Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

You should go for The Avengers, and while it definitely has not as much of a historical note as the others, it is genuinely enjoyable. But maybe the last two Iron Man movies just gave us Stockholm Syndrom.

This is my first time doing this, and I had to think a bit about what I wanted to put in my list.

Saving Private Ryan is a movie I always wanted to watch, but I never got around to. I loved movies like We Were Soldiers and Full Metal Jacket.

2001: A Space Odyssey; I did technically watch this, but when I was really young, and I could not really think about it all that hard.

Aliens is the movie I am totally hyped for. I just watched the first Alien, and holy poo poo that was amazing.

American Psycho was something I never heard off, I only saw a few pictures around SA for a while. Interested to see what it is.

Pulp Fiction. I am ashamed of myself. I love Tarantino movies to bits.

Apocalypse Now, see Ryan.

Citizen Kane may be a bit too old for my taste but whatever.

Requiem for a Dream, literally no idea what this is about. I only know that beautiful musical piece (I assume they belong together :shrug: )

Scarface. No excuse.

Goodfellas, as a fan of The Godfather I am a bit hyped for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Michaellaneous, welcome to the thread! Great list you've got there, I'll pick Goodfellas for you.

Quickscope420dad gave me Frank.

And it was brilliant.

Much less directly inspired by Frank Sidebottom than I expected, it is a film about a band creating music and it's enigmatic frontman, the titular Frank (with the head). It is funny and touching and deep.

The music that the band creates is taken seriously despite it being quite unusual and out there and could have felt like a mockery or vague attempt to just mimic an overly artistic style and it means that the film, despite being quite funny throughout, warrants taking itself and the deeper issues and questions that it brings up more seriously than you would expect from a film at least in part inspired by someone who chiefly embodied silliness.

Brilliant.

List of Shame: (in order of time on the list)

1 - Dreams - One of the few Kurosawa films I've not seen, not a fan of anthology films.

2 - A Prophet - Heard almost nothing but good things about this, and prison films are usually interesting.

3 - The Host - South Korean monster movie. teenage love triangle featuring a monster based on the novel by Stephenie Meyer? [this reference is now old and even crapper]

4 - Assault on Precinct 13 - Interesting premise & got a good interesting review earlier in the thread too.

5 - Haywire - Another apparently solid action flick, Soderbergh is usually realiable and entertaining in genre mode.

6 - Youth of the Beast - A Seijun Suzuki film that I know nothing about, which is possibly the best thing going in to a Seijun Suzuki film.

7 - Paths of Glory - Early Kubrick and what little I know about it seems very interesting.

8 - 13 Assassins - Takashi Miike's acclaimed samurai epic is one that I've not caught yet, must make amends.

9 - Achilles and the Tortoise - final film of Kitano's 'surrealist autobiographical trilogy'...[Catching up with Kitano 2/4]

10- What Richard Did - new - Only film by the brilliant Lenny Abrahamson that I haven't seen yet.

Shame No More: [28] [top three] Psycho | The Third Man | The Long Goodbye | Harakiri | The Silence of the Lambs | Pi | Jaws | Panic Room | Black Swan | Star Trek II | The Brothers Bloom | Hugo | Badlands | Shame | LA Confidential | The Right Stuff | The Evil Dead | Hanna | The Master | The Untouchables | Glengarry Glen Ross | The Seventh Seal | The Apartment | The Player | Ronin | The Grand Budapest Hotel | Glory to the Filmmaker! | Frank

Chewy Bitems fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 15, 2014

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Chewy Bitems I want not ruin your sunday, but please watch Dreams.

-----------------------

Red Cliff
In short: Good told multi main character story with great and nice to see mass scenes. Solid hongkong movie, but for a John Woo movie to less of his magic in my opinion.

Red Cliff Is a solid build work from Grandmaster John Woo, but so much you like the mass scenes so did you miss a an individual point of view in this movie, his genius!
Do you remember the first Woo movie you saw? I' m sure my first touch with his work was Hard Boiled with the fantastic Chow Yun-Fat or a more actual and controverse work MI2, they are filled with Woo magic.
All the time you feel and see a John Woo movie. Do not misunderstand me Red Cliff is a good movie and it makes fun to watch it, but it is filmed like any Hongkong movie and anywhere could be the Direktor of it.
In any John Woo movie you found a Scene with birds the white rats oft the air someone could say :p but to make my point this key scene of a Woo movie himself feels fail.
A single bird flying around over the ships and "yeh" that's it?
Nothing more as a yeh followed by the hard feeling that I miss something, something of John Woo's magic you see in all his other works.
Enjoy Red Cliff maybe you find what I miss or we cycle around and
miss something together... waiting for the next Woo movie.

I give Red Cliff a 6.0/10.

-----------------------

My List:
  1. Paulette – another unseen french drug movie

2. Inside Llewyn Davis – mysterious I don´t like your musik must i have seen this movie, film? "NEW on the List"

3. Total Recal (remake) – Nothing can top the original

4. Nightmare (remake) - I love the originals! all tasers I saw, a voice wispers "no no no" to me.

5. The Physician - the speech book was good so I have my own pictures in mind no place for
    this movie

6. Big Miracle - Drew Barrymore is great no idea why I missed this movie

7. 47 Ronin - read about the misstakes and trouble to bring this movie on screen, not realy
    interest to see neo as samurai...

8. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues - first part wasn't funny, sure the second part too

9. A Madea Christmas - nothing absolutly nothing tops Bad Santa as christmass movie!

10. Grand Hotel Budapest – good cast but I have taken so far, no note about the movie.

Shameful Watched (001): Slumdog Millionaire [6.5/10], (002): Life of Pi [5.5/10], (003): The King‘s Speech [7.5/10], (004): Donnie Darko [8.5/10], (005): The cold light of Day [5.5/10], (006): La vie d'Adèle - Chapitre 1&2 [9.0/10], (007): Red Cliff [6.0/10], (008):

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
XenJ, watch The Grand Budapest Hotel! :) It's definitely typical of Wes Anderson, but I enjoyed it immensely and it's gorgeous to look at.

I'm jumping into this to motivate myself to squeeze watching new movies into my schedule around schoolwork and the internet and poo poo. Looking forward to taking part with you guys!

My list:

A Nightmare on Elm Street - I was always scared of even watching most horror movies as a kid, but my girlfriend is super into them so I've been watching lots of new ones while also catching up on all the classics I wish I'd seen when I was younger.

Shane - I love Westerns, and I've heard this is a particularly interesting one. Also, penismightier's old avatar with the low-down Yankee liar quote always made me want to watch it.

Upstream Color - I saw Primer a long time ago and enjoyed it a lot, so I naturally want to watch this. I even got it a while ago but just haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

The King of Comedy - Like lots of people, I adore Scorsese, but I still haven't watched quite all of his films. This would fill in one more of those gaps!

Rashomon - I haven't seen any Kurosawa, so I basically picked one at random from his filmography list. If someone picks this for me, you could also substitute a different Kurosawa if you want.

I'm gonna leave it at 5 for now. Hit me!

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 18, 2014

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
Upstream Color, without question. Shane Carruth is far and a way the most promising new director out there. If you loved Primer, you're gunna wanna watch this two or three times in a row, not only to get your head round everything that's going on in it, but also to just enjoy the cinematography and score.

Trip report: Planet Of The Apes (1969) I dunno how I feel about this film. I think the cinematography and score is really bad. The big "hunt" scene at the start is just a colossal silly mess, as are all the action sequences throughout the film (which mostly feel unnecessary anyway) and the ape costumes look stupid as hell. The acting is infuriating, and the 30 minutes or so of character development at the start seems to be completely irrelevant for the rest of the film (especially since Taylor's two companions die so fast). However, a lot of the themes explored through the script are really great and can be applied as analogs to a lot of timeless human conflicts. The frustrations and tensions generated between Taylor's position and Dr Zaius' is classic.
The final scene is iconic and also the best cinematic shot of the whole film by a long way, but Heston's "GOD drat YOU ALL TO HELL" lines are wooden as hell.

My list now:

1. Metropolis - A film that keeps popping its head up all over the place in references and discussion, but I have never seen. Unlike Casablanca I've not even attempted this one, and have no real aversion to giving it a try except for older / black and white films tend to have fairly poor audio fidelity due to aging which sometimes keeps me away from old classics.

2. Weekend at Bernie's - My only experience of this film is similar to that of my experience of Metropolis - only know of it from references by others. It seems to have had some influence in 1980 / 90s dark comedy though.

