Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Finally killed Isaac with The Lost last night with sort of a ludicrous gear. I accidentally stepped on a dice room somewhere along the way and ended up with Penetrating + Small Planet + Ludovice tear that was sort of difficult to control and I was sure it would ruin my run. Good thing I also got Guppy mode (along with Dead Cat) so my flies took care of everything while I struggled with the small planet's orbiting effect guiding the tear away from any enemies.

Ran out of lives before making it to ??? though. Stupid Chest with multiple Gurdy Juniors. :(

I'm probably gonna start cheesing for a Dead Cat with all my Lost runs from now on. Not only does it give you 9 lives, it gives you the confidence to actually play like you normally would instead of cowering into a corner all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I just made it to the boss rush with a somewhat sub-optimal build, made it about halfway through before blundering into a red poop, ran out of lives later fighting the heart. At this point I think I'm just gonna start scumming for dead cats unless I get something REALLY good in the first item room.

To the people poo-pooing scumming a good start on the lost, for one try playing him first, but really it comes down to the fact that anything that involves health or taking damage to make use of an item is more than worthless, it's one less thing that could possibly help you in the long run. To have any chance of winning with the lost you need some overwhelming power by the time you get to the really meaty bosses, most of which have some nearly unavoidable attacks, so you need to be able to kill them before they hit you.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Why is it luck ups continue to raise my luck stat bar until it is maxxed, but when I generate infinite tears up and speed up pills my tear and speed stats never went above 3 bars? I assume there's some limit to how much the pills can change a stat.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sanctum posted:

Why is it luck ups continue to raise my luck stat bar until it is maxxed, but when I generate infinite tears up and speed up pills my tear and speed stats never went above 3 bars? I assume there's some limit to how much the pills can change a stat.

Base fire rate has a cap. You can only break the cap with Cancer and Soy Milk afaik. It seems like that cap is a lot easier to hit in Rebirth, too.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
So Isaac's Tears work incredibly well with Mom's Knife. It auto-charges when you charge a knife shot and keeps charging. I got a bunch of damage up stuff to make huge balls then I just charge the knife as a permanent shield and walk around hitting spacebar over and over.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 24, 2014

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
gently caress me. I was having such a good run and then I accidentally picked up ludovico in the chest without even pausing to see what it was. hosed me up completely. At least I unlocked a couple of things

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I hadn't touched Lazarus until yesterday but I got some insanely good luck/combo of items - pentagram, halo, crown of thorns, mushroom (the +all stats/size one), dark pact and then monstro's lung, the splash tears item, and parasite. One charge of the lung would cover the room in massive constantly splitting tears that would also have poisoned everything if they didn't die. Each wave of the boss rush took one charge to take out.

dis astranagant posted:

Base fire rate has a cap. You can only break the cap with Cancer and Soy Milk afaik. It seems like that cap is a lot easier to hit in Rebirth, too.

The onion item does too I believe.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.
Someone mentioned downloading a 100% save. There is one available here:
http://www.speedrun.com/isaacrebirth/resources

I recommend doing this if you think unlocks are boring and you just want to start with the real game: trying to win as fast as you can :greenangel:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Just had a Samson run where I got the razor and whore of babylon. It was fantastic, but I kept loving up and died in the dark room despite the crazy damage I could summon at will. If I'm honest whore of babylon should activate at one heart for everyone, not just Eve. Not because it makes it safer to do, but because everything does full heart damage after beating Mom, including blood donation machines which makes it loving annoying to stay at half a red heart.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
ok whats causing this? i have the fast-forward effect of the broken stopwatch on every room. Didnt pick up the broken stopwatch at all

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Dear game,

Stop giving me Curse of Darkness in Sheol. I'm just going to turn my gamma up anyway. Stop being a dick.

Thanks,

Crotch Bat

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

As Eden, you start with the Epic Fetus and a Nail, and the room directly below the starting room has a Quarter hidden in a pot. I know the game is obvious when it wants you to win, but goddamn.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Rotate yourself in a circle and swing that poo poo like a wrecking ball. The hairball also gets bigger and stronger the more stuff you whacked on the floor.

