Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
Much rather have a quite smooth high res picture than a blurry as gently caress one that is super smooth yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Muramasa is a Wii game, unless you're playing in Dolphin you're not getting anything from the higher resolution since the Wii only renders at 480p max anyway. Muramasa is also a very fast and actiony game that definitely benefits from higher framerates.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Unless he's streaming Rebirth, although he probably would have noted that. Pretty sure that's a white listed title for Vita TV although I still agree with Admiral, you want the higher framerate for Muramasa.

Artix fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 3, 2014

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Yeah, I'd go for the higher resolution over the frame-rate.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Also, according to the most famous of LP'ers over on reddit, 4 videos a day per series is the optimal production rate.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
DSPs real reaction would be "What the gently caress? It turned off? Oh right, I was just supposed to know that. Thanks a lot for this piece of poo poo Kojima!"

Also: Those LPers on reddit you mention are probably idiots. Unless of course they only care for the cumulative number of views going up. Which I guess they should if they wanna make money with their stuff. But no one will be able to keep up with that many videos a day and even as an LPer it's only possible if you upload your raw unedited footage. Which I know many people do, sadly.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

IGgy IGsen posted:

Also: Those LPers on reddit you mention are probably idiots. Unless of course they only care for the cumulative number of views going up. Which I guess they should if they wanna make money with their stuff. But no one will be able to keep up with that many videos a day and even as an LPer it's only possible if you upload your raw unedited footage. Which I know many people do, sadly.

Oh no, they are complete idiots and I find it incredibly hilarious to read all their discussions, arguments and the conclusions they arrive at. And I wouldn't doubt if they just uploaded raw footage that included dozens if not hundreds of boring, stale video.

In other words, people that just aim to upload a lot of videos every day are the LP equivalent of DBZ or any other show with countless amounts of filler.

IGgy IGsen posted:

DSPs real reaction would be "What the gently caress? It turned off? Oh right, I was just supposed to know that. Thanks a lot for this piece of poo poo Kojima!"

"My PC's bugged! I knew it was a piece of poo poo, I can't believe I paid 3000$ for this garbage. This is why consoles are better!"

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

IGgy IGsen posted:

I'm curious to see the view counts of the people saying, "Yeah, four videos a day sound about right."

Though they probably still get more views than most of the people on SA.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

IGgy IGsen posted:

Depends on how long the episodes are, I would think. If it were literally your only job and you had nothing else going on in your life, it wouldn't overly difficult to edit four ten-twenty minute episodes a day.

That being said it's super dumb because everyone's going to fall behind on your dumb series so just spread it out a little more I would think.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Mega64 posted:

I'm curious to see the view counts of the people saying, "Yeah, four videos a day sound about right."

Though they probably still get more views than most of the people on SA.

I don't think so. You look at the people who post their garbage introductory threads here and their views are usually below 50 and they upload at least one video per day. I don't know if that advice is worth following anyway since I doubt someone who is starting out and just making GBS threads out videos as quickly as they can will really outshine the thousands of other people doing the exact same thing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

judge reinhold posted:

I don't think so. You look at the people who post their garbage introductory threads here and their views are usually below 50 and they upload at least one video per day. I don't know if that advice is worth following anyway since I doubt someone who is starting out and just making GBS threads out videos as quickly as they can will really outshine the thousands of other people doing the exact same thing.

Oh, the advice is definitely bad, but there's definitely a balance between "Crank out a bunch of poo poo" and "Put in a lot of time to make something great" that you have to strike to get views.

The best advice is to have a personality that attracts certain types of people and pair it with a game that is unique and interesting enough that tons of people want to see it played. I'm mainly curious to see how many of the people on the LP subreddit actually have a decent audience.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

judge reinhold posted:

I think the issue is that:

1. This advice used to be worth something. Back when LP was new, people just wanted anything. Now that the market's flooded if I don't particularly care for a video series, I have a lot of more options than I used to.

2. Unfortunately, when you take a break, you will lose viewers who don't come back. So you're kind of doing this balancing act of "I want people to know my channel is alive and kicking because they won't wait" and "well, I can't post just anything."

Popular LPers seem to have a system where they have a series standby that they're good at - something like NorthernLion's Binding of Isaac videos where you know what you're getting and the player is adept at pushing out that kind of content - interspersed with the really high effort stuff.

