Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Zurui posted:

Jeeesus. How did you not just give up on this? I guess I've only backed Kickstarters where the game work is effectively done and they're just waiting on printing/fabrication.

Because my credit card company refused to do the chargeback because it had been so long between the time I called and when Mark Rein Hagen stole my money.

EDIT:

So once I get Democracy (and before I end up selling it), the next late Kickstarter that has the title for longest standing vaporware is Apotheosis Drive X.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

VoodooXT posted:

So once I get Democracy (and before I end up selling it), the next late Kickstarter that has the title for longest standing vaporware is Apotheosis Drive X.

Which just sent an update out too, eerily enough.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Zurui posted:

I guess I've only backed Kickstarters where the game work is effectively done and they're just waiting on printing/fabrication.

This is the only kind of kickstarter I'll consider backing. If there isn't a rules draft or demo or some other proof most of the writing is already done, I'm just gonna sit back and wait and see.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Just got this email re: Dracula Dossier and TimeWatch:

TimeWatch posted:

We thought you might like to know that Kevin Kulp is writing a Dracula Dossier campaign frame for TimeWatch. Called A Time of Coffins, in which you're more than a little surprised to learn that in the future you will go up against Dracula's forces... and lose badly. Now you must risk paradox and face down your future vampiric self, or risk Dracula gaining access to TimeWatch technology. Because if you think a master vampire is bad, just imagine one who can time travel!

:holy:

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is the only kind of kickstarter I'll consider backing. If there isn't a rules draft or demo or some other proof most of the writing is already done, I'm just gonna sit back and wait and see.

That's generally been my policy. I need something that indicates the rules are at least mostly done. So if you have an introductory adventure or rule book that isn't laid out then I tend to pass. I'm willing to cut established companies a bit more slack and if someone managed a lot of successful kickstarters then I might give them some slack. But so many people have no idea of basic project management that it just makes backing someone's random passion project seem like it's too much of a pitfall.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Got my dwarven forge stuff. About forty pounds of plastic. Only issue is that the stuff that was supposed to be painted wasn't. I've contacted them, and hopefully they'll fix it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Speaking of interminable Kickstarters!

quote:

Hey there, folks --

Sorry for the lack of updates. I had intended a "keep quiet while I push to finish, and then just release" strategy, but life exploded a bit, and that turned out to be yet another not-good idea.

Thanks so much to everybody who has dropped me a line over the past few weeks, checking up on me, giving words of encouragement, etc. -- it has been very, very much appreciated.

OK, so the tl;dr version of this update: You'll have the PDF before Christmas.

To unpack that a bit more, for folks who'd like more detail: I expect to be delivering you the finished core rulebook in PDF at some point between now and mid-December. I'm actually shooting for sooner, rather than later (my last day of teaching my class is tomorrow, so I have a solid week during Thanksgiving break which I can devote to work -- and I have no plans for the holiday). In any case, it will be before the Christmas break (my oldest daughter is flying in to visit, so I will be done before then, so that I can actually spend time with her).

As a way to keep you in the loop, and (honestly) to give myself a daily goal of keeping things moving forward, I will be posting daily updates between now and delivery, letting you know exactly what I did that day. I apologize in advance to those who might feel that's a bit spammy -- you won't have to endure it for too long.

Thanks as always. To close out this update, here's a look at some artwork from the book that you might not have seen yet:

[art goes here, one of which a backer swears is just a Photoshop-filtered picture of Bruce Lee]

Talk to you again tomorrow,

Gareth-Michael Skarka
Lawrence, KS
23 November 2014

I think it's been about a month since he promised to stop doing updates and just get the thing done. I guess he couldn't resist his annual "by Christmas" promise of satisfaction. His dedication to "real soon now" is perverse.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Although it was something that felt pretty risky when I was planning the kickstarter for Legacy, I'm glad I put out the full text free to backers. I've had interesting feedback already and it doesn't hurt to show a little trust in your customers. Plus, I've only had like three people cancel their pledge, so I don't think people are taking advantage of the deal to rip me off.

(If you're interested in giving Legacy a try I still have a few slots open on my hangouts game tonight at 7PM GMT. Check this link or message me for details: https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/c7crfsnmr56un7670jnkev92rjk)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Some news from the Call of Cthulhu project:

quote:

We also decided to not print softback versions of the Call of Cthulhu Rulebook or Investigator Handbook. There was limited demand for them in this format, and personally we think all 7th Edition backers deserve hardback versions of these great books. All softback backers will now get a FREE upgrade to the hardback version. Those backers who originally ordered the hardback or leatherette versions will not be left out – you will receive store credit of $40 each, with our thanks. We hope that this goes some way to recognizing your support and patience.
So I'll get the hardcover versions and $80 in store credit. Pretty cool.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Woah, that's unexpected. Looks like I'm getting that Innsmouth gold after all.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Well, some people are saying that you could read that statement as "you'll get $40 for each backer." So, I can see that... Still, $40 free money is alright by me.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Well, some people are saying that you could read that statement as "you'll get $40 for each backer." So, I can see that... Still, $40 free money is alright by me.

There's no way it can be read any other way.

It's still $40 in credit, though!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Plague of Hats posted:

Speaking of interminable Kickstarters!

I think it's been about a month since he promised to stop doing updates and just get the thing done. I guess he couldn't resist his annual "by Christmas" promise of satisfaction. His dedication to "real soon now" is perverse.