Thanks, just finished the challenge. Takes some time to get used to the hairball, but it's really freaking powerful.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

GeneX posted:

Thanks, just finished the challenge. Takes some time to get used to the hairball, but it's really freaking powerful.

I'd make a comment about using guppies hairball being way easier with an analog stick, but everything in this game is way easier with an analog stick so that would be redundant.

Isaac is so much easier with a 360 controller you don't even know.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Does Brimstone synergise with Dr. Foetus or do they override each other?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah, there's a difference between hard and tedious and The Lost falls squarely on the tedious side.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

So Brimstone + Tammy's head is basically the most powerful combo in the game right?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
So, let's share some stuff that might not be too obvious, I'll start. Obviously some stuff has been posted before but I thought I'd try and gather some of it up. A lot of this applied to the original Isaac as well.

-In the room where the gold poop is in the middle of the room surrounded by four unbreakable blocks, you can still destroy it by running sideways and angling your shots into it, and if it explodes into coins instead of the counterfeit penny, some of the coins will be pushed outside due to unit collision. Useful when you don't have flying.

-If you keep pushing Isaac into him, the devil beggar can take up to two "offerings" per unit of damage you take. Additionally it (and the blood donation machines) will continue to accept your health even if you're invincible through items/hitstun.

-Black flies, non-champion spawning sacs (those coccoons that spit bullets/bombs/spiders), white stationary skull turrets that're inactive, and Satan/Mom's foot have no hurtbox and can safely be collided with.

-If ground spikes are set diagonally, you can carefully wedge through them without taking damage.

-Poop next to holes in the floor can be blown up to fill them like rocks. Additionally, stepping on rocks next to holes with Leo/Thunder Thighs from the right direction has the same effect as blowing them up with bombs.

-D6/Perthro rerolls will pull from the room that they're used in. This means that if you bring in, say, a wheel of fortune/judgement card into a devil room and get an item from the slot machine/beggar, you can reroll it to get a devil room item. Curse rooms, secret rooms, angel rooms and devil rooms all have their own item pools. Additionally, if you don't care about Mega Satan, you can use the D6 to reroll the angel's key piece into an angel room item for another chance at that sick trinity shield/holy mantle/etc.

-If you have a lot of time, locked doors can be cheesed on rooms with Curse of the Maze by repeatedly entering and leaving doorways nearby. You'll eventually be mazed into the locked room.

Anyone else have stuff to add?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

What's with the walking skulls? I just lost two lives to one of them because he keeps delaying his shots.

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
Finally got the Lamb with the Lost. The RNG really blessed me on this one:

Lil Brimstone and Dead Cat adjacent to the starting room, Death's Touch on the first Devil Deal, Goat Head on the second floor, Holy Mantle on the third floor, only stat increasing items from bosses, Small Rock on the first marked rock I exploded, Magic Mushroom on the first mushroom I exploded, Dry Baby on the first skull I exploded, Krampus with the Battery, which by itself kills most bosses. Also got a Devil Deal with two guppy pieces in Depths 1. Carried an Emperor Card from the Depths all the way to the Dark Room. I also got Anti-Gravity from the second floor. I wouldn't have gotten it on purpose, but I was under Curse of the Blind. It ended up being great against Satan's third stage.

This. This is the run we dream of.

Still missing the Boss Rush though. This run probably could've done if I had rushed it a bit, but I was being really careful and milking every floor. I was really scared of screwing it up.

One thing I enjoy about the Lost is how I get nervous and excited in the same way I used to when I was just getting started with this game.

The Duggler posted:

So Brimstone + Tammy's head is basically the most powerful combo in the game right?

It is pretty great and always a joy to get.

