Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

TheModernAmerican posted:

Somehow I got mama's boy with minimum possible speed. I did it and don't understand how it happened. Also, in the same run I beat Mom in 10 minutes and unlocked undefined, again with minimum speed.

I got carried because I was mad and wanted to kill a lovely run fast (Eden with 2 soul hearts and some bland items) so I grabbed a 3 soul heart devil deal and it dropped me to half a soul heart. So I just took the other 2 deals. Is this intended? Or did I have an item I didn't notice?

That's just how it works. similarly, if there's a two red heart item and you only have one red heart (with a soul heart buffer), you can still take it and it won't take any of your soul hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Charming Man
Apr 18, 2010

TheModernAmerican posted:

Somehow I got mama's boy with minimum possible speed. I did it and don't understand how it happened. Also, in the same run I beat Mom in 10 minutes and unlocked undefined, again with minimum speed.

I got carried because I was mad and wanted to kill a lovely run fast (Eden with 2 soul hearts and some bland items) so I grabbed a 3 soul heart devil deal and it dropped me to half a soul heart. So I just took the other 2 deals. Is this intended? Or did I have an item I didn't notice?

Pretty sure this is a glitch. Cobalt was streaming last night and found a black market where everything was 3 soul hearts. Once he was down to half a soul heart he was able to pick up everything else in the market and he reacted like there was no reason that that should have happened so :iiam:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I finally made it to mega satan. It was an intense fight with a frankly pretty underpowered build. BUT I managed to kill him with ONE FREAKING HEART LEFT.

and then I realized he has a second form :negative: :negative: :negative:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kind of? It's the last phase of the fight, after that dies you win. No more gimmicks, no more backing away and calling in minions. Kill him and you win (well kinda, it doesn't actually count as a win on your record).

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Manatee Cannon posted:

Kind of? It's the last phase of the fight, after that dies you win. No more gimmicks, no more backing away and calling in minions. Kill him and you win (well kinda, it doesn't actually count as a win on your record).

that may be so but I was sort of screwed with one heart remaining haha.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Got an... interesting D6 room reroll in Depths.

E: seed is 8S8X VNQ2, played as Eve.

omeg fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 25, 2014

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Genocyber posted:

That's just how it works. similarly, if there's a two red heart item and you only have one red heart (with a soul heart buffer), you can still take it and it won't take any of your soul hearts.

I think it works differently on ???. I took a 3 soul heart deal while I had 3 soul hearts, and I got a game over.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Where is Isaac. What is happening in this gif. help

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Color Printer posted:

Where is Isaac. What is happening in this gif. help

Detached head thanks to Guillotine, some kind of spirit tears + Poptosis + Milk + Parasite (+maybe Polyphemus?), some spider generation, later got Cricket head and became Guppy. A shame I couldn't get to MS.

E: seed is 8S8X VNQ2, played as Eve.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I think it works differently on ???. I took a 3 soul heart deal while I had 3 soul hearts, and I got a game over.

He definitely has special rules. I saw a guy pick up 9 lives and it just set him to 1 spirit heart, based on what it would do for everyone else of 1 red heart + whatever they already had you'd expect either nothing to happen or +1 spirit heart, but nope. I think because all red hearts are spirit hearts the reverse is also sort of considered true for him kinda. You know what I mean.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

that may be so but I was sort of screwed with one heart remaining haha.

Next time you decide to fight him, try and get the Trinity Shield. Most of his attacks throughout the fight can't hurt you (just the shockwave, Brimstone, and his summoned goons) and you are 100% immune to his last phase from what I remember, since I believe he stops using the Brimstone laser once you take out his hands.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

HGH posted:

Guys playing as the Lost is really loving stressful. I find my heart rate going through the roof and the most I've gotten to is Mom. And that's WITH Holy Mantle(granted none of the runs were that good, ???'s Best Friend was my best source of damage so far). Is there any way to ease this somehow?

