Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Oh I didn't realize amiibos actually learn behavior, I thought that was bullshit advertisement-speak for "they level up and are more difficult". If they learn something can you retrain them by fighting differently or do you need to erase them and start over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Can you use your amiibo to play group classic mode or are they just for regular smash mode?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Shelf Adventure posted:

Can you train Amiibos to be really terrible at fighting? Like if you go into a match with an Amiibo and just keep taunting over and over will they learn that?

Pay no attention to Mario, we trained him wrong, as a joke.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Kly posted:

Can you use your amiibo to play group classic mode or are they just for regular smash mode?

They don't work in group classic, which is bullshit!! That was like the very first thing I wanted to do, too.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

oh, thats lame. What's the point then? Just to have an opponent who's better then the intentionally gimped AI of the CPU? So basically nintendo made poo poo base AI for the characters so they could have good AI on their $14 toys?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It sure seems that way.

e: Also I may be a bad teacher but I have been specifically teaching Samus to taunt after each kill, and she won't loving do it. What a rip off.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 24, 2014

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

RyokoTK posted:

It sure seems that way.

e: Also I may be a bad teacher but I have been specifically teaching Samus to taunt after each kill, and she won't loving do it. What a rip off.

I doubt you can actually teach your amiibos anything. Or at least, you can't teach them gimmicky annoying poo poo.

I sat a 99 stock infinite time match for my three amiibos two times and now they're all level 50 and I don't know what else to do with them. I think I got suckered by the 'living toy' market again. These will collect dust nicely next to my stupid Skylanders and Disney Infinity figs.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

matrix ripoff posted:

I doubt you can actually teach your amiibos anything. Or at least, you can't teach them gimmicky annoying poo poo.

See I was under the impression that that was what they were for. I guess I got suckered into it too.

It took about 90 minutes, maybe less, to get Samus boosted to level 50. Apparently all she knows how to do now is fear me because the last match I played, she spent the entire thing sprinting away from me and shooting missiles at me. :sigh:

e: And really she doesn't fight any differently than level 7-9 CPUs. Just air-dodges everything I try to do but can't chain two attacks together to save her life. And you can't use them in group classic mode, which I'm actually pretty salty about.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 24, 2014

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Seems like a missed opportunity to not let you use your amiibo buddy to fill in for local coop modes. My son is getting a Luigi one for christmas and i was hoping id be able to train it up to help him play when im not around.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
...After taking a break, I started playing again and scanned the amiibo only to find that she's level 1 again.

This isn't intended behavior, is it?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

matrix ripoff posted:

I sat a 99 stock infinite time match for my three amiibos two times and now they're all level 50 and I don't know what else to do with them. I think I got suckered by the 'living toy' market again. These will collect dust nicely next to my stupid Skylanders and Disney Infinity figs.

Serious question, and I mean no disrespect, but are there people out there above the age of 13 that actually play skylanders?

Don't get me wrong, my son is 8 and he has a million of those drat things, but he's not so good at video games so he asks me to help him sometimes and when I played those games I thought they were the epitome of 'not fun'. Of course, now he has so many skylanders that it doesn't matter how bad he is at games, he still rolls through the game with no challenge.

I could just be jealous that I didn't come up with the idea for skylanders though, talk about a license to print money. I watch him play skylanders and it just makes me sad that he could be playing a really well designed and well thought out mario game instead :(. I think he beat the last skylanders on Christmas Day last year, and I'm not sure if he's really touched it since then...

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

RyokoTK posted:

...After taking a break, I started playing again and scanned the amiibo only to find that she's level 1 again.

This isn't intended behavior, is it?

When you quit out of Smash mode, you're supposed to scan in your Amiibo to save its progress. Don't just turn the system off or quit to the menu without backing out of the character select screen proper.

DoctaFun posted:

Serious question, and I mean no disrespect, but are there people out there above the age of 13 that actually play skylanders?

Don't get me wrong, my son is 8 and he has a million of those drat things, but he's not so good at video games so he asks me to help him sometimes and when I played those games I thought they were the epitome of 'not fun'. Of course, now he has so many skylanders that it doesn't matter how bad he is at games, he still rolls through the game with no challenge.

I could just be jealous that I didn't come up with the idea for skylanders though, talk about a license to print money. I watch him play skylanders and it just makes me sad that he could be playing a really well designed and well thought out mario game instead :(. I think he beat the last skylanders on Christmas Day last year, and I'm not sure if he's really touched it since then...

I have a good friend who's 21 and he plays Skylanders.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
There's lovely gamers who like bad games of all ages.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ChaosArgate posted:

When you quit out of Smash mode, you're supposed to scan in your Amiibo to save its progress. Don't just turn the system off or quit to the menu without backing out of the character select screen proper.

What in the gently caress, is it 1994? :sigh: At least it didn't take that long.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

What in the gently caress, is it 1994? :sigh: At least it didn't take that long.

