Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Before ArcheAge I never believed that I'd go back to WoW after 7 years, but this game was such a disaster that it finally pushed me over the edge. It only took experiencing about a dozen MMO collapses to realize nothing is going to dethrone WoW, and almost everything is going to be killed by it eventually if it doesn't self-destruct first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Most of the recent MMOs have had huge gently caress ups or an extreme lack of foresight. The only ones I can think of that avoided this are Guild Wars 2 and FFXIV 2.0(1.0 was a huge cluster gently caress)

Ridinspinnaz
Jan 29, 2009

Tanreall posted:

We can only hope it serves as a lesson to future MMO development. Although with the trend being awful MMO after awful MMO I highly doubt it'll be the case.

To be honest, it probably isn't really an issue. They likely printed enough money off APEX sales, massive pre order packages and cash shop to make this an incredibly successful pump and dump release of a Korean game, and I'm sure that the localization staff etc cost far less than a traditional development team.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

ruffz posted:

Before ArcheAge I never believed that I'd go back to WoW after 7 years, but this game was such a disaster that it finally pushed me over the edge. It only took experiencing about a dozen MMO collapses to realize nothing is going to dethrone WoW, and almost everything is going to be killed by it eventually if it doesn't self-destruct first.

I've been shopping around for upcoming stuff that meets my nerd criteria. Which is basically poo poo that has good elements similar to UO
UO you owned land, you crafted stuff, and you can mess with the economy. PVP also with crafted gear. Spells and ships too, so you can sail.
However it's really dated.

Archeage brought bunch of the stuff to a Korean design, a lot in similar to UO enough to bring that style of nerd over :swoon:
Then it shat the bed:shrek:

1) Shroud of the Avatar
Made by THE Lord British of UO fame
Costs money to become a patron and get access to their releases (of which I already gave $50 to and got a free $20 added some point)

3D going around 3rd/first person doing stuff. Retains a bunch of UO design choices like using chat (you can click keywords too if they are brought up)
Buncha crafting, and you can own land if you have a shitton of gold (or pay in the patron shop for limited quantity prime plots in big cities for $1000s of dollars. Don't worry though, they are willing to take a monthly payment plan.)

Has a lot of potential with it's unique business model and is made in unity. Bunch of the stuff is croudsourced so you could potentially submit something and get paid in made cash. (also if it doesn't get picked if you're good with assets, you can just sell assets on the unity store for other game makers to buy)

Technically it's more of a single player game with a multiplayer that is basically a MMO. ATM no Offline Single Player, only online.

2) Albion Online
Isometric style 3rd person, cross platform, build in places, mine stuff, and PACK MULES (aka carts) to do transport stuff
Buncha PVP stuff planned, castles, control over areas.

Due to cross platform, they chose a more artistic look (ala TF2/Torchlight style of aesthetics)
Basically the TF2 of UO

Edit: also farming. Tradecarts, farming. No boatstuff in sight at the moment but it's in alpha so we can only hope, especially if it's basically taking a lot of inspiration from UO

Aptly named Albion because Ultima always took place in Britain and Britain = Albion

---

I'd name Everquest Next as something also to check out, but everyone is gonna try that one.

Of course I'm probably also gonna check out WoW sometime in the future unless I get sucked into either of the above just because WoD might add new stuff that makes the last 4/10s of it fun. Cata did the other half years ago

ThndrShk2k fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 25, 2014

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Ridinspinnaz posted:

To be honest, it probably isn't really an issue. They likely printed enough money off APEX sales, massive pre order packages and cash shop to make this an incredibly successful pump and dump release of a Korean game, and I'm sure that the localization staff etc cost far less than a traditional development team.

Oh I know they made money. I was more talking about learning how to make a good game that will last longer than a few months.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
On games I'd like to play but will never happen, I wish someone would copy guild wars 2 and paste it into lineage 2. I'd probably play that game. Archage kinda looked almost like that, but better, so I was following it, but after reading this thread... :cripes:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tanreall posted:

We can only hope it serves as a lesson to future MMO development.