3. The notebook - I know nothing about it other than the premise as described on IMDB and its IMDB rating.

4. The original Planet of The Apes franchise [Minus the very first] - I have seen none of these in their entirety and have always seen them as kinda cheesy and weak, but have thoroughly enjoyed the two recent films and am now curious about the old ones.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
You really don't have to tag the ending to Planet of the Apes, dude. It's one of those things that everyone knows through pop culture, like Darth Vader being Luke's dad and Soylent Green being people.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

SALT CURES HAM posted:

You really don't have to tag the ending to Planet of the Apes, dude. It's one of those things that everyone knows through pop culture, like Darth Vader being Luke's dad and Soylent Green being people.

I know, but on the offchance that someone has avoided it.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Quickscope420dad posted:

Upstream Color, without question. Shane Carruth is far and a way the most promising new director out there. If you loved Primer, you're gunna wanna watch this two or three times in a row, not only to get your head round everything that's going on in it, but also to just enjoy the cinematography and score.

Heck yeah, I'm on it tomorrow!

I accidentally watched Nightmare on Elm Street without it being assigned today. Whoops! I'll swap it out for something else when I repost my list after watching Upstream Color.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Heck yeah, I'm on it tomorrow!

I accidentally watched Nightmare on Elm Street without it being assigned today. Whoops! I'll swap it out for something else when I repost my list after watching Upstream Color.

Yeah, I'll sometimes watch a couple movies from my list between posts so it changes a fair amount. Just post a quick review of Nightmare as well when you talk about Upstream Color so we know what you thought.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Will do :)

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Quickscope420dad, you get to watch Metropolis! I need to watch that sometime too, so I'll have to keep it in mind for my list. Not right now though!

So! I watched A Nightmare on Elm Street in addition to Upstream Color.

Nightmare was cool. The acting was kinda iffy a lot of the time, but mostly just in that dated 80s way that didn't detract too terribly much. The practical effects were neat; Johnny Depp's death was so over-the-top but it worked because of the dreamworld setting. I'm glad that the cheap-rear end "if you don't believe in it then it has no power" ending turned out to be a fake-out. The Kruegermobile was delightful. I can't really imagine where the sequels go from there, but I'm sure they managed to contrive something or other. Probably not gonna bother unless someone recommends I do.

Upstream Color was loving hypnotizing in the best way. It was so much better-looking than I remember Primer being, which I suppose isn't hard since Primer was made with an even more ridiculously small budget than UC. I do indeed want to watch it again at some point, but I didn't feel like it was completely impenetrable, just really poetic. I loved that there was literally no exposition and the story was almost entirely visual. Oh man and holy poo poo how good is Amy Seimetz in this movie??? God drat. Shane Carruth is good too, but she is a revelation. The score was really lovely too. Anyway, loved the movie and it's definitely one of the better movies I've seen lately.

My updated list:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (either one, I guess) - another classic that I haven't gotten around to. I think this'll be my horror slot (if this is horror? It seems like it would be.)

Shane - I love Westerns, and I've heard this is a particularly interesting one. Also, penismightier's old avatar with the low-down Yankee liar quote always made me want to watch it.

Grease - According to my girlfriend I'm basically uncultured swine for not having seen this yet.

The King of Comedy - Like lots of people, I adore Scorsese, but I still haven't watched quite all of his films. This would fill in one more of those gaps!

Rashomon - I haven't seen any Kurosawa, so I basically picked one at random from his filmography list. If someone picks this for me, you could also substitute a different Kurosawa if you want.

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 19, 2014

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Try this next.

Wuthering Heights - Based on the famous Emily Bronte novel the story follows a pretty familiar framework of sentimentality, romance, melodrama and revenge. I bought into the story from the beginning as the film frames the opening segments in an interesting and almost magical atmosphere (a snowy cold night).

I won't go into the plot too much but Cathy is an extremely conflicted and whimsical character when it comes to deciding between Heathcliff and Edgar. The way it's portrayed in the film she'd be diagnosed with dissociative identity disorder.

Heathcliff eventually turns the tables on his unfortunate predicaments and we're left with a ghostly ending.

Also watched:

Switchblade Sisters - This toed the line between comedic and disturbingly raw moments pretty well. It has a certain falsity that's charming and somewhat congruent with the more well-known The Warriors.

I also liked the school principal being the liaison between rival gangs.

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner - In 1967 interracial marriages in the US were controversial (and illegal) in many states. So when a 23 year old white woman wants to marry a 37 year old black man both sets of parents freak out and share many of the same objections. The surrounding friends and employees also voice their complaints.

The time constraints and some of the story felt forced and the ending was pretty predictable. I found this to be the highlight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbv41abhC3c

Today interracial marriage is legal and less contentious. Cultures shift each generation and it makes me interested to know what future generations will care about and what they won't care about. Looking through history it seems people have had the same hang-ups and conflicts for millenia (repackaged with different variations).

Procrastination (153 completed):

#154 Colour It Yellow AKA Rang De Basanti - Aamir Khan is popular on the IMDb top 250. 10/1/14

#155 The Heart Desires AKA Dil Chahta Hai - Aamir Khan is popular on the IMDb top 250. There must be an echo in here. 10/1/14

#156 Land Tax AKA Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India - The Wrath of (Aamir) Khan continues on the IMDb top 250. 10/13/14

#157 Scream 2 - The first one was a surprise. 10/21/14

#158 Punch-Drunk Love - Heard this was good. 10/30/14

new #159 Blood Diamond - This (like so many others) is something I remember hearing a lot about at release and then not much at all soon after. 11/20/14

new #160 The New World - Terrence Malick always seems to have a unique presentation. 11/20/14

new #161 Sweet Smell of Success - Seems to have acclaim. 11/20/14

James Bond versus Godzilla:

King Kong vs. Godzilla - Is King Kong flammable? 9/16/14

AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies (97/100 completed):

#92 A Place in the Sun - It sounds hot. 11/3/14

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 21, 2014

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Zogo posted:

Today interracial marriage is legal and less contentious. Cultures shift each generation and it makes me interested to know what future generations will care about and what they won't care about.

"No! No way! I won't have it! No daughter of mine is going to marry her operating system!"

PS: What version of Wuthering Heights did you watch?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"No! No way! I won't have it! No daughter of mine is going to marry her operating system!"

PS: What version of Wuthering Heights did you watch?

I watched the 1939 version directed by William Wyler and starring Laurence Olivier, Merle Oberon and David Niven: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmuMd4FnnYo

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
If you're not done with the story altogether, you should watch Andrea Arnold's version.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

El Graplurado posted:

If you're not done with the story altogether, you should watch Andrea Arnold's version.

Yea, I think I'd watch another version or two in time. There's so many versions to choose from.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1181614/trivia?tab=mc

The 1992 version starring Juliette Binoche, the 2009 with Tom Hardy and the 1953 directed by Luis Buñuel.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Zogo posted:

#158 Punch-Drunk Love
Watch this. It's a strange story, but pretty good.

Brazil - D
I don't like 1984 and outstanding set design can't get around that. The sets are easily the best part of the movie. The cartoonish, bleak style stands out among the dystopian films I've seen. The Tuttle/Buttle mixup and swarm of papers are funny gags but the endless bureaucracy scenes fall flat. I kind of wish the movie was really about the fantasy sequences. A winged guy fighting a samurai is just more interesting than a guy in a suit fighting the government.

Castle In The Sky - Burned out on Miyazakis after watching 3 in February.
La Dolce Vita - It's long and I didn't love La Strada.
L'Age d'Or - I've skipped all the French Bunuels.
Nashville - Musicals should be cartoons with anthropomorphic animals.
Nosferatu - Vampire movies are usually dumb.
Onibaba - That mask is creepy.
Wild Strawberries - I loved The Seventh Seal but never followed up on it.
Wings of Desire - This movie shares blame for that Goo Goo Dolls song.
Leaving Las Vegas - Watching a good Nic Cage film might ruin the magic.
The Tree of Life - Caught the first 15 minutes and never finished it.

Unshamed: Psycho A, Raging Bull C, Brazil D

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

UltimoDragonQuest, watch Nosferatu.

The King of Comedy was great. Thematically it reminded me of Taxi Driver in that a guy (played by Robert De Niro, though that's irrelevant apart from high acting quality) goes so far down a rabbit hole of delusion that he ends up committing crimes that then make him not just infamous, but a celebrity. The performances were all great, especially De Niro's - Pupkin is simultaneously cringe-inducingly pitiful. Glad I finally watched it!