It's a memory card that you don't leave plugged in...

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.
Man, I had no clue those gamecube controller adapters were so rare. I marched into gamester and they had one on the shelf, the lady that rang me up said people were calling all morning looking for those, and the one I got just came on a UPS truck 10 minutes before I walked in. She said they were not due to receive any more for a full month.

My opinion on the amiibos - they loving suck. Nintendo totally hosed this one up. It would be cool if you bought say pikachu, and it unlocked an alternate playable pikachu character with a different set of lightning skills, new skins, and you could level it up and give it gear and poo poo. But instead, it just gives you an NPC to play against/team up with, a character that is already in the game that you can also team up with.

My 6 year old and 8 year old kids were like "why didn't you buy us some of those disney infinity guys instead"? They look cool on their shelf, well painted and durable, but thats it.

We all like the game though, but the amiibos in their current state are useless.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

DoctaFun posted:

Yeah, and there's people over the age of thirteen that play Minecraft and eat Fruity Pebbles cereal and watch cartoons and read stupid YA books and they don't even have kids of their own. There are people over the age of thirteen who ride skateboards - sometimes for money! There are people over the age of thirteen who read Dr. Seuss books and write ungodly long and boring dissertations on them - and those books are for babies!!! There are people of the age of thirteen who read - get this - COMIC BOOKS. The Sunday Funnies.

Some of these people will get really defensive and tell you that AGE IS JUST A NUMBA. Others will shrug it off and be like "lol I'm a mental retard baby for life, yo." Sadder than that is another group of doofuses who want to play with all this childish poo poo but do not because they are concerned that they will appear as LAME. LAMEY LAME LAME. All three of these groups need to shut the hell up and enjoy their poo poo, whether it's high falutin' mega-adult super-mature stuff or if it's unchallenging, brightly-colored clown-honking baby poo poo. NOBODY CARE. Well, most nobody care.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Amiibos feel like a tricky thing to really nail to me- the features they enable have to feel "worth it" to the point where you'll buy the drat things but they probably don't want people to feel like they're "locking" content behind their plastic toys with memory cards in them, either.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

elf help book posted:

It's a memory card that you don't leave plugged in...

I guess I get that now, but it just seems weird to me since, y'know, memory cards haven't really been a thing for a decade now. I expected that my console would have the data backed up on it since it has a loving hard drive, after all. Ah well, I'm only out an hour and a half.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

RyokoTK posted:

It saves to the figure, that's kinda the whole point.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

matrix ripoff posted:

Yeah, and there's people over the age of thirteen that play Minecraft and eat Fruity Pebbles cereal and watch cartoons and read stupid YA books and they don't even have kids of their own. There are people over the age of thirteen who ride skateboards - sometimes for money! There are people over the age of thirteen who read Dr. Seuss books and write ungodly long and boring dissertations on them - and those books are for babies!!! There are people of the age of thirteen who read - get this - COMIC BOOKS. The Sunday Funnies.

Some of these people will get really defensive and tell you that AGE IS JUST A NUMBA. Others will shrug it off and be like "lol I'm a mental retard baby for life, yo." Sadder than that is another group of doofuses who want to play with all this childish poo poo but do not because they are concerned that they will appear as LAME. LAMEY LAME LAME. All three of these groups need to shut the hell up and enjoy their poo poo, whether it's high falutin' mega-adult super-mature stuff or if it's unchallenging, brightly-colored clown-honking baby poo poo. NOBODY CARE. Well, most nobody care.

haahh woah

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yea the more I read about them the shittier amiibos seem. The best AI in the game is gimped. There's a more challenging version that learns on the disc, but you can only activate it for one character at a time by buying $13 figurines. It's that awful kind of dlc that Nintendo was praised for avoiding until now.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

matrix ripoff posted:

I have a minor in children's lit, so I have experiencing in writing papers on Dr Seuss (literally) but Skylanders / Disney Infinity (without having played them) look like really stripped down poo poo that is entirely a cash grab and doesn't have much depth to offer to someone who plays videogames and wants a deeper experience than "MOVING SHAPES AND ALSO STATUE"

Not a criticism of the style, but rather the content.

Calm yourself.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

matrix ripoff posted:

Some of these people will get really defensive

these groups need to shut the hell up

NOBODY CARE.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Tender Bender posted:

Yea the more I read about them the shittier amiibos seem. The best AI in the game is gimped. There's a more challenging version that learns on the disc, but you can only activate it for one character at a time by buying $13 figurines. It's that awful kind of dlc that Nintendo was praised for avoiding until now.

Level 50 amiibos are not really any better than the old-fashioned CPU level 9s.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

I guess that's one retarded way of looking at it.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Amiibos feel like a tricky thing to really nail to me- the features they enable have to feel "worth it" to the point where you'll buy the drat things but they probably don't want people to feel like they're "locking" content behind their plastic toys with memory cards in them, either.

I think that might be what they tried to do.

However, imagine there were no amiibos and instead they just had it so some of the characters in the game you could level up and then feed equipment too, or instead of doing that you could just add the same character as a CPU character and set it to the level of your choice. Now imagine they made you pay $2 per character to unlock this extra mode where you could level up the character, sounds like a loving ripoff.

IMO its just a stupid loving feature not at all worth the $13.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Blackheart posted:

Isnt that exactly how it is though? Whats the non-retarded way to look at it?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Begby posted:

IMO its just a stupid loving feature not at all worth the $13.

I think the intended idea behind the amiibos is that, no, the Figure Players in Smash are not worth $13, but if you buy Piss Link you get a stupid FP in Smash and you get a spinner in Hyrule Warriors and you get a hat in Mario Kart, and other little nuggets of "content" in other games down the line that may or may not eventually add up to $13 of worth.

It seemed like a sound enough idea to me because I'm kind of stupid with my money, but the current execution is kind of very terrible.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Literally the only actual purpose amiibos serve (from a "making money for Nintendo" point of view, which is the only view that matters to the people making them) is to capitalize on the Disney Infinity/Skylanders market of interactive figurines. Nintendo looked at those games, saw the poo poo-zillions of dollars they were making, and said "we have lots of well-branded characters that we could make into figures, lets get in on that!".

Every actual "function" of the amiibos is an afterthought after selling a gimmick product to children and capitalizing on a fad market. And this is coming from someone who actually bought one.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

matrix ripoff posted:

I'd empty quote this if it were imp zone but it's not so I'll just say hahaha hooooly poo poo dude.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

LanceKing2200 posted:

Literally the only actual purpose amiibos serve (from a "making money for Nintendo" point of view, which is the only view that matters to the people making them) is to capitalize on the Disney Infinity/Skylanders market of interactive figurines. Nintendo looked at those games, saw the poo poo-zillions of dollars they were making, and said "we have lots of well-branded characters that we could make into figures, lets get in on that!".

ding ding ding ding ding

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

LanceKing2200 posted:

Every actual "function" of the amiibos is an afterthought after selling a gimmick product to children and capitalizing on a fad market.

My kids have skylanders and want more, they want that stupid inifinity poo poo after seeing the store display. I got them each an amiibo, they expressly told me they do not want more of them, thats how lame they are. Nintendo totally failed to capitalize on this stupid fad.

I think with skylanders the functionality is not an afterthought, thats why those are more successful.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Even if you don't like the Amiibo functionality, they're still official Nintendo figurines you can just decorate a shelf or desk with. I honestly don't give a poo poo about Amiibo functionality (except for Mario Kart 8 with the Captain Falcon Amiibo :swoon:), but I really like the idea of having a bunch of Nintendo figurines on my desk. Also the current set of Amiibo are literally physical Smash Bros trophies and I've always wanted a few real ones and now I can have them.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

matrix ripoff posted:

Yikes! I have nothing against 'kiddie games' or anything like that. Heck, I liked Elebits for the wii and my son made fun of me for buying it because he said it looked like 'a lame game for babies'. Skylanders screams money grab, like 1000x more than the latest Call of Duty concoction that's released 6 months after the previous one.

Anyways, I'll drop it, I have received the information that I needed, lets just get back to your regularly scheduled programming, piss columns.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Lmao at people who expected anything out of Amiibo other than getting some cool official swag of their favorite Smash character

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yea I can see why kids would want a dragon figure or something that can come to life in their game. The mistake with amiibos became readily apparent when I tapped my Mario amiibo to the gamepad and it showed a little animation of the figurine coming to life, like tadaaa, Mario's here! Except I'd already been playing as Mario for an hour.

Blackheart posted:

What's the nonretarded way?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I just think it's sort of amusing that, if someone one day had said "hey look, Barnes and Noble is now carrying these $13 Nintendo statues" that a few people would've said COOL and went and got them, and other people just wouldn't care. Instead they tried to put some chip into those statues, and it becomes a thing that makes people mad instead of just being indifferent to them.

The DLC comparison only really works if Activision released a DLC key that unlocked a gun in CoD and a song in Rock Band and a new outfit in Destiny or something. It's an ugly rollout early on (Nintendo is great at those) but over time they hopefully still offer some value beyond whatever DLC you're comparing it to for Smash alone.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Amiibos are just Nintendo turning the crank that makes money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

You still get a figurine for your money, so if you don't care about that in the slightest I can see why you might be grumpy about the other features. "man i wanted a new weapon in Hyrule Warriors, but it costs MORE THAN TEN DOLLARS gently caress this gay earth"

But you're really buying a figurine+minor benefits, I don't think you're supposed to look at it as just a DLC purchase.

• Locked thread