Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
in that case i'm gonna make a sword/board templar dorf because those are cool and good and dorfs are nice

i will bone down with cassandra and run with cass/me/iron bull/dorian. then i will let iron bull and dorian bone down together (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWu3gc80ZGw) and we will go on double dates to kill dragons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

It looks like its a really good tier 3 light armor too.

Yeah, I was using it when I beat the game. (Mage)

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

It looks like its a really good tier 3 light armor too.

It's certainly easy to get comparatively.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Yo can you get Circle Mage robes in this game? Am I stuck forever in terrible tights and a doublet? Will I ever look like a proper-rear end wizard?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The most bullshit thing ever is that enemy mages get to look like complete badasses with grimoires floating in front of them, and PCs are stuck twirling a staff.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

bees everywhere posted:

I didn't let Sera join the inquisition. At the time I was worried that I'd be skipping over a lot of content and maybe a useful party member, but I really felt that she didn't fit in with the whole tone of the game and she was completely annoying. She reminded me of a punk chav version of Juno (as in that movie) but immensely less funny. I'm very glad bioware gave us the option to push the gently caress off button right after meeting her so you don't have to spend the rest of the game waiting for a chance to kill her off.

She's the only character where you get an option to kick her out whenever you drat well please, and you'll certainly be tempted to use it after her sidequest.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Alain Post posted:

The most bullshit thing ever is that enemy mages get to look like complete badasses with grimoires floating in front of them, and PCs are stuck twirling a staff.

Yeah, you meet these guys in long robes with floating books casting glyphs on the ground while you're at the ren-faire spinning your JRPG weapon. CMON.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I've been playing on hard since the start (currently level 10 and at the beginning of act 2) and it seems like every enemy has 100% more health than it should. It's not really difficult, just tedious to have four people blasting some lovely rear end bandit and knocking him around like a ragdoll for 20 seconds straight until he finally dies.

Does it get better with more levels or better gear or should I just lower the difficulty to normal?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - Challenge yourself to use cross class combos and different strategies. As a mage I can either plink from beyond the enemies' fields of view or I can go down in the thick of things with my team and do all sorts of badass poo poo.

Alain Post posted:

I seriously wish I could have been a ventonori or whatever mage. Those books look way better than staff-twirling.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

speaking of armor tiers when do the armor choices begin to diversify? I just completed the Mage quest in act 1 and tho I appreciate the modularity of my virtual warrior hero outfits it is kind of weird that I've only seen like two different base armors to build off of. I kno I'm pretty early in the game tho

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Alain Post posted:

Agreedo

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Kainser posted:

I thought she was in her late twenties based on her model and then she told me that she had been in the seekers for 20 years and welp :v:

Still not as bad as Leliana, who looks younger than she did in Origins.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I haven't had time to play more than an hour of the game yet (I needed to finish Words of Radiance), and most of that time has been spent making Inquisitors. How are the characters? Are they as bad as some of the promotional materials made them sound? Like Dorian with the "look dashing" quote?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Torrannor posted:

I haven't had time to play more than an hour of the game yet (I needed to finish Words of Radiance), and most of that time has been spent making Inquisitors. How are the characters? Are they as bad as some of the promotional materials made them sound? Like Dorian with the "look dashing" quote?

Dorian and Sera are bad, I didn't really mind the rest except maybe Cole.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dammit. I can get this dragon down more than halfway, but once it starts introducing baby dragons into the thick of things, I just can't get through it. Doesn't help that my teammates are kind of poo poo at not getting shot by the fireball--I can dodge all day, but they can't. I wish the dragon's suction ability didn't do damage with every pulse.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Still not as bad as Leliana, who looks younger than she did in Origins.

The engine transition made a lot of people and clothes look different.

For example (act 2, after a party) Morrigan has to wear a bra with her Origins outfit now. Hmm, do we have to spoiler that Morrigan is in the game?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Lotish posted:

Dammit. I can get this dragon down more than halfway, but once it starts introducing baby dragons into the thick of things, I just can't get through it. Doesn't help that my teammates are kind of poo poo at not getting shot by the fireball--I can dodge all day, but they can't. I wish the dragon's suction ability didn't do damage with every pulse.

