Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Do the cooldown modules have any effect on heat generation? It would seem that increasing your rate of fire on already hot weapons wouldn't have much effect as you'd be constrained by over heating? These things didn't exist last time I played though so I'm clueless.

I'm just getting back into it but I think your burst is generally more important than your sustained firepower, since with a high burst you can knock something down before it has time to shoot back much. Once you kill something you often can pause for a moment to cool off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

In a characteristically :pgi: twist, Russ first teases/announces that they'll let people pick up and have a second go at this past weekend's event, and then an hour later realizes that the functionality doesn't exist and that "it's not worth running again". Womp womp.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm starting to think that PGI and Trion are secretly the same company and everyone who works there has an alias. The shenanigans they get in to just feel so similar.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So I did something dumb and bout a Jenner JR7-K after owning bones in a JR7-F(C) and being slightly intoxicated. Does anyone have a fun hit and run laser loadout for this thing in a language that a newbie can understand?

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Maybe 4 medium pulse lasers? That's what I do. With that you can go max speed, have plenty of armor, and still have (some) jump jets. It's sorta hot, but at least it lets you go fast, drop in some pinpoint damage, and get the gently caress out.

Getting out is the important bit. Don't stick around.

Don't feel bad about spending Robit Resources while drunk. If you're not spending your robobux under the influence you're not playing the game right.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Try 4 medium lasers and a narc. Narc and alpha with the lasers a couple of times, then let your team mates with lrms do all the rest of the work.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

novaSphere posted:

In a characteristically :pgi: twist, Russ first teases/announces that they'll let people pick up and have a second go at this past weekend's event, and then an hour later realizes that the functionality doesn't exist and that "it's not worth running again". Womp womp.

This is fantastic. At this point it's exactly what I expect from the folks that are in charge of this game.

Godspeed you crazy dude. Godspeed.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Apparently you can gift things to others now?

https://mwomercs.com/gifts

Yeah one of you Goon Romneys pick me up that Wrath pack Thanks!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Lonjon posted:

Maybe 4 medium pulse lasers? That's what I do. With that you can go max speed, have plenty of armor, and still have (some) jump jets. It's sorta hot, but at least it lets you go fast, drop in some pinpoint damage, and get the gently caress out.

Getting out is the important bit. Don't stick around.

Don't feel bad about spending Robit Resources while drunk. If you're not spending your robobux under the influence you're not playing the game right.

It won't let me fit more than 3 per arm :saddowns:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Tusen Takk posted:

I can't mess with the loadout, but I have 8.5mil cbills towards purchasing one. How much does that loadout cost?

After buying your first Stormcrow you can buy the individual sections of the other variants for about 250K per piece. You can then build most of the builds people mention for it without any problem. The only thing is that you need to buy the other two variants to unlock the elite skills. The Stormcrow luckily doesn't need those per say. Even with just the basics it's good.

I tried 5x streak srm 6 yesterday. I think I made a locust pop in one alpha. :v:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Mindblast posted:

After buying your first Stormcrow you can buy the individual sections of the other variants for about 250K per piece. You can then build most of the builds people mention for it without any problem. The only thing is that you need to buy the other two variants to unlock the elite skills. The Stormcrow luckily doesn't need those per say. Even with just the basics it's good.

I tried 5x streak srm 6 yesterday. I think I made a locust pop in one alpha. :v:

He meant he can't mess with the loadout of his trial mech.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

ArchangeI posted:

He meant he can't mess with the loadout of his trial mech.

I'm well aware of this. From what I understand he is new to the game and this would have been his first clan mech. What's wrong with additional information?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Tusen Takk posted:

I really like this little SCR-Prime that's on trial, it's small, fast, and I can hang out in the back shooting lasers

Honestly the stock loadout is pretty drat good. The meta build for the SCR prime is actually just the stock loadout but tweaked.

The SCR-C and D need some pretty big changes though, and going with the SRMs+lasers route will not disappoint you.

If you pick up the SCR-C someday put an LB20 and some SRMs on there, and hurt people. It's pretty much a can opener for mechs.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Mindblast posted:

I'm well aware of this. From what I understand he is new to the game and this would have been his first clan mech. What's wrong with additional information?

Because telling a new player to change the loadout of the trial mech might lead to unneeded frustration when its not possible?

It should also be noted that IS trial mechs are generally the champion variants, and any experience gained in them only applies if you buy the champion variant with real money.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

ArchangeI posted:

Because telling a new player to change the loadout of the trial mech might lead to unneeded frustration when its not possible?

He was thinking about buying the actual mech.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tusen Takk posted:

It won't let me fit more than 3 per arm :saddowns:

You've got two arms on that thing. Put two in each arm and you should be at a total of four.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tusen Takk posted:

So I did something dumb and bout a Jenner JR7-K after owning bones in a JR7-F(C) and being slightly intoxicated. Does anyone have a fun hit and run laser loadout for this thing in a language that a newbie can understand?

JR7-K - Narc and Run: This build should let you make quick passes, hitting mechs on your way past and narcing them if you team has LRM's. If you are playing in a group queue, tell people you are going to do this before the drop, so people can bring LRM's to mesh with you. You can trade a ton of narc ammo for more jump jets.