No, playing as The Lost is God's punishment for Adam and Even eating a loving apple

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Basement 1 Epic Fetus start on Isaac, I check every single shop and reroll all of them but Basement 1's 1-3 times and see 32 non Sharp Plug shop items. Meat Boy/Bandage Girl are more loving bullshit than anything that has to do with The Lost.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I found it easier just to hope for good luck with the Book of Revelations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

I found it easier just to hope for good luck with the Book of Revelations.

In all my Isaac resets I've gotten one Book of Revelations, which went Meat Cube -> Meat Cube -> Meat Cube -> Ball of Bandages. I've gotten like four starting Books of Revelation on The Lost though. Blughuhg

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Book of Revs is a continued dice roll though. There's no room for error--you NEED the book of revs within a certain number of floors and then you NEED a bandage ball/meat cube on every horseman. With the other method there's several ways to do it, and if you get the setup going then it's only a matter of time and patience.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Monster Manual in the chest with D6 and a combo of shop items(and pyromaniac plus bombs if you're real lucky) is the best method, I think. It can take a couple tries but it's not too bad to pull off.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I got the butter bean on floor 1, then found the d6 on floor 2 and rerolled the bean into the holy mantle.
Never give up!

(Then I died to the Haunt because I'm bad.)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Guppy's Paw OP.

Got a half-decent Demolition Man run going that fell apart on Mom and I'm amazed I managed to get through both floors of the Womb after that. I found Guppy's Paw halfway through Utero II with 1 red heart remaining (and 7 total containers). "Huh, this room is on the verge of falling apart." I thought. "Does Guppy's Paw eat hearts or heart containers? Let's experiment."

Turns out it eats containers, and I saw no reason for trading all that health I didn't have for blue soul hearts. I went from "run over" to facing Mom's heart at max HP. :black101:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Edmund is taking community ideas for the expansion. Also of note in there is something about a new game mode.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Anyone got ideas for good challenges? You can make your own if you extract the gamefiles and just put challenges.xml to \resources\

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Jusupov posted:

Anyone got ideas for good challenges? You can make your own if you extract the gamefiles and just put challenges.xml to \resources\

Hyper Suicide King - My Reflection, Ipecac, Loki's Horns, Mom's Eye. Up to the Chest. :getin:

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I'm not sure if this is common knowledge or if WotL was the same, but you can take devil deals worth more than your current amount of hearts and not die, as long as you have soul or sin hearts left.

Got 1 red heart and a few soul hearts? Go ahead and take the 2 heart brimstone deal, you won't die.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Also despite what it says Abaddon will always take all of your red hearts, so take everything else before you take it if you see it in a devil room.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Say what you will about unfairness being a part of roguelikes, the way curse of the blind can suddenly end a run is terrible. It might just be chocolate milk when you have some good tear up items working for you, but who really wants to spend the next 30min furiously mashing their keyboard to shoot every individual tear?

My issue is mainly that there's always some item that can ruin your run. It's not like "Oh I have IPECAC so maybe in this specific case I should be cautious and pass on the treasure room in case it's something like my reflection or mom's eye."

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Pretty sure Curse of the Blind uses a complicated algorithm that calculates exactly the right item to gently caress you over in every case.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

AnonSpore posted:

Hyper Suicide King - My Reflection, Ipecac, Loki's Horns, Mom's Eye. Up to the Chest. :getin:

Replace Ipecac with Dr. Fetus.
And add quad shot and Mr. Mega.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Replace Ipecac with Dr. Fetus.
And add quad shot and Mr. Mega.

Good stuff. Oh, and BFF and Bob's Brain too!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
How about micro suicide king. Just Number One and Bob's Brain.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
A blindfolded challenge where you start with level 3 Meat boy and Bandage girl would be cool, but you'd be screwed against enemies across pits. Maybe start with 99 bombs and flying too?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Bandage Girl can at least shoot.