The dragon in the Hinterlands is one of the tougher ones so if you really want to kill a dragon I'd recommend the one in the Western Approach or Crestwood.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Torrannor posted:

I've yet to get my full party, so perhaps I'm not in the best position to give a good assessment of them, but aside from Sera, who is so terrible I constantly wonder if Basic Chunnel was drunk every time he posted in this thread, they're actually pretty decent. I've yet to meet Cole or get Dorian to join the Inquisition proper, though.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
After going thru the Character Creation and playing the tutorial about 5 times since the game came out, I finally got a face I like.

Here's Oliver. He still looks a little funny in some screens. And forgive the crappy phone pics of a PS3 screen. I don't know how to take screenshots on the PS3. But I'm having fun with him so far thru the tutorial. My problem is some of the cutscenes make my character look funny and I end up restarting because I don't want to play hours staring at some derpy face.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Is it possible to get Iron Bull guard outside of that rune or giving him a shield? He likes to get his rear end kicked and chug all my potions a lot and I can't recast barrier fast enough.

Also I haven't even seen runes or the third type of potion yet, but I still haven't done the mage/templar quest.

Get him some Vanguard Skills, the skill is called Charging Bull for a reason.

The Champion tree for Warriors is garbage from a butt outside the chain attack.

Two-handed Warrior tank build:

Vanguard Skills:
Warcry
Call to Arms
Challenge
Throw the Guantlet
Charging Bull
Gore and Trample

Two-Handed Skills:
Mighty Blow
Easy Target
Shield Breaker
Whirlwind
Rising Winds

Champion Skills:
Grappling Chain
Give them the Boot

Reaver Skills:
Whatever you want, the passives on the right side are good (Fervor and Scenting Blood) but the actives kind of suck because you're going to have guard and not be low in health. Ring of Pain is like a lovely Whirlwind.

Optional Skills:
Unbowed out of Vanguard. Can generate extra guard when Warcry is on cooldown/you're out of stamina.
It'll Cost You, Untouchable Defense, Trust the Steel, and Cutting Words ain't bad. Bodyguard sucks. If you aren't spending stamina on killing enemies or managing threat you are doing it wrong.
Clear a Path out of Two-handed. If you find yourself using AOE weapons only and running out of stamina a lot.
Pommel Strike. Grappling Chain is basically a poor man's Pommel Strike but you don't have to waste two points just to get to it.

Battle opening:

Charging Bull through as many guys you can -> War Cry for no stamina cost due to Gore and Trample. Your guard is typcially 80% now and you're in the middle of enemies. Now pop Whirlwind until your stamina is out. Challenge a guy that's running towards your softies to get him back and regen your stamina fast with Throw the Guantlet. Now would be a good time to wrap up the battle with Grappling Chain -> Mighty Blow combo for 800% weapon damage.

Or open up a battle with a Grappling Chain -> Mighty Blow combo on a mage/archer to eliminate a target off the bat.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 24, 2014

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Thumbtacks posted:

There's a 2h axe you get later on that gives guard for attacks, so if IB is a reaver he gets a lot of guard really quickly.

If you go sword/board, can you use the damage skills from the other trees, or are you more or less stuck just doing sword/board nonsense? I like how it looks more than 2h weapons and to be honest if you're a templar it doesn't do TOO much more damage going 2h over SB, so I'm wondering if I go SB can I still more or less just do daamge instead of tanking?

Is the "give guard with attacks" ability unique to that axe, or are you able to craft it onto weapons as well?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

hobbesmaster posted:

The engine transition made a lot of people and clothes look different.

For example (act 2, after a party) Morrigan has to wear a bra with her Origins outfit now. Hmm, do we have to spoiler that Morrigan is in the game?

Considering that the very first promotional video for Inquisition featured Morrigan quite prominently I don't think it has to be spoiled that she is in the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

God drat I love Knight Enchanter. I can't get enough of this. It took my Hard playthrough from "always micromanage every move in difficult fights" to "gently caress it, Fade Step in, Barrier up, and get slashing." The damage, defensive, and crowd control abilities have me at a point where the AI can actually take care of themselves on Hard, and that's astonishing. Gold star to Static Cage for that, too.

Has anyone found a use for that Disruption Field ability in the Knight Enchanter tree, though? It seems like it's way too small to be useful, especially with that whole "if an enemy is bigger than the field they're immune" caveat.

