Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

samglover posted:

Pullquotes and blockquotes are different things. A pull quote isn't really part of the content like a blockquote is. A pullquote is basically a typographical teaser. They also look nice.

Yes, but then you use aside like suggested. Its a quote, so semantically you want it treated as such by the RSS. Couple it with aside and you have your semantic meaning, then use classes to make it look nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

In line with my earlier comment about Bootstrap and the like being what I need to get something decent looking out quick (given that I really don't like frontend web dev) and then if the project gets to the point I can get someone who actually enjoys this stuff...

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about working with the SmartAdmin template/theme/doodad?

I may just do it from scratch, but it would be very easy to convince myself to just use that thing. I just need to come up with something professional looking to show someone.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!

Thermopyle posted:

In line with my earlier comment about Bootstrap and the like being what I need to get something decent looking out quick (given that I really don't like frontend web dev) and then if the project gets to the point I can get someone who actually enjoys this stuff...

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about working with the SmartAdmin template/theme/doodad?

I may just do it from scratch, but it would be very easy to convince myself to just use that thing. I just need to come up with something professional looking to show someone.

If you don't enjoy fronted design, a bootstrap theme like that could be a good choice.

That one is supposedly pretty good, but once you get into the templating with that kind of theme, you run into some flexibility limitations / tradeoffs for your design. Since I have no aptitude for good front-end design, I'm a big fan of these kind of theme packages. I find myself running into some customization issues where I'm editing or overriding the theme author's own LESS code or even their javascript, which hurts if I ever want to upgrade the theme if they provide free updates.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

Thermopyle posted:

Use the poo poo out of it. Functionality of your site is going to be the most important thing and if you can focus on that first you can do as many re-design/re-styles as you want later on.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Perhaps a random question, but does anyone have experience doing development work via smartphone tethering? Since I started freelancing I've been spending way too much time in my apartment and am slowly going insane. There are a few coffee shops nearby that are nice to work at, but the combination of their lovely internet + VPN brings things to a crawl and I can't get anything done. Thus, the only times I'm able to go there are when I have a lot of stuff to do that doesn't require an internet connection (which, needless to say, isn't all that often).

I'm curious about speeds and bandwidth usage. I do the majority of my development work locally, but I do need to be able to commit stuff, SSH/SFTP to various servers to make changes and Google crap without spending minutes at a time waiting for things to load.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
If you got 3G you should be fine, it's around 7 MBPS and the latency isn't very noticeable. Just make sure your phone is plugged in cause it drains the battery real quick.

I would imagine there are also USB sticks that come with prepaid bandwidth though that might be phased out now that everybody has smartphones.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

kedo posted:

Perhaps a random question, but does anyone have experience doing development work via smartphone tethering? Since I started freelancing I've been spending way too much time in my apartment and am slowly going insane. There are a few coffee shops nearby that are nice to work at, but the combination of their lovely internet + VPN brings things to a crawl and I can't get anything done. Thus, the only times I'm able to go there are when I have a lot of stuff to do that doesn't require an internet connection (which, needless to say, isn't all that often).

I'm curious about speeds and bandwidth usage. I do the majority of my development work locally, but I do need to be able to commit stuff, SSH/SFTP to various servers to make changes and Google crap without spending minutes at a time waiting for things to load.

SSH sessions suck a little but are surprisingly usable. Moving small/medium assets is no problem at all. Pushing > 25 mb will be a pain, though.

Overall it's very usable with some exceptions. Personally I go to a bar and use their WiFi if I feel like getting out of the house.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Thanks both, I'll have to look into it in that case. Much appreciated!

Gmaz posted:

I would imagine there are also USB sticks that come with prepaid bandwidth though that might be phased out now that everybody has smartphones.

Yeah, I thought about one of those standalone devices, but I think I'd rather just use my phone. One less thing to carry around, and the ability to legitimately put at least part of my plan on the :airquote:company:airquote: credit card is a nice perk.

revmoo posted:

Personally I go to a bar and use their WiFi if I feel like getting out of the house.

I've tried about four places nearby and they're all terrible. I supposed I could always go to Starbucks and use theirs (it usually seems to be a bit better), but I don't want to be one of those people.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've never used public wifi that approached the good bandwidth and latency I get out of a decent 3g or 4g connection.

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.
Careful using WiFi on planes.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That's why I go to bars. All the coffee shops around here are jam-packed full of hipsters on their Macbooks and have weird WiFi rules and issues. I can go to the local pub and be the only one there for four hours and have unfettered WiFi access. Also burgers and beer.

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E
Question about SVG icons.

I'm designing essentially a theme website for one company, that they're going to use to roll out about 30 "microsites" for different events they host. The website uses about 25 different icons throughout, mostly custom made, mostly 2 colour.

I don't need to support ie8.

