Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

GutBomb posted:

He's saying he can hear a difference between lossless and 360kbps lossy files. His purchases don't make a lot of sense, but this does. I can hear the difference (I just don't care) pretty easily. Whether I'd be able to identify which was compressed or lossless is another matter but I'd be able to hear a difference.

Nope.

If you go to hydrogenaudio or elsewhere where the local audiophiles accept and encourage ABX tests, even the most ardent of them will tell you anything above 192 is transparent in any format, and AAC nearly-always at 160 too.

I've *never* seen anyone ABX 320kbs on a codec made after 2005 unless they're uploading tiny samples to point out a specific artifact that occurs in order to improve errors in the codec.

The only reason to use lossless is to avoid issues where, 5 years later, you hear a bit of artifacting in one song when played on a $50,000 setup in perfect conditions and this ends up annoying you.

If you think 320 sounds "lossy" to you, do yourself a favour and ABX yourself.

e: somehow thought I was replying to the end of the thread, but eh the point remains.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
How does the 320kb lossy codecs hold up if you decide to load the file up in an editor and run it through 26 filters? I heard the more aggressive "optimized for human hearing" stuff falls apart pretty quickly if it gets transposed or multiplied. Or scenarios like "re-encode in a new future codec"?

Granted, probably not really something anyone actually ever does, but it seems like a potential functional difference.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

How does the 320kb lossy codecs hold up if you decide to load the file up in an editor and run it through 26 filters? I heard the more aggressive "optimized for human hearing" stuff falls apart pretty quickly if it gets transposed or multiplied. Or scenarios like "re-encode in a new future codec"?

Granted, probably not really something anyone actually ever does, but it seems like a potential functional difference.

This is the reason lossless codecs exist. They're not pointless, they're just not meant for listening to.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KillHour posted:

This is the reason lossless codecs exist. They're not pointless, they're just not meant for listening to.

Well, if you have enough space on your device, why not?

It saves you a transcoding step. All of my music is stored losslessly, and I can't really be bothered to transcode when my player has ~40 gigs of storage and plays FLAC natively.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
There really isn't a good place to post this, but I'd like to make some speakers that look like this: http://brokenliquid.com/52503/3525132/gallery/rough-waters
I figure they'd be pretty audiophile.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Because not all of us have "reasonable" amounts of music.

Also, I've moved to Spotify and it's saved me thousands in song purchases.

TomR posted:

There really isn't a good place to post this, but I'd like to make some speakers that look like this: http://brokenliquid.com/52503/3525132/gallery/rough-waters
I figure they'd be pretty audiophile.

This is made of dozens of pieces of glass sandwiched together, and is completely awesome. Speakers would ruin it.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Yeah I know it's awesome. Maybe just have them in the same room as the speakers. Job done.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

KillHour posted:

Saying they're not designed for listening to is a bit disingenuous, because that's exactly what they're designed for. If you just wanted to archive them, you can RAR/ZIP the wav files. Most archivers will have a special mode for working with audio so you get similar-or-better compression ratios than using FLAC/ALAC, whilst giving the other advantages of an actual archive format (CRC checks, incremental backups, encryption, error tolerance, whatever).

If it matters to anyone I recommend WinRAR. The later versions have done a great job at keeping top-end harmonics clear and open even after being in an archive with other files. Make sure you use the RAR5 format or you won't get the benefit.
Never compress on AMD, either, their obsession with cramming more cores onto every chip means they have poor jitter. I pity anyone who hasn't heard a proper i7 decompression of Dark Side of the Moon. When I played it for the first time my girlfriend in the other room came running in asking what happened to the soundstage and instrument placing.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
My eye began twitching as I read that

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Khablam posted:

Saying they're not designed for listening to is a bit disingenuous, because that's exactly what they're designed for. If you just wanted to archive them, you can RAR/ZIP the wav files. Most archivers will have a special mode for working with audio so you get similar-or-better compression ratios than using FLAC/ALAC, whilst giving the other advantages of an actual archive format (CRC checks, incremental backups, encryption, error tolerance, whatever).

