Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Dream House is a magically stupid movie. I haven't had this kind dumb stupid taste in my mouth since The Lovely Bones. Its not too similar but man it has the same gut reaction in me. Oh god that M.Night twist comes halfway and then it just gets goofier AND SECOND TWIST BOO

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

precision posted:

They played the audio from a scene in the first 20 minutes that consists of Miley Cyrus trying to take a shower while her mother, Demi Moore, is taking a bath at the same time and Demi Moore asks "Is that a Brazilian?"

:stare:

The movie is weirder/creepier/worse than you can imagine.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Junkie Disease posted:

Dream House is a magically stupid movie.

How's Maerd House?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Some of the stuff expiring soon.

29th: I Sell the Dead

30th: C.H.U.D.
Helvetica
Dead End Drive-In

Dec. 1st: Five Easy Pieces
Paradise Alley
Night of the Creeps
Monkey Shines
The Vampire Lovers
Audrey Rose
Count Yorga, Vampire
The Serpent and the Rainbow
Scott Joplin
The Sci-Fi Boys
'night, Mother
Never Again
Magic Trip
Lesser Prophets
The Cold Light of Day
House of Voices
Cheech & Chong: Get Out of My Room

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Watch Paradise Alley, Dead End Drive-In and 'Night Mother while you still can.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Watch Paradise Alley, Dead End Drive-In and 'Night Mother while you still can.

ditto The Vampire Lovers, Serpent and the Rainbow, and Five Easy Pieces

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Darthemed posted:

Dec. 1st: Five Easy Pieces

Ouch that's a bummer to lose that one. If you like 70's independent flicks like Easy Rider or early Jack Nicholson films, that one is a must watch. It's a really great film.

edit: one of the best scenes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdIXrF34Bz0

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
C.H.U.D. and Count Yorga would make a good double feature.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

mod sassinator posted:

Ouch that's a bummer to lose that one. If you like 70's independent flicks like Easy Rider or early Jack Nicholson films, that one is a must watch. It's a really great film.

I'll second this. Five Easy Pieces is definitely in my top 5 favorite films. See it ASAP.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Does Farscape noticeably improve from the first two episodes? I'm tempted to dump it because it seems a bit too campy. I don't understand how it ends up looking so cheap - the prosthetics/puppetry is pretty good (Pilot is my favorite part of the show so far), the sets don't look that much worse than the various Star Treks, yet it feels decidedly lower rent. Cinematography/lighting, I guess?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Looking for thriller/action recommendations. I like dredd, the last stand, shooter, and that new Arnold movie sabotage

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Looking for thriller/action recommendations. I like dredd, the last stand, shooter, and that new Arnold movie sabotage

Jack Reacher, Face/Off, Desperado, and then for a totally obvious choice, Total Recall

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

david_a posted:

Does Farscape noticeably improve from the first two episodes? I'm tempted to dump it because it seems a bit too campy. I don't understand how it ends up looking so cheap - the prosthetics/puppetry is pretty good (Pilot is my favorite part of the show so far), the sets don't look that much worse than the various Star Treks, yet it feels decidedly lower rent. Cinematography/lighting, I guess?

Yes, but the quality will always vary hugely. When it's good has some of the best episodes on television. When it's bad it's a straight-faced muppets in space.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Jack Reacher, Face/Off, Desperado, and then for a totally obvious choice, Total Recall

Face off is in my top ten all time favorites. I'll check out the other ones

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Face off is in my top ten all time favorites. I'll check out the other ones

man if you haven't seen Total Recall before i'm seriously jealous, especially if you liked those other Arnold movies.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Never watch Jack Reacher.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

man if you haven't seen Total Recall before i'm seriously jealous, especially if you liked those other Arnold movies.

I watched it in like 2007 when Netflix was still DVDs based but I remember zero of it

Edit actually I think I rented it from blockbuster online. Yeah

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 25, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

a foolish pianist posted:

Never watch Jack Reacher.

quiet, turd

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I'll watch it. Wackiness aside I don't hate Tom cruise unlike the rest of the internet

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

A MIRACLE posted:

I'll watch it. Wackiness aside I don't hate Tom cruise unlike the rest of the internet

Oh, it's not Tom Cruise's fault the movie is terrible. It's the writing. Jack Reacher is a pathetic and transparently-ridiculous male power fantasy with zero virtues. It's something that'll make you alternate between cringing and rolling your eyes.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Oh, it's not Tom Cruise's fault the movie is terrible. It's the writing. Jack Reacher is a pathetic and transparently-ridiculous male power fantasy with zero virtues. It's something that'll make you alternate between cringing and rolling your eyes.

The books are written by a British man and are a transparent satire of American male power fantasies.

The movie follows the same suit, and I feel bad for anybody who can't recognize and appreciate this.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

david_a posted:

I have http://skippable.tumblr.com/post/97870257012/farscape bookmarked for when I finally get around to watching that show.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The books are written by a British man and are a transparent satire of American male power fantasies.

The movie follows the same suit, and I feel bad for anybody who can't recognize and appreciate this.

I'm pretty sure you're being over-generous to both Lee Child and the film. Next, you're going to tell me that Dean Koontz is just parodying horror novels.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

I have http://skippable.tumblr.com/post/97870257012/farscape bookmarked for when I finally get around to watching that show.

Holy poo poo this tumblr is going to save my life thank you.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Scream 4 is actually pretty fun. I'm only halfway through but I am really enjoying it so far.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Scream 4 is actually pretty fun. I'm only halfway through but I am really enjoying it so far.

