Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Malloreon posted:

also if you listen to podcasts a good amount, the $5 upgrade on overcast is a STEAL. Smart Speed has currently saved me an additional 43+ hours since overcast's release.

Hm. I've been using Downcast for a long while, but I might give this a go. I listen to a ton of podcasts, so this might help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Teddybear posted:

Hm. I've been using Downcast for a long while, but I might give this a go. I listen to a ton of podcasts, so this might help.

Smart Speed is a revelation. It works by preprocessing the audio file, finding where the silences are, and removing them.

I already listen to my podcasts at true 2x speed (I say true because the apple podcast app lies, 2x speed there is actually 1.67x) and turning on smart speed boosts that up to 2.4-2.9x without making it any tougher to understand.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Think I'll hold fire on BeWeather - hoping it might be in the Black Friday sale.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Anyone get Weather or Not. Looks pretty

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

maduin posted:

Overcast free version is pretty good for someone who casually listens to podcasts.

Looks great but yeah, 8.0 minimum. Any other suggestions for a super simple podcast app for 6.1.6? That's the latest iOS for iPhone 3G

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Bouchacha posted:

What's the fisher price app for podcasts? My mom is stuck on 6.1.6 and can't use the stock apple app. I'd like the simplest and most fool-proof method for her to start listening to podcasts.

Have you tried downloading the Apple podcast app anyway?

It's been my experience that it will give you a popup saying something to the effect of, "This version is not compatible with your iOS, do you want to download the last compatible version?"

I really like iCatcher, by the way. Not sure what version of iOS it demands, however.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

decypher posted:

Have you tried downloading the Apple podcast app anyway?

It's been my experience that it will give you a popup saying something to the effect of, "This version is not compatible with your iOS, do you want to download the last compatible version?"

I really like iCatcher, by the way. Not sure what version of iOS it demands, however.

For whatever reason the podcast app requires 7.1 and trying to subscribe through the iTunes app takes you to the podcast app page. Not sure why Apple left this gap, but at the same time my mom is in a ridiculously small demographic.

iCatcher looks great though, thanks!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
On IOS6 I was perfectly happy with listening to podcasts through the stock music player.

As for Overcast, (I know this doesn't help your mum but for anyone else) the latest version requires IOS8 but if you try to download it from an IOS7 device if will offer to let you use an older version which surprised me because of Arment's predilections.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

~Coxy posted:

On IOS6 I was perfectly happy with listening to podcasts through the stock music player.

As for Overcast, (I know this doesn't help your mum but for anyone else) the latest version requires IOS8 but if you try to download it from an IOS7 device if will offer to let you use an older version which surprised me because of Arment's predilections.

I thought the App Store still allowed you to download whatever version of an app that suits whatever version of iOS you are running

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Malloreon posted:

also if you listen to podcasts a good amount, the $5 upgrade on overcast is a STEAL. Smart Speed has currently saved me an additional 43+ hours since overcast's release.
I assume other apps can as well, but Apple's Podcasts app can play at more than 1x. The biggest drawback I see to not using Podcasts is a lack of sync ability with iTunes, since I like to archive especially good episodes.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Josh Lyman posted:

I assume other apps can as well, but Apple's Podcasts app can play at more than 1x. The biggest drawback I see to not using Podcasts is a lack of sync ability with iTunes, since I like to archive especially good episodes.

Smart Speed is not just "playing at more than 1x".

Overcast actually pre-processes the audio and cuts silences to speed up playback. This can be used in combination with faster playback speeds.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CaptainPsyko posted:

Smart Speed is not just "playing at more than 1x".

Overcast actually pre-processes the audio and cuts silences to speed up playback. This can be used in combination with faster playback speeds.
Hmm, that's pretty nice. But it's a $5 unlock. :negative: I'm not sure there are many long periods of dead air during the podcasts I listen to.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Josh Lyman posted:

Hmm, that's pretty nice. But it's a $5 unlock. :negative: I'm not sure there are many long periods of dead air during the podcasts I listen to.

I didn't think so either, but in two months, it's saved me 33 hours.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yes $5 is such a big gamble better ponder this one.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
It's not so much long pauses as little tiny gaps while someone is going to answer a question or is trying to think of a word. You can try it for free for five minutes at a time as often as you like to see if it's for you. Personally, I didn't like it because most of my podcasts are comedy ones where delivery and timing are important, but for stuff like tech blogs or news podcasts then I could see the appeal.