If it matters to anyone I recommend WinRAR. The later versions have done a great job at keeping top-end harmonics clear and open even after being in an archive with other files. Make sure you use the RAR5 format or you won't get the benefit.
Never compress on AMD, either, their obsession with cramming more cores onto every chip means they have poor jitter. I pity anyone who hasn't heard a proper i7 decompression of Dark Side of the Moon. When I played it for the first time my girlfriend in the other room came running in asking what happened to the soundstage and instrument placing.

this is a fakepost right. right.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

bobbilljim posted:

this is a fakepost right. right.
I think you might be on to something, mister Sherlock. Let us know what the investigation turns up!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Khablam posted:

The gently caress? For one, audio editors and multitrackers don't deal with RAR/ZIP archives, and second, neither any of the ZIP compressors, nor WinRAR do have those fabled audio modes. That are apparently also better than the actual dedicated audio compressors.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It goes from "This could be a legitimate post" to "What the gently caress" to :catstare: in like 30 seconds.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Combat Pretzel posted:

neither any of the ZIP compressors, nor WinRAR do have those fabled audio modes. That are apparently also better than the actual dedicated audio compressors.
WinRAR actually had multimedia compression, which could compress uncompressed audio to ballpark FLAC ratios. More or less. It was removed in version 5. It was quite spectacular when it was introduced, especially because mp3 wasn't a thing yet at the time.

Not "most" archivers though. And never "or better" ratios. And it wouldn't be available in the RAR5 format he suggests when the post turns to even more complete gibberish.

Why am I arguing with someone arguing with someone making a joke?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
http://tidalhifi.com/us

On-demand, 16-bit FLAC streaming. $20/mo, with a free 7-day trial to start. Kinda tempted, but Apple has me so tied to my iTunes library (playcounts, playlists, etc.) that it's really hard to take any streaming option seriously.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
WinRAR is to compression what a 5000 dollar power cable is to powering audio equipment.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

http://tidalhifi.com/us

On-demand, 16-bit FLAC streaming. $20/mo, with a free 7-day trial to start. Kinda tempted, but Apple has me so tied to my iTunes library (playcounts, playlists, etc.) that it's really hard to take any streaming option seriously.

Or you could just get Spotify for half that and stream in 'extreme' quality.

And here, let me free you from your iTunes hell:

https://support.spotify.com/us/problems/#!/article/Convert-Playlists-to-Spotify

Spotify has last.fm integration, if you want to keep track of your playcounts. It can also play music stored locally on your computer if you have iTunes albums not available through the streaming service.

You really have no excuse.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 29, 2014

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

KillHour posted:

Or you could just get Spotify for half that and stream in 'extreme' quality.

And here, let me free you from your iTunes hell:

https://support.spotify.com/us/problems/#!/article/Convert-Playlists-to-Spotify

Spotify has last.fm integration, if you want to keep track of your playcounts. It can also play music stored locally on your computer if you have iTunes albums not available through the streaming service.

You really have no excuse.

Nah, I'm pretty reliant on smart playlists at this point. New songs get cycled in pretty frequently, with a separate playlist of songs I haven't heard in a while. I've never been one to just shuffle my library, and couldn't imagine manually maintaining one.

EDIT: I think Spotify free is great for finding or sampling new songs, but I still like getting deep into my own library. The smart playlists keep the "loved" songs on hand, while shuffling in enough "liked" songs to keep things fresh, all without me having to think too much about it. I sort of feel that the "liked" songs tend to get lost in something like Spotify - I don't necessarily want a 3-star song in my "Starred" or "Saved" playlist, but having it pop up randomly every six months or so is still nice.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 29, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

Nah, I'm pretty reliant on smart playlists at this point. New songs get cycled in pretty frequently, with a separate playlist of songs I haven't heard in a while. I've never been one to just shuffle my library, and couldn't imagine manually maintaining one.

