Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

ExecuDork posted:

Thanks for this. I tried to find an MSDS for Silver thiosulfate and got nowhere, despite that being described as the main ingredient in the product sheets for fixer I found. That's weird - normally you can buy ANY chemical that appears as an ingredient in something (food or not-food), and if you can buy it you can get the MSDS for it, which will describe disposal considerations.

Would silver thiosulfate really be an ingredient in fixer? I mean, it sounds more like it would be a result of mixing silver halydes from the paper/film with sodium thiosulfate (which, incidentally, is Hypo).

I've tried my sources and couldn't find a MSDS for it either, not even Sigma sells silver thiosulfate. Kind of weird, honestly.

Thought we could maybe combine the MSDS from silver nitrate and from sodium thiosulfate to try to figure something out? Sodium Thiosulfate shouldn't be thrown in the sink since it can be toxic to fish, and the same can be said about silver nitrate (and I really doubt those effects are either thanks to the sodium or the nitrate). I think fixer is definitely on a "not very good to dump in the sink" category, but we'd have to considerate the concentrations and how diluted a couple of bottles would get in a sewer system to come to any conclusions...

edit: :spergin: about chemistry might not be the best way to start a new page, but eh

Primo Itch fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
My other concern is how many people are dumping "a few liters" down the drain. Yeah it's a drop in the bucket compared to major chemical companies but since I can recycle it why shouldn't I not dump any of anything that "might" be hazardous down a drain?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yes the only silver present in fixer is metallic silver extracted from the emulsion while it's working. It isn't part of the formulation, and afaik. the increasing concentration of silver as the fixer gets used is part of the reason it exhausts.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Anyone recommend any lesser used films that are interesting to use?

As an exchange for that information...Film gear is 15% off right now on KEH if you use the code "film". Not sure how long it'll last.

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 24, 2014

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Just scored an Epson 4990 for cheap, I'm turning into more of a film person every day (for better or worse).

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Primo Itch posted:

Would silver thiosulfate really be an ingredient in fixer? I mean, it sounds more like it would be a result of mixing silver halydes from the paper/film with sodium thiosulfate (which, incidentally, is Hypo).

I've tried my sources and couldn't find a MSDS for it either, not even Sigma sells silver thiosulfate. Kind of weird, honestly.

Thought we could maybe combine the MSDS from silver nitrate and from sodium thiosulfate to try to figure something out? Sodium Thiosulfate shouldn't be thrown in the sink since it can be toxic to fish, and the same can be said about silver nitrate (and I really doubt those effects are either thanks to the sodium or the nitrate). I think fixer is definitely on a "not very good to dump in the sink" category, but we'd have to considerate the concentrations and how diluted a couple of bottles would get in a sewer system to come to any conclusions...

edit: :spergin: about chemistry might not be the best way to start a new page, but eh

nielsm posted:

Yes the only silver present in fixer is metallic silver extracted from the emulsion while it's working. It isn't part of the formulation, and afaik. the increasing concentration of silver as the fixer gets used is part of the reason it exhausts.

I found some databases and did some digging, ending up deep in the Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology, "Silver Compounds". This took me to a 50-page PDF that goes into more detail than almost anybody would want (though I'm sure a few of you spergs would appreciate it) about the entire process from film production to archival storage of film photography. The Encyclopedia is behind an academic paywall, find it yourself if you have access to a university or other institutional library. It's a big enough Thing (this encyclopedia) that I expect you could get the relevant chapters at a public library.

Proper academic-style reference:
Locker, David J. 2000. Photography. Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology.
DOI: 10.1002/0471238961.1608152012150311.a01

Note the publication date of December, 2000 - the Economics section is highly optimistic about a continued dominance of all things Silver by the photo-processing industry, and dismissive of these new-fangled attempts to replicate silver's benefits for images with mere electronics. :v:

The upshot of Fix is that fresh fixative contains no silver, just thiosulfate and buffers to maintain pH. During fixation, silver diffuses from the film into solution and forms argentodithiosulfate, Ag(S2O3)3-2, and argentotrithiosulfate, Ag(S2O3)5-3. These are stable complexes that keep the silver ions safely away from solution - Ag(I) is pretty nasty, but those complexes:

Locker, 2000 posted:

The discharged silver usually is bound in thiosulfate complexes, which are not detrimental to the essential microorganisms in sewage treatment plants. The silver thiosulfate complexes can be converted to insoluble silver sulfide and removed as a solid sludge.

