Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Crossposting from TVIV:

Last summer I was at a bar playing darts and noticed that Jeopardy was on the TV. I thought that was kind of weird until I noticed that one of the contestants was actually there in the bar with a group of friends to watch his game's broadcast. He won the match, and in his slightly buzzed celebration I heard him say something about attending the newly started bar trivia the next night at that same bar. "Oh poo poo," I thought, since I had been planning to attend with a group of friends for a few weeks. This guy was going to stomp us!! He went on to win 8 matches of Jeopardy in a row and won something stupid like $200,000.

Fortunately, the reason I heard him talking about the trivia is because he was the host. His name is Ben Ingram, and he's going to be competing in the Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions tomorrow since he won his match last Monday. He's a nice dude, super smart, writes great trivia questions. Check him out and send him all your smart vibes! (even though the match has already been filmed and decided)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

timp posted:

Last summer I was at a bar playing darts and noticed that Jeopardy was on the TV. I thought that was kind of weird until I noticed that one of the contestants was actually there in the bar with a group of friends to watch his game's broadcast. He won the match, and in his slightly buzzed celebration I heard him say something about attending the newly started bar trivia the next night at that same bar. "Oh poo poo," I thought, since I had been planning to attend with a group of friends for a few weeks. This guy was going to stomp us!! He went on to win 8 matches of Jeopardy in a row and won something stupid like $200,000.

Fortunately, the reason I heard him talking about the trivia is because he was the host. His name is Ben Ingram, and he's going to be competing in the Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions tomorrow since he won his match last Monday. He's a nice dude, super smart, writes great trivia questions. Check him out and send him all your smart vibes! (even though the match has already been filmed and decided)

I wanted to do the whole bar thing myself when my episode aired back in June, but the World Cup was going on then, and there was no way that was going to happen. Didn't even win anyway, so I had a small party at my house instead.

And Ben Ingram is a pretty cool dude. Missed his episode last week because of school and travel stuff (as well as the first episode of the semi-finals yesterday due to the former), but I'll try to catch his episode tomorrow if I don't piss around after school.

Missed the Friday episode like I said I would, but it's a pretty decent slate of semi-finalists and matchups. Gonna catch the Arthur game tonight since I don't have anywhere to go in between now and when the episode airs in less than 30 minutes. Julia apparently winning yesterday makes the fabled Julia/Arthur/Ben (or maybe Sandie) Final even more likely, and I wouldn't miss that for the world.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
It's Chulia time! Any French Lit FJ is gonna be one of those 3 books.

That game was brutal. Really tough board especially if you're bad at de-scrambling anagrams quickly like me. Can't wait for the final.

Zombie Tsunami
Jun 22, 2006

I went to college with Ben, just wanted to confirm he is indeed A Cool Dude You Should Be Rooting For. Hilarious Twitter as well.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
This is going to be the greatest Tournament of Champions finals ever!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Did Ben mouth "holy poo poo" when he got Final right or was it just me? Either way, he's now played 11 games and gotten 11 finals right - very impressive.

What a buzzsaw, even if this board seemed way easier than some of the others in this tournament. This final should be incredible.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

zakharov posted:

Did Ben mouth "holy poo poo" when he got Final right or was it just me? Either way, he's now played 11 games and gotten 11 finals right - very impressive.

What a buzzsaw, even if this board seemed way easier than some of the others in this tournament. This final should be incredible.

I'm certain he did, he did not expect at all to be correct in final. The answer makes sense in hindsight although I had blown it since I was not familiar with the book.

A 20 (?) time champ, a player who's goon approved and one of the biggest trolls in jeopardy history & you've got the making of a proverbial classic championship battle.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

zakharov posted:

Not sure about the final, but I did just see him post this on Facebook in response to the question, "What were you mouthing during the intro?":

quote:

"Here's a health Carolina". That's part of USC's alma mater, 'cause I did part of Wofford's alma mater last Monday. No one ever figured that one out [...] I forgot what I said next two times, so we'll all be surprised together.

