Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Maro said something about this in one of his recent-ish podcasts - probably a few months ago. He said their original plan was to make these things "may" abilities to prevent this kind of stupidity from happening and to give people more options, but the developers complained about having to program all the prompts for every trigger so they changed it to mostly not optional.

Speaking for lazy programmers everywhere I can assure you that we only wish we held that much sway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

There have been card designs that were rejected for MTGO impracticality.

There's also the thing about how they had to code an entirely new functionality for whims of the fates.

And how at the community cup someone managed to get their opponent to hit an empty board on a whims because rtfc.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Ranpire posted:

By twitch names: NumotTheNummy (Kenji Egashira), dzyl (Jan van der Vegt), MattiasNL (also often found skyping with Jan), greghatch (Greg Hatch, rarely streams anymore but it's amazing when he does), calebdmtg (Caleb Durward, I guess he's a big name but he just started streaming recently). v4's system requirements knocked out most all of the smaller streamers I used to watch, sadly. These days it's mostly just Numot, the EU guys and the Channel Fireball crew who are on consistently.

I would totally recommend https://www.twitch.tv/tedsternator because that guy is super cool and made the pro tour on his very first attempt and streams every weekday around noon EST and at other random times when possible and plays every format but vintage and legacy.

Also it's me come watch me punt games.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
"whoops"

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Is it bad that the first two thoughts that went through my head were "at least that wasn't in a bathtub" and "I wonder if that's worth $25k"?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Zoness posted:

Is it bad that the first two thoughts that went through my head were "at least that wasn't in a bathtub" and "I wonder if that's worth $25k"?

Looks like a box of theros-block draft leavings, so in terms of financial value it's probably not even worth picking them back up.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

Unfortunately (much like the "m" hotkey), it's not particularly discoverable.
What does the "m" hot key do?!

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Lancelot posted:

What does the "m" hot key do?!

if you hold 'm' when you tap your mana, it'll always give you the first option, without the need to select. it's real good with urborg in play, or if you just need colourless mana.

so:

T: add {U}
T: add {B}

if you just want colourless, hold M and you'll get blue mana without needing to pick. if you want blue mana, you're in luck there, too!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Chamale posted:

Is this Best of SCG video on Youtube? I know they have recordings of the whole games, but I'd love a compilation that's just funny moments.

Hella late, and it might be answered, but yeah, it's on YouTube. The playlist is short, and they're all fun plays, so you might wanna give all of them a look if you have a spare hour.

Unrelated, but is this "when someone quotes you, the quote is highlighted" thing new?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
It's a feature from the last week or so, yes.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

a dozen swans posted:

if you hold 'm' when you tap your mana, it'll always give you the first option, without the need to select. it's real good with urborg in play, or if you just need colourless mana.

so:

T: add {U}
T: add {B}

if you just want colourless, hold M and you'll get blue mana without needing to pick. if you want blue mana, you're in luck there, too!
This is so useful. Thanks!

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Opened a box of Khans because I hate money and it was decent, but a bit meh until the last two packs, which defied the odds and had two awesome foils. A foil treasure cruise and a foil windswept heath. Make bad financial MTG decisions, it will always work out.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Leaving aside questions about what should happen, I have a pragmatic question about triggers on your opponent's turn. We all know you're allowed to put a physical item on your deck if you want to remember to do something during your upkeep. Obviously you can ask your opponent to do the same, since that's just...talking. Are you allowed to put a die on their library? The answer feels like it should be "no" but I'm curious if there's something in the comprehensive rules that disallows it. Or would it just fall under unsportsmanlike conduct?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Boxman posted:

Leaving aside questions about what should happen, I have a pragmatic question about triggers on your opponent's turn. We all know you're allowed to put a physical item on your deck if you want to remember to do something during your upkeep. Obviously you can ask your opponent to do the same, since that's just...talking. Are you allowed to put a die on their library? The answer feels like it should be "no" but I'm curious if there's something in the comprehensive rules that disallows it. Or would it just fall under unsportsmanlike conduct?

Gonna go with my hunch and say no. You can obviously ask them, but physically doing stuff to their cards is most likely Not Okay, with an obvious argument being that you're trying to distract them from something.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Boxman posted:

I think this falls under a general "don't touch my poo poo without permission" rule, even if there isn't a black letter rule on it in tourney regs.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Yawgmoth posted:

I think this falls under a general "don't touch my poo poo without permission" rule, even if there isn't a black letter rule on it in tourney regs.

Lay out a bunch of dice in the red zone in the shape of an arrow pointing to your opponent's library imo.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Toshimo posted:

Lay out a bunch of dice in the red zone in the shape of an arrow pointing to your opponent's library imo.
Write "on your upkeep, I" on a napkin, put that in the red zone.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Yawgmoth posted:

Write "on your upkeep, I" on a napkin, put that in the red zone.

This would have saved us pages of triggerchat. It needs to become the standard.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Toshimo posted:

This would have saved us pages of triggerchat. It needs to become the standard.