There is considerable talk of ways to recover silver from each step of the process and how it's a really good idea because, as a large factory processing millions of rolls of film per day, the recovery is highly economically favourable. For a home hobbyist with a few litres of partially-exhausted fix, it's probably more trouble than it's worth and the fix won't actually do any damage if poured away. There shouldn't be Sodium Thiosulfate in fixative, because of the well-known toxic properties of it, though the encyclopedia article says:

Locker, 2000 posted:

Most fixing baths are composed of thiosulfate ions formed by dissolving the corresponding sodium or ammonium salt in water.
I found the MSDS for ammonium thiosulfate, it seems to be pretty harmless. So a partially-exhausted fix solution containing a mix of amonium thiosulfate, silver complexes, and buffer, is not hazardous. Don't drink it, obviously, but it's not going to wipe out the fish population of your local river.

Other silver compounds are nasty, but are only involved in photography as industrial precursors to photographic products such as film or developing chemicals. Silver nitrate is the starting point for pretty much all industrial silver chemistry, the ore is processed to solid silver which is then treated with nitric acid under pure oxygen, resulting in AgNO3 that is a ready source of Ag(I) for any other reactions - such as producing AgBr, the main form of silver on film.

8th-snype posted:

My other concern is how many people are dumping "a few liters" down the drain. Yeah it's a drop in the bucket compared to major chemical companies but since I can recycle it why shouldn't I not dump any of anything that "might" be hazardous down a drain?
I've spent too much time on this when I should be working, but I agree in principle: if there's a good way to recover/recycle the silver of fixer I would prefer to do that rather than just dump it.
The encyclopedia mentions several methods, the easiest is probably electrolysis because you end up with metalic silver plated onto an electrode. You can scrape it off and now you've got a few milligrams of metallic silver to play with. Melt it, bury it, whatever, it's out of the water system.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
How do people feel about Ektar? Everyone here seems to go nuts over Portra but I find Ektar to have the most natural tones. It actually looks most the like digital than any other film I've seen. Maybe that's why I hardly see it getting mentioned? :v:

If it weren't for the few specks of dust I didn't clone out, I would have a hard time believing this came out of a 35mm film camera

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

BANME.sh posted:

How do people feel about Ektar? Everyone here seems to go nuts over Portra but I find Ektar to have the most natural tones. It actually looks most the like digital than any other film I've seen. Maybe that's why I hardly see it getting mentioned? :v:

If it weren't for the few specks of dust I didn't clone out, I would have a hard time believing this came out of a 35mm film camera

Ektar looks great when exposed correctly in direct sunlight. It's all the other times it kinda sucks.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

MrBlandAverage posted:

Ektar looks great when exposed correctly in direct sunlight. It's all the other times it kinda sucks.

This. It looks great in the right situation, while portra will look amazing in spite of the situation.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
That could explain why the indoor shots from the same roll as the above image look like poo poo!

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I'm on vacation and my camera broke. I was packing light so didn't bring a backup camera.

I'm going to walk into the Adorama in Manhattan and buy a Contax T xi ASP tomorrow morning to use for the rest of my trip unless you somehow talk me out of it. Are there any other small 35mm point and shoots I should be browsing instead?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The Olympus P&S get lots of love around here. I've got an AF-1 / Infinity that I enjoy, lots of people have XA of various vintage. Buy something cheap that says Olympus on it, lots of film, be happy.

Don't forget batteries.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

mulls posted:

I'm on vacation and my camera broke. I was packing light so didn't bring a backup camera.