Well poo poo, then why aren't you on a streaming service? I just right click on a song I like and hit "Start Radio." and it makes a playlist for me. Or I'll just listen to a playlist someone else made. Or I'll listen to the music my friends are listening to in the sidebar. There's like a billion and one ways to find new music, and none of it involves buying an album. It's fantastic.

And if that's still not enough for options, there are a ton of third party apps directly integrated for just that: Last.fm, Lazify, Moodagent, Sifter....

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 29, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

KillHour posted:

Well poo poo, then why aren't you on a streaming service? I just right click on a song I like and hit "Start Radio." and it makes a playlist for me. Or I'll just listen to a playlist someone else made. Or I'll listen to the music my friends are listening to in the sidebar. There's like a billion and one ways to find new music, and none of it involves buying an album. It's fantastic.

And if that's still not enough for options, there are a ton of third party apps directly integrated for just that: Last.fm, Lazify, Moodagent, Sifter....
They're one of those people. Just let them be.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Khablam posted:

Nope.

If you go to hydrogenaudio or elsewhere where the local audiophiles accept and encourage ABX tests, even the most ardent of them will tell you anything above 192 is transparent in any format, and AAC nearly-always at 160 too.

I've *never* seen anyone ABX 320kbs on a codec made after 2005 unless they're uploading tiny samples to point out a specific artifact that occurs in order to improve errors in the codec.

The only reason to use lossless is to avoid issues where, 5 years later, you hear a bit of artifacting in one song when played on a $50,000 setup in perfect conditions and this ends up annoying you.

If you think 320 sounds "lossy" to you, do yourself a favour and ABX yourself.

e: somehow thought I was replying to the end of the thread, but eh the point remains.

Jesus. I'm not even an audiophile, I listen to my music most of the time in the car over Bluetooth. I don't think 320 sounds lossy in the sense that I wouldn't subject my ears to such garbage. I've downloaded 320kbps mp3s that sounded like crap, likely due to a lovely rip, then downloaded flac files of the same album that sounded better. I don't feel superior because I can hear the difference, I just stated that I have heard a difference.

lovely rips are possible with mp3 but ripping a CD to flac is guaranteed to be the same poo poo that's on the CD.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Nintendo Kid posted:

WinRAR is to compression what a 5000 dollar power cable is to powering audio equipment.
Where can i get a free audiophile power cable that constantly reminds me that its 30 day trial period ran out in 1998?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Where can i get a free audiophile power cable that constantly reminds me that its 30 day trial period ran out in 1998?

You know that straight up free and better compression exists right? It's 7zip dude.

Similarly, real audio equipment tends to come with a power cord that performs exactly as well as a $5000 one for free.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

Why am I arguing with someone arguing with someone making a joke?
Who trolls the trollers?

As for the compression remarks, other than the paragraph deliberately stuck in the middle of Poe's law, I was being serious. WinZIP for example uses Wavpack on .wav files, which beats FLAC, ALAC and APE for overall compression ratios. If your literal use is "not to listen to, but to archive" then zipping a wav and cue file is better all around.

I was replying to someone who was saying lossless formats aren't for listening to; they are because they all make tradeoffs on their compression ratios so they can be decompressed on portable devices - i.e. they are made to be listened to.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 29, 2014

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Nintendo Kid posted:

You know that straight up free and better compression exists right? It's 7zip dude.

Similarly,
Your comparison wasn't nearly as subtle as you think it was, but apparently me joking about it was.

Although now i'd love to see someone sell winrar for 5000 bucks with extremely flowery audiophile language. All the "RAM cleaner" programs out there proof that there's a target audience of gullible marks for it, and hey, it works for those "audiophile grade" music players that just put a shiny frontend on the regular OS sound api, right?

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

KillHour posted:

I like FLAC or WAV for listening...mostly because I run my audio thru heavy processing (agc/multiband compression/limiting and other effects), and artifacts tend to get amplified when run thru processing. Plus I have external hard drives, so storage isn't a issue.

But I'm a special snowflake who has different listening habits than most, so what works for me might not work for others - and AAC/MP3 codecs are useable for the most part these days, unlike the early Napster days when most MP3's sounded underwater.

