Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Naet posted:

I have a hard time believing that a college education means much to voters considering how anti-intellectual we are as a society.

We're not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Joementum posted:

His highest degree is a BA in Latin American Studies from UT Austin.

I had to look up if this was a cocaine joke. I mean, for all we know it is, but it doubles as fact.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dr. Tough posted:

Jeb's a University of Texas grad

The truth is, Dubya was the toniest and most intellectually gifted of the brothers.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Bear in mind that I'm not saying we're a dumb or uneducated society, but there's certainly a wave of distrust for 'experts' and academic knowledge. Ivy League degrees can convey a sense of elite status, which some people do like in a potential presidential candidate, but that's a cultural or economic identity and not necessarily an intellectual identity.

It's another way to attack or defend a candidate, but I would say it's largely meaningless in most cases. If you come across as a total dummy and you don't have a college education, then, yes, that will probably play. But a 'successful politician' like Walker (who has other issues, certainly) isn't going to lose because he doesn't have letters after his name.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dr. Tough posted:

While it's certainly true that the several most recent presidents had Ivy League educations, I highly doubt that if you were to go out on the street and ask people "what kind of education should a president have?" the answer would be "Ivy League law school"

Why? I mean, Ivy League schools at least have a reputation of being the best schools. And law school at least has the reputation of being the best thing for a politician to know.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Why? I mean, Ivy League schools at least have a reputation of being the best schools. And law school at least has the reputation of being the best thing for a politician to know.

Now this is just my personal opinion, but I just don't think that your average Joe on the street thinks that way. I would even go so far as to think that they might even be distrustful of so called elite schools considering they pump out the kind of people and personalities that your average person blames for what's wrong with the country.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Doesn't ring a bell.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

I think Ted Cruz is the only potential Republican Presidential candidate who went to an Ivy, unless I'm missing someone.

Does Dartmoth count?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Does Dartmoth count?

Why wouldn't it? Also Rauner got his MBA from Harvard, so the barrier to him is that he's not running.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

My Imaginary GF posted:

Does Dartmoth count?

Yes, of course, though Rauner also went to HBS, so he'd be a double Ivy.

Not that it matters because he's not a potential Republican Presidential candidate.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Naet posted:

Bear in mind that I'm not saying we're a dumb or uneducated society, but there's certainly a wave of distrust for 'experts' and academic knowledge. Ivy League degrees can convey a sense of elite status, which some people do like in a potential presidential candidate, but that's a cultural or economic identity and not necessarily an intellectual identity.

It's another way to attack or defend a candidate, but I would say it's largely meaningless in most cases. If you come across as a total dummy and you don't have a college education, then, yes, that will probably play. But a 'successful politician' like Walker (who has other issues, certainly) isn't going to lose because he doesn't have letters after his name.

It's a lot of right wing bullshit, generally. College professors and the college educated have a tendency to vote left. The right says to distrust them greatly of course so there is this rallying cry of "detached liberal elites" and "ivory tower intellectuals with no common sense." It isn't that America is anti-intellectual so much as the right uses high educational achievement as a bad thing only when it is a liberal that is educated. You see this a lot in the environmental debate when you hear about stuff like "stupid scientists, what do they know?" The right is, of course, generally old and white and most people attending college is a very, very new thing. 40, 50, 60 years ago when the current majority of right wing voters (I'm thinking old, white folks) were young not everybody even graduated high school. Now we're ushering everybody off to college so the right is screaming liberal indoctrination.

Which is why we've seen Republicans running on "I'm a stupid, white farmer from the hills, just like you!" platforms and succeeding. The view is that if you go to college and get more education that's less real world experience so that means less common sense. Ignore facts and information; trust what your gut tells you.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ToxicSlurpee posted:

College professors and the college educated have a tendency to vote left.

People with bachelors degrees tend to be more Republican than Democratic, while people with advanced degrees are more Democratic than Republican.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The DNC has narrowed the list of cities for the convention to Columbus, New York, and Philadelphia. They have also narrowed the dates for the convention to the weeks of July 18, July 25, and August 22, following the RNC's lead on having an earlier convention, which is a great idea.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

The DNC has narrowed the list of cities for the convention to Columbus, New York, and Philadelphia. They have also narrowed the dates for the convention to the weeks of July 18, July 25, and August 22, following the RNC's lead on having an earlier convention, which is a great idea.

