Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

hiddenriverninja posted:

how spoilery are these?

I'm still midway the second one but so far nothing too spoilery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Flesh Forge posted:

But the problem is even vs ordinary materials, when Barry punches them at super speed his hands are going to break unless he learns some rubber science technique as he did in that episode. This is why high divers have to learn to hit the water at a precise angle so they don't break their poo poo, because in a really high speed impact water behaves more like a hard surface.

I think its safe to assume this is one of those things where a superhero technically has several powers so they aren't killed by using their primary powers. So Barry is immune to friction and can still breathe while running at absurd speeds etc, its just how the universe works.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
The real answer to everything Flash is the Speedforce.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Pwnstar posted:

I think its safe to assume this is one of those things where a superhero technically has several powers so they aren't killed by using their primary powers. So Barry is immune to friction and can still breathe while running at absurd speeds etc, its just how the universe works.

Yeah except that, y'know, the entire point of that episode is him learning that trick, whatever the "real" answer is.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Deadpool posted:

Jesse L. Martin is probably the best actor employed by the CW network right now so that's no surprise at all.

Victor Garber?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's that geezer done for us lately?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Now, duh, but Berlanti said that Gotham and Metropolis (and Batman and Superman) are off-limits.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

Now, duh, but Berlanti said that Gotham and Metropolis (and Batman and Superman) are off-limits.

Which is fine, because I'm not sure I could take Kal or Bruce or Lex pining over a woman for whatever reason like the main characters of Arrow or Flash.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uh if you don't like relationship drama you may not like superhero shows. If this show was exactly the same except about Superman I swear most of yall would be bitching about Lois Lane.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Drifter posted:

Which is fine, because I'm not sure I could take ... Bruce ... pining over a woman for whatever reason like the main characters of Arrow or Flash.

I take it you didn't enjoy at least two of the last 3 Batman movies.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

zoux posted:

Uh if you don't like relationship drama you may not like superhero shows. If this show was exactly the same except about Superman I swear most of yall would be bitching about Lois Lane.

From what I hear, the bitching was all about Lana Lang.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

From what I hear, the bitching was all about Lana Lang.

Bitching about Smallville makes sense; bitching about girlfriend drama in superhero media and then holding up the superhero who has the most iconic relationship in all of comics is absurd.

The other show about him was called Lois and Clark for christsakes.

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 24, 2014

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

zoux posted:

Bitching about Smallville makes sense; bitching about girlfriend drama in superhero media and then holding up the superhero who has the most iconic relationship in all of comics is absurd.

The other show about him was called Lois and Clark for christsakes.

Yeah, it says a a lot about the show priorities when they don't give loving Superman top billing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - I don't remember if Lois and Clark came before or after Hercules, but I had fun watching it in Highschool. Hercules was better though. RIP Kevin Sorbo's career. :(

computer parts posted:

I take it you didn't enjoy at least two of the last 3 Batman movies.

I didn't really enjoy Rises at all, no.

There's also a difference between relationship development and the weird drama we have gotten. Arrow and Flash relationship stuff is YA-tween drama more than an interesting and healthy adult relationship progression.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 24, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I hope no part of this show ever approaches the joyless slog that Dark Knight Rises was.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Drifter posted:

I didn't really enjoy Rises at all, no.

There's also a difference between relationship development and the weird drama we have gotten. Arrow and Flash relationship stuff is YA-tween drama more than an interesting and healthy adult relationship progression.

All of Bruce's relationships in Begins and TDK were YA-tween drama (because he was emotionally a child).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

computer parts posted:

All of Bruce's relationships in Begins and TDK were YA-tween drama (because he was emotionally a child).

and? I was never comparing batmans to these. I never even brought the batmans up. Those are years old.

I was simply stating a fact of the direction Arrow and Flash have taken with their main char relatioships, and wouldn't want to see even other bigjob characters go down that path. They really broke a mold with Routh - good on them for that.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 25, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Drifter posted:

and? I was never comparing batmans to these.