What I've done is convert all icons to SVG, linked all the SVG data in one place, then referred to the SVGs as so:

code:
<svg viewBox="0 0 31 26" class="icon icon-home">
	<use xlink:href="img/svgsprites.svg#icon-home"></use>
</svg>
All the SVG images are in one file, like so:

code:
<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" version="1.1">
  <defs>
	<g id="icon-home">
		<path id="infill" d="M30.621,13.382l-5.866-4.889V4.168c0-0.207-0.........../>
	</g>
	<g id="icon-twitter">
		<path id="infill" d="M26......
These can then quickly be recoloured in my main css file through Sass, like so:

code:
#icon-home, #icon-twitter, #icon-linkedin, #icon-testimonial..... {
	#infill{
		fill: $primary-colour !important;
	}
}
I'm using the javascript plugin svg4everybody to make it play nice with IE etc.

Setting the icons up like this has made a huge difference in speed - far fewer http requests (1 versus like 25 if I were using pngs), the svg sprites file is like 11kb (whereas using png's would have been >50kb, not allowing for stuff like making retina versions etc). Also means I can just change a sass colour variable and have them done, rather than manually changing the colour of all the icons and resaving png's.

Thought this was working fine, but tested from home last night and the icons are all displaying as black, which I believe is the "default" svg colour. I've tried removing all references to "fill" from inside the SVGs, but to no avail.

Just tested on another computer, and it's working fine in Chrome, but appears black in IE11.

Any idea how to fix this? Essentially, the svg's aren't taking the fill property from the CSS in some browsers.

Edit: to clarify, the multiple sites need to be rolled out fairly rapidly, all with different colour schemes, so the other main benefit I wanted is that I can just change the colour variable $primary-colour or whatever, and have the SVGs change colour with the text (though they use multiple colours, so an icon font isn't an option).

Edit 2: Fixed it, a stupid mistake. I was targeting the id of the icon, I should have been targeting the class. Phew! For anyone not currently using them, SVG icons are good.

Chris! fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Nov 20, 2014

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Does anyone know anything about electronic signatures? I just got asked to quote for a site that would include an "e signature module" and I kinda have no idea what that means.

I guess the only way is to sign up to one of the e sig companies (digisign etc) and embed their forms etc? No way to do a free / self-hosted version?

fuf fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 20, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My understanding is you basically just put a form where they have to manually type out their full name, which you then store as a row in a database table that contains their signature plus timestamp and details (might as well store their UA and ip address).

This would generally be for their users when they're signing up or engaging them for services.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

revmoo posted:

My understanding is you basically just put a form where they have to manually type out their full name, which you then store as a row in a database table that contains their signature plus timestamp and details (might as well store their UA and ip address).

But they have to draw their signature on screen or something right? I can't find anything about how to implement that on your own site, just a bunch of companies that want you to pay monthly to do it on theirs.

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E
There's Adobe Echosign https://www.echosign.adobe.com which allows you to "Embed signable forms in your website" on their Enterprise level - but doesn't list pricing for that level of system, might be overkill for what you need?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

fuf posted:

But they have to draw their signature on screen or something right? I can't find anything about how to implement that on your own site, just a bunch of companies that want you to pay monthly to do it on theirs.

No you literally just put in a input type text and have them type out their name. Seems kinda flimsy but as far as I know courts have upheld these things as valid.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Chris! posted:

There's Adobe Echosign https://www.echosign.adobe.com which allows you to "Embed signable forms in your website" on their Enterprise level - but doesn't list pricing for that level of system, might be overkill for what you need?

Thanks but yeah I doubt they'll want to fork out for that.

revmoo posted:

No you literally just put in a input type text and have them type out their name. Seems kinda flimsy but as far as I know courts have upheld these things as valid.

haha that's really weird.

I'm waiting to hear back on what they actually need it for. :)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well as I've been told, a signature is legally the intent to sign, not what you actually draw, so in that capacity I see how just typing it in would work.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
haha turns out they just want a petition that people can add their names to. I should have clarified before jumping the gun. Thanks for the advice anyway :)

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Just wanted to add that one time at the old job I did an e-signature thing and one of the requirements was that the page had to make them check a box (literally input type="checkbox") before clicking the submit button for some reason and I've noticed since that this is a very common pattern for similar forms.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

code:
input[type=text] {
font-family: cursive;
}
Presto, it's a signature.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I've been asked to look at a really ancient form that submits data through an

code:
action="mailto:xyz@xyzcorp.com"
I've only ever plugged in php scripts when building (the few) forms I've made, so I'm not super familiar with mailto=.

Am I right in thinking that 'mailto': only really works if you have a default mail client set up (thunderbird or outlook) or are capable of setting up a default email address on Chrome/Firefox?

This is a public facing form, so if that's the case it's not the friendliest way to get form data from our clients.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I've been asked to look at a really ancient form that submits data through an

code:
action="mailto:xyz@xyzcorp.com"
I've only ever plugged in php scripts when building (the few) forms I've made, so I'm not super familiar with mailto=.

Am I right in thinking that 'mailto': only really works if you have a default mail client set up (thunderbird or outlook) or are capable of setting up a default email address on Chrome/Firefox?

This is a public facing form, so if that's the case it's not the friendliest way to get form data from our clients.