Philadelphia, July 18th.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Joementum posted:

Does the convention city have a chance to help a party anymore or only hurt?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

It has almost no effect at all. The 2012 DNC took place in North Carolina where Obama ended up losing, and the RNC was in Florida which went for Obama. There's been several conventions in cities on both sides where the state is so blue/red it wouldn't matter. I think 2004's RNC was in New York and the DNC was in Boston, both solid blue states for POTUS that might sometimes elect Republicans to the US Senate or state-wide office.

And because the national conventions are losing some federal money for security, conventions will be much more decided on which city will toss the most money at them rather than stuff about the electoral benefits. Think of it as like the Nerd Superbowl, because that's what it is.

Which is why I'm surprised Indianapolis isn't in the running for either because man, we love burning huge piles of money for the NFL so why can't we do the same for political nerds.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

notthegoatseguy posted:

It has almost no effect at all. The 2012 DNC took place in North Carolina where Obama ended up losing, and the RNC was in Florida which went for Obama. There's been several conventions in cities on both sides where the state is so blue/red it wouldn't matter. I think 2004's RNC was in New York and the DNC was in Boston, both solid blue states for POTUS that might sometimes elect Republicans to the US Senate or state-wide office.

And because the national conventions are losing some federal money for security, conventions will be much more decided on which city will toss the most money at them rather than stuff about the electoral benefits. Think of it as like the Nerd Superbowl, because that's what it is.

Which is why I'm surprised Indianapolis isn't in the running for either because man, we love burning huge piles of money for the NFL so why can't we do the same for political nerds.

Conventions aren't about winning a state, they're about ethics in political finance.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dr. Tough posted:

Now this is just my personal opinion, but I just don't think that your average Joe on the street thinks that way. I would even go so far as to think that they might even be distrustful of so called elite schools considering they pump out the kind of people and personalities that your average person blames for what's wrong with the country.

"Ivy League" has name recognition, alongside a few non-Ivies like MIT. Most other colleges are primarily known for sports programs or simply because they're the best in your home state, but "Harvard" and "Princeton" and "Yale" etc are certainly schools with a very high reputation.

People sure don't act like they distrust people who go to those schools when they go to the polls.

Trabisnikof posted:

I remember the Philadelphia GOP convention in 2000. Bush lost PA 46.43% to 50.6% that year.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

"Ivy League" has name recognition, alongside a few non-Ivies like MIT. Most other colleges are primarily known for sports programs or simply because they're the best in your home state, but "Harvard" and "Princeton" and "Yale" etc are certainly schools with a very high reputation.

People sure don't act like they distrust people who go to those schools when they go to the polls.

I think it can certainly be used against a candidate if they don't poll well. Maybe not specifically Ivy League, but of being aloof and not able to relate to people. Which you can certainly manage to do without an Ivy League education too. Just think of that professor you had in college that INSISTED on being called Doctor because he had a PhD. How well do you think he'd poll in a political race?

Of course most people who make it to the level of being nominated by a major political party for POTUS don't have that challenge. But it can certainly happen in US House, Senate, and state level races.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Sam Francisco has a new mayor: a dog named Frida. Frida is a 9 1/2 year old 6 lb part chihuahua mutt mix, and won the position as the result of her person winning a charity auction. She will receive a pension, which draws from donations by local businesses. The current and past city managers have no comment about her sudden rise to power, and the Frida administration has no comment on the reported cat internment camps being erected around the city.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Fried Chicken posted:

Sam Francisco has a new mayor: a dog named Frida. Frida is a 9 1/2 year old 6 lb part chihuahua mutt mix, and won the position as the result of her person winning a charity auction. She will receive a pension, which draws from donations by local businesses. The current and past city managers have no comment about her sudden rise to power, and the Frida administration has no comment on the reported cat internment camps being erected around the city.

I would rather we just start replacing politicians with dogs (and the Supreme Court, as John Oliver demonstrated).