I'm going to walk into the Adorama in Manhattan and buy a Contax T xi ASP tomorrow morning to use for the rest of my trip unless you somehow talk me out of it. Are there any other small 35mm point and shoots I should be browsing instead?

Thats an APS film camera isn't it? I can't remember if APS is compatible with standard 35mm.

But I would second a Olympus P&S, specifically the Epic Stylus/mju:ii.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Spedman posted:

Thats an APS film camera isn't it? I can't remember if APS is compatible with standard 35mm.

But I would second a Olympus P&S, specifically the Epic Stylus/mju:ii.

Oh poo poo I think you're right. Their stock of Olympus point and shoots online is pretty slim, and I'm basically stuck with what they have in the store because I'm only in Manhattan another day in this trip. I think it'll have to be a less known brand, like Minox maybe.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Everyone, and I mean *everyone*, seems to love Portra 400 - but I never see anyone talk about 160 or 800. What's the low down on those speeds?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

mulls posted:

Oh poo poo I think you're right. Their stock of Olympus point and shoots online is pretty slim, and I'm basically stuck with what they have in the store because I'm only in Manhattan another day in this trip. I think it'll have to be a less known brand, like Minox maybe.

I just checked Adorama, and they list all of 2 cameras in their 35mm point-and-shoot section. WTF?

Go to a thrift shop, buy a $5 P&S, then go to Adorama and buy some film and a battery. Shoot like it's 1999 1989.

EDIT: Oh, that's their New section. I found their used section. :downs:

EDIT2: I am surprised at their prices. Am I the only one horrified at the list of $50 paperweights (non-functional cameras)?

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 25, 2014

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

I've got some Ektar I played it fast and loose in Death Valley three years ago that looks like abject poo poo. Maybe I should just convert to B&W... :shrug:

Helicity posted:

Everyone, and I mean *everyone*, seems to love Portra 400 - but I never see anyone talk about 160 or 800. What's the low down on those speeds?

Can't speak for 160, but regular Portra 400 pushes so well that I'm surprised they bothered to even formulate an 800.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Helicity posted:

You can shoot 400 at either of those speeds and it'll be fine.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Helicity posted:

As someone who has shot all three (in medium format) extensively:

Portra 160: Very fine grain indeed, greater resolution than 400. Slightly punchier palette, nicer gradation for some colors, but doesn't handle underexposure well at all. If you are face with a contrasty scene, overexpose it, which it usually handles fine with a slight loss of contrast. Can be hard to scan, as it captures a very great dynamic range indeed. 400 Compresses the scene more.

Portra 400: The universal film. Personally I wouldn't like to shoot it much slower than 100-200, because I feel after that depending on other variables like flare, overall scene contrast etc. it will yield images which can get muddy. Grain at 200/400 is only a slight more visible than 160. It handles underexposure like a champ; 800 will basically not be noticeable, 1600 is fine and 3200 is certainly doable without a lab push. I have shot it at 6400 and 12800 as well. (Medium format) However depending on the level of underexposure it will start to push towards green/blue hues, due to how the layers of photosensitive materials are arranged. fluorescencts and "white" LED lighting exacerbate this.

Portra 800: The oldest of the three. And it shows. Grainy but still okay at 800. It has a slightly different palette than the previous two. It doesn't like underexposure and will shift hues. When under exposed color saturation is also increased for primary hues. (CYMK not RGB! 400 doesn't do that.) However, I find that in certain situations it may give you about a stop more of grainy shadow detail than 400 underexposed. This however comes at the expense of overall resolution.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

VomitOnLino posted:

Portra 400: I have shot it at 6400 and 12800 as well. (Medium format)

Got examples of these? I'd be curious how it looked. 800 is indeed noticably grainy in 35mm if you push it even to 1600:

Untitled by Stabby McKnife, on Flickr

and since we're talking crazy pushes, this is Delta 3200 pushed to 12800.

Untitled by Stabby McKnife, on Flickr

I have a bad tendency to shoot nothing at box speed...