I don't think WotC can afford the outlays necessary to teach MtG players what napkins are.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Attorney at Funk posted:

I don't think WotC can afford the outlays necessary to teach MtG players what napkins are.

We can just do the same thing but with Silence.

Because I'm pretty sure that's the only time you'd cast Silence.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
The key is to only play magic at establishments that coincidentally always have cocktail napkins handy.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I play magic at martini bars

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Gyshall posted:

You may be joking (who knows!) but there's a local Seattle place that holds prereleases for the 21+ crowd across the street at a bar, and it's awesome.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Gyshall posted:

I frequently play at a coffee shop/bar with a few friends. It is always amazing how many players come out of the woodwork when you play magic in public.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

En Fuego posted:

You may be joking (who knows!) but there's a local Seattle place that holds prereleases for the 21+ crowd across the street at a bar, and it's awesome.

I'm super interested in how this actually works; since I have been told many times that WotC won't sanction a 21+ location to run magic (and therefore they couldn't run pre-releases).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There's plenty of places that do it, but all unsanctioned AFAIK. Wizards might have some rules about it, but mostly because the bar is unlikely to have Wizards Event Reporter installed.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Entropic posted:

There's plenty of places that do it, but all unsanctioned AFAIK. Wizards might have some rules about it, but mostly because the bar is unlikely to have Wizards Event Reporter installed.

"What do you mean this isnt sanctioned!?" is not a thing Id expect to hear while drinking

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ever since they've made repeated changes to planes walker points and byes, sanctioned vs. Unsanctioned events haven't really made much of a difference. This is good because it allows stores to host proxy legacy events which end up being fairly popular.

Also BSJ while your new av is v cute I will miss your derpy guy. BYOB work crew :smoobles:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
IIRC Kenji Tsumura was known for putting dice on his opponent's decks to remind them to pay for pacts, so I guess it was legal at one point and that on the pro tour and/or in japan people tend to care about that less?

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008

Zoness posted:

IIRC Kenji Tsumura was known for putting dice on his opponent's decks to remind them to pay for pacts, so I guess it was legal at one point and that on the pro tour and/or in japan people tend to care about that less?

If I do this with a hive mind in play, I'd just be being a dick, right? "Don't forget to pay that green mana you don't ha—oh."

TenjouUtena posted:

I'm super interested in how this actually works; since I have been told many times that WotC won't sanction a 21+ location to run magic (and therefore they couldn't run pre-releases).
Atomic Empire doesn't have liquor, but can at least offer you beer on tap.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
I don't see why you can't demand tightness of play to the point where you are verbally passing priority back and forth verbally to end steps.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

TenjouUtena posted:

I don't know on that end ... I know though that they run all ages at the same time inside their store proper, so maybe that's just how they get around it?

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

Booklegger posted:

I love getting tanked and playing Burn on Legacy FNM nights.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Kraus posted:

I don't see why you can't demand tightness of play to the point where you are verbally passing priority back and forth verbally to end steps.

Enjoy your 0-0 draw.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Kraus posted:

I honestly can't tell anymore, you're joking right?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Sotar posted:

Opened a box of Khans because I hate money and it was decent, but a bit meh until the last two packs, which defied the odds and had two awesome foils. A foil treasure cruise and a foil windswept heath. Make bad financial MTG decisions, it will always work out.

Gotta agree. My buddy and I split a box when it came out, and the most exhilarating pulls were a Polluted Delta and a foil Treasure Cruise. (Seems oddly common among boxes.)

I will say, though, that buying a couple of packs at Target has been a great return on investment for me. I've bought a couple every time I've gone for the last couple months. In that time I've probably opened a box worth of packs (I go there a lot) and have assembled a full playset of both Siege Rhino and Windswept Heath, and a couple of one-offs like Sarkhan, one of each fetch, and a foil Wingmate Roc. Moral of the story, Target has good packs.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The answer for triggers is clearly not only to remind your opponent, but to remind the people in games you are observing, and give the DCI the means and authority to enforce this lethally. So your opponent misses their Nyx-fleeced Ram trigger and you don't remind them? Sleeping with the fishes! Guy next to you doesn't remember sulfuric vortex? They and you get it! If you, Johnny Streamwatcher, see a missed trigger and don't immediately use every means at your disposal to inform the players? It's curtains for you! Just sitting around while your friends are playing magic and one misses a trigger? You better get three coffins ready!

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Booklegger posted:

Atomic Empire is an excellent place. I play very casually so being able to drink good beer and chill and turn cards sideways is fun times.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
AE krew sounding off

though i just play Legacy

e: dale's pale ale makes me better at magic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Ever since they've made repeated changes to planes walker points and byes, sanctioned vs. Unsanctioned events haven't really made much of a difference. This is good because it allows stores to host proxy legacy events which end up being fairly popular.

Also BSJ while your new av is v cute I will miss your derpy guy. BYOB work crew :smoobles:

Which derpy guy? Pumpkin man?

I was thinking going back to dancing Howard moon after the holidays

E: hmm nope this is the right thread

• Locked thread