My updated list (also expanded beyond 5 movies!):

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (either one, I guess) - a classic that I haven't gotten around to, even though I've referenced the pointing at someone and screaming scene at least once in my life. I think this'll be my horror slot (if Body Snatchers counts as horror? It seems like it would.)

Shane - I love Westerns, and I've heard this is a particularly interesting one. Also, penismightier's old avatar with the "low-down Yankee liar" quote always made me want to watch it.

Grease - According to my girlfriend I'm basically uncultured swine for not having seen this yet.

Bringing Out the Dead - another missing Scorsese, and the premise sounds cool.

Punch Drunk Love - gonna make this my PTA slot for the last three of his films I haven't seen yet.

The Maltese Falcon - missing classic, not much of an anecdote here.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Rashomon is worth seeing but I'll pick Ikiru AKA "To Live" for you since you're open to substitution.

Punch-Drunk Love - It was unpredictable and unconventional but a little too insane and I didn't enjoy it as much as I'm sure many have. Barry Egan (Adam Sandler) has all the charm and wit of a madhouse escapee.

An aggravating and dissonant score drones on as we stalk a paranoid and lonely outcast who's hounded by dozens of overbearing relatives. There's also a silly phone-sex criminal plot that wasn't engaging and felt off.

Kind of an unnerving presentation on the whole.

Procrastination (154 completed):

#154 Colour It Yellow AKA Rang De Basanti - Aamir Khan is popular on the IMDb top 250. 10/1/14

#155 The Heart Desires AKA Dil Chahta Hai - Aamir Khan is popular on the IMDb top 250. There must be an echo in here. 10/1/14

#156 Land Tax AKA Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India - The Wrath of (Aamir) Khan continues on the IMDb top 250. 10/13/14

#159 Blood Diamond - This (like so many others) is something I remember hearing a lot about at release and then not much at all soon after. 11/20/14

#160 The New World - Terrence Malick always seems to have a unique presentation. 11/20/14

#161 Sweet Smell of Success - Seems to have acclaim. 11/20/14

new #90 The Jazz Singer (1927) - I knew a guy who saw this when it was released. He died a couple years back. 11/22/14

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Zogo posted:

Rashomon is worth seeing but I'll pick Ikiru AKA "To Live" for you since you're open to substitution.

Sweet, I'll get on it!

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Zogo, watch Rang De Basanti.

The Avengers above all else was just a very fun, enjoyable movie. The action sequences were extremely well-shot and framed, making it very easy to follow despite their fast pace and length. The characters and their performances also all complimented each other well during both dialog heavy character moments and the action setpieces. Not a whole lot in the way of surprises, but in this case what I expected and got happened to be exactly what I wanted out of this film.

My List:

1. 21 Jump Street - Didn't get around to seeing it when it came out, but love Lord and Miller's work on both Clone High and The Lego Movie.

2. Grave of the Fireflies - Continuing through Ghibli's work with what I've generally seen regarded as their darkest film.

3. Good Morning Vietnam - Continuing my Robin Williams film spree with one of the films that really put him on the map.

4. Back to the Future 2 - Thought I added this after watching the first film for the thread for some reason, but apparently I didn't, so I'm adding it now.

5. Zombieland - I love horror comedies like Shaun of the Dead, The Cabin in the Woods and Evil Dead 2, but never got around to watching this one despite receiving a sizable amount of praise itself.

6. Fight Club - Often see this regarded as Fincher's magnum opus. The only thing I know going in is the first rule about Fight Club, which I'm not at liberty to talk about.

7. The Shawshank Redemption - I don't know much aside from bits of the ending, and even then I'm pretty vague on at best. I also know that it's considered one of the best films of all time, even topping the IMDb Top 250 list, so there's probably no excuse for me to have not seen it yet.

8. Jackie Brown - The only Tarantino movie I have left to see aside from Death Proof. I know that it's a crime drama that pays heavy tribute to 1970's blaxploitation films (a genre that I admittedly have just about zero personal experience with), and basically nothing else.

9. 2001: A Space Odyssey - About time I finally got around to this one. Truth be told, I'd been somewhat hesitant to just jump right into it given how by all accounts it practically demands multiple viewings to get a full understanding and appreciation of, so I'll definitely keep it in mind as a first viewing experience. I might also see about watching it with one of my friends who adores the film to make the first viewing a bit more palatable.

10. The Godfather - I feel like I should already be pretty familiar with this movie through sheer cultural osmosis, but I honestly don't know a whole lot going in aside from the horse head scene.

Deshamed (26): Monty Python's Life of Brian, My Neighbor Totoro, Alien, Back to the Future, Star Wars: A New Hope, Aliens, Hot Fuzz, Ghostbusters, The Fisher King, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Good Will Hunting, Wayne's World, One Hour Photo, This is the End, Inglourious Basterds, Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, John Carpenter's The Thing, The Social Network, The Blair Witch Project, The Silence of the Lambs, Se7en, Fantasia, Kill Bill, The Iron Giant, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, The Avengers

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 24, 2014

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
Trashboat can i just say YOUR WHOLE LIST? That is a real hard one. 2001 is my favourite film of all time, but you're probably more likely to get bullied for not having seen Fightclub. I flipped a coin on this and you get 2001. I wanna take the opportunity to throw this in here too, for someone yet to see it: don't go into it for the scifi. It's praised as an incredible scifi film. But the scifi is really just a prop; all Kubrick's adaptations use their source material as a prop for something else. Maybe go in with just one question, and assume that Kubrick has answered it by the end of the film: What is The Monolith? HAL is cool and all but don't get distracted, there really is something much bigger and intricate going on in this film than just cool stuff in space.

e: DO NOT watch it with a friend who likes it, that will suck.

I watched:

Metropolis (1927)

In combination with what i just said about 2001 above, It's easy for me to see why this was Kubrick's favourite silent picture. It has that same operatic scope, more concerned with its kinetic and visual themes than character development or narrative; if anything the character development and narrative serve as props for the aesthetics, rather than the other way around, which is something I love.

The version I watched had a commentary-subtitles set, talking through missing scenes, quoting the director, and giving an unfortunately english-lit style analysis of each scene. This made it quite interesting if a little annoying at times.

If you can look past its classic 1920s cinematic dorkiness, there really is somewhat of a masterpiece of cinema here and it takes no effort for me to see why this belongs in any cinephile's viewing history - especially for hardcore Kubrick fans too.

The main negative of this film is perhaps the political theme. Not from a point of me agreeing or disagreeing with its political message, but rather I think it's political message is given too much weight and stands out in the film more than it feels like it should / was intended do. It serves as an excellent device for the aesthetic, especially the kinetic themes - but the more typical movie-watcher would probably only see the political overtones and see the rest as artsy crap. It's very inaccessible to any non-cinephile.

[BONUS ROUND]

I too watched King of Comedy, since you guys talked about it so much. Obviously very much a character piece, which is what I will review it for above all else; it has otherwise typical cinematics with not much of an appeal to its aesthetic as such, though obviously it's Scorsese so there is the necessary due care over this. Literally nothing else I can say about this film's attributes won't count as a spoiler. the first two acts of the film are an excellent showcase of RDN's acting, portraying the self-determined moronic loser and oddball. But the break between second and third act flips that entirely on its head; not only is there a stark tonal shift from pathetically-obsessed failure to crazed and dangerous kidnapper, but also just as quickly as the tone changed, so does the perception of the character as a failure and loser - after all, his comedy is met with great success. He was right about himself all along, and the lengths he took in his struggle to get a break were(almost) just. These tonal shifts are in no way out of place, they feel wholesome and coherent with the narrative, and almost provide a killer twist element.. It's a great example of excellent execution of concept.

My list now:

1. Spice World - I know it's garbage but I also wonder why i never ended up seeing it even on TV in a drunken haze

2. Weekend at Bernie's - My only experience of this film is similar to that of my experience of Metropolis - only know of it from references by others. It seems to have had some influence in 1980 / 90s dark comedy though.

3. The notebook - I know nothing about it other than the premise as described on IMDB and its IMDB rating.

4. The original Planet of The Apes franchise [Minus the very first, and the Tim Burton] - I have seen none of these in their entirety and have always seen them as kinda cheesy and weak, but have thoroughly enjoyed the two recent films and am now curious about the old ones.

5. SLC. Punk! - recommended to me. I have little to no idea about it.

My list sucks. I'm going to watch SLC. Punk! next regardless, so please just pick that and we'll pretend that's what happened.

les fleurs du mall fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 24, 2014

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Well, that is quite a list...go ahead with SLC Punk as you planned on.

