Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Then why the hell would he risk this? I mean, when people see Photoshop-filtered pictures, they tend to look for the originals, don't they? I mean, hell, people found the originals here in like five minutes.

It's gotta be a case of him hoping nobody's going to notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Mastermind posted:

Then why the hell would he risk this? I mean, when people see Photoshop-filtered pictures, they tend to look for the originals, don't they? I mean, hell, people found the originals here in like five minutes.

It's gotta be a case of him hoping nobody's going to notice.

Well, like Dagon helpfully posted earlier:

Someone noticed and now he's in a bind. (check the timestamp.)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Okay, so honest question here: how legal is taking non-public domain art and editing it to put in a paid product? Is this actually illegal or is it just "shady"?

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal, unless you're a pop artist, then you make millions by copying someone else's work. I think it's a pretty high up there ability in the Pop Artist prestige class, while GMS is just a level 1 Game Designer.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Someone noticed and now he's in a bind. (check the timestamp.)

Wow... If that is in response to the stolen images, I can't understand GMS's thinking. Just pull the images, apologize and get them replaced. But no, let's contact NBC Universal, cause they'll totally get back to you in a month so you can still make the deadline.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

It's entirely possible it's just one more step in his flailing attempts to build a vast TRANSMEDIA buzzword empire.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Plague of Hats posted:

It's entirely possible it's just one more step in his flailing attempts to build a vast TRANSMEDIA buzzword empire.

I'm sure media companies are chomping at the bit to get a piece of this valuable train wreck of a property. Didn't he also announce a tv show and other ridiculous daydream poo poo?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I'm sure media companies are chomping at the bit to get a piece of this valuable train wreck of a property. Didn't he also announce a tv show and other ridiculous daydream poo poo?

That's still on the schedule as far as I know. Just, he's got to get this RPG out to build heat!

EDIT: I think he actually did fulfill the short fiction anthology? Which, I mean, is built primarily of other people's work, so.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I hope someone gets inspired enough to go through the back catalogue of artwork now.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I hope someone gets inspired enough to go through the back catalogue of artwork now.

Isn't it mostly just photoshopped filters of backers? I love where some of backers demanded GMS not use their images in the book because of how bad everything looked.

I'm not a backer I just love following this because its hilarious

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I'm not a backer I just love following this because its hilarious

Same here, I only just found out about this glorious trainwreck today. :allears:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Also it's important to remember that this project started in the early days of Kickstarter with this before Lessons Were Learned™.

(Far West being one of the important examples.)

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm a bit perplexed that he made the art a backer-only update on Kickstarter, when he also posted the update for all to see on his Far West webzone.

EDIT: Oh, I guess one of the pics is still exclusive content. It's the best one, too.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Obviously we should stop being mean and try to help the man finish faster. "Fresco" filter a go go!

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Obviously we should stop being mean and try to help the man finish faster. "Fresco" filter a go go!

Ignoring the cheap filter, or the fact that those Shaolin monks that are supposed to be in an Old West setting are obviously wearing modern athletic shoes...

What the gently caress is with those hats? How do you fail basic image compositing that badly?

VVV Edit: I guess the jokes on me then. Although I guess it's just a testament to how bad the earlier official work was that I so readily believed it was genuine.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 24, 2014

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Paper Kaiju posted:

Ignoring the cheap filter, or the fact that those Shaolin monks in an old west setting are obviously wearing modern athletic shoes...

What the gently caress is with those hats? How do you fail basic image compositing that badly?

I think RBH made that image, just now, to mock Far West with.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

gnome7 posted:

I think RBH made that image, just now, to mock Far West with.

Yes. Just like this one!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Yes. Just like this one!

:golfclap:

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Rulebook Heavily posted:

"Fresco" filter a go go!

Drybrush and Posterize supremacy.

Maybe thats what all the delays are from! He has two use TWO filters.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Someone posted the original images on the Far West website asking da fuq.

GMS posted:

quote:

Did you license these or whats the deal?

Those were the reference photos that I based the drawings on, yes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"Drawings" he says.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Plague of Hats posted:

Someone posted the original images on the Far West website asking da fuq.

Those were the reference photos that I based the drawings on, yes.

Bull. poo poo.

The weird gap between the dude and the pants, and the 1:1 match on the silhouette say he's a liar.

Seriously, though, that post just added 2 months to the release date, so great job, goons.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

Luke Walker about 1 hour ago
@Kairam: Given its sourced from a photo of Dragon Lee, I would say that his head is the correct proportion :) http://i.imgur.com/gZMjwIU.jpg

quote:

Gareth-Michael Skarka about 1 hour ago
Luke -- yep. Any bobble-headedness can be laid firmly at the feet of Dragon Lee's mom, not me. :)

This man is loving shameless. I can't even believe this.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Let's be honest, the christmas thing wasn't set in stone.

Also, I only just now had it pointed out to me that the mess on notDragon notLee's chest is supposed to be a tattoo. Any guesses on where it's from?

Evil Mastermind posted:

This man is loving shameless. I can't even believe this.

Wow. Nice timing on those posts, too.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Also, I only just now had it pointed out to me that the mess on notDragon notLee's chest is supposed to be a tattoo. Any guesses on where it's from?