Also, I really want the Rejuvenating Barriers trait that gives your Barriers a mana/stamina regeneration effect. It'd be really nice to have even more mana regeneration on top of Combat Clarity. The problem is that to get it, I either have to grab Peaceful Aura, which should make enemies target me less (and why would I want that as a Knight Enchanter?) or go all the way around the right side of the tree and grab a bunch of things I probably won't use, like Mind Blast (which doesn't seem to do much, and again, why would I want enemies to stop targeting my immortal guy) and Revival (I already have Resurgence).

Torrannor posted:

There's only one character that I'd call poorly-written, if I'm being honest. Dorian turned out to be pretty cool--yeah, he's vain, but by and large he's actually pretty likable and amusing (aside from some unsavory opinions regarding the values of the Tevinter Imperium). Sera's insufferable, I think, which is odd because in general her opinions are actually pretty well-reasoned. Just the writing for her and her awful, awful "humor" kills the character for me.

Everyone else is pretty great. My favorites are probably Solas, Iron Bull, Cassandra, and Varric.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Is there some prevention of save scumming when trying to craft masterwork items going on or was I just having some really lovely luck?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

speaking of armor tiers when do the armor choices begin to diversify? I just completed the Mage quest in act 1 and tho I appreciate the modularity of my virtual warrior hero outfits it is kind of weird that I've only seen like two different base armors to build off of. I kno I'm pretty early in the game tho

You can get a good amount of schematics after you get to Act 2, but you kind of have to hunt for them. You pick them up from scattered vendors and quests all over the place. Special mention to the Warden armor sets--there's a light, medium, and heavy version of it and they all look awesome. You can get schematics for them from the Dalish elves on the Exalted Plains.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

VDay posted:

I gave Cole two daggers enchanted with the "+3 guard on hit" rune and he might be more durable than my knight enchanter. Between stealth, the low aggro pull, and the daggers he's literally always at full health+guard.

Who knows where to find this rune? I need this rune.

Also the first merchant in haven sells some badass rogue armor but it's loving horrible. Is there anywhere to find a schematic or an updated version? I think it's called inquisitor scout armor or something along those lines. I've been wearing the same overcoat/vest/tights for like 20 hours now

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I didn't follow anything about this game and just remembered it was even released. What has the general consensus been on this versus dragon age 2. I had so little fun playing DA2 that I couldn't even get more then a few hours into the game. Does this play similar enough to da2 that I can safely assume I wont' like it either?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - infinitely better. The UI in DA3 is pretty terrible, however. Some camera wonkiness, but that can be usually worked through just by familiarity with the systems - spend a few hours and while it'll still be bad, you'll be able to use it pretty okay.

What the gently caress is the point of having a crafting mechanic that only works X% of the time? It doesn't make it 'fun' or 'interesting'.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Harrow posted:

You can get a good amount of schematics after you get to Act 2, but you kind of have to hunt for them. You pick them up from scattered vendors and quests all over the place. Special mention to the Warden armor sets--there's a light, medium, and heavy version of it and they all look awesome. You can get schematics for them from the Dalish elves on the Exalted Plains.

Thank you, brave knight.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LibbyM posted:

I didn't follow anything about this game and just remembered it was even released. What has the general consensus been on this versus dragon age 2. I had so little fun playing DA2 that I couldn't even get more then a few hours into the game. Does this play similar enough to da2 that I can safely assume I wont' like it either?

The combat is extremely similar. Everything else is really, really different, though. The environments are a lot larger and more varied, the dungeons are much better (and occasionally not even particularly linear), the cast is generally good, and overall there's just a shitload more to do (and it's more interesting, too). I'm liking it a ton more than DA2, but it's worth noting the combat hasn't returned to DA:O or anything. They did get rid of the stupid "waves from nowhere" encounter design, though. The only time you'll run into waves of enemies is when it actually makes sense (holding the line against an army, demons pouring in from a Fade Rift, etc.).

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
I'm having a difficult time picking a class. How good is an archer rogue? I was gonna be a Sword and board but the idea of being a tank and not dealing much damage somehow wasn't that appealing after looking at the talents.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AngryBooch posted:

Get him some Vanguard Skills, the skill is called Charging Bull for a reason.

The Champion tree for Warriors is garbage from a butt outside the chain attack.

