Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kly posted:

Wait, so do the amiibos NOT play any better than lvl9 CPUs? Do they just get buffed stats or what?

They record what you do basically and try to mimic your playstyle. As mentioned if you use forward smash a lot they'll start doing a LOT of forward smashes. If you try to meteor spike them they'll try to do that as well. In the later levels and beyond they're basically doing 1:1 fights with you if you trained them right and they continue trying to learn strats as time goes on.

People have already found that you can train them to CD farm by showing them how to throw master balls and run for CD's and Trophies. They're a lot more flexible then set lvl 9's but if you teach them poorly they'll probably get their faces shoved in by harder CPU's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The shield and throw buttons on the Pro Controller being "switched" from where they were on the GC controller was driving me nuts, so I switched them in the controls and turned off that damnable "Up on left stick to jump" thing and now everything's cool.

I cannot even estimate how long the batteries last on the Pro controller, my god.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Monkey Fracas posted:

The shield and throw buttons on the Pro Controller being "switched" from where they were on the GC controller was driving me nuts, so I switched them in the controls and turned off that damnable "Up on left stick to jump" thing and now everything's cool.

I cannot even estimate how long the batteries last on the Pro controller, my god.

Anyone not playing with a gamecube controller should do this. Oh my god it feels so much nicer than the default.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Monkey Fracas posted:

It is said to be 80+ hours per charge.

I played at a friend's place last saturday (8-player smash is insaaaaaaaaaane, but everyone was kinda serious about it so we most played Big Battle Field rather than the fun dumb stages) and I can't wait to pick it up during the week. That said, I got used to Smash 3DS having shield in the right trigger and grab in the left one and switched my setting to that.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That said, I got used to Smash 3DS having shield in the right trigger and grab in the left one and switched my setting to that.

I got too annoyed at switching names around, so I just play with the default controls, but I use my right hand to shield and my left hand to grab like the 3DS version. The positioning of the sticks actually helps with this contortion.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Uh the trophy display feature is messed up in a few places.

Adam is placed in the "Other M" section and not the next one over called "The Other M Threat".

Also I'm assuming there's no Big the Cat trophy as the "Sonic's Dumb Friends" box is already full.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

This has probably been addressed before, but...

davey4283 posted:

Custom Moves:

Dashing Assault (Marth):
Clear the "The Falchion's Seal" event on normal difficulty or higher. (From the first event, go up)

The bolded/underlined part of this is wrong. How do I get to the "The Falchion's Seal" Event?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I caved and got two Amiibos today. Samus and Wii Fit Trainer

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Is there a goon community for smash, or are we just using NNIDs?

My NNID is Krono89. Please friend me so I can smash your faces in we can have fun times!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
NNID: WindyMan

I got an amiibo with the game, and a GC adapter later that day. (There were like, 20 on the shelf? What shortage?) I can understand the gripe some people may have with amiibo functionality being limited, but of course they would be this early on. I think it's a neat, secondary addition. All I know is that I've been saying/writing about for years that if Smash Bros. cost $100, I'd still buy it because it would be completely and justifiably worth it.

Smash = $60
Adapter = $20
Link amiibo = $13

Total = $93

What a deal.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

WindyMan posted:

I got an amiibo with the game, and a GC adapter later that day. (There were like, 20 on the shelf? What shortage?) I can understand the gripe some people may have with amiibo functionality being limited, but of course they would be this early on. I think it's a neat, secondary addition. All I know is that I've been saying/writing about for years that if Smash Bros. cost $100, I'd still buy it because it would be completely and justifiably worth it.

Smash = $60
Adapter = $20
Link amiibo = $13

Total = $93

What a deal.

I bought the $100 smash bundle, totally worth it. With the new GC controller, I didn't realize how torn up my old ones were. A new GC controller feels great!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Somebody please explain to me the logic of having Din's Fire make Zelda go into helpless fall, but Sheik can still Up B after using her Side B no problem.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

WindyMan posted:

Smash = $60
Adapter = $20
Link amiibo = $13

Total = $93

What a deal.

I've plunked down over 100 bucks on Smash 4 since I also bought an amiibo and the 3DS version and I have no real regrets. Smash 4 Is Good.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

This has probably been addressed before, but...

The bolded/underlined part of this is wrong. How do I get to the "The Falchion's Seal" Event?