He went to Wofford for his undergrad and S.Carolina for his masters. One more piece of Ben Ingram trivia: his favorite TV show of all time is Sanford and Son. He used to ask such a high volume of Sanford and Son trivia questions that I actually had to start doing some research on the show. Seriously, there was at least one S&S question per week out of 50 questions, and sometimes he'd even do an entire round of S&S questions.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

timp posted:

One more piece of Ben Ingram trivia: his favorite TV show of all time is Sanford and Son. He used to ask such a high volume of Sanford and Son trivia questions that I actually had to start doing some research on the show. Seriously, there was at least one S&S question per week out of 50 questions, and sometimes he'd even do an entire round of S&S questions.

I read some of his reddit AMA and his username was Red Foxx related, and he referenced a Red Foxx bit at least one time. So yeah, that's not surprising.

I'll be happy if Ben wins but I think I still gotta root for Julia in the final.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

zakharov posted:

It's Chulia time! Any French Lit FJ is gonna be one of those 3 books.

That game was brutal. Really tough board especially if you're bad at de-scrambling anagrams quickly like me. Can't wait for the final.

zakharov posted:

Island Nation posted:

I'm certain he did, he did not expect at all to be correct in final. The answer makes sense in hindsight although I had blown it since I was not familiar with the book.

A 20 (?) time champ, a player who's goon approved and one of the biggest trolls in jeopardy history & you've got the making of a proverbial classic championship battle.

Missed Ben Ingram apparently demolishing everyone yesterday, but I did see Arthur Chu's episode. And yes, it was crazy brutal. But still, my dream ToC matchup is here, and I'm making sure to watch both episodes so see the outcome. It's going to be amazing.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I was so proud of Julia's true daily double, and then the final was just.... :(

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I was so proud of Julia's true daily double, and then the final was just.... :(

My husband and I literally cheered when she got her true daily double, and I may have fist-pumped when she passed Arthur on the board. That final was super :(. I really want her to come back and win it all tomorrow.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Julia made some BIG PLAYS today with those Daily Doubles. Too bad Ben didn't miss FJ to keep it closer tomorrow.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

That FJ was pretty tough. I was certain it was 1960 and then at the last second I remembered the "No VPs" stipulation and blanked. I had forgotten that FDR was the VP candidate in 1920 even though I watched the drat Ken Burns Roosevelts doc. :negative:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I said 1928 - totally forgot FDR was on the ticket in 1920. Julia had some serious guts with those Daily Doubles, and I don't think she's out of it. Nobody is outclassed here.

Ben has STILL yet to miss a Final.

Zombie Tsunami
Jun 22, 2006

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

That FJ was pretty tough. I was certain it was 1960 and then at the last second I remembered the "No VPs" stipulation and blanked. I had forgotten that FDR was the VP candidate in 1920 even though I watched the drat Ken Burns Roosevelts doc. :negative:

I am probably in the 0.000001% of people in the world with knowledge of US presidential elections - I used to go through every single one and read about them as a kid and study political science for a living. Still was thinking 1960 until Trebek mentioned James Cox and was like gently caress, it was 1920 and if I was on the show I would have gone all in and lost everything :negative:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

It's a shame that Julia didn't have enough to stay in it at the end, but I can't feel bad about Ben winning. He seems like a great guy!

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.
Well that was anti-climactic. Boring and disappointing outcome.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

PrincessKate posted:

Well that was anti-climactic. Boring and disappointing outcome.

I'm okay with it. I think like most of the thread, I was cheering for Julia, but Ben is a cool dude.

Now Ben can buy an even bigger bed.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Ben's down home aw shucks routine and collection of dumb faces are really getting on my nerves

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Ben is cool. I'm okay with him winning because he is not Arthur.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Soothing Vapors posted:

Ben's down home aw shucks routine and collection of dumb faces are really getting on my nerves

I'm sort of relieved Julia didn't win because then someone would've felt compelled to post a wrong opinion like this one about her, and I would have thrown things at said person

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm okay with it. I think like most of the thread, I was cheering for Julia, but Ben is a cool dude.

Now Ben can buy an even bigger bed.