At least in a Windows environment, clicking a mailto:mail@mail.com hyperlink in a browser will open your default mail client. If you have not set up a default mail client, I believe Windows will try to connect to an outlook server.

edit: in Chrome, I clicked a mailto hyperlink and it opened gMail in a new tab :aaa:

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Jake Blues posted:

edit: in Chrome, I clicked a mailto hyperlink and it opened gMail in a new tab :aaa:

Brace yourself for this, you would have missed it. They got bin Laden.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

That form should probably be changed to something a little more modern. mailto is unreliable in my experience... I've had a lot of clients in the past say things like, "Why does this link open Outlook when I click it? I don't use Outlook, I use Yahoo mail..." or whatever because they haven't set up their browser to send mailto links to their web mail.

Jotform is pretty easy to implement from what I've heard. Never used it myself, but I have a few colleagues who use it. There are a lot of other services like it. I tend to prefer stuff like that over PHP mailers because the risk of important mail getting lost in someone's spam folder (or even worse, rejected by the server entirely) is lower, and even if that occurs there'll be a copy of the email in a database somewhere.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I'll have to check out Jotform. I use mailto because I'm too lazy to learn anything more complex.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I use mailto on simple contacts. If it's a technological hurdle for someone I probably don't want to be talking to them.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I actually stopped using mailto: for the very reasons described; no guarantee of a mail client, inconsistent handling of it depending on OS etc. But now actually might be the time to bring it back, especially since on mobile you have to have an email client/address working to have any kind of other functionality.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What scaffolds/generators do people use? I like the idea of Yeoman, but it just confuses me further cause adding new dependencies is nearly impossible.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!

Pollyanna posted:

What scaffolds/generators do people use? I like the idea of Yeoman, but it just confuses me further cause adding new dependencies is nearly impossible.

You can use the --save flag ("$ bower install <package> --save") when adding something, which will add the package to your project and add it to your bower.json so it will be included when other people pull the project from github.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

enthe0s posted:

You can use the --save flag ("$ bower install <package> --save") when adding something, which will add the package to your project and add it to your bower.json so it will be included when other people pull the project from github.

See I did this and then it never actually got included in my dist, even with grunt bower/grunt wiredep.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

Pollyanna posted:

Generally none, because IMO Yeoman is horrible. The theory's ok I suppose, but you're dependent on someone else's hosed-up idea of their perfect workflow: eg say I would like a React starter to play with, but the developer has decided on Bower and Require rather than NPM and Browserify and hosed if I want to go back to trying to figure out Require. There's that many competing APIs, I'd rather just use the NPM modules I know, bundled via Browserify, and plug through Gulp if necessary.

Occasionally you hit on a generator built by a developer with the same taste in tools, so at that point I generally install, copy the setup and forget it was done via Yeoman.

poo poo, even stuff like Rails scaffolding isn't terribly useful, and that does the same predictable thing every time regardless. >:-(

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Man all this talk about deployment tools. I remember when you had HTML, the javascript was inline, as was the CSS (assuming you didn't use built in things like <TD ALIGN="LEFT">).

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

Scaramouche posted:

Man all this talk about deployment tools. I remember when you had HTML, the javascript was inline, as was the CSS (assuming you didn't use built in things like <TD ALIGN="LEFT">).

I thought I'd managed to leave all that years behind me and then in my current job I've ended up having to produce unique HTML email templates and Jesus Christ

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

I wrote a bash script that asks me a bunch of questions (Are you using Javascript in this project? Are you using React? etc.) and then poops out a gulpfile for me and runs all the npm commands I'll need to get going, creates my directory structure, then opens index.html, site.scss, and app.js in MacVim for me.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
What is the deal with styling disabled options in a select? Is this a thing that you used to be able to do but can't anymore? Because I'm seeing all kinds of examples on stackoverflow and the like that are supposed to work, that just don't (in chrome, at least). For instance this (all three methods shown) works in firefox, but not safari or chrome. Styling selects in general seems like kind of a pain in the rear end.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

jackpot posted:

What is the deal with styling disabled options in a select? Is this a thing that you used to be able to do but can't anymore? Because I'm seeing all kinds of examples on stackoverflow and the like that are supposed to work, that just don't (in chrome, at least). For instance this (all three methods shown) works in firefox, but not safari or chrome. Styling selects in general seems like kind of a pain in the rear end.

It is. Basically JavaScript is the way to go. Use jQuery UI or something to turn it into a HTML/CSS/JS equivalent and then you can style the various parts without issue.

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

We are each responsible for our own destiny.
What's the consensus on using flexbox nowadays? caniuse.com says the support is generally pretty good, and it's just for an small(ish) desktop/mobile app I'm working on for a local gym, but recent experiments with android devices and flexbox left me somewhat...concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Bastard posted:

What's the consensus on using flexbox nowadays? caniuse.com says the support is generally pretty good, and it's just for an small(ish) desktop/mobile app I'm working on for a local gym, but recent experiments with android devices and flexbox left me somewhat...concerned.

I wouldn't use it without at least checking a site's browser demographic beforehand. I haven't done a lot with flexbox - what did you find in Android, I'm interested?