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Keep in mind that San Francisco is also the city that declared the Emperor of America who then spent his time making proclamations in favor of human rights and shut down a good chunk of the down town so a sick child could be Batman. They have an odd but pleasant sense of humor there

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Wow I meant to post those in the general us politics thread. Whoops

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think it can certainly be used against a candidate if they don't poll well. Maybe not specifically Ivy League, but of being aloof and not able to relate to people. Which you can certainly manage to do without an Ivy League education too. Just think of that professor you had in college that INSISTED on being called Doctor because he had a PhD. How well do you think he'd poll in a political race?

Of course most people who make it to the level of being nominated by a major political party for POTUS don't have that challenge. But it can certainly happen in US House, Senate, and state level races.

I think your thought exercise is somewhat valid. The information I read said that voters respond on surveys that they don't care where candidates go to college. However our presidents largely come from Harvard or Yale. Whether that is a divide between respondent answers/behavior, or simply a quirk of the political system that gets a person to be a presidential candidate is a good question.

edit: I would like to eventually be a public servant, but my undergrad and graduate institutions are both public. Therefore I'm doooooomed~~

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fried Chicken posted:

Wow I meant to post those in the general us politics thread. Whoops

I'm excited about Frida's national election prospects nonetheless, though by the time she can run she might be a bit old, 9 1/2 is no spring chicken. I mean, this is assuming the Supreme Court rules that dog years count for constitutional eligibility...

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

notthegoatseguy posted:

It's simply not going to be a workable anti-candidate thing unless the candidate's already doing like poo poo. Most instances of elections where "so and so is an educated snob" came up and actually worked, said candidate tended to have gone to generic private college or generic state college, rather than a big time school.

You have to also remember that the actual result of graduating Yale et al isn't so much the education as the fact that your classmates tend to also be pretty big in politics or the sons/daughters of people who are. You get the connections, you get the funding sources, you get the ability to call in favors- all things that more than offset Jimmy the Redneck's hatred of learned folks or whatever

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
That's basically right: compare how Bush's personality played versus how Kerry's played and then remember that they were both Bonesmen.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
There's a non-zero chance that Scott Brown is the Republican nominee and Professor Warren is the Democratic nominee.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Joementum posted:

There's a non-zero chance that Scott Brown is the Republican nominee and Professor Warren is the Democratic nominee.

Scott Brown wouldn't run for President with 2 years Senate experience. At least Obama in 2008 was still in office and had some popularity in the party.

For the next few years, Brown will probably go from state to state trying for any statewide office anywhere. Doing bqhatevwr it takes.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 24, 2014

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."
Just imagine Scott Brown, dejectedly walking along the highway in the pouring rain, attempting to thumb it with no success. Sad piano music plays.

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!

William Bear posted:

Scott Brown wouldn't run

I think I've found your mistake.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I find Brown a more credible candidate than Warren, not sure why people think she'd run, let alone get the nomination, let alone win the general.

Anyway, I think the Democrats would have to be stupid to pick NYC. There's just too much potential for poo poo to go horribly wrong there. Philly and Columbus are both fine choices. Though NYC could have the added bonus of seeing how many pissed off people there are in the crowd if Clinton isn't picked.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

I'm excited about Frida's national election prospects nonetheless, though by the time she can run she might be a bit old, 9 1/2 is no spring chicken. I mean, this is assuming the Supreme Court rules that dog years count for constitutional eligibility...

There's nothing in the constitution that says a dog can't be president.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Fulchrum posted:

I'm going to nominate my dog for a cabinet position.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fulchrum posted:

If you've got a 35 year old dog, congrats!

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Joementum posted:

Dog years?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Nameless_Steve posted:

Just imagine Scott Brown, dejectedly walking along the highway in the pouring rain, attempting to thumb it with no success. Sad piano music plays.

Scott Brown pulls his pickup onto the shoulder with a flat tire. Sighing, he gets out to inspect it.

Embedded in the tread is a fake arrowhead.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Boy, is that ever an opening for an OnionBiden joke if I ever saw one

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Where's the birth certificate :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Chokes McGee posted:

Where's the birth certificate :mad:

He's a purebred so I'm sure its around somewhere.

• Locked thread