What in the hell is Brewster McCloud? It is all over the place. The deadpan delivery of many lines sells it while the main thrust of the plot is almost too absurd to ever fully work. Its lack of focus is both to its benefit (instilling chaos) and detriment (destroying cohesion). I feel like this would have been a movie I would have been head over heels for in early university. It might have seduced me with its sheer insanity. It's still good in spurts because it is hilarious and the cast is game all around.

Favourite line reading comes from Michael Murphy's Frank Shaft after his car goes into a pond and someone asks if he's all right. His response, in pure deadpan: "My legs are crushed and I'm stuck in here." It's something like how I'd expect Jason Schwartzman to deliver it if Wes Anderson remade this.

I also watched Once Upon a Time in Anatolia. From my criticker review: Exceptionally photographed and minimal. The history of these characters is hinted at through glances and reactions, which is really what the story is more about. It's not about the search for a body...hell, it never really comes clear about why the murder occurred. The minimal nature does create a bit of a detachment, which keeps the audience at arm's length, but the mastery of craft is impressive from the beginning.

LIST O SHAME:

1920s - Pandora's Box (1928) - Know next to nothing about it except a former co-worker was fascinated by it.

1930s - Bringing Up Baby (1938) - Was always worried I wouldn't find it interesting or funny.

1940s - Monsieur Verdoux (1947) - Later Chaplin, I've heard mixed things.

1950s - Ordet (1955) - Dreyer is not exactly a blind spot, but I'm certainly not as well versed in his films as I'd like.

1960s - Blast of Silence (1961) - Was at a screening of The Killing a few months back, and one of the hosts mentioned this as one of his favourite noirs.

1970s - Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975) - Picked it up as part of this summer's B&N Criterion sale. Heard good to great things.

1980s - Cobra Verde (1987) - Time to watch more of my Herzog/Kinski box set I bought ages ago.

1990s - Topsy-Turvy (1999) - Saw a trailer for this when I was in high school. Thought it looked lame. I've since grown up a tad and have liked what I've seen from Mike Leigh (Happy Go-Lucky and Naked)

2000 and up - George Washington (2000) - The only film by David Gordon Green I have seen is Pineapple Express. Apparently his early films are nothing like that. Slight edit...I've since seen Prince Avalanche and liked it a ton.

Bonus/Random - Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971) - Will my having not seen this as a child hurt my chances of loving it as an adult?

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring, The Red Shoes, Deconstructing Harry, Metropolis, Che, The Island of Lost Souls, Revanche, Black Moon, Stalker, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Badlands, The Long Goodbye, Crimes and Misdemeanors, The Apartment, All About My Mother, Tokyo Story, Chungking Express, This is Spinal Tap, On the Waterfront, Grave of the Fireflies, Rebecca, The Sweet Hereafter, Peeping Tom, Drunken Angel, Duck Soup, Key Largo, Witness for the Prosecution, The Lady From Shanghai, Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages, Safety Last!, King Kong, Anatomy of a Murder, In a Lonely Place, Safe, Bad Day at Black Rock, The General, The Magnificent Ambersons, Five Easy Pieces, Porco Rosso, Mystery Train, Rififi, The King of Comedy, The Straight Story, The Kid, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Carlos, Onibaba, It Happened One Night, Sherlock Jr., Lone Star, Foreign Correspondent, The Last Detail, Young Mr. Lincoln, Rope, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, The Man Who Laughs, Husbands and Wives, Reds, Sweet Smell of Success, Shadow of a Doubt, The Purple Rose of Cairo, The African Queen, The Lower Depths, Frankenstein, Broadcast News, La Strada, The Last Laugh, Stagecoach, Alexander Nevsky, Don't Look Now, Fish Tank, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Days of Heaven, The Killer, Nosferatu, The Naked Kiss, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Jules et Jim, Mon Oncle, Howl's Moving Castle, Y Tu Mama Tambien, A Night at the Opera, Berberian Sound Studio, The Natural, Kwaidan, The Color of Money, Fanny and Alexander, Repo Man, The Breakfast Club, The Passenger, The King of Marvin Gardens, The Goonies, Z, Ashes and Diamonds, L'Atalante, All Quiet on the Western Front, L'Age D'Or, The Earrings of Madame De..., La Notte, Europa, World on a Wire, Andrei Rublev, Dersu Uzala, Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, Brewster McCloud (TOTAL: 162)

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy
Ratedargh, watch Blast of Silence. I like the title. That is all.

So, The Shining:

I had watched some of this before and I fell asleep. I fell asleep again. I enjoyed how the movie was shot, and the opening canyon scenes were pretty, but the movie itself just wasn't compelling to me. Jack Nicholson was great...and then not as great. I often feel like modern horror movies have ruined all the older ones for me, to a certain extent. Still, the cinematography was quite good, so at least there is that.
7/10

6) Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) - Another classic by Sergio Leone that I haven't seen.

7) It's a Wonderful Life (1946) - Oh god, another old-timey movie.

13) Life Is Beautiful (1997) - I remember seeing advertisements for this movie all the time on VHS movies. Surprisingly never on my radar as a 12 year old kid.

14) The Intouchables (2011) - This will sound ridiculous (more ridiculous than my other comments), but I just couldn't get over the cover for this movie. It seems so happy. It bothers me. I've heard it's a really good movie, from many people.

15) Modern Times (1936) - Vaguely dreading having two Charlie Chaplin movies on this list, but maybe I have nothing to worry about.

16) The Pianist (2002) - I've had this movie for so long, and I just have never gotten around to seeing it.

17) The Lives of Others (2006) - This is another movie I've considered watching countless times, but it's never really lined up for some reason. I don't know much about it.

18) Boyhood (2014) - I am just going down the IMDB top 250, and this one snuck in between the movies I haven't seen. I am generally a fan of Linklater, and I'd intended to watch this at some point. Here it is, on the list!

19) The Great Dictator (1940) - I've heard the speech. Curious about the rest of the movie.

21) Cinema Paradiso (1988) - I picked up this movie years ago because I heard it was good from this forum. I haven't watched it yet, though.

Deshamed: Schindler's List; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly; Seven Samurai; Saving Private Ryan; Psycho; Sunset Blvd.; Rear Window; City Lights; 12 Angry Men; City of God; The Shining

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Tsyni posted:

15) Modern Times (1936) - Vaguely dreading having two Charlie Chaplin movies on this list, but maybe I have nothing to worry about.

Both Chaplin movies on your list are fantastic. Many of his films are. Go with this.

As for Blast of Silence, it was a pretty cool noir. Frankie is a rough-around-the-edges sort but there is a compelling element to his taciturn, solitary nature. He's not really a "good" guy in the pure sense of the word, but he's interesting in how separated and detached from reality he is. The narration is best interpreted as him talking to himself, talking his way through his life as a hitman. He is alone with his thoughts. Some may hate the narration, and it is understandable, but I thought it really fit. So did the jazz score. It almost felt like a noir by way of the beat generation. My favourite sequence of the movie was in the club where Frankie is watching his target while being recognized by an acquaintance. The tension builds great and the editing is tight and frantic as he downs more drinks and the music speeds up. Really something. It's almost a little too slight on the details, but it isn't a big detriment. It's very succinct, and there are no wasted scenes.

LIST O SHAME:

1920s - Pandora's Box (1928) - Know next to nothing about it except a former co-worker was fascinated by it.

1930s - Bringing Up Baby (1938) - Was always worried I wouldn't find it interesting or funny.

1940s - Monsieur Verdoux (1947) - Later Chaplin, I've heard mixed things.

1950s - Ordet (1955) - Dreyer is not exactly a blind spot, but I'm certainly not as well versed in his films as I'd like.

1960s - Kuroneko (1968) - Japanese ghost stories are right up my alley.

1970s - Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975) - Picked it up as part of this summer's B&N Criterion sale. Heard good to great things.

1980s - Cobra Verde (1987) - Time to watch more of my Herzog/Kinski box set I bought ages ago.

1990s - Topsy-Turvy (1999) - Saw a trailer for this when I was in high school. Thought it looked lame. I've since grown up a tad and have liked what I've seen from Mike Leigh (Happy Go-Lucky and Naked)

2000 and up - George Washington (2000) - The only film by David Gordon Green I have seen is Pineapple Express. Apparently his early films are nothing like that. Slight edit...I've since seen Prince Avalanche and liked it a ton.