The volume boost for me is more of a big deal since my walking route goes past a main road and some of my favourite podcasts are recorded at a very low volume to begin with. Shame I still don't wanna switch from Pocket Casts!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Overcast is the best because it is orange. That Smart Speed is really good and useful is secondary to this. 53 hours saved!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I tested Smart Speed on my most listened-to podcast and it saved me 30 seconds during the 5 minute preview. That's a 10% savings!

It won't work for stuff like This American Life which always has music going in the background, but it might still be worth it.

Any idea whether it ever goes on sale? It's a matter of principle. :colbert:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Josh Lyman posted:

It's $5 and (whatever your opinion of him) Marco Arment makes well supported, quality apps... and again, it's $5

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Marco Arment is a bitch.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

In addition, Overcast's 2X speed is true 2X. Apple Podcast's 2X speed is 1.67X

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!

Josh Lyman posted:

I tested Smart Speed on my most listened-to podcast and it saved me 30 seconds during the 5 minute preview. That's a 10% savings!

It won't work for stuff like This American Life which always has music going in the background, but it might still be worth it.

I haven't tried specifically on this American life but in others it does speed through music.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
gently caress Marco Arment.

How bout this weather?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

gently caress Marco Arment.

How bout this weather?

You know any good apps for it??

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Kamakaze9 posted:

I haven't tried specifically on this American life but in others it does speed through music.

It depends on the music. If there's enough background tone between the notes, it won't cut out the silences.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

101 posted:

It's $5 and (whatever your opinion of him) Marco Arment makes inevitably gets bored of well supported, quality apps... and again, it's $5

Buy it now, buy a new, still supported podcast app in another six months!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

You Am I posted:

I thought the App Store still allowed you to download whatever version of an app that suits whatever version of iOS you are running

Doesn't work when there was no iOS 6 version.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh god app developers are controversial too now?

No need to elaborate why, I just.. Don't care.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

priznat posted:

Oh god app developers are controversial too now?

No need to elaborate why, I just.. Don't care.
If a developer makes you pay for an app then stops updating it to make a "new" app that you have to pay for again, that makes the developer a fucker.

That seems to be the implication with the Overcast developer.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
People don't dislike Marco because he doesn't support his apps (Instapaper actually has a really good history of support), they dislike him because he's outspoken and (sometimes/often, depending on who you ask) says stupid poo poo.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Josh Lyman posted:

If a developer makes you pay for an app then stops updating it to make a "new" app that you have to pay for again, that makes the developer a fucker.

That isn't the case with Arment. The case with him is he's a wealthy, mouthy, talented, lucky man with interesting friends in tech and most people are jealous of him for one or more of those reasons. He is aware of this and rightly gives no fucks, making people react even worse.

His only other major iOS app was Instapaper and he supported it for 5 years, then sold it, and it continues to live to this day, now free where it was like $10 or $15 on release.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Josh Lyman posted:

No, he works on a project for a year or two then sells it to someone else. Also, I'm pretty sure tumblr is his fault.

That being said, overcast is very good. Smart speed is useful for anything other than the real comedy podcasts (use it on giant bomb, don't on CBB).

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ok, bit the bullet and bought the in app goodies in overcast. Question though, how do you add password protected podcasts? As in, where do you input your log in details?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

ICHIBAHN posted:

Ok, bit the bullet and bought the in app goodies in overcast. Question though, how do you add password protected podcasts? As in, where do you input your log in details?
Little digging brought me to a comment in the iMore review from 4 months ago:

quote:

Password-protected feeds are not currently supported though I did see a tweet about somebody getting it to work by pasting the username and password in the URL.

May want to submit some feedback to make sure it's on the feature list for an update though?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Fuckin, waste of £3. Sake.

Cheers for the info.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The app sucks, actually. Can't add other media to it, keeps crashing when trying to import from Downcast. How do I go about getting a refund, or can't you get refunds from in app purchases?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ICHIBAHN posted:

The app sucks, actually. Can't add other media to it, keeps crashing when trying to import from Downcast. How do I go about getting a refund, or can't you get refunds from in app purchases?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=refund+app+store+purchase&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&gfe_rd=cr&ei=cK9zVPSTEIGGoQTR6YDgDw

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

ICHIBAHN posted:

Why did you buy the IAP before testing the actual app? You're insane, they let you test out all the premium features before buying, the entire app is functional without buying a drat thing.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Jerk or not, there would be no SA Forums RSS feeds without Marco Arment. That makes him OK with me.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

CygnusTM posted:

Jerk or not, there would be no SA Forums RSS feeds without Marco Arment. That makes him OK with me.

These forums have RSS feeds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Can you add podcast files to overcast? Or just downloads?