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Helicity posted:

Portra 800 is last generation technology and it shows. I'd rather just underexpose 400. I haven't noticed any practical difference between 160 and 400 at box speed other than, obviously, a stop and a half.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~
Okay yeah, just chiming in on the I-Love-Ektar speak.

stroll by Randuin, on Flickr

I haven't really gotten the colors to perfect yet but this is some auto curving and it looks great to me

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I like ektar, the colors are great, but you have to get your exposure perfect or it will look like poo poo.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Alley, Southwest by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Wild EEPROM posted:

I like ektar, the colors are great, but you have to get your exposure perfect or it will look like poo poo.

Gotcha, so only real pros use ektar right? :smug:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

BANME.sh posted:

Gotcha, so only real pros use ektar right? :smug:

The people who use ektar don't post here :smug:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Wild EEPROM posted:

The people who use ektar don't post here :smug:

Good.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
I spam this image a lot, but this is one of my favorite Ektar shots. Near sunset, lots of browns, err on the side of overexposure:
0018_19.jpg by Winston85, on Flickr

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
This is a crazy old image but Ektar looks pretty alright at night as well.

Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Ektar is great; haters gonna hate.

Eastgate by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
You know what film I don't like much, Provia 400x, all I got was mud when I shot that. I think I've still got a roll in the fridge somewhere.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Spedman posted:

You know what film I don't like much, Provia 400x, all I got was mud when I shot that. I think I've still got a roll in the fridge somewhere.

Provia 400x's only redeeming feature was being a slide film you could push to EI 1600, since most labs will on do 2 stops or less on E6 push processing. We just don't need that anymore with Portra 400 being baller and digital sensors owning ISO 3200 and up in color.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Australian Antarctic Division Arts Fellowship is taking applications: https://www.antarctica.gov.au/art

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Helicity posted:

I've been shooting a lot of Portra 160 lately, as someone else mentioned it seems to be a lot less forgiving. If you underexpose it the grain gets pretty ugly and you miss the extra stop shooting hand held at the end of the day. Under good conditions I can't really notice a difference.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Dumb question. You guys talk about shooting 400 speed at 200 or 800 and it being fine. If I was shooting Portra 400 at 200, would I need to do anything else? Is it not going to come out weirdly overexposed and blown out, or do I need to tell the lab I shot it at a different speed?

Can I shoot a roll of 400 at 100-800 all over the place and just have it develop into properly exposed shots because film is magic?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Huxley posted:

Can I shoot a roll of 400 at 100-800 all over the place and just have it develop into properly exposed shots because film is magic?
Pretty much yes. Some labs will push or pull color negative film for you but it is often not necessary (and is usually costly and leads to weird color shifts).

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Huxley posted:

Dumb question. You guys talk about shooting 400 speed at 200 or 800 and it being fine. If I was shooting Portra 400 at 200, would I need to do anything else? Is it not going to come out weirdly overexposed and blown out, or do I need to tell the lab I shot it at a different speed?

Yes, Portra 400 is in fact magic. Yes you can shoot a roll of mixed ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200 and have all pictures on the roll usable.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Sludge Tank posted:

Australian Antarctic Division Arts Fellowship is taking applications: https://www.antarctica.gov.au/art
Did you cross-post this anywhere else? Given the list of signatory countries to the Antarctic Treaty and the Arts Fellowship program's mandate...

AAD Arts posted:

The Fellowship aims to foster understanding of the Antarctic environment and communicate the significance of Australia’s activities there through the work of people gifted in communicating through various media including (but not limited to) the visual arts, film-making, performance, writing, education, and music.
... this would probably fit into a couple of threads in Creative Convention.

Antarctica is awesome and I really want to go. This program is for non-scientists, I am a scientist and I'll figure out a different way to get there. Lots of you are artists, though, and should apply.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

nielsm posted:

Yes, Portra 400 is in fact magic. Yes you can shoot a roll of mixed ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200 and have all pictures on the roll usable.

Someone should do this test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

bobmarleysghost posted:

Someone should do this test.

http://www.twinlenslife.com/2010/12/its-our-favorite-time-of-light-new.html
Near the bottom.