Speaking of, I was screwed out of finally completing Super Bandage Girl tonight by Conquest. Screw you, Conquest. The White Pony is useless to Azazel.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Poizen Jam posted:

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge or if WotL was the same, but you can take devil deals worth more than your current amount of hearts and not die, as long as you have soul or sin hearts left.

Got 1 red heart and a few soul hearts? Go ahead and take the 2 heart brimstone deal, you won't die.

AnonSpore posted:

Also despite what it says Abaddon will always take all of your red hearts, so take everything else before you take it if you see it in a devil room.

You can also take 2 heart deals with 1 heart and no spirit hearts if the item will give you spirit hearts! And better yet, the HP debt mechanic from WotL is no longer a thing. So here I take fear shot first, then 9 lives bringing me to 1 heart, and finally abaddon. (If I took abaddon first, I couldn't take 9 lives with no red hearts)

Now I still have all 9 lives (because I didn't die taking the last devil deal) and there is no 'health debt' so by picking up magic mushroom I go back up to 1 heart container and get to keep all 6 black hearts as well. Overall, a pretty decent devil deal for basement II!

e: To be clear on the abuse of mechanics, my 4 heart containers matching the sum cost of the devil deal has nothing to do with the result. You could do the exact same deal with only 1 heart container, but that would require dying once and the devil room might not stay open! Usually does though.

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 25, 2014

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
To add to the Dr. Fetus chat, if you find that and Ipecac you fire Bob heads that do immense damage due to Ipecac's damage scaling. Also if you manage to find the Detonator, it makes Dr. Fetus a breeze since you can immediately Spacebar the bomb when you want it to blow.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kaethela posted:

Edmund is taking community ideas for the expansion. Also of note in there is something about a new game mode.

Pretty excited over the idea of an expansion. Though I guess I'll have to get a new Vita memory stick, since I don't even have the space to update the game on it. :v:

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

It's kinda confusing that Infestation 2 creates spiders when your tears hit, while the item that looks like the spider version og the Mulligan spawns spiders when you get hit. (considering it's the other way around for the corresponding fly items)

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

AnonSpore posted:

This with dr fetus went a bit op, don't know what item it was but it made me immune to explosion damage. And the bombs blew up usually as soon as I shot them.

RatHat posted:

A blindfolded challenge where you start with level 3 Meat boy and Bandage girl would be cool, but you'd be screwed against enemies across pits. Maybe start with 99 bombs and flying too?

If you can fly it's easy though, just tried it. Maybe you need to be super slow too?

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

Jusupov posted:

This with dr fetus went a bit op, don't know what item it was but it made me immune to explosion damage. And the bombs blew up usually as soon as I shot them.

Dr. Fetus + Ipecac makes contact bombs that don't hurt you. It's reeeeeal good.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

RatHat posted:

This is both too easy and super boring because Meat boy and Bandage girl are pretty dogged in seeking out enemies. It'd be about as fun as a Daddy Long Legs + Gnawed Leaf challenge.

I think it could be fun if there were more challenges that substantially hosed around with the challenge format. Like a ??? run where he starts with the Dark Bum and Dollar Bill, no item rooms, but double shops every floor and no devil deals.

I'd also like a Sonic the Hedgehog inspired run, but it would necessitate the creation of a new Money = Health item that kills you if you leave a room while holding 0 cents. You could also roll this into the challenge idea I described above too. Stuff that changes meta is more interesting to me than, "here's a run where you start with this item set you probably have already experienced in the regular game." The challenge that added spikes to every door was great for that.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 25, 2014

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

IMJack posted:

Bandage Girl can at least shoot.

Speaking of, I was screwed out of finally completing Super Bandage Girl tonight by Conquest. Screw you, Conquest. The White Pony is useless to AzazelIsaac with Lord of the Pit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

I've noticed that Ultra Pride does not always drop the right hand anymore. I've done the fight twice without the hand dropping, both times I killed Edmund (the big guy) first. Does anyone know if there's a correlation, or if it just has a random chance to drop no matter who you kill first?