I fast-forward through the interviews so I don't know anything about him from that. He has no personality during the actual game. I don't remember his original run at all and I'll forget him by next week, which is why it's disappointing. I was so hyped on seeing Julia v. Chu!

Julia was just horrible in this last game; I wonder if she was still sick, or if it was nerves. I think it's because she wasn't wearing a sweater :v:

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

PrincessKate posted:

I fast-forward through the interviews so I don't know anything about him from that. He has no personality during the actual game. I don't remember his original run at all and I'll forget him by next week, which is why it's disappointing. I was so hyped on seeing Julia v. Chu!

Julia was just horrible in this last game; I wonder if she was still sick, or if it was nerves. I think it's because she wasn't wearing a sweater :v:

Ben's "lack of personality" during games is one of the things I like most about him. He focuses on making sure to time his buzzes (and do whatever thinking he needs to do on the occasional non-basic trivia question) because he wants to win games and get paid, not have random people fall in love with how quirky he is or whatever. I know the type from various academic quiz shows and real life quizbowl stuff and most people like that tend to be chill as gently caress when they aren't actually competing. If I had to choose between hanging out with my hypothetical conception of Ben or the Arthur I've seen on television, I know which one I'm picking.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I figured out why I remembered Ben. It was because I told the hockey thread some dude that looked like Chris Pronger was kicking rear end on Jeopardy during his original run.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

ElwoodCuse posted:

I figured out why I remembered Ben. It was because I told the hockey thread some dude that looked like Chris Pronger was kicking rear end on Jeopardy during his original run.

Hahaha, awesome.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

PrincessKate posted:

I fast-forward through the interviews so I don't know anything about him from that.

You missed two insanely over-rehearsed speeches about the people of South Carolina, and beds.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

As soon as I saw the FJ category, I knew the answer was going to be either "Oasis" or "The Spice Girls."

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Doug from today's episode looks like a bald Wayne Knight.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
How the gently caress do you NOT get Spice Girls as the answer to that FJ?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

HookShot posted:

I can say that girl groups didn't even enter my mind for some reason. Must have been the comparison to the Beatles.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

A shameful, shameful triple stumper today. Come on, how was that not an instaget? Duran Duran wasn't even in the right decade! And what the hell is Bunny?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

HookShot posted:

I didn't get it due to the Beatles reference since Oasis was being compared to them song wise at the time. I forgot the idea of cultural reference since the spice girls flamed out shortly after their movie.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

zakharov posted:

A shameful, shameful triple stumper today. Come on, how was that not an instaget? Duran Duran wasn't even in the right decade! And what the hell is Bunny?

To be fair, Bunny was clearly a pet name for someone he knows. He gave a little wink at the audience off camera when his answer was read.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I never would have thought that Oasis (or Oaisis) would turn out to be the BEST answer of the three. But come on, did anyone ever know who was in Oasis besides the Gallaghers?

Seriously, can't believe they all missed it.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
It's a really misleading question because there was such a huge push on the "Oasis is the new Beatles" angle when Oasis debuted in the US, but at the same time, as has been pointed out, only Noel and Liam were notable individuals whereas each Beatle and each Spice Girl has a unique identity. Basically it's a lovely question and whomever wrote it is a boner.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice

Punch Card posted:

It's a really misleading question because there was such a huge push on the "Oasis is the new Beatles" angle when Oasis debuted in the US, but at the same time, as has been pointed out, only Noel and Liam were notable individuals whereas each Beatle and each Spice Girl has a unique identity. Basically it's a lovely question and whomever wrote it is a boner.

I don't think it was a lovely question. It was an easy question if you thought about it correctly, as you just explained.

Incidentally, I happened to be reading through a random 2008 game at the j-archive today and was surprised to see that game also included a Spice Girls question (basically, "They performed 'Wannabe' and 'Say You'll Be There'") and nobody in that game knew the answer, either! The lesson is obviously that when you're at a loss on Jeopardy, guess the Spice Girls.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
The 2 day champion who lost yesterday was literally an egg. I can't be the only one who saw that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

jojoinnit posted:

The 2 day champion who lost yesterday was literally an egg. I can't be the only one who saw that

The one who was plain or the one who was bland?