Bonus/Random - Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971) - Will my having not seen this as a child hurt my chances of loving it as an adult?

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring, The Red Shoes, Deconstructing Harry, Metropolis, Che, The Island of Lost Souls, Revanche, Black Moon, Stalker, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Badlands, The Long Goodbye, Crimes and Misdemeanors, The Apartment, All About My Mother, Tokyo Story, Chungking Express, This is Spinal Tap, On the Waterfront, Grave of the Fireflies, Rebecca, The Sweet Hereafter, Peeping Tom, Drunken Angel, Duck Soup, Key Largo, Witness for the Prosecution, The Lady From Shanghai, Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages, Safety Last!, King Kong, Anatomy of a Murder, In a Lonely Place, Safe, Bad Day at Black Rock, The General, The Magnificent Ambersons, Five Easy Pieces, Porco Rosso, Mystery Train, Rififi, The King of Comedy, The Straight Story, The Kid, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Carlos, Onibaba, It Happened One Night, Sherlock Jr., Lone Star, Foreign Correspondent, The Last Detail, Young Mr. Lincoln, Rope, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, The Man Who Laughs, Husbands and Wives, Reds, Sweet Smell of Success, Shadow of a Doubt, The Purple Rose of Cairo, The African Queen, The Lower Depths, Frankenstein, Broadcast News, La Strada, The Last Laugh, Stagecoach, Alexander Nevsky, Don't Look Now, Fish Tank, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Days of Heaven, The Killer, Nosferatu, The Naked Kiss, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Jules et Jim, Mon Oncle, Howl's Moving Castle, Y Tu Mama Tambien, A Night at the Opera, Berberian Sound Studio, The Natural, Kwaidan, The Color of Money, Fanny and Alexander, Repo Man, The Breakfast Club, The Passenger, The King of Marvin Gardens, The Goonies, Z, Ashes and Diamonds, L'Atalante, All Quiet on the Western Front, L'Age D'Or, The Earrings of Madame De..., La Notte, Europa, World on a Wire, Andrei Rublev, Dersu Uzala, Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, Brewster McCloud, Blast of Silence (TOTAL: 163)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ratedargh posted:

Try this one.

Colour It Yellow - A British documentarian goes to India to make a film based on her grandfathers diary dealing with many of the famous Indian revolutionaries from the 1920s era. She goes through the trials of casting and eventually finds a group of college students who are up to the task of portraying these men. The actions of these revolutionaries are kind of the antithesis of those of Gandhi the more well-known Indian paragon. Eventually they surrender and are tortured before being executed by the British military.

With historical films I like to get a feel for the characters and learn some hard facts about those being portrayed and this one was sorely lacking in that respect. The modern day cast goofs off and dances like they're in tacky music videos while we get bite-sized glimpses into the past. I felt like I barely learned anything about these guys. Contrast that with something like The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford which is full of historical factoids.

Like many of the other Bollywood films I've seen this one shifted gears a lot and I had to keep re-evaluating it. Some have traversed genres fluidly but this one was jarring and by the end it was teetering toward being primarily an absurdist black comedy.

The insanely abrupt tonal shift took place after one of the characters crashes in a MiG-21 jet accident (Russians and Indian military colluding in selling junk aircraft parts at the expense of pilots lives). Suddenly we're given a gigantic shot of modern Indian cynicism and most of the fun-loving characters radicalize and start killing politicians and their own family members after being inspired by their student film :eyepop: They then take over a radio station to admit their killings and then unsurprisingly are violently gunned down by the Indian military. I might've bought this more easily if these characters shifted more gradually like in Red Dawn (1984).

The politics in India have to be pretty brutal and toxic at this point for this to be so popular there.

Procrastination (155 completed):

#159 Blood Diamond - This (like so many others) is something I remember hearing a lot about at release and then not much at all soon after. 11/20/14

#160 The New World - Terrence Malick always seems to have a unique presentation. 11/20/14

new #162 The Hangover - 470,619 votes on IMDb and I haven't seen it. 11/29/14

#90 The Jazz Singer (1927) - I knew a guy who saw this when it was released. He died a couple years back. 11/22/14

Zogo fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 29, 2014

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Zogo posted:

King Kong vs. Godzilla - Is King Kong flammable?

This should be the sell-quote.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Zogo, haven't seen any on your list, but King Kong vs. Godzilla jumps out at me.

The Man Who Knew Too Much was classic Hitchcock. Very suspenseful, and James Stewart was very good. I liked a lot of the film shots.

My List:
The Graduate - Only things I know about this movie is Mrs Robinson is seducing someone and Plastics.

The King's Speech - Trying to see more recent movies.

Faust - Looking forward to another Murnau film.

True Grit - The original version. Been a while since a western was on my list.

A Day at the Races - More Marx Brothers madness, please.

Kiki's Delivery Service - Need to see some more Miyazaki.

Ran - Heard this is one of Kurosawa'a best, so I am really looking forward to seeing it.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers - This is one of my grandmothers favorite movies. I haven't seen it yet.

House of Wax - I've never seen a Vincent Price picture (except for Edward Scissorhands)

The 39 Steps - More Hitchcock here.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars, Cool Hand Luke, The Public Enemy, Time Bandits, Adaptation, The Producers, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Gone With The Wind, My Fair Lady, City Lights, A Christmas Carol(1951), Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, West Side Story, Caddyshack, My Neighbor Totoro, Throne of Blood, The Phantom of the Opera, Yellow Submarine, Little Caesar, The Third Man, The Godfather, Persepolis, The Godfather Part II, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Invisible Man, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Bridge on the River Kwai, A Beautiful Mind, The Kid, Fiddler on the Roof, The Gold Rush, Metropolis, Rear Window, Enter the Dragon, Horse Feathers, The Great Dictator, Despicable Me, The Bad Sleep Well, The Wolf Man, Nosferatu, Patton, Howl's Moving Castle, The King and I, The Man Who Knew Too Much

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

I need to watch more Studio Ghibli myself, but my brother has nothing but good things to say about Kiki's Delivery Service.

I thoroughly enjoyed 2001: A Space Odyssey, in no short part due to Quickscope420dad's helpful advice to lead me in with the right frame of mind. All of the segments felt distinct from one another and almost anthological in nature, while still maintaining the theme of cyclical evolution and the fight for survival throughout. The visuals are still stunning to this day, and paint a very believable future that feels firmly grounded in possibility rather than delving heavily into the fantastical (the final act excepted). The sound design in particular really stood out to me as well. There's the excellent use of classical music of course, and I really appreciated the use of sound design in the later half to convey a sense of primal fear (specifically the dead silence and heavy breathing during The Jupiter Mission and just about everything about the vortex sequence, with the heartbeat and buzzing in particular coming to mind), which helped further drive the aforementioned theme of survival.

My List:

1. 21 Jump Street - Didn't get around to seeing it when it came out, but love Lord and Miller's work on both Clone High and The Lego Movie.

2. Grave of the Fireflies - Continuing through Ghibli's work with what I've generally seen regarded as their darkest film.

3. Good Morning Vietnam - Continuing my Robin Williams film spree with one of the films that really put him on the map.

4. Back to the Future 2 - Thought I added this after watching the first film for the thread for some reason, but apparently I didn't, so I'm adding it now.

5. Zombieland - I love horror comedies like Shaun of the Dead, The Cabin in the Woods and Evil Dead 2, but never got around to watching this one despite receiving a sizable amount of praise itself.

6. Fight Club - Often see this regarded as Fincher's magnum opus. The only thing I know going in is the first rule about Fight Club, which I'm not at liberty to talk about.

7. The Shawshank Redemption - I don't know much aside from bits of the ending, and even then I'm pretty vague on at best. I also know that it's considered one of the best films of all time, even topping the IMDb Top 250 list, so there's probably no excuse for me to have not seen it yet.

8. Jackie Brown - The only Tarantino movie I have left to see aside from Death Proof. I know that it's a crime drama that pays heavy tribute to 1970's blaxploitation films (a genre that I admittedly have just about zero personal experience with), and basically nothing else.

9. The Godfather - I feel like I should already be pretty familiar with this movie through sheer cultural osmosis, but I honestly don't know a whole lot going in aside from the horse head scene.

10. Full Metal Jacket - More Kubrick. I know some of iconic scenes of the first half at boot camp and basically nothing else.

