Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Best of luck xie. I can't help but think you are looking at a 5%-10% of actually getting a cask, but you'll never know if you don't dig. Be sure to take pics if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Drunk Nerds posted:

Why not dig directly under the lamp?

The lamp itself is up against the pavement, the spot between this thing on the ground and the lamp is my target. The box is about 18-24" wide and there are about 30" between the box and the lamp. Dead center is where I'll start, since he had to have room for the plexiglass box. (12")

It's bigger than you think but much smaller than the planter in CLE.

xie fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 24, 2014

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

xie posted:

At the end of the day no matter how sure I am there's no guarantee anything will be unearthed. I'd love to find it, this is kind of sad but I've dreamed about it. But more than anything I want to see the dig. If I don't see what was dug and where I'm not sure I'll ever be satisfied. We should start turning over pieces of plexiglass before the casque. Honestly, in true BP fashion I'm REALLY confident in this spot, but there's still some real wiggle room as to where exactly it's buried. Either way, we will need 2-3 lookouts to do this, as people can approach from a few different spots.

Here is some of the info on the site I'm digging at. For sake of argument, meet me halfway and assume I'm in the right park, otherwise there's no point :) I have a PDF with around 12-15 definite/possible matches in this park, and am 100% convinced, but I understand not everyone will be.

I am holding back the "ah ha!" key that assures this is the right place - when standing at this spot you are triangulated between two specific things that are referenced in the verse. One is the "18th day, 12th hour" reference which is visible from the dig spot, the other is the solve for "All the letters" which is the smoking gun for this hunt and is ONLY visible from this spot or others near it. If you go about 20 feet in either direction you lose visual on it. I'm willing to share it with certain people over PM, but am not going to post it publicly. If anyone fucks this dig up for me by getting caught I'll be wicked pissed.

At the end of the verse it says "lit by lamplight" - if you look at Image #11, there is light coming out of the box held by the gypsy. Now, bear with me, the light coming out of the box has a fairly distinctive shape (see how it has those bands in sort of a fan pattern?). The light coming out of the box is specifically shining on the woman's collar, which if you examine, one of the "links" on her collar, you'll note that it's different. It's a square within another square. The following image illustrates both of these perfectly:

This has long assumed to be the "ah ha!" image here. This is the painting/verse callback, and it tells you what to dig at, like "fence and fixture" and "seek the columns." I've been harping on those for a reason. This is the dig location. Yes, it is unique, there are none of these elsewhere in the park. And yes, if you look up at the picture of the lamp, that is the same pattern as the light coming from the box.

These are taken from the exact same spot. There is a 2-2.5ft patch of grass between this "hatch" on the ground and the lamp. There are no other "hatches" in the park, and there are no other similar features anywhere near a lamp. You can also see "all the letters" from here and only here.

http://i.imgur.com/MZPN4xQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BdSvLg6.jpg

I have a completely linear solve that hits pretty much every point in the verse clearly and concisely, without ever needing to take out your smartphone, go to the library, or be familiar with early 20th century literature. It ends right here.

Open the hatch, it's obviously in there. :v:

Seriously though, that's a pretty good argument you have. I haven't seen any theories pinpointing a spot better than that one. I hope you can dig and don't have any trouble.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Whoever your lookout is, make sure they bring a drat camera and take a few pics for all of us who've been following this thread forever. The Cleveland pics are fun to look at years later, you'll regret not documenting your dig if you don't take any photos.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I'm torn because documenting this dig is documenting at least two violations of MA state law.

I'm a little bitter because when people tried to dig in Prospect Park (NY) the park employees went and got them a shovel to use. Golden Gate park thinks its a hoot and approves all of Malted Falcon's requests to dig even though he's been digging for a decade now.

Even Foutain of Youth Park until super recently was very receptive, and these days they're more just tired of it than anti.

The DCR just kind of suck. If I could reach anyone there I'd still try it because why not? I'd love to invite a photographer.

edit: From here and other sites at least 3 different theories for the pacific northwest have crossed my 'desk.' I find that interesting, especially considering most people would hit St. Louis next if one of our cities is wrong :)

xie fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 24, 2014

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

xie posted:

The DCR just kind of suck. If I could reach anyone there I'd still try it because why not? I'd love to invite a photographer.

for legit xie if you need a photographer, please to count me in

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Saint Fu posted:

Whoever your lookout is, make sure they bring a drat camera and take a few pics for all of us who've been following this thread forever. The Cleveland pics are fun to look at years later, you'll regret not documenting your dig if you don't take any photos.

I agree!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

xie posted:

Golden Gate park thinks its a hoot and approves all of Malted Falcon's requests to dig even though he's been digging for a decade now.

This is because they have staff members that look at the puzzle and know it's not there so think it is funny.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Are the Ghiradelli letters down? I can't find them on Google Earth today

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Someone found those letters in a better spot, I'll try to dig it up on Q4T. It was on a park map I believe that used to be posted somewhere. They matched better than the Gh at Ghiradelli.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 23, 2016

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 23, 2016

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Buried inside the statue of The Thinker.

Comedy option: in the holocaust celebration exhibit.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

That's not a bad theory. The elongated dress serves as an anchor to SF, but the other clues you've posted make it more specific to that area. I bet there's loads more clues in the image that haven't been matched up yet. Her pointing at 3 and 4 like that always bugged me. It's screaming importance.

I think now a 'giant step' needs to be found in the area, or at least we need boots on the ground to check out the place and try to match some more clues. I'll book my air tickets there once I've won the lottery.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I don't like the golf thing. I'm not saying there are NO aerial shots in the paintings, but many a folly has been made using Google Earth to compare things in ways that really weren't available in 1981. On the other hand every single painting contains moons, I'm not too concerned with matching them to anything specific.