It definitely served as a lesson for future MMO development. The lessons is "jesus christ these idiots will pay for anything so let's ride this gravy train as far as it goes".

Every time a game rips people off with outrageous practices and makes bank doing it that makes future developers more likely to do the same thing, not less.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

atlas of bugs posted:

okay, that helps :unsmith:

was the failure you are talking about "sct"? because he was really nice to me, but if he groomed teenagers for sex i'm willing to believe i was manipulated :smith:

Don't worry, sct didn't groom any teenagers. He was groomed by BFM to be his personal pedo defender. It is entirely possible that he wasn't fully conscious of BFM being pedo scum until the very end, because human brains are dumb.

EVE Online scammers can convince a mark that big red text on all our real newbie material that says "IF YOU PAID TO GET IN YOU WERE SCAMMED" somehow doesn't apply to them, and if they pay the security deposit everything will be fine. Sometimes they are able to go back to the same mark two or three times and get them to hand over more and more stuff, even once the mark is really suspicious and all their pubbie friends are telling them it is an obvious scam, and a moment of googling would reveal an avalanche of scam accusations. Reading the scam forum can start to shake your faith in humanity having any basic sense at all.

BFM is a manipulative rear end in a top hat (see multi-year child grooming) and a veteran EVE player. It is entirely possible that if he was in a separate chat with sct as folks provided accusations and piecemeal evidence that he could deflect or "explain" each individual point as it came along. Nobody wants to believe their buddy is the lowest scum on the planet, so many people would be inclined to believe there must be some misunderstanding, especially when the victim is not around. When the wall of evidence including a statement from the victim was posted there was no way for BFM to wiggle out of it. The human brains that defended BFM are thrown into crisis as good people don't defend pedos, and they are good people, therefore they must never have defended the pedo and so they start re-writing their memories so the bad things didn't happen or had a good explanation. Which works fine for resolving the inner conflict until they share those memories and people around them accuse them of lying.

sct may not be a bad person, just a gullible idiot.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Angela Christine posted:

Don't worry, sct didn't groom any teenagers. He was groomed by BFM to be his personal pedo defender. It is entirely possible that he wasn't fully conscious of BFM being pedo scum until the very end, because human brains are dumb.

EVE Online scammers can convince a mark that big red text on all our real newbie material that says "IF YOU PAID TO GET IN YOU WERE SCAMMED" somehow doesn't apply to them, and if they pay the security deposit everything will be fine. Sometimes they are able to go back to the same mark two or three times and get them to hand over more and more stuff, even once the mark is really suspicious and all their pubbie friends are telling them it is an obvious scam, and a moment of googling would reveal an avalanche of scam accusations. Reading the scam forum can start to shake your faith in humanity having any basic sense at all.

BFM is a manipulative rear end in a top hat (see multi-year child grooming) and a veteran EVE player. It is entirely possible that if he was in a separate chat with sct as folks provided accusations and piecemeal evidence that he could deflect or "explain" each individual point as it came along. Nobody wants to believe their buddy is the lowest scum on the planet, so many people would be inclined to believe there must be some misunderstanding, especially when the victim is not around. When the wall of evidence including a statement from the victim was posted there was no way for BFM to wiggle out of it. The human brains that defended BFM are thrown into crisis as good people don't defend pedos, and they are good people, therefore they must never have defended the pedo and so they start re-writing their memories so the bad things didn't happen or had a good explanation. Which works fine for resolving the inner conflict until they share those memories and people around them accuse them of lying.

sct may not be a bad person, just a gullible idiot.

And yet, they (SCT) have never once come here to refute any claims made or address their comments of "it happened a long time ago" and "it wasn't even in America" except to admit literally that they "tried to sweep it under the rug". That's way more than being a gullible idiot. Maybe his brain spazzed out about it or something, I dunno. I can see that happening.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Widestancer posted:

And yet, they (SCT) have never once come here to refute any claims made or address their comments of "it happened a long time ago" and "it wasn't even in America" except to admit literally that they "tried to sweep it under the rug". That's way more than being a gullible idiot. Maybe his brain spazzed out about it or something, I dunno. I can see that happening.