Deshamed (27): Monty Python's Life of Brian, My Neighbor Totoro, Alien, Back to the Future, Star Wars: A New Hope, Aliens, Hot Fuzz, Ghostbusters, The Fisher King, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Good Will Hunting, Wayne's World, One Hour Photo, This is the End, Inglourious Basterds, Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, John Carpenter's The Thing, The Social Network, The Blair Witch Project, The Silence of the Lambs, Se7en, Fantasia, Kill Bill, The Iron Giant, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, The Avengers, 2001: A Space Odyssey

SirFuzzington
May 3, 2014

^ Zombieland, it may not be anything new, hell most of the zombie jokes it makes may have been made by other movies already. However, it is enjoyable for the character interactions and general feel-good attitude. It's by no means a masterpiece, but it's enjoyable, fun even!

1. Fargo - I hadn't heard of this movie until recently when I heard about the tv series.
2. Annie Hall - Ehh, been told it's like the greatest thing...not sure if true.
3. The Wolf of Wall Street - Another movie that just went over my head.
4. The Grand Budapest Hotel - I started it but was tired and fell asleep and havent really gotten back to watching it.
5. Taxi Driver - a movie with heavy internal monologues is right up my alley. I have no justification, I'm just lazy.
6. Edward Scissorhand - again, always made to be a big deal. It looks good, haven't seen it because ehhh reasons.
7. 8 1/2 - only recently heard about it, supposed to be this cool look into some director's mind
8. Paprika - said to be the trippiest anime movie ever, I've always been put off for some reason.
9. David Lynch's Mulholland Drive - said to be one of his best, considering what I've seen with Twin Peaks I'm sure David Lynch is capable of good things.
10. The Secret Window - a metafictitious narrative with Johnny Depp. Again, no reasoning beyond me being an unmotivated fuckwad

DeShamed: Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Thank you Mahlertov Cocktail for a wonderful weekend movie tip :)

Espequinn David Lynch's Mulholland Drive is my choice for you. :) If you like it, feel free to watch Blue Velvet too.

-----------------------

The Grand Budapest Hotel
In short: A beautiful told story about a Hotel his owners and the lifestyle around, secondary a love story in a more or less fantasy world that is ajar short for the beginning of the second world war and with a (much) great cast.

Ok. If you like Tim Burton movies, than watch this. I don't now but Tim Burton is comming in my mind after watching this movie. Sorry Wes Anderson.
The only movie from him, after a look to his wikipedia page, I know are The Royal Tenenbaums. But now i have some new movies for my shame list.

The Grand Budapest Hotel is a kind of film I didn't watch for a long time. Its comedy but not this kind of Comedy movie like for example with Tim Allen. Its more like "The Nightmare Before Christmas" from Tim Burton and please don't ask me why but be sure nobody is singing like "Les Miserables".
Maybe if It is a kind of dark humor, and a sad told love story as frame story packed in a futuristic fiction world with associations to the time for the begining of the second world war in a fictional Republic of Zubrowka ? Maybe because all the interesting characters and side stories traversing the hotel?
I don‘t know.

But if you like "The Royal Tenenbaums" or Tim Burton movies in general, The Grand Budapest Hotel isn't wasted time for you.

If you feel not warm maybe the list of the cast with actors like Ralph Fiennes, F. Murray Abraham, Edward Norton, Mathiu Amalric, Saoirse Ronan, Adrien Brody, Willem Dafoe, Léa Seydoux, Jeff Goldblum, Jason Schwartzman, Jude Law, Tilda Swinton, Harvey Keitel, Tom Wilkinson, Bill Murray, Owen Wilso, Tony Revolo and Wes Anderson ability to catch them all for one movie can luring you to watch The Grand Budapest Hotel?

I give The Grand Budapest Hotel a 8.0/10.

-----------------------

My List:
  1. Paulette – another unseen french drug movie

2. Inside Llewyn Davis – mysterious I don´t like your musik must i have seen this movie, film?

3. Total Recal (remake) – Nothing can top the original

4. Nightmare (remake) - I love the originals! all tasers I saw, a voice wispers "no no no" to me.

5. The Physician - the speech book was good so I have my own pictures in mind no place for
    this movie

6. Big Miracle - Drew Barrymore is great no idea why I missed this movie

7. 47 Ronin - read about the misstakes and trouble to bring this movie on screen, not realy
    interest to see neo as samurai...

8. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues - first part wasn't funny, sure the second part too

9. A Madea Christmas - nothing absolutly nothing tops Bad Santa as christmass movie!

10. La Vie en Rose drat forgotten and after reading a newspaper I figured out, drat, you forgot to watch this movie. I'm drat sure it is a great movie :p "NEW on the List"

Shameful Watched (001): Slumdog Millionaire [6.5/10], (002): Life of Pi [5.5/10], (003): The King‘s Speech [7.5/10], (004): Donnie Darko [8.5/10], (005): The cold light of Day [5.5/10], (006): La vie d'Adèle - Chapitre 1&2 [9.0/10], (007): Red Cliff [6.0/10], (008): The Grand Budapest Hotel [8.0/10], (009):

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

XenJ posted:

[*]Inside Llewyn Davis – mysterious I don´t like your musik must i have seen this movie, film?

It was either this or La Vie en Rose, so I chose the one that's not new - plus I love the Coens. Enjoy!

Harakiri
Lately I've been hearing more & more great things about this film and it more than lived up to the hype. A story of a man who wishes to have an honourable samurai death by way of harakiri - AKA self-disembowelment. He tells his hardships to a dozen armed men circled around him while they attempt to get his chosen samurai to be his 'second' and do his beheading. It is a heartbreaking, beautiful, and mesmerizing tale with an ending you won't soon forget.

LIST

Ace in the Hole (2014.10.13) - I'm a huge Wilder fan and having now blind-bought the blu-ray, I can finally watch it.

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (2014.06.29) - This has had enough praise and appeared on enough lists that I feel I need to see it. I know nothing about it.

Band of Outsiders **NEW** (2014.12.03) - I've heard this compared to Jules & Jim which I loved.

Charulata (2014.06.25) - I keep hearing great things and I really liked The Music Room

The Innocents (2014.06.16) - with Criterion announcing it's release today, it's about time I get the dust off my DVD copy and finally watch it.

Jack Goes Boating (2014.02.17) **oldest** - it took Philip Seymour Hoffman's passing to make his only directorial effort a higher priority.. for me, pretty drat shameful.

The Life & Death of Colonel Blimp (2014.06.01) - more Archers is never a bad thing as I've loved The Red Shoes & Black Narcissus

Millennium Actress (2014.10.20) - I was able to pick this up from a local video store today for $2.50.. time to finally watch a Satoshi Kon film!

Tape (2014.10.13) - I shall continue my quest to finish the Linklater filmography.

The Wind Will Carry Us (2014.09.23) - more Kiarostami, please!

De-shamed: Aliens (4.5/5), The Bridge on the River Kwai (5/5), La Dolce Vita (4/5), The Hustler (5/5), Blue Velvet (4.5/5), Close-Up (4.5/5), The Lady Vanishes (4.5/5), Grave of the Fireflies (5/5), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (3.5/5), Oldboy (4.5/5), Gattaca (3.5/5), Children of Men (5/5), The Great Dictator (4.5/5), Diabolique (4.5/5), Aguirre, the Wrath of God (3.5/5), Rashomon (4.5/5), Singin' in the Rain (5/5), Le Samourai (5/5), Hiroshima, Mon Amour (5/5), Battleship Potemkin (4/5), Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (3.5/5), Network (5/5), Once Upon A Time In The West (5/5), Sleeper (2.5/5), Y Tu Mama Tambien (4.5/5), Lawrence of Arabia (3.5/5), Amadeus (4/5), E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (4.5/5), The Postman Always Rings Twice (3.5/5), Ben-Hur (4.5/5), Bug (4/5), All The President's Men (4.5/5), Through a Glass Darkly (4/5), The Leopard (2/5), The Aviator (4.5/5), Duck Soup (4/5), The Good The Bad & The Ugly (5/5), Werckmeister Harmonies (4/5), Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (4.5/5), To Kill A Mockingbird (2.5/5), Brazil (2.5/5), M (5/5), The Sweet Hereafter (4/5), Princess Mononoke (5/5), High and Low (5/5), The Sting (5/5), The King of Comedy (4.5/5), Stand By Me (4.5/5), The Wages of Fear (4/5), Amores Perros (3.5/5), The Music Room (4/5), The Spirit of the Beehive (4/5), Cape Fear (3.5/5), The Passion of Joan of Arc (4/5), The Magnificent Ambersons (3/5), Tokyo Story (5/5), Quiz Show (3/5), Witness For The Prosecution (4/5), The Last Picture Show (4.5/5), Robocop (2.5/5), Grand Illusion (2.5/5), Ikiru (5/5), The Bride of Frankenstein (4/5), The Taste of Cherry (4/5), Eastern Promises (3.5/5), What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? (4/5), Le Doulos (4.5/5), Million Dollar Baby (3/5), Akira (5/5), Lone Star (3/5), Barry Lyndon (2.5/5), Dr. Strangelove (5/5), Leon the Professional (3/5), Arsenic and Old Lace (4/5), The Searchers (2/5), Playtime (4/5), Star Wars: Episode III (3.5/5), The Player (3.5/5), A Few Good Men (3.5/5), Murder on the Orient Express (3/5), The Deer Hunter (4.5/5), Amour (4.5/5), School of Rock (3.5/5), Holiday (5/5), Harakiri (4.5/5), [Total:85]

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 3, 2014

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

friendo55 posted:

The Life & Death of Colonel Blimp (2014.06.01) - more Archers is never a bad thing as I've loved The Red Shoes & Black Narcissus

Try this one next.