But he released art too!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wow, thats pretty drat photoshop.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Mastermind posted:

But he released art too!

Well, it's not Bruce Lee.

It's Dragon Lee. First image search result for "Dragon Lee" or "Bruce Lee Impersonator".

And no, it's not public domain.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Holy poo poo, I didn't think it'd be that bad.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Well, it's not Bruce Lee.

It's Dragon Lee. First image search result for "Dragon Lee" or "Bruce Lee Impersonator".

And no, it's not public domain.

It is truly the Kickstarter gift that never quits giving

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

While I'm glad I'm only in this for ten bucks, it just makes me madder that I paid like $60 or whatever it was for the Buckaroo Banzai game he'll never release because that'd probably suck too.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
We found the belt!

original link: http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/041/2/0/webber_gun_belt_by_james_flynn-d5uk2rg.jpg

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

This is hilarious. Is he doing those himself or did he pay someone for it?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Knowing nothing about this KS or the person (or persons) behind it, I just did a Google Image Search on this image, and this is the first result that came up:

Which apparently comes from a Korean film called "Musa" or "Musa the Warrior" or something like that.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Coming soon*, Asian Space Cowboys, from GMS

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is hilarious. Is he doing those himself or did he pay someone for it?

I vaguely recall that he had some artist on board for the first year or so, but that guy bailed for ~reasons~ around the same time people who paid to get their faces poorly Photoshopped onto Photoshop-filtered tableaus started complaining the art looked like poo poo.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Knowing nothing about this KS or the person (or persons) behind it, I just did a Google Image Search on this image, and this is the first result that came up:

Which apparently comes from a Korean film called "Musa" or "Musa the Warrior" or something like that.

It's an awesome film with lots of oversized-blade action. People should definitely track it down.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I am really tempted to go into the update comments and ask if he's going to pay and credit the owners of ll the pictures he's edited.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

I am really tempted to go into the update comments and ask if he's going to pay and credit the owners of ll the pictures he's edited.

I Googled "Gareth Michael Skarka" and found this guy's blog post about how much of a douchebag he is, so I highly recommend doing this. :v:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Evil Mastermind posted:

If no one else has done it, once I get home to Photoshop I'm going to make a composite or two for RPG.net. :v:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I Googled "Gareth Michael Skarka" and found this guy's blog post about how much of a douchebag he is, so I highly recommend doing this. :v:

Oh, he's already blown up at me a few times on G+. The thing you always have to remember about him is that the only valid moral outrage is his moral outrage.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Also worth remembering that GMS stalks the people that complain about how unprofessional he is on social media, barging in to their G+/twitter/etc. conversations to tell them to cease and desist their conspiracy to ruin him by pointing out that he's unprofessional, which according to him is slander and libel. He'll then Internet detective their address and threaten to threaten to sue if they don't immediately leave the Internet.

He does this mostly on posts that have absolutely nothing to do with him, which he thinks are secretly people talking in code about him behind his back.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So did people know this guy has severe mental problems before backing his Kickstarter or are you guys just daredevils with your money?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I Googled "Gareth Michael Skarka" and found Gau's blog post about how much of a douchebag he is, so I highly recommend doing this. :v:

Fixed that for you.

Despite the implosion of his rep, Gau wasn't wrong about much there.

GrandpaPants posted:

So did people know this guy has severe mental problems before backing his Kickstarter or are you guys just daredevils with your money?

Generally it wasn't as obvious, and at the time he had a decent amount of freelance work under his belt.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Generally it wasn't as obvious, and at the time he had a decent amount of freelance work under his belt.

Three years ago he wasn't this publicly a douchebag. It's pretty much all come out during the course of this KS.

e: That "minimum wage job" comment on Gau's blog was actually directed at me when I suggested that maybe he should work on his customer service skills. I work in medical software testing, and yet amazingly still need customer service skills.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 24, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Can't think of anything witty to put on it.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Can't think of anything witty to put on it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Plague of Hats posted:

If no one else has done it, once I get home to Photoshop I'm going to make a composite or two for RPG.net. :v:

Here's another.

Did a search for "Pioneertown". :effort:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

That wasn't the original background. I wasn't able to find the original background. :ssh:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, don't I feel like a dope!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Okay, so honest question here: how legal is taking non-public domain art and editing it to put in a paid product? Is this actually illegal or is it just "shady"?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I think this is enough:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Also worth remembering that GMS stalks the people that complain about how unprofessional he is on social media, barging in to their G+/twitter/etc. conversations to tell them to cease and desist their conspiracy to ruin him by pointing out that he's unprofessional, which according to him is slander and libel. He'll then Internet detective their address and threaten to threaten to sue if they don't immediately leave the Internet.

He does this mostly on posts that have absolutely nothing to do with him, which he thinks are secretly people talking in code about him behind his back.

My favorite one of these was when GMS started sending "cease & desist" e-mail and posting smugly about Internet Detecting this guy's real address. Except it turns out he was harassing some random guy, because of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Mastermind posted:

Okay, so honest question here: how legal is taking non-public domain art and editing it to put in a paid product? Is this actually illegal or is it just "shady"?

Copy without attribution is usually illegal, even when "remixed". The artist Erró has faced trouble over using copyrighted characters in his pop-ensemble artwork without direct and full attribution, and he's a freaking artist. Artists tend to get a whole lot of leeway.

• Locked thread