Huh, didn't know about a couple of those. You can also get through flames set diagonally. It's a pretty common Curse Room layout. You could also do it in the original. It's a bit harder with the analog stick, though.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You don't actually have to have all three items at the same time to become Guppy. As long as you've touched Guppy's head/paw once, it'll count. So you can pick up the head, drop it, pick up the paw, drop it, and then find the tail, and you'll transform.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ariong posted:

What's with the walking skulls? I just lost two lives to one of them because he keeps delaying his shots.

Those assholes tend to hold their fire until you make a move. It's best to keep juking around them, because if you hold still they'll just slowly advance and try to box you in.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Ariong posted:

Move 90 degrees on them and they'll open up.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

AbstractNapper posted:

So what is it that unlocks Samson? It says beat two floors in a row or something like that, but I had Basement Boy since November 2nd and I got Mama's Boy 3 days ago, but Samson unlocked only yesterday when again I got no damage in the two Basement floors. Is this a known bug ?

The * Boy achievements only count the second floor of each chapter. You can take all the damage you like on Basement 1 and no damage on 2 and still unlock Basement Boy, for instance.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kaethela posted:

The * Boy achievements only count the second floor of each chapter. You can take all the damage you like on Basement 1 and no damage on 2 and still unlock Basement Boy, for instance.

no poo poo? that does not sound intentional

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I was not aware Epic Fetus synergized with triple shot :stare:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how badass does it look

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ZearothK posted:

Does Brimstone synergise with Dr. Foetus or do they override each other?

One overrides the other, not sure if one takes precedent or if it's just the most recent one you pick up.

Also, never pick up Dr. Fetus unless you have Pyromaniac. It's not worth it. Epic Fetus, on the other hand...

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
If it's anything like quad shot it'd be 3 rapid strikes on the same spot.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Manatee Cannon posted:

One overrides the other, not sure if one takes precedent or if it's just the most recent one you pick up.

Dr. Fetus takes precedence. Then I found Tammy's head and cried.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus is a damage downgrade from Brimstone as well so you really hosed up there.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Is there any goon IRC channel for this?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Manatee Cannon posted:

Dr. Fetus is a damage downgrade from Brimstone as well so you really hosed up there.

I feel like Dr. Fetus is a terrible choice in general unless you already have a few damage ups (and not too much or too little range).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Che Delilas posted:

I feel like Dr. Fetus is a terrible choice in general unless you already have a few damage ups (and not too much or too little range).

Dr. Fetus is really good if you have a high damage stat; you oneshot non-bosses and take out most bosses in 4 or 5 bombs, and it makes some of the harder to hit bosses (like Scolex, Carrion Queen, or Mask of Infamy) a breeze.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's still a terrible choice because you can hurt yourself with it and you have to time it right to do damage. It's pretty much a straight downgrade to regular tears unless you have Pyromaniac, since then it can heal you.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
That's a shame, I assumed it was like Mom's Knife+Brimstone, and hemorrhaged bombs.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Tollymain posted:

how badass does it look

AnonSpore posted:

If it's anything like quad shot it'd be 3 rapid strikes on the same spot.

It's this but for bosses that aren't mobile, which is most of them, it's just instant death. Isaac and ??? took 2 waves and fell over.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

LaughMyselfTo posted:

That's a shame, I assumed it was like Mom's Knife+Brimstone, and hemorrhaged bombs.

Quad shot and Loki's Horns has you poo poo out 16 bombs at once on occasion. That is the very definition of not worth it, though.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
It's worth remembering that while Dr. Fetus is situational, it does also give you access to literally all secret rooms, hidden hatches, item rocks, items behind rocks, mushrooms and skulls and allows you to bomb every door in rooms you don't want to deal with. Everything put together you can end up with tons of extra hearts and items if you find it early on, especially on Hard mode where you very rarely have extra bombs to spare.

Obviously Ipecac is almost always better but Fetus isn't a "straight downgrade" at all in a lot of situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tollymain posted:

no poo poo? that does not sound intentional

I highly doubt it is, but there you go. It's probably the only reason I already have all of them except Dark Boy. :v: