Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Hiding up at 9km in a Yak-15 in order to drag out the round doesn't work so well when there's a Ta-152 at 10km hunting your rear end down. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Lost out to:

I'm so sorry, Public.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Less fuel means lighter plane means get faster.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
The current event is really nice for not having to fly against jets in Ta-152s and He-162s but this is offset by everyone dogfighting spitfires and chasing tempests on the deck for fucks sake.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Michaellaneous posted:

It's a 1to1 clone of WoT.
So No.

I'm keeping an eye on it, at least. It looks similar to WoT in an awful lot of ways (it is a tank game and has a HP/arcadey damage model), but there have been some positive signs. They've indicated artillery wouldn't work the same way and the "tank destroyers" seem to be universally thin skinned ATGM carriers (see: no heavy TDs).

Could be fun, we'll see when the beta comes out.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Isn't it being made by Obsidian? I have high hopes that their F2P model won't be as bad as the one in WoT. (Also no loving server-based movement)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Azran posted:

Isn't it being made by Obsidian? I have high hopes that their F2P model won't be as bad as the one in WoT. (Also no loving server-based movement)

It's being published by a Mobile F2P company that is a Subsidiary of a Russian F2P publisher, so there's still a good chance the game will be an awful F2P grind as the company running that aspect of it has plenty of experience in the F2P market.

Maybe someone who has played any of My.com's previous games on iOS/Android can comment on how bad the F2P influence was:

Evolution
Jungle Heat
Lucky Fields
Poker Arena

In terms of actual gameplay we've got very little to go on. At this point what we've seen is a straight WoT clone with more complicated maps -- that said we have seen very little.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 24, 2014

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

BBJoey posted:

:ssh:

to elaborate tanks should not be useless until you get an arbitrary upgrade, because that is Bad Gameplay, this extends to repairs/fire suppression as well.

How is this same statement not transferable to the air aspect(s) of the game as well? I agree that parts & fire are really lame BUT this is a free to play game and they HAVE to make money the unlock system is one way for them to drive sales although a small one.

The thing that really gets to me is how many major bugs are left to linger for so long when a few if not most of them could be hot fixed without waiting for the next major patch.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Szcwczuk posted:

How is this same statement not transferable to the air aspect(s) of the game as well? I agree that parts & fire are really lame BUT this is a free to play game and they HAVE to make money the unlock system is one way for them to drive sales although a small one.

Parts and fire extinguisher let you bring back your tank from the dead and do full engine swaps while hanging out on the battlefield. There is no airplane analogue to that in this game.

Belts for planes have marginal impact or are only useful for killing ground unit npcs. Belts for tanks can be the difference between it being possible or impossible to kill a tank.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Because most (not all / hello Tempest II) stock planes are at least useable. Some barely change during the upgrade process. While a tank can't avoid getting hit, or rather it's defense doesn't change. Making additional firesuppressor charges upgrades is different to making the whole option an upgrade.

EDIT
Relevant pic:

The Tempest II isn't horrible bad when stock. But the difference between the stock and fully upgraded version is massive. Stock it's performing similar to the P47 and should be played like one. While the :s:ed one is a beast, that is just :3: to fly.

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 24, 2014

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Szcwczuk posted:

Because there's never a situation where you are literally incapable of damaging an enemy plane. Even a Po-2 can damage a Cl-13 though of course it's not going to have much effect but that's to be expected from an 8 tier difference. On the other hand within a aingle tier in tanks there a few cases, particularly with the trash early war German guns, where you simply can't do damage without having unlocked APCR or HEAT rounds. In addition there's nothing akin to the fpe and repair unlocks for planes; the only discrete unlocks for planes are for additional abilities in the form secondary weapons and belts, there are no major life-saving features you need to unlock.

Sure Gaijin needs to make money so I don't begrudge the upgrade system as a whole nor the high RP costs for T5 upgrades but the tank upgrade system is poo poo. You NEED fpe, repair and probably at least a few shell upgrades to attain minimal functionality. From there you just pick upgrades more or less at random because there's still no indicator of whether the performance upgrades actually do anything.

e: tempest II stock still owns :colbert:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Tank Boy Ken posted:

The Tempest II isn't horrible bad when stock.

Yes it is.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

How do people fly the J7W? I lose so much altitude when making a turn, regardless of how easily I bank. The plane just doesn't want to follow the mouse once you turn. I know it's meant to dive on people, but how does that work if you can't pull up to save your life?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

:spergin: why the gently caress have they done this

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

BBJoey posted:

Because there's never a situation where you are literally incapable of damaging an enemy plane. Even a Po-2 can damage a Cl-13 though of course it's not going to have much effect but that's to be expected from an 8 tier difference. On the other hand within a aingle tier in tanks there a few cases, particularly with the trash early war German guns, where you simply can't do damage without having unlocked APCR or HEAT rounds. In addition there's nothing akin to the fpe and repair unlocks for planes; the only discrete unlocks for planes are for additional abilities in the form secondary weapons and belts, there are no major life-saving features you need to unlock.

Yes, but you can at least incapacitate a tank if you can't pen them. If you dump HE or other such rounds into a tank's gun, you can disable that gun. You can bend the barrel so that their next shot kills them. You can split the barrel like a banana peel so that it takes forever to repair, effectively knocking it out, if he doesn't just bail out. In this instance, an AA truck can even stand up to a Jagdtiger.

You can also take advantage of what's a pretty good ballistics model. Can't pen a Panther conventionally? Hit his mantlet so that the round is deflected into the top deck or turret ring. It'll even be historically accurate!

It's not ideal, but compared to games like WoT that make your tank useless in almost every way from the start until you play a hundred+ games to unlock the next tracks and multiple useless guns, it's very welcome.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

BBJoey posted:

:spergin: why the gently caress have they done this

Was going to post the same thing but in regards to the Invader and TB3, etc.

Does seem ominous, although might mean the Invader gets 360+360 rewards so :)

Could well be all the people who have bitched over the years for not being able to buy the Invader has caused them to think, easy money and create packs for the rare planes. If so the Invader pack will have an absurd price tag.

ukle fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 24, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Trying out Shadowplay and tried landing with my Panther on a carrier for the first time. I picked a good song from iTunes, alt tabbed back in and landed. It all lined up loving perfectly, lol.

http://youtu.be/4XDfYAPWgGA

:smug:

:pilot:

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 24, 2014

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I like how all the clouds mean I can't see anything or anyone, but the 5 japanese planes within a 1km can sure as poo poo see me.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Plan Z posted:

compared to games like WoT that make your tank useless in almost every way from the start until you play a hundred+ games to unlock the next tracks and multiple useless guns, it's very welcome.

I've never played WoT. I probably never will. It's still inexcusable bullshit. Less garbage than the other garbage is still garbage.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

I've never played WoT. I probably never will. It's still inexcusable bullshit. Less garbage than the other garbage is still garbage.

Yeah "not as exploitative as one of the most exploitative popular f2p games on the market" is uh faint praise.

ukle posted:

Was going to post the same thing but in regards to the Invader and TB3, etc.

Does seem ominous, although might mean the Invader gets 360+360 rewards so :)

Could well be all the people who have bitched over the years for not being able to buy the Invader has caused them to think, easy money and create packs for the rare planes. If so the Invader pack will have an absurd price tag.

Based on my D.521 and Lagg 3-23 being marked Bundle as well I think it's just a label they put on anything that can't be bought with eagles directly from the game. It looks loving dumb though :spergin::hf::argh:

AhrimanPK
Oct 9, 2012

'Ello 'Ello 'Ello

My name's Clive Owen!
As requested by a couple of Goons here is a screenshot from an outing in the still amazing Griffspits. Two of my kills were Zeros on Marmite's tail, he then went on to kill or outlast the rest of their team. Arson got 2 kills in his first flight in the Mk 22. :getin:

Muhlump :negative:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Oh man this is getting rough, ash river tanks, solo capture point is in the south. Entire team except myself and another guy go to the capture point while the rest of the team goes to hide north in the hills for sick sniping action.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I'm trying really hard to enjoy the D.520 in SB despite a win rate of something like 20% and and maybe five deaths to every kill. Even if half the matches weren't against a team 190 A-4s with airspawn, I'd do bad because this plane is very comfortable until I need it to cooperate, and then my veins rupture and my teeth shatter and my eyes explode out because a tight turn that is usually doable turns into a snaproll. And then another roll. Often a third if I'm not dead yet. Why does this happen- I'm having trouble outturning even snaptastic German fighters without doing it- and how do I best control it? It'd be less keyboard smashingly frustrating if I understood why this turn is okay but that turn of equal speed and severity isn't and aaaaaaaagh.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sard posted:

I'm trying really hard to enjoy the D.520 in SB despite a win rate of something like 20% and and maybe five deaths to every kill. Even if half the matches weren't against a team 190 A-4s with airspawn, I'd do bad because this plane is very comfortable until I need it to cooperate, and then my veins rupture and my teeth shatter and my eyes explode out because a tight turn that is usually doable turns into a snaproll. And then another roll. Often a third if I'm not dead yet. Why does this happen- I'm having trouble outturning even snaptastic German fighters without doing it- and how do I best control it? It'd be less keyboard smashingly frustrating if I understood why this turn is okay but that turn of equal speed and severity isn't and aaaaaaaagh.
Lower your joystick sensitivity and get back to us, it may be that simple if you are able to control it focusing on the joy.

Other than that I'd suggest trying a typhoon or last hurricane?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Mr. Wookums posted:

Lower your joystick sensitivity and get back to us, it may be that simple if you are able to control it focusing on the joy.

Other than that I'd suggest trying a typhoon or last hurricane?

It feels like there's something else going on, I know that a lot of these rolls are not from pulling too hard on the stick. Some happen at a light touch, others during a turn that's otherwise okay. I don't really know the full mechanics of what's going on though. In the Typhoon, it only happens from overpulling. Here it seems random; Even in RB with instructor the plane will sometimes abruptly roll.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Felony posted:

How do people fly the J7W? I lose so much altitude when making a turn, regardless of how easily I bank. The plane just doesn't want to follow the mouse once you turn. I know it's meant to dive on people, but how does that work if you can't pull up to save your life?

Go fast, do head-on because it's all you can do in some situations, don't turn fight unless you're going fast and do partial loops as you do it. It's pretty rough at first in it.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

BBJoey posted:

:ssh:

to elaborate tanks should not be useless until you get an arbitrary upgrade, because that is Bad Gameplay, this extends to repairs/fire suppression as well.

I agree with regards to parts and fire extinguishers but the whole ammo/gun vs armour aspect is an intrinsic part of tanks.

Now, just unlocked the t-34-85 and am going up against teams of tigers and Panthers every round....

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Sard posted:

It feels like there's something else going on, I know that a lot of these rolls are not from pulling too hard on the stick. Some happen at a light touch, others during a turn that's otherwise okay. I don't really know the full mechanics of what's going on though. In the Typhoon, it only happens from overpulling. Here it seems random; Even in RB with instructor the plane will sometimes abruptly roll.

It's snap rolling because the wing in the direction you roll momentarily stalled. This can happen at any speed, the only requirement is that the angle of attack reaches the point where the airflow separates from the wing.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I'm trying to get back into this now that semester is winding down, is there anyone who still plays sim either tanks or planes?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
For sim tanks you have to play during Russian and European primetime.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Tanks seems to have seen a drop all-around. Sim planes seems the same as ever, though I've noticed a lot more activity in this thread which suggests more goons are in on it. I don't know how active the Mumble channels are as I've never ran into anyone playing Sim whenever I've tried, which is generally evening times PST.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Teeter posted:

Tanks seems to have seen a drop all-around. Sim planes seems the same as ever, though I've noticed a lot more activity in this thread which suggests more goons are in on it. I don't know how active the Mumble channels are as I've never ran into anyone playing Sim whenever I've tried, which is generally evening times PST.
Yeah, there's a regular RB and Arcade Mumble crew, not much activity as far as sim.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Subyng posted:

I agree with regards to parts and fire extinguishers but the whole ammo/gun vs armour aspect is an intrinsic part of tanks.

Sure, but when you consider for example the T-28 which is incapable of penetrating Panzer IIIs except from directly behind and Panzer IVs from any angle with its awful default Shrapnel shells, that's Bad Gameplay. Similarly the T-60 is near useless until you get the APCR belt which is a !T4! upgrade. You also have cases like the Russian 45mm, widely used in T1, which has so-so APHE shells that won't be able to scratch a StuG's front but then with APCR suddenly get a shell which can penetrate more than 10cm of armour plating.

Basically it's not well thought out. You have tanks like the T-50 which are incredibly fast and good at flanking which is necessary at first because your APHE won't be getting frontal penetrations any time soon. Suddenly with APCR the T-50 turns into a one-hit-kill wonder because it can blow right the gently caress through anything in their way. That single APCR upgrade is more important than the entire rest of the upgrade tree combined (less FPE/Repair) which isn't well balanced at all.

Gameplay-wise it doesn't mean much because you can blow through those early tanks in like 3 rounds (I don't know if there are similar problems further down the tree because lol gently caress playing ground forces) but it's emblematic of Gaijin's awful game design. For air battles you can ignore it because the fly-planes-shoot-planes part of the game is actually fun. With ground forces though dumb game design decisions like the lack of functionality without core upgrades or the hosed up respawn system which is for some reason different across all three modes keep intruding and making it not fun.

that's my :spergin:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I have like 460k convertible RP, wow. How did that happen? Is it useful for anything?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
no

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

If money is no issue, and you want to buy a plane that anyone can get for free for like $60, then yeah, it has a use. It's mostly useful as a tally of how much you've played the game, really.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

fw sucks

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

actually it's good

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

its a good support plane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I have 23 million free RP :stare:

• Locked thread