I guess what I'm saying is the standby videos keep asses in the seats, but then you have put out other really good stuff to pull new people in. Frankly, I think you have to be full-time in order to get the kind of viewership required to do it full-time.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Notherlion's Isaac videos are a great example because they don't really require any editing and it's always something new so you can effectively make them for ever. The greatest thing about them though is that they're self contained so you can jump in whenever you feel like it without actually missing anything but if you watch all of them you can see him grow as player in skill and knowledge.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
But then you suffer from the problem of having little variety because last I checked he had like 900 Isaac videos, and also Northernlion is an insufferable tool.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

But then you suffer from the problem of having little variety because last I checked he had like 900 Isaac videos, and also Northernlion is an insufferable tool.

Please do not be rude. Do onto others as they would do onto you.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

slowbeef posted:

2. Unfortunately, when you take a break, you will lose viewers who don't come back. So you're kind of doing this balancing act of "I want people to know my channel is alive and kicking because they won't wait" and "well, I can't post just anything."

Is that true? I think people might lose interest, but I don't know anybody who prunes their subscription list regularly based on inactivity. Personally, I've unsubscribed to the Yogscast guys because they kept posting videos that I eventually realized I was never clicking on. Also, I unsubscribe from people on Twitter who go on lovely retweet sprees that clog my feed. And I consider myself the paragon to judge all other humans by.

Suspicious Dish posted:

This is good and I hope others adopt this mentality.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Even if you don't subscribe to the idea that when people who put out videos at breakneck speeds lose subs when they go dark for a while, you can at least say they lose views that they could be otherwise getting.

That time you spend doing whatever else could be just as easily spent cranking out no effort minecraft videos and tricking a bunch of rubes into watching.

I'm sure a lot of us maintain that we're willing to wait for something if it's good, but the sad reality might be that we're all just old and used to not having a constant stream of poo poo to watch online always that people growing up now are used to

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It seems that you can lose subscribers if you put out too little, but also lose subscribers if you put out too much. It appears to me that the truth is somewhere in the middle.

*South Park moralizing song plays*

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Suspicious Dish posted:

And after all, how can you hate this face

edit: he's already got 78 episodes of The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth and it's been out for 2 weeks. I can safely say I don't like this man or the rate at which he produces content

But then again, I function on a schedule of "work on it whenever I'm not crippled by depression" when it comes to editing my LPs so I am probably not the best fit for talking about consistent video production.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

judge reinhold posted:

This is good and I hope others adopt this mentality.

I fear this is a dangerous mentality, because some people want weird things done to them.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Northernlion is a swell fella who makes pretty bad Isaac videos. I mean, he could have stopped at about 100, which was when he unlocked everything, I think. But nooooo, I had to watch on for a bit after that. Yes I'm bitter.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

CJacobs posted:

edit: he's already got 78 episodes of The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth and it's been out for 2 weeks. I can safely say I don't like this man or the rate at which he produces content

He is properly leveraging his brand with BOI's to produce synergy. How can he not be a content creator?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I didn't say he wasn't a content creator so I don't know what you're talking about, unless you are taking the mickey out of me in which case stop it

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I think there's a counterpoint to be made to the 4 a day number. Chuggaaconroy does about 1/day, and he puts a lot of work into his LPs. He even meticulously planned out loving Animal Crossing. Not only that, when he got sick he took it seriously enough to advance the DS day by day when he got better so his year-long LP wasn't ruined. He's still one of the bigger LPers. I mean, you can have your opinion about his commentary or whether he's annoying, but on a technical level he clearly does a lot of planning and editing work and it seems to work out pretty well for him.

There are some people I like, like Arumba and Quill18, but they put out such a large volume of videos that no matter how cool they are it's extremely easy to burn out on them. I just can't watch 150 episodes of unedited stream of consciousness Europa Universalis 4 when you post 6 a day.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

I do not hate anybody. Hate is a strong and dangerous emotion to feel.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Suspicious Dish posted:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

While I wouldn't use the term "hate", I do foster a strong dislike for the people that put out content in such large amounts.