Yeah, it's possible he's a scumlord, and it's possible he's an idiot. If it was me I wouldn't come here to defend myself either, that never ends well, lol.

Seriously though, if you want to see cognitive dissonance in action, join goonswarm and read the scams section. It is baffling the poo poo average people fall for.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
So apparently you can still use the Flirtatious Flower item to kick people off their carts and run off with them, so if you're looking for something to do have at.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I think the real lessons are that people who played eve are not well liked and think that "eve is a bad game" and "eve players are horrible" are jokes that they make, not things other people say against them.

That and korea can design a game with some bad features the majority of western game makers threw out since they make for a bad game, but a good cash grab, and fool a bunch of western gamers.

DarkStryke
Jun 7, 2006

The lesson is you don't follow the clique show that seems to flow from game to game. Anyone with past game experience that saw what was going on in alpha knew to stay the hell away from the "official" goon guild for that reason. The fact this was one of the worst pump and dump poo poo games I've ever seen released in the last fifteen years of MMO's was just icing on the cake.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
A long long time ago, in a country not even America
The brave Wool Alliance was besieged
By the evil shadow council of the Imp zone

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Third World Reggin posted:

I think the real lessons are that people who played eve are not well liked and think that "eve is a bad game" and "eve players are horrible" are jokes that they make, not things other people say against them.

That and korea can design a game with some bad features the majority of western game makers threw out since they make for a bad game, but a good cash grab, and fool a bunch of western gamers.

100% agreed on the eve poo poo

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

DarkStryke posted:

one of the worst pump and dump poo poo games I've ever seen

Do they even make MMOs that don't fit thisdescription anymore? It seems like every MMO that has come out in forever just totally sucks. The closest to not sucking that MMOs seem to get nowadays is a game that could have been good but wasn't because some dumb bullshit got in the way. Like how Warhammer Online had a pretty decent experience held back at every turn by idiotic management, or how SWTOR had a bunch of cool class stories but since it was stuffed into a loving MMO you had to play a Bioware RPG in the lamest way possible. The best case scenario for new MMOs these days is that whatever hot loving garbage they release at launch eventually gets brought up to the level of "ok I guess" after two years of patching and a F2P conversion.

Like I honestly don't know if any good MMO has come out since WoW. How does a whole genre fail that badly?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Angela Christine posted:

Yeah, it's possible he's a scumlord, and it's possible he's an idiot. If it was me I wouldn't come here to defend myself either, that never ends well, lol.

Seriously though, if you want to see cognitive dissonance in action, join goonswarm and read the scams section. It is baffling the poo poo average people fall for.

Work any customer support job and you won't be surprised by what avg people fall for.

Shy Farting Man
Apr 12, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

Do they even make MMOs that don't fit thisdescription anymore? It seems like every MMO that has come out in forever just totally sucks. The closest to not sucking that MMOs seem to get nowadays is a game that could have been good but wasn't because some dumb bullshit got in the way. Like how Warhammer Online had a pretty decent experience held back at every turn by idiotic management, or how SWTOR had a bunch of cool class stories but since it was stuffed into a loving MMO you had to play a Bioware RPG in the lamest way possible. The best case scenario for new MMOs these days is that whatever hot loving garbage they release at launch eventually gets brought up to the level of "ok I guess" after two years of patching and a F2P conversion.

Like I honestly don't know if any good MMO has come out since WoW. How does a whole genre fail that badly?

Warhammer Online immediately came to mind for me, too. That game had such ridiculous potential but was released only half finished with so many empty, non-working features, and they never even attempted to fix it. They just waited for the license to expire because they knew it would, and only released 'patches' every 6 months.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shy Farting Man posted:

Warhammer Online immediately came to mind for me, too. That game had such ridiculous potential but was released only half finished with so many empty, non-working features, and they never even attempted to fix it. They just waited for the license to expire because they knew it would, and only released 'patches' every 6 months.