Or what it's even supposed to be? :v:

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like some kind of chinese dragon to me, you can see the head with its jaw open in the lower left. Barely.

e: The real question is how readily people will let him get away with it or just shrug. The industry has lowered its standards below even this.

Rulebook Heavily fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 24, 2014

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I really shouldn't have been surprised by how much worse he can somehow make this.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Zoomed in to see the dragon, when I notice...

Tracing so good it doesn't even use the erase tool on the edges of the belt.

Edit:

quote:

Ah, yes -- I see that this is the result of an RPGnet head-hunt.

Since I'm not allowed to defend myself there, I'll point out a few things here: One, I'm quite aware of the transformative requirements for creating artwork from existing imagery. Two, the above images are NOT the result of "simply applying Photoshop filters" -- they were done, by hand, using a digital pen and a Yiynova MPS19U pen tablet monitor, using the same process that has always applied to Far West art from the beginning, whether done by me, or by Rick Hershey -- create digital collages from multiple sources, then use those as the reference photo for a hand-drawn digital work. If you'd like I can give you the brush settings, etc. Or, perhaps after I get the book out the door, I'll post a process video to youtube.

I suspect that none of this will matter to the folks in the RPGnet thread, but I needed to say it anyway.

Dagon fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 24, 2014

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Zurui posted:

Jeeesus. How did you not just give up on this? I guess I've only backed Kickstarters where the game work is effectively done and they're just waiting on printing/fabrication.

I forgot now how long ago it was that I sent 20 bucks to the Tales from the Floating Vagabond guy. Forgetting about it in the months between sad little updates makes it pretty easy.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, this is the guy who screwed everyone out of their Icons Team-Up preorders by only giving them Adamant credit instead of their deposits back when he couldn't print the books. Oh, and told people not to get all "RPGNet angry" about it.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dagon posted:

Zoomed in to see the dragon, when I notice...

Tracing so good it doesn't even use the erase tool on the edges of the belt.

Edit:

Good loving lord, someone throw this into Mr. Reference Photo's face right now. That is almost as shameful as my parody.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

If it's good enough for Greg Land, it's good enough for GMS.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In not stealing land, there is the Fallen Frontiers kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/298260359/fallen-frontiers-reboot

Tabletop game with decent minis, and the alpha rules are a free PDF. The female heroes are armored boobs-and-butt posed, but the troopers look pretty darn nice so far. Not cheap, but I think the basic box is meant to be split between 2 people (as you get 2 armies).

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Anyone remember when GMS all but accused Fred Hicks of fraud because people were praising Evil Hat's transparency policy? That was some hilarious poo poo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It wasn't so much accusing Hicks of fraud as it was calling anyone who believed that his good customer service was anything other than a ploy to get more of their nerdbucks an idiot.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I don't understand how he got as far as he did in the industry with his attitudes. Also reading MalcolmShepherd defend GMS on Gau's blog is hilarious.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Hey that kickstarter might wind up being good, but it is also a minis-based with confusing pledge tiers, boob-plate and roll-to-hit mechanics, effectively making it hit Bad Kickstarter Bingo without even going through their updates.

LordAba posted:

In not stealing land, there is the Fallen Frontiers kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/298260359/fallen-frontiers-reboot

Tabletop game with decent minis, and the alpha rules are a free PDF. The female heroes are armored boobs-and-butt posed, but the troopers look pretty darn nice so far. Not cheap, but I think the basic box is meant to be split between 2 people (as you get 2 armies).

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I really need to stop pledging for Miniature based kick starters. I've got Shadows of Brimstone sitting here on my workbench, and I've only completed assembling a small fraction of it. I made the mistake of pledging for Dungeon Saga a few months back, and thinking of how many unfinished miniatures thats going to be makes my head hurt.

What sort of options are there for like, reselling KS pledges? I've heard of people who basically do it and then turn around and sell it by changing the shipping address in their pledge managers. I'm just wondering if theres any relatively safe way to do it or if I'm better off just waiting around and putting the actual copy up on ebay once it arrives.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I really need to stop pledging for Miniature based kick starters. I've got Shadows of Brimstone sitting here on my workbench, and I've only completed assembling a small fraction of it. I made the mistake of pledging for Dungeon Saga a few months back, and thinking of how many unfinished miniatures thats going to be makes my head hurt.

What sort of options are there for like, reselling KS pledges? I've heard of people who basically do it and then turn around and sell it by changing the shipping address in their pledge managers. I'm just wondering if theres any relatively safe way to do it or if I'm better off just waiting around and putting the actual copy up on ebay once it arrives.

I've sold a few Kickstarters on BGG after they arrived, but you can maybe trawl their forums (ugh) if you want your money sooner. It's usually a really good return if you wait, though, depending on how much KS exclusive poo poo came with it and scarcity of the game after its KS release. I'm guessing minis KS's would do really well, doubly so if there's good (and possibly unwarranted) hype about the game on BGG. I'd love to sell my copy of Tiny Epic Kingdoms if it didn't have such a small footprint on my shelf.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Sorry to continue making GBS threads up the thread with Far West, but I had to:

I had to stretch the original slightly to make it fit, but come on.

If he's really freehand tracing poo poo so faithfully, no loving wonder it's taking forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Might as well see if anyone wants a crack at identifying this one now that Hats has disturbed the peace.

• Locked thread