Vanguard Skills:
Warcry
Call to Arms
Challenge
Throw the Guantlet
Charging Bull
Gore and Trample

Two-Handed Skills:
Mighty Blow
Easy Target
Shield Breaker
Whirlwind
Rising Winds

Champion Skills:
Grappling Chain
Give them the Boot

Reaver Skills:
Whatever you want, the passives on the right side are good (Fervor and Scenting Blood) but the actives kind of suck because you're going to have guard and not be low in health. Ring of Pain is like a lovely Whirlwind.

Optional Skills:
Unbowed out of Vanguard. Can generate extra guard when Warcry is on cooldown/you're out of stamina.
It'll Cost You, Untouchable Defense, Trust the Steel, and Cutting Words ain't bad. Bodyguard sucks. If you aren't spending stamina on killing enemies or managing threat you are doing it wrong.
Clear a Path out of Two-handed. If you find yourself using AOE weapons only and running out of stamina a lot.
Pommel Strike. Grappling Chain is basically a poor man's Pommel Strike but you don't have to waste two points just to get to it.

Battle opening:

Charging Bull through as many guys you can -> War Cry for no stamina cost due to Gore and Trample. Your guard is typcially 80% now and you're in the middle of enemies. Now pop Whirlwind until your stamina is out. Challenge a guy that's running towards your softies to get him back and regen your stamina fast with Throw the Guantlet. Now would be a good time to wrap up the battle with Grappling Chain -> Mighty Blow combo for 800% weapon damage.

Or open up a battle with a Grappling Chain -> Mighty Blow combo on a mage/archer to eliminate a target off the bat.

Thanks, I'll respec him and try this out. Too bad I can't get him to follow that strategy out of manual control though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think I just ran across a specialization-specific war table mission. It has the Knight Enchanter tree symbol on it, which is the specialization I picked like two thirds of the people in this thread.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Harrow posted:

The combat is extremely similar. Everything else is really, really different, though. The environments are a lot larger and more varied, the dungeons are much better (and occasionally not even particularly linear), the cast is generally good, and overall there's just a shitload more to do (and it's more interesting, too). I'm liking it a ton more than DA2, but it's worth noting the combat hasn't returned to DA:O or anything. They did get rid of the stupid "waves from nowhere" encounter design, though. The only time you'll run into waves of enemies is when it actually makes sense (holding the line against an army, demons pouring in from a Fade Rift, etc.).

yeah DA2's trash mobs are pretty much gone. It's pretty rare that you fight more than, what, more than 5-6 enemies at the same time?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Wiseblood posted:

Is there some prevention of save scumming when trying to craft masterwork items going on or was I just having some really lovely luck?

Not sure. I tried the 20% chance masterwork items for several reloads, and then used one of the 30% chance ones and got it first try.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Lotish posted:

Not sure. I tried the 20% chance masterwork items for several reloads, and then used one of the 30% chance ones and got it first try.

How do you tell if you got the masterwork i tried a bunch with the 40% items and i can never tell if it worked because i saved/loaded like 15 times and the items always seem the same.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
When does act 3 start, and how long is it? Please tell me longer than DA2's act 3.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Harrow posted:

Alain Post posted:

yeah DA2's trash mobs are pretty much gone. It's pretty rare that you fight more than, what, more than 5-6 enemies at the same time?

The constant waves of trash enemies was definitely one of my biggest problem with DA2. Smaller encounters against stronger enemies would go a long way for me.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

CrusherEAGLE posted:

I'm having a difficult time picking a class. How good is an archer rogue? I was gonna be a Sword and board but the idea of being a tank and not dealing much damage somehow wasn't that appealing after looking at the talents.

Sword/board doesn't have to tank, and you can do a decent amount of damage that way. Plus it helps because if you manage to just get an enemy to yourself, the rest of your party can more or less ignore it since you're more than capable of killing it without taking any damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Wiseblood posted:

Like all percentage-based things in games, it works way less often than you think it should. It took me like a dozen tries to get it to proc using a 30% component once. Yay fun gameplay mechanics...

AngryBooch posted:

Well poo poo, time for a 10th restart.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Who knows where to find this rune? I need this rune.
I mispoke a bit since I couldn't think of what the item was called at the time, but it's not an actual rune. It's a masterwork crafting component called Fade-Touched Obsidian. I'm not 100% on this, but I believe that I found it in a chest in one of the locked houses/shacks in Redcliffe. There are two and one just has a chest and a "hidden" bottle, while the other has a chest and a book and I believe the obsidian is a fixed drop from the chest.

• Locked thread