I wonder if we'll ever get a good post mortem for them like we did for Lucas Arts. It would probably be a good read.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
archeage is really bad and i regret spending any money on it. oh well

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Fish

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Wool

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

archeage is really bad and i regret spending any money on it. oh well

Eh, it was worth $15 imo but no way I'll come back with a massive repopulation of the servers. Last week was kind of the last straw when we were running around without anyone to pirate and none of the zones were going into peace for at least Eurotruck Sim funtimes.

Now I'm on the WoD train and it is goooood

Dawning Horror
Jun 18, 2009

The real lesson is goons will re-enact the mistakes of goonfleet in every MMO, on an exponentially shortening timeframe. Week 1 of that space-glue making sim is gonna be fun to watch.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Luke Johnson posted:

The real lesson is goons will re-enact the mistakes of goonfleet in every MMO, on an exponentially shortening timeframe. Week 1 of that space-glue making sim is gonna be fun to watch.

I am still laughing at anyone who is buying into that game.

Early access? Yah sure take my money. I can't be trusted with it anyways.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'd never had a really bad experience in a goon guild outside Trion's games, but even Rift was just launch week sperging over server queues and factions.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just read the whole thread. Haha, goddamn

Archage is the best. i'm tempted to join up just to find out how you can possibly get a drama shitstorm kicked up about loving fishing oh man

heres to hoping for many years for all the fine folks involved, im pretty sure some of you are directors in the goonguild of the best game ever star citizen :patriot:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

There are like 5 other threads to read either in mmo hmo, games, imp zone, or the gas chamber.

MMO LMAO and kewpah's imp zone thread "Wilstance and BBG please stop trolling the archeage thread" are two of the better reads.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thanks, I'll go read those. And here I was thinking the one in the gas chamber was the best thing I had read about this game

e:got that imp zone thread bookmarked? search is giving me nothing

lollontee fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 25, 2014

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Friendly Tumour posted:

Thanks, I'll go read those. And here I was thinking the one in the gas chamber was the best thing I had read about this game

e:got that imp zone thread bookmarked? search is giving me nothing

This might be it:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671414

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

That was kewpahs first gold thread, yah.

Here is the other imp zone thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662550&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

This happened at the same time as all the crazy stuff started coming out and parallels so weirdly that we can have a civil conversation in there while the mmo hmo thread breaks down into crazy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

OMG you guys won't believe what antics we've been getting into tonight. You should all log in right away.

we're so lonely

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That was kewpahs first gold thread, yah.

Here is the other imp zone thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662550&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

This happened at the same time as all the crazy stuff started coming out and parallels so weirdly that we can have a civil conversation in there while the mmo hmo thread breaks down into crazy.

Thanks guys! see you on the flipside :c00l:

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Nearly every MMO that's come out in the last 10 years has either tried (and failed) to reproduce the WoW experience, or they tried so hard to be different that people were disappointed they weren't playing WoW, so they went back to the real thing. In my opinion, Warhammer had the best potential out of any game to put a large dent in WoW's subscriber base, but they royally hosed up the release. I just wish I had seen ArcheAge for what it is, prior to buying the $150 Archeum founder's pack and then spending another $60 or so on apex/credits. AA was the last straw for me, and I don't think I'll ever be an early adopter in another MMO. Way too much money and time spent for nothing.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I knew people could learn to be better with their money.

The problem is there is another group of suckers being born.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

WoD and FF14 are about it right now unless you really enjoy wrangling questionable content. Some do.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Widestancer posted:

WoD and FF14 are about it right now unless you really enjoy wrangling questionable content. Some do.

For example, we're still reading your posts.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

glug posted:

For example, we're still reading your posts.

My posts are Halaal and suitable for consumption by the faithful of Allah.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Widestancer posted:

My posts are Halaal and suitable for consumption by the faithful of Allah.

Ins'Allah, they truly have been butchered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Axel Serenity posted:

Now I'm on the WoD train and it is goooood

I haven't kept up with WoW for a long time so every time I see WoD I think it's the World of Darkness MMO and get all excited

Welp :(

• Locked thread