And I fully support development of AudiophileRAR, just to see who would buy the drat thing.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The fun thing about AudiophileRAR, is that the ones who don't bite and go on to tell you why it can't possibly matter, can have their arguments reflected against their purchase of $500 USB cables.

Arguably the biggest problem audiophiles have, is they have to bite on these kinds of things; if they argue a wav-file is a wav-file they're suggesting mathematics and parity-checks can be used as evidence, and they pull the rug out from under their own house of cards.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Oh, a wav is a wav, but the problem is repeatedly stressing the bits every time you decompress the RAR. Each decompression includes multiple bit-shifts and addition operations, each taking its toll on the integrity of the bitstream. If you are listening to the track even a few times a week, it will only take 3-4 months before the effects add up and the bits are reduced to shell-shocked, used-up husks of their former selves. The RAR format simply wasn't designed for repeated listening.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

taqueso posted:

Oh, a wav is a wav, but the problem is repeatedly stressing the bits every time you decompress the RAR. Each decompression includes multiple bit-shifts and addition operations, each taking its toll on the integrity of the bitstream. If you are listening to the track even a few times a week, it will only take 3-4 months before the effects add up and the bits are reduced to shell-shocked, used-up husks of their former selves. The RAR format simply wasn't designed for repeated listening.

Luckily for you audiophiles who have been using the wrong way to compress poo poo and wearing out your bits, I can sell you a fully functioning bit recycler to pay for your sins. Only $500! https://archive.org/details/TheBitRecycler_1020

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

RoadCrewWorker posted:

That's basically what putting expensive technology on credit is, you just get the reminders by phone.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sweet bejesus, someone talk me out of buying these.

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/ele/4769477324.html

http://www.klipsch.com/chorus-ii-floorstanding-speaker/details

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 39Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB
SENSITIVITY: 101dB @ 1watt/1meter
POWER HANDLING: 100 watts maximum continuous (1000 watts peak)
MAX ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: 121dB SPL
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms

:catdrugs:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KillHour posted:

No one here argues the importance of good speakers.

Good room, good speakers, good source, good enough components. The rest of bull poo poo.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

No one here argues the importance of good speakers.

Good room, good speakers, good source, good enough components. The rest of bull poo poo.

Oh trust me, I know. But I don't need these. I really don't. I was just looking for some cheap speakers for the basement to work out to. I have a very nice 2.1 system in my office and an even nicer 5.1 system in my living room. I don't need these. But I want these. I have a problem. :ohdear:

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

KillHour posted:

Those old Klipschs sound like horseshit without a low-powered tube amp.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Well he can use them as firewood when his house gets snowed in again this week.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Well he can use them as firewood when his house gets snowed in again this week.

You're the one selling these, aren't you? :ninja:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Chill Callahan posted:

Those old Klipschs sound like horseshit without a low-powered tube amp.
Sounds like a great excuse to learn how to build a tube amp from scratch.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KillHour posted:

You're the one selling these, aren't you? :ninja:

Mine won't burn that long, sorry.

Audiot
May 18, 2006

Behold! For those of us stuck in the past using physical media Furutech has come to our rescue. You can throw out your old and lovely SK-II and order the new and improved SK-III. Now with 10% more Corona discharge fibers! This piece you will remove 300-500v of Frictional Static Discharge on CD's! I have no idea what any of this means, but if it's good enough for the Japanese police force, then it's got to be amazing and not bull poo poo at all.

http://www.furutech.com/2014/08/06/9773/

Audiot fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Audiot posted:

Behold! For those of us stuck in the past using physical media Furutech has come to our rescue. You can throw out your old and lovely SK-II and order the new and improved SK-III. Now with 10% more Corona discharge fibers! This piece you will remove 300-500v of Frictional Static Discharge on CD's! I have no idea what any of this means, but if it's good enough for the Japanese police force, then it's got to be amazing and not bull poo poo at all.

http://www.furutech.com/2014/08/06/9773/

Somebody overestimated the makeup brush market this quarter