It's the one near the top left with Chrom and the giant Charizard. You do need to take the top path to get there, so it's something of a half-truth.

Truxton fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 25, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Wow, that's a lot of events. I didn't think there would be so many.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

RyokoTK posted:

Wow, that's a lot of events. I didn't think there would be so many.

Don't forget there's a whole other set of co-op events too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They're all bad.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

WindyMan posted:

Smash = $60
Adapter = $20
Link amiibo = $13

Total = $93

What a deal.

If I were you I'd go back and buy all of the GameCube adapters because they're going for $50 to $90 on eBay each.

Rhycool
Jul 15, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Just throwing this out there

But

We should probably have a tournament for this thing or something???

I'd love to get one started, personally. Curious to see if I have any skill, or if I'm just a roll-spamming fraud.

Hell, holding various tournaments would be dope, if the tourney-maker-thing for this game doesn't turn out awful.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
I'm down for a tournament. Can someone stream?

This thing's handy for organizing brackets: http://challonge.com/

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

When's that in-game tourney maker coming out?

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012
So I guess the only way to play stock matches online is with friends or ranked? No for fun stock matches?

Either way, NNID: Rhygezenguro

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!
Sorry whichever random goons I was just playing with, didn't realise I was host so didn't mean to drop the game when I left!

Fun games.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

TheComicFiend posted:

I could. Certified for 720p 60fps.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!
I can, too. Not as high quality, of course, but I am certainly capable. I'm down for a tournament either way.

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.

TheComicFiend posted:

I also have streaming capabilities, 720p 60FPS

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Despite my earlier whining about my Samus amiibo, I ended up getting drunk, buying a Mario one, and ordering a Link through Amazon. :sigh:

The thing is, Samus must have garbage AI or something, because my Mario is now in the low 40s and I cannot beat him. I can't hardly touch him. It's mind blowing. He spot dodges every attack I throw at him and then hits me with a combo for like 60 damage. :psyduck:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=939097

Do you still feel comfortable playing this game, now that your eyes have so clearly been opened?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Ometeotl posted:

Do you still feel comfortable playing this game, now that your eyes have so clearly been opened?

Bald Bull is considered black? :raise:

(disclaimer: possibly an idiot)

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

I bought a Link Amiibo today. I've been training it on and off all evening and I gotta say it's been pretty fun. It's getting harder to kill but so far I've won most of the matches. I was kinda on the fence about the whole Amiibo thing, but I am definitely amused by what I've experienced as of today.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

what is the trick to becoming halfway competent at doing tilts vs shames at my own desire and not just picking a direction and hoping for the best

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Beef Waifu posted:

They're all bad.

Excuse me but I'll have you know that the event where you play as ROB and fight a giant metal ROB with Jergingha Planet Destruction Form as the BGM is the single best event in Smash Bros. history.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So apparently a Fox amiibo took third place at a recent Smash tournament http://kotaku.com/amiibo-nearly-wins-smash-bros-tournament-1662901112

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ok, so I just got this, and I need to know

Am I just rusty, or is it a lot harder to combo? I'm trying to combo throw people in the air & up smash, but I can't seem to even make the hits connect.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Eonwe posted:

ok, so I just got this, and I need to know

Am I just rusty, or is it a lot harder to combo? I'm trying to combo throw people in the air & up smash, but I can't seem to even make the hits connect.

Throws are generally stronger, which makes them a little better for kills but quite a lot worse for following up into combos.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Ometeotl posted:

I think everyone can agree that not putting Doc Louis in as a modified Wario clone was a missed opportunity.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The online is so good in this! I was able to play all afternoon with my brother in another time zone. And every now and then a random goon I added at some point would pop in for a few matches. It was really great and aside from one guy with an utterly abysmal connection, we had no lag problems. Astoundingly different from trying to play Brawl's awful online back in the day.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Got this, liking it better than the 3DS version. My NNID is Oxxi I think, add if you like.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb3N01lm6P8

Also yeah Challonge owns for doing tournaments, the Imp Zone one ran pretty well, all things considered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Got this, liking it better than the 3DS version. My NNID is Oxxi I think, add if you like.

It's actually Oxxidation that people need to put in to find you, Oxxi is just the nickname.

• Locked thread