King Kong vs. Godzilla - Two famous giants presented in widescreen and color for the first time. The premise alone feels very iconic and is on par with Freddy vs. Jason except this time we have a USA vs. Japan component as well.

In these kinds of films there are the small aspects (human stories) and the big aspects (monsters fighting). The small aspects in this were filled with mainly farcical characters trying to use King Kong for TV ratings and sponsorships. Mr. Tako (Ichiro Arishima) is similar to the J. Jonah Jameson character in Raimi's three Spider-Man films. The best ones are able to harmonize the big and the small and I didn't feel like this one did fully.

The highlight of course is when the two monsters meet near the end. Godzilla thaws out of the frozen island from the prior film and King Kong is discovered on another island. Thunderstorms and lightning give King Kong some power and he seems to have more dexterity. Godzilla has the advantage of fire-breathing and seems to score more points overall (despite King Kong not being particularly flammable).

The Japanese military has more elaborate containment solutions but as usual they're futile. Not surprisingly the ending was ambiguous with King Kong swimming off and Godzilla disappearing.

The King Kong costume seems a little frumpy and deformed. It's 1962 so I'm not expecting some sleek and stylish costume but this creature looks like he was run through a washing machine.

PS I can't recall seeing a film with so many moments that should be captured in .gif form.

Here's some more as an example:
http://doubtfullyyours.tumblr.com/tagged/Godzilla%20gifs

Procrastination (155 completed):

#162 The Hangover - 470,619 votes on IMDb and I haven't seen it. 11/29/14

new #163 Mothra - A giant flying moth. 12/5/14

#90 The Jazz Singer (1927) - I knew a guy who saw this when it was released. He died a couple years back. 11/22/14

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Getting pretty close with your AFI challenge. Go with A Place in the Sun.

As Espequinn said, Zombieland isn't anything particularly groundbreaking but what it does it does fairly well. The film makes the most of it's small cast and delivers a great character dynamic all-around, particularly between Columbus and Tallahassee. The film delivers on the comedy front, but also knows when to reel it back for character building and dramatic moments, striking a nice balance. If there's one negative I have to point out, it's that I that the build up to the climax where the sisters activate Pacific Playland, inadvertently creating a beacon for themselves felt pretty contrived, given how savvy and aware they had been characterized as prior. Generally enjoyed everything else aside from that though.

EDIT: Also watched Grave of the Fireflies. To call this film bleak and depressing would be a massive understatement. Every moment shared between the two siblings comes across really genuine and likeable, which only makes it that much more heartbreaking knowing how things are going to end up and watching their lives come crumbling before them. Seita is painted effectively as a tragic figure, his fatal flaw of pride being used to emphasize emotions of desperation, denial and fear, rather than arrogance. The animation feels appropriately restrained in it's style and pace, as well as boasting excellent use of colour help add to and reinforce the film's tones. A beautiful film all around, and I can definitely see why it's regarded as emotionally resonant as it is.

My List:

2. Good Morning Vietnam - Continuing my Robin Williams film spree with one of the films that really put him on the map.

3. Back to the Future 2 - Thought I added this after watching the first film for the thread for some reason, but apparently I didn't, so I'm adding it now.

4. Fight Club - Often see this regarded as Fincher's magnum opus. The only thing I know going in is the first rule about Fight Club, which I'm not at liberty to talk about.

5. The Shawshank Redemption - I don't know much aside from bits of the ending, and even then I'm pretty vague on at best. I also know that it's considered one of the best films of all time, even topping the IMDb Top 250 list, so there's probably no excuse for me to have not seen it yet.

6. Jackie Brown - The only Tarantino movie I have left to see aside from Death Proof. I know that it's a crime drama that pays heavy tribute to 1970's blaxploitation films (a genre that I admittedly have just about zero personal experience with), and basically nothing else.

7. The Godfather - I feel like I should already be pretty familiar with this movie through sheer cultural osmosis, but I honestly don't know a whole lot going in aside from the horse head scene.

8. Full Metal Jacket - More Kubrick. I know some of iconic scenes of the first half at boot camp and basically nothing else.

9. Pink Floyd - The Wall - I like Pink Floyd and I like surreal imagery, so I can only imagine this should be right up my alley.

10. Kiki's Delivery Service - Recommended this a few times in this thread by virtue of it being my brother's favourite Ghibli movie. Should probably get around to watching it myself.

Deshamed (29): Monty Python's Life of Brian, My Neighbor Totoro, Alien, Back to the Future, Star Wars: A New Hope, Aliens, Hot Fuzz, Ghostbusters, The Fisher King, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Good Will Hunting, Wayne's World, One Hour Photo, This is the End, Inglourious Basterds, Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, John Carpenter's The Thing, The Social Network, The Blair Witch Project, The Silence of the Lambs, Se7en, Fantasia, Kill Bill, The Iron Giant, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, The Avengers, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Zombieland, Grave of the Fireflies

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 7, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Trash Boat posted:

10. Kiki's Delivery Service - Recommended this a few times in this thread by virtue of it being my brother's favourite Ghibli movie. Should probably get around to watching it myself.

This will help wash out the despair of Grave of the Fireflies - and Kiki is an incredibly charming movie.

My list, using AFI top 100:
1. Singin' in the Rain - because I've never been one for musicals.
2. City Lights - :siren: I have never seen a Charlie Chaplin Movie :siren:
3. The General - or Buster Keaton
4. Some Like It Hot - no real idea, I never warmed up to Marilyn Monroe, and I always think of Jack Lemmon from his role in Glengarry Glen Ross
5. To Kill A Mockingbird - I read the book :colbert:
6. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - I like Jimmy Stewart! I do! It's just that this movie sounds corny.
7. All About Eve - Um, not sure I've seen a Bette Davis movie either
8. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I kind of grew up with Nicholson becoming somewhat of a caricature of himself, though I've seen his excellent performances in Chinatown and The Shining.
9. Annie Hall - just mixed feelings about Woody Allen.
10. The Best Years of Our Lives - I've heard good things about it, just never had anyone say "yeah monster it's really good go see it."

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Your Shame:
monster on a stick, I say you watch City Lights, to experience Charlie Chaplin for yourself. It's probably a good movie to get started.

No shame:
Goodfellas with a 9/10, review here

My Shame:
Saving Private Ryan is a movie I always wanted to watch, but I never got around to. I loved movies like We Were Soldiers and Full Metal Jacket.

2001: A Space Odyssey; I did technically watch this, but when I was really young, and I could not really think about it all that hard.

Aliens is the movie I am totally hyped for. I just watched the first Alien, and holy poo poo that was amazing.

American Psycho was something I never heard off, I only saw a few pictures around SA for a while. Interested to see what it is.

Pulp Fiction. I am ashamed of myself. I love Tarantino movies to bits.

Apocalypse Now, see Ryan.

Citizen Kane may be a bit too old for my taste but whatever.

Requiem for a Dream, literally no idea what this is about. I only know that beautiful musical piece (I assume they belong together :shrug: )

Scarface. No excuse.

American History X. I don't even have an idea what this is about.

Never Shame:
Goodfellas [9/10]

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Michaellaneous posted:

Scarface. No excuse.

Say hello to this.

A Place in the Sun - This was a disturbing one with the added effect that the title had me expecting a light-hearted romp.

George Eastman (Montgomery Clift) gets caught between two women (Elizabeth Taylor and Shelley Winters) and gets one of them pregnant. He wants to "have his cake and eat it too" so he continues seeing both of them until things spiral out of control.