I'm not seeing what's supposed to be Lincoln there? What's Education and Justice? And how is that statue running North but First Across? I guess I'm just not familiar enough with the area.

How close is the legion of honor to the Gh sign? What does that Joan of Arc statue look like from the front?

Also It's pretty generic but I'd say the area with the flagpole looks like the top of the woman's head. The part that is a perfectly flat bowl cut with absolutely no curls or decorations.

All in all it's not bad, I'm just telling you these things need a LOT of work on the ground and I'm almost positive will not be solved via GMaps/Earth.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Viruswithshoes posted:

I think now a 'giant step' needs to be found in the area, or at least we need boots on the ground to check out the place and try to match some more clues. I'll book my air tickets there once I've won the lottery.

It might mean just stand at the pole and take a bigass step. It may be buried basically directly under the pole.

Edit: https://goo.gl/maps/jkqKq <- Looks like it was totally renovated. My bet is that the cask is gone.

Edit 2: Is this the giant pole? It's still there, and unlike the flagpole is not surrounded by concrete:
https://www.google.com/maps/views/view/114699222359367573018/gphoto/5661952586551311458?gl=us

Edit 3: "Jesus loving christ" is this "how crazy people talk"? http://www.lincoln-highway-museum.org/FlagDay-150/FD-150-II-Index.html

:psyduck:

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 25, 2014

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I've heard "giant step" mean to take a step before and I'm not saying BP is flawless but gently caress how is anyone actually supposed to dig that up if that's the case? Being off by a foot is HUGE in this hunt and everyone's steps (and idea of a "giant" step) is different.

No, my guess is there is going to be something much more obvious that's readable or visible. Either some sort of Neil Armstrong thing, a literal Giant's step, some sort of SF Giants thing, etc. It's going to be much more "literal" than that and something you can see. Otherwise where do you step from? A pole is a circle basically, which direction? From which exact starting spot?

edit: Wouldn't a gigantic flagpole like that have a concrete barrier that extends out underneath the ground?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
P sure this is the Giant step he's talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqUPLG4Jgo4

Best hit the zoo.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

The pole was in the middle of cement in the middle of the circular parking lot. During Preiss' day, there was no digging anywhere within 25 feet of that pole. It was nothing but cement and asphalt.

What about a large step in the direction of the pole from the statue?

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

just saw this thread and am dumb and not gonna read 116 pages but did anyone mention that the rocks below the alcatraz window in image 1 look like people sitting and looking to the right?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 23, 2016

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Interesting. If so, I don't know how the gently caress he would have gotten away with digging there: on museum grounds, an immaculate lawn, probably a thousand people nearby on any given day, the area constantly being photographed by tourists, every Chinese newlywed in the Bay Area bringing their bridal parties there for a bazillion photo shoots.

Nowadays there's a guard patrolling the grounds 24/7.

I don't understand how he could dig in any park in SF without some homeless guy seeing it and diggging it up.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I know it's not a real rule, and the book specifically says they can be almost anywhere but at this point they really all do seem to be in actual parks rather than private grounds.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Here is one of the matches I promised you at the Compass :) Im on my phone, but take a look at the Gypsy's sleeve (her right, our left if memory serves) and notice the ' ^ ' that seems out of place. Now, we know it isn't the Citgo sign which appears on her dress 'columns,' so what is it?

http://i.imgur.com/g7utxIx.jpg

It's the very unique way the letter 'K' is carved into the Compass. :) the 'cuts' in the stone separate the K into a | and a <, and this is absolutely a Polaroid Photo inserted into the painting.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
yeah, that's pretty good.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

xie posted:

Here is one of the matches I promised you at the Compass :) Im on my phone, but take a look at the Gypsy's sleeve (her right, our left if memory serves) and notice the ' ^ ' that seems out of place. Now, we know it isn't the Citgo sign which appears on her dress 'columns,' so what is it?

http://i.imgur.com/g7utxIx.jpg

It's the very unique way the letter 'K' is carved into the Compass. :) the 'cuts' in the stone separate the K into a | and a <, and this is absolutely a Polaroid Photo inserted into the painting.

When you get to a computer, can you post a side by side?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kingnothing posted:

When you get to a computer, can you post a side by side?

Just Google image 11, and look at her upper arm. It's on the left side, her right arm.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Also on the first page of this thread.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

If anyone would like to see the book here is a very high quality scan that has been OCRed for searching/copying. http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/69009390/The Secret_OCR.pdf

If I go down for :filez: it's for a good cause, but I think since it's way out of print we should be OK.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Is thAt a marker which indicates the dig spot, or just the general area? Because thAt lamp already had me 100 % convinced it is the right area. It's Boston's Legeater

xie
Jul 29, 2004

That is on the start location. The lamps are unique to the park, but all of them have that design. The hatch/collar link is the 'dig here' and is located under one of the lamps.

I got this poo poo :)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

xie posted:

That is on the start location. The lamps are unique to the park, but all of them have that design. The hatch/collar link is the 'dig here' and is located under one of the lamps.

I got this poo poo :)

Dig that poo poo up tomorrow while everyone's at home eating turkey!

xie
Jul 29, 2004

We literally have snow on the ground :(

Good news - my wrist is badly sprained, not broken :toot:

xie fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 27, 2014

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

This is pretty awesome being on the precipice.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Great to hear...
Dig with your other hand

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
This is finally getting exciting... :)

Adbot