Yeah I don't understand the hate. I thought it was almost on par with the first, making good use of how much the genre has changed. If they hadn't made 2 & 3, waited a decade and just did this one, I bet it would have been received much better.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jack Reacher is a better movie than you expect, but it is a totally and utterly vile movie. It's well shot and well performed, it also happens to be deeply and thoroughly misogynistic. The weakest thing about it really is the source material.

There's an action scene involving Tom Cruise and a bathtub and there's just this subtle momentary look of "really, am I loving doing this?" that flashes across his face that's so natural and so perfect.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

Yeah I don't understand the hate. I thought it was almost on par with the first, making good use of how much the genre has changed. If they hadn't made 2 & 3, waited a decade and just did this one, I bet it would have been received much better.

I am having a blast and the only thing unoriginal about this one is that it is self-aware. I think they found plenty of new ground to cover. Plus I am enjoying the hell out of the evolving relationships between all the old characters. Honestly, I hope Scream 5 comes out ten years from now.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Lee Child's books are certainly throwbacks. Very pulp, morally ambiguous, definitely sexist. I know this because I picked up the first one, Killing Floor, in January. And I finished the 18th one in March.
Each book is 300 pages long and plays out like an episode of The Incredible Hulk or The Littlest Hobo. They're not big, and they're not clever.

The film isn't without merit, although Cruise is literally a foot too short for the role. Werner Herzog was creepy, the fight scenes well handled and there's a very visceral car chase.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

outy posted:

The film isn't without merit, although Cruise is literally a foot too short for the role. Werner Herzog was creepy, the fight scenes well handled and there's a very visceral car chase.

Yes, the action set pieces are pretty good, but that's about all the movie has going for it. Of course, some of them, like the aforementioned bathtub fight scene are just loving weird and out of place tonally.

Really though, it's as if the writer decided that, since the audience knows the hero is going to prevail, he might as well save himself the trouble of writing conflict or character development. Reacher knows exactly what happened the moment he shows up, and the entire investigation is essentially window dressing to move from one dick-punching scene to the next. There's this ridiculous scene about halfway into the movie where Reacher writes something on a piece of paper, then lets Rosamund Pike figure out the mystery by herself, only to then reveal that he had written the name of the responsible party. It's as if someone decided that Pike needed to be shown as a competent lawyer without questioning the notion that Reacher is always the smartest guy in a room.

Speaking of Pike, she was loving hung out to dry by this director, somehow managing to be the weakest link in a chain of weak links.

e: The film also features one of the most unintentionally uncomfortable shirtless scenes in recent memory.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 25, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Scream 4 is definitely better than it has any right to be, I kind of hated 2 and 3 but 4 was pretty good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
What are some good Christmas-but-not-too Christmas movies (e.g. Trading Places) on Netflix? Probably gonna watch a few of those at a friend's place this weekend and Die Hard and Lethal Weapon have sadly been off of netflix for years.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

lifg posted:

Yes, but the quality will always vary hugely. When it's good has some of the best episodes on television. When it's bad it's a straight-faced muppets in space.

The best part about Farscape is the ludicrous levels of plot contrivances. Basically you ask your self "is this seriously happening?" every episode. It's escalating nonsense.

Like Star Trek has a lot of out there plots, but ultimately it's a little grounded, but Farscape just goes out there and never returns.

Highlights
  • Main villian seeks to eat the brains of the protagonist to steal his memories
  • When this fails, he then seeks to eat the brains of his fetal offspring (while still in the womb to get his memories)
  • The invention of powers in characters to solve plots they couldn't figure out how to end, one girl can stop time, which comes out of nowhere, and another girl just has an ability that kills all the bad guys. Like they are stuck in a dead end and she's just like "wait I can just glow and they all die"
  • Their ship gives birth to a baby ship which they have to fight
  • A plantbased character that orgasms from solar flares

That's just a few. It's a good watch, but seriously it's out of control.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Maybe I'm in the minority but I really don't get the all the praise that Twin Peaks gets. I watched all of the first season waiting for it get better, but I don't think I could force myself to watch the second.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Well I watched about 1.5 hours of Jack Reacher before calling it. It just didn't grab me in a way that made me care about the conclusion. I started watching Arachnophobia this morning and it's awesome so far.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

A MIRACLE posted:

Well I watched about 1.5 hours of Jack Reacher before calling it. It just didn't grab me in a way that made me care about the conclusion. I started watching Arachnophobia this morning and it's awesome so far.

I like to think of Jack Reacher as a sequel to A Few Good Men.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Daedra posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority but I really don't get the all the praise that Twin Peaks gets. I watched all of the first season waiting for it get better, but I don't think I could force myself to watch the second.

It's very Lynchian, so if you're not into that it's a tough sell from the get-go. And while being far ahead of its time in many ways, particularly production-value-wise (shooting on film rather than tape, serialized drama at a time when procedurals or semi-procedurals were the norm, a film director working in television at a time when tv was definitely considered second-class and kind of slumming it), these things - in large part due, at least partly, to Twin Peaks - are now considered de rigeur and so aren't the revelation they were in 1989.

There really hadn't been any kind of show that blended mystery, humor, and the supernatural together in an ongoing storyline that, in those pre-TiVo days, insisted you watch every episode every week as it aired ... unless you want to go way back to, say, Dark Shadows or maybe Dr Who, both of which were campier and cornier than TP even at its worst.

But at the end of the day, if you don't find the central mystery compelling, or the townsfolk, or Special Agent Dale Cooper (one of the all-time great tv characters), then your tastes are simply a complete mismatch for the show.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm not necessarily trying to change your mind, but the conclusion is where all the Werner Herzog is.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Daedra posted:

What do you not get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Whoa what the hell is Werner Herzog doing in Jack Reacher? Might have to watch it just for that.

Can I just skip to the end?

• Locked thread