I can not for the life of me figure out how the gently caress I'm supposed to watch all that stuff - I've got other poo poo to do too, you know! I follow over 40 different LPs here right now while doing my own, but it works because it's not like all of them update every day. I try to go for an update every 1~2 weeks myself, which seems to be a fairly good pseudo-schedule to hold, because it allows the reader to branch out and keep up with other stuff more easily. Honestly, I don't have the balls to demand the reader focus on me and only me for one to two hours at least every day - there's a lot of good poo poo out there, and I wouldn't want to keep them from seeing that just because I for some reason have a total breakneck pace.

But, you know, that's why I don't make the big (or little (or any)) bucks, apparently. Well, that and the fact that SSLPs are kind of hard to monetize. At least that's the case right now. Maybe that'll be the next big thing.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

TheMcD posted:

I can not for the life of me figure out how the gently caress I'm supposed to watch all that stuff - I've got other poo poo to do too, you know!

You're not. You're not the target audience.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

There was a german guy, John Zoidberg, who was doing a fairly entertaining blind run of Daggerfall. Good, silly humour, and he wasn't an annoying prick about it. Then he stopped. That was 2 years ago. He said he was going to make more, but went on to another LP. However, the last video uploaded to his channel was over a year ago, with no mention of what he's doing now whatsoever.

Guys, I think he died :ohdear:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Dias posted:

Man, I can't really recall a period in my life where I didn't have less to do in general than I do now and at the same time had access to the Internet. Now I feel old, and I shouldn't, because I'm not.

This cult of personality LPing movement where it's all about one LPer and that's it is starting to really rub me the wrong way.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Dias posted:

For a long time there have been great and powerful industries built to exploit people with more money than sense. Now internet video creators are beginning to tap into an old but previously underrepresented market: those who have more time than sense.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Suspicious Dish posted:

I don't hate him (thinking he is not funny and is generally annoying despite being a nice person is not the same thing), I hate his dumb smug youtube icon. I can't pass judgment on his real face because I don't know what it looks like.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I don't hate him (thinking he is not funny and is generally annoying despite being a nice person is not the same thing), I hate his dumb smug youtube icon. I can't pass judgment on his real face because I don't know what it looks like.

Do you hate him now?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

TheMcD posted:

Man, I can't really recall a period in my life where I didn't have less to do in general than I do now and at the same time had access to the Internet. Now I feel old, and I shouldn't, because I'm not.

This cult of personality LPing movement where it's all about one LPer and that's it is starting to really rub me the wrong way.

Yeah, it's silly, but it's exactly my point - those guys make videos for their fans. While free time/age is definitely a factor, the people that watch their LPs probably follow them and one or two other guys tops. So more content is good, because their fanbase has time to watch it. Plus, drat, you watch a lot of poo poo.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

For a long time there have been great and powerful industries built to exploit people with more money than sense. Now internet video creators are beginning to tap into an old but previously underrepresented market: those who have more time than sense.

I wouldn't even say that. See my previous point - if you follow two guys with four 30min videos a day, that's 4h of content. It sounds like a lot, but that's two hour-long series plus a soccer match. Then you take into account the fact that those LPers have a young fanbase...

It's just a different choice of trash entertainment, really. Although I suppose that makes you right in a sense.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Take a deep breath. In. Out. In. Out. Learn to accept others for who they are, and not who you wish they would be. In. Out. In. Out.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

YES

In all actuality though, I couldn't really give a poo poo. BUT, have any of you noticed how most of the LPers that have their fans do a DeviantArt avatar for them,....look almost NOTHING like the avatar? I mean, you can tell it's SUPPOSED to be them, but then the cartoon picture is this trim individual, almost always with properly trimmed facial hair. Then you look at the real deal, and they weigh 200+ and have an unkempt neckbeard. Why don't they just MS Paint their head onto this body and call it a day.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

CJacobs posted:

But then again, I function on a schedule of "work on it whenever I'm not crippled by depression" when it comes to editing my LPs so I am probably not the best fit for talking about consistent video production.

He's just a streamer on delay, he's harmless.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Suspicious Dish posted:

There's nothing wrong with a little hate. It's a perfectly natural and reasonable emotion to feel, nothing to be ashamed of.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

CJacobs posted:

How can anyone hate Northernlion? He's so inoffensively Canadian. I mean I guess if all you're going on is "wtf he has a smug profile pic and uploads so much" then I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rannos22 posted:

He's so inoffensively Canadian.

The worst kind of Canadian. A stereotype. :canada:

• Locked thread