You said you hoped that Bruce would never pine after a girl in that way. He already has, and you didn't even notice.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I think I'd really like Routh's Ray Palmer to have his own show. :allears:

e: Imagine the emotional tug of war for Felicity's love between Arrow, Flash and the Atom come on dudes that poo poo would be rad

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

computer parts posted:

You said you hoped that Bruce would never pine after a girl in that way. He already has, and you didn't even notice.

You're aware the TV and movie universes are not going to combine, right? You're literally comparing apples to oranges. Or just being stupid.

I just don't think you understood the context the discussion was held in.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Flesh Forge posted:

I think I'd really like Routh's Ray Palmer to have his own show. :allears:

Only if they basically make it a tiny conan the barbarian show.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They did say that Nightwing wasn't off limits, so I'm not sure how they would explain that clusterfuck.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

GreenNight posted:

They did say that Nightwing wasn't off limits, so I'm not sure how they would explain that clusterfuck.

Nightwing operates mainly out of Bludhaven, which I believe has been mentioned in the show already. They could skip over the Batman connection and just have him be a vigilante from another city. Hell, I'm sure they would drop some stuff like about the place being full of bats or jokers just for the winks.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Burning_Monk posted:

Nightwing operates mainly out of Bludhaven, which I believe has been mentioned in the show already. They could skip over the Batman connection and just have him be a vigilante from another city. Hell, I'm sure they would drop some stuff like about the place being full of bats or jokers just for the winks.

Yeah, Bludhaven is pretty close to Starling City. I think introducing him as Bludhaven's Arrow or Flash and ignoring Batman altogether would work, especially for people unfamiliar with the character.

Though I suppose if Nightwing is canonically Dick Grayson the way Green Arrow is Oliver Queen, some people will make the connection that he used to be Robin?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Is Batman forbidden from appearing or from being acknowledged at all?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

Back in season 1 the producers said they'd love to bring Batman in somehow but with Gotham it just ain't gonna happen now.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Phylodox posted:

They acknowledged Wayne Enterprises, so who knows?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Phylodox posted:

That's what we've been discussing. No Batman, no Superman

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Some Numbers posted:

That's what we've been discussing. No Batman, no Superman

Yeah, I know, but that leaves miles of wiggle room for thinks like clever allusions and sly winks. They could acknowledge that Batman trained Dick without ever explicitly naming him or Gotham.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, I know, but that leaves miles of wiggle room for thinks like clever allusions and sly winks. They could acknowledge that Batman trained Dick without ever explicitly naming him or Gotham.

"They guy who trained me? He was freaking bats, if you know what I mean. *wink*WINK*WINK*"

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Phylodox posted:

"Lemme guess, millionaire playboy turned vigilante like me?"
"Actually that was my mentor."

Really though the rule is stupid and inconsistent, at most working if you argue that WB is trying to keep the image of the films locked in as the 'proper' versions of the characters. So younger selves in tv shows 'don't count', and nor do cartoons or video games, whatever amount of influence they might have in popular perceptions of characters.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phylodox posted:

I think the biggest sly wink we'll get is mentioning Bludhaven, which is sorta-not-really a Batman place.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I think the biggest sly wink we'll get is mentioning Bludhaven, which is sorta-not-really a Batman place.

Nightwing, Protector of Bludhavening City

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Been there, done that. Bludhaven's mentioned at least twice in Arrow.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I thought the producers didn't want to bring in Batman because no one should really outclass Ollie.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Bludhaven is wear they were holding rich black stepdad.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Some Numbers posted:

Been there, done that. Bludhaven's mentioned at least twice in Arrow.
Yes.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mooseontheloose posted:

I thought the producers didn't want to bring in Batman because no one should really outclass Ollie.

I think they could introduce the idea of a guy who outclasses Ollie without having him outclass Ollie onscreen. I mean...it would be really smart of them, if they're going to introduce Nightwing, to kind of leave the door open for Batman just in case something changes in the future.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Burning_Monk posted:

"There's a vigilante nearby in Bludhaven. He's hitting people with sticks."

meanwhile in Bludhaven...
"Captain, this is the fourth stick related death the city's had this past week. We've gotta catch this guy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
I could see Nightwing as a driving force for Roy getting to be more independent. In the vein of, "I was once the sidekick..."

• Locked thread