It's a familiar situation that's been played out many times before both in the real world and on the screen. The timeless story of some guy wanting to offload his girlfriend/spouse and resorting to murder (been on the news plenty of times; Think of Scott Peterson or Drew Peterson). Stupidity and womanizing is unfortunately timeless.

Where this one excels is that it really captures the dilemma and selfish desires of George without turning him into a complete monster. So by the time the trial rolls around the audience shouldn't be quite certain as to whether he'll go free or get the electric chair. And the courtroom scenes are actually engaging. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A0klZysl2A&feature=youtu.be&t=3m32s :waycool:

It's authenticity is right up there with Rope (1948). Anatomy of a Murder was released seven years later and gets a lot more acclaim but I found this one more compelling.

Also watched:

Mothra - Another giant monster that's not quite as iconic as Godzilla or King Kong but still very recognizable to anyone with cursory knowledge of the era. This one starts out more imaginatively mainly because of the singing twin fairies who are abducted (this aspect parallels the familiar King Kong story).

I found this one funny because it references a fictional country known as "Rolosica" with a large town named "New Kirk City." Its inhabitants speak English and they want to do nuclear weapons testing and they're greedy. One of the more passive-aggressive references to the west I've seen.

The weakness is that the structure of these large monster films has been very predictable. Mothra doesn't have the most entertaining technique for destroying a city like Godzilla and some others either. Swimming like a slug in the water or flying around and causing wind damage just isn't that exciting. And we know that the military attacks are always fruitless.

PS The subtitles referred to Mothra erroneously as a he when it's a she.

Procrastination (156 completed):

#162 The Hangover - 470,619 votes on IMDb and I haven't seen it. 11/29/14

new #164 Hachi: A Dog's Tale - A dog film that's been lurking around the IMDb 250. 12/13/14

new #165 Black Cat, White Cat - A cat film that's been lurking around the IMDb 250. 12/13/14

AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies (98/100 completed):

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Zogo, I'm picking The New World, a film which has stuck with me since I first seen it when it was released, looking forward to seeing your take on it.

XenJ gave me Dreams.

Dreams is the last of the original 10 films that were on the list that from when I first posted in this thread just under 2 years ago.

It's an odd film and what I knew about it had long put me off watching it, having seen the vast majority of Kurosawa's films years ago. It's an anthology film of segments which are apparently all based upon dreams that Akira Kurosawa has had throughout his life. The segments run from around 10 minutes to around 30 at most and though none of them are awful, neither are they particularly entertaining or engaging. Basically every part has Kurosawa in a location (often apparently new to him) and then he encounters an individual or individuals who talk to him about the situation he is in.

The film works as a sort of autobiographical piece but, giving very little details about Kurosawa's life, it works more as him expressing his opinions on a variety of issues in life. These opinions coming from the various characters talking to him in his dreams but it's all appearently based on his subconscious talking to him, so presumably they reflect Kurosawa's opinions.

The most clearly autobiographical segment (titled 'The Tunnel') is also the one where Kurosawa is the most active as he is routinely an onlooker/spectator in these dreams. 'The Tunnel' details Kurosawa encountering dead soldiers from WW2 who do not realise they have died and he feels guilty for causing their deaths. It is the one part of the film that fully engages and has any real weight to it, the rest of the segments are rather cold and meaningless, despite all the life lessons/opinions expressed thoughout.

My (finally Dreams-less) List of Shame:

1 - A Prophet - Heard almost nothing but good things about this, and prison films are usually interesting.

2 - The Host - South Korean monster movie. teenage love triangle featuring a monster based on the novel by Stephenie Meyer? [this reference is now old and even crapper]

3 - Assault on Precinct 13 - Interesting premise & got a good interesting review earlier in the thread too.

4 - Haywire - Another apparently solid action flick, Soderbergh is usually realiable and entertaining in genre mode.

5 - Youth of the Beast - A Seijun Suzuki film that I know nothing about, which is possibly the best thing going in to a Seijun Suzuki film.

6 - Paths of Glory - Early Kubrick and what little I know about it seems very interesting.

7 - 13 Assassins - Takashi Miike's acclaimed samurai epic is one that I've not caught yet, must make amends.

8 - Achilles and the Tortoise - final film of Kitano's 'surrealist autobiographical trilogy'...[Catching up with Kitano 2/4]

9 - What Richard Did - Only film by the brilliant Lenny Abrahamson that I haven't seen yet. [Going with this as my Irish Film Slot now]

10- It's a Wonderful Life - new - Allegedly. I'll tell you if it actually is when this gets picked.

Shame No More: [29] [top three] Psycho | The Third Man | The Long Goodbye | Harakiri | The Silence of the Lambs | Pi | Jaws | Panic Room | Black Swan | Star Trek II | The Brothers Bloom | Hugo | Badlands | Shame | LA Confidential | The Right Stuff | The Evil Dead | Hanna | The Master | The Untouchables | Glengarry Glen Ross | The Seventh Seal | The Apartment | The Player | Ronin | The Grand Budapest Hotel | Glory to the Filmmaker! | Frank | Dreams

Chewy Bitems fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 15, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Chewy Bitems posted:

6 - Paths of Glory - Early Kubrick and what little I know about it seems very interesting.

That is an amazing film (all Kubrick is good - well except maybe Eyes Wide Shut) and so you know what to do.

My review of City Lights is here; overall I liked the movie, it really warmed to me especially towards the end. Better performances than I would have expected.

I also saw Enemy and Prisoners to get my Gyllenhaal fix (though I wasn't his biggest fan until seeing him in Enemy, in which he is tremendous.)

My list, but I will start introducing non-AFI top 100 films to put some more recent stuff on the list.
1. Singin' in the Rain - because I've never been one for musicals.
2. The General - never seen Buster Keaton
3. Some Like It Hot - no real idea, I never warmed up to Marilyn Monroe, and I always think of Jack Lemmon from his role in Glengarry Glen Ross
4. To Kill A Mockingbird - I read the book :colbert:
5. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - I like Jimmy Stewart! I do! It's just that this movie sounds corny.
6. All About Eve - Um, not sure I've seen a Bette Davis movie either
7. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I kind of grew up with Nicholson becoming somewhat of a caricature of himself, though I've seen his excellent performances in Chinatown and The Shining.
8. Annie Hall - just mixed feelings about Woody Allen.
9. The Best Years of Our Lives - I've heard good things about it, just never had anyone say "yeah monster it's really good go see it."
10. Infernal Affairs - Stars Tony Leung who is one of my favorite actors and I would literally watch him do anything. Infernal Affairs seems to have a stellar rep (and was the influence for The Departed as I recall, and I do love me the Departed.) HK cinema I like in general though my favorite director is Wong Kar-Wai.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
monster on a stick since you don't care for musicals, I'm gonna give you Some Like It Hot, the only other one I've seen from your list (whoops, I guess that's what this thread is for)

It took me a while to watch Schindler's List, but you have to be in the right mood to watch a three-hour film about the Holocaust. Still, I'm glad I watched it, because it's fantastic. Emotionally and visually striking, especially the use of lighting combined with the black-and-white really make this a gorgeous looking film, only further highlighting the atrocities on, and off, screen. It feels bad to say this, but for the length and subject matter, it's really watchable. Spielberg had a good editor here, and the film never diverges too far away from what it's trying to do. The film does lay it on a bit thick, especially in the first third when Schindler's just a war profiteer looking for cheap labor, and a little bit with Goeth, but it's interesting how the middle third of the film compares the two men but shows how even though they have a lot of similar ideas, one has compassion while the other is a psychopath. A very good movie.

My list:
1) Boogie Nights - PTA is one of those directors I want to explore more, because his other things haven't quite clicked with me. Maybe this one will

2) The Seventh Seal - I liked Ian McKellen's cameo as Death in Last Action Hero

3) Inland Empire - The Twin Peaks revival announcement's put me in the mood for more Lynch, and I've heard this is his most punshing, weird one.

4) The Hidden Fortress - I love A New Hope, and I love Kurosawa, so this feels like a movie I should love, but I've never seen it.

5) The Holy Mountain - My film teacher said I'd like Jodorowsky if I like Hausu a lot, but I haven't had access to his movies until now.

NEW 6) Days Of Heaven - Next up on my Terrence Malick list

Unshamed: Royal Tenenbaums, 8 1/2, Crimes & Misdemeanors, Pan's Labyrinth, Schindler's List