JR7-K - X-Wing Never stop running, and you should have enough heat capacity to dump a good amount of damage in. Don't fight other lights, but if you can, hit their legs on the way past. If you find escape is an issue, drop a heatsink for more jump jets.

All the general rules about running a light mech apply:
  • Always be flanking, never hit head on
  • Don't stop
  • Tap your JJ's to execute quick turns.
  • Fire at fatties asses, get them to turn around. Distract them.
  • Complete your pass by getting behind cover and cooling down. Don't stick around.
  • Radar deprivation is a great module for a light.

There are also 'advanced' tips:
  • Use X to stop, not S. You'll stop much faster. This is for quickly hiding behind something.
  • Constantly tapping your JJ's will confuse the server a bit, and let you 'dodge' damage. It will also make you do less damage, though.
  • Work with your team on a single attack strategy (butt shooting, drumsticking), it's way more effective to work together.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Also, as always, communication is key. A great strategy can be to kite enemy mediums and faster heavies away from their assaults and into your blob, then double back to gently caress with the assaults while your blob goes to work. However, this can also backfire horribly if your blob is already engaged and don't know you're coming and bringing friends. Don't invite friends to your blob party without telling them first.

Do get things to turn around once the blob party starts. Forcing assaults to choose between getting their back stripped and cored by a locust running circles behind them or turning around and exposing back and sides to the blob is awesome. Most lights pack enough firepower to gently caress up stupid assaults, too. A locust-3m with 5 SPL can eat the back of a Warhawk in like 5 volleys.

Edit: also always remember, a good light pilot can get kills and wreck poo poo. A great light pilot can carry even after the team is wiped. But the best light pilots never get a chance to do this because they scouted early and disrupted the other team enough that they rolled right over.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 25, 2014

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Lonjon posted:

You've got two arms on that thing. Put two in each arm and you should be at a total of four.
Yikes, how drunk was I :eyepop:

EoRaptor posted:

JR7-K - Narc and Run: This build should let you make quick passes, hitting mechs on your way past and narcing them if you team has LRM's. If you are playing in a group queue, tell people you are going to do this before the drop, so people can bring LRM's to mesh with you. You can trade a ton of narc ammo for more jump jets.

JR7-K - X-Wing Never stop running, and you should have enough heat capacity to dump a good amount of damage in. Don't fight other lights, but if you can, hit their legs on the way past. If you find escape is an issue, drop a heatsink for more jump jets.

All the general rules about running a light mech apply:
  • Always be flanking, never hit head on
  • Don't stop
  • Tap your JJ's to execute quick turns.
  • Fire at fatties asses, get them to turn around. Distract them.
  • Complete your pass by getting behind cover and cooling down. Don't stick around.
  • Radar deprivation is a great module for a light.

There are also 'advanced' tips:
  • Use X to stop, not S. You'll stop much faster. This is for quickly hiding behind something.
  • Constantly tapping your JJ's will confuse the server a bit, and let you 'dodge' damage. It will also make you do less damage, though.
  • Work with your team on a single attack strategy (butt shooting, drumsticking), it's way more effective to work together.
This is great advice, and I figured out that if you hold F while moving it's basically like any FPS running, which makes strafing a little easier as well.

Paramemetic posted:

Also, as always, communication is key. A great strategy can be to kite enemy mediums and faster heavies away from their assaults and into your blob, then double back to gently caress with the assaults while your blob goes to work. However, this can also backfire horribly if your blob is already engaged and don't know you're coming and bringing friends. Don't invite friends to your blob party without telling them first.

Do get things to turn around once the blob party starts. Forcing assaults to choose between getting their back stripped and cored by a locust running circles behind them or turning around and exposing back and sides to the blob is awesome. Most lights pack enough firepower to gently caress up stupid assaults, too. A locust-3m with 5 SPL can eat the back of a Warhawk in like 5 volleys.

Edit: also always remember, a good light pilot can get kills and wreck poo poo. A great light pilot can carry even after the team is wiped. But the best light pilots never get a chance to do this because they scouted early and disrupted the other team enough that they rolled right over.

Thanks guys, I played approximately 20 matches last night and it was great fun. After the cadet bonuses, the cash flow kind of sucks but with all the trials that's pretty fine.

Oh I should mention, I'm Tusen Takk on MWO as well so if someone could point me to the Goon Platoon that would be greattttt

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 25, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Tusen Takk posted:

Thanks guys, I played approximately 20 matches last night and it was great fun. After the cadet bonuses, the cash flow kind of sucks but with all the trials that's pretty fine.

PGI is really committed to having lovely income for players and forcing them to either grind ridiculously or buy premium time. And you weren't even around for the first 3 income nerfs so it's not as bad for you.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

The recent change to rewards have increased my overall income, for whatever that's worth. It's still a pale shade of what cash flow used to be, but it's a little better. It's still very F2P grindy, though.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Yep the grind is real, also if you want the Warhawks they are available for cbills today. For only 47 mil cbills you can have all three!

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TeeMerk posted:

Yep the grind is real, also if you want the Warhawks they are available for cbills today. For only 47 mil cbills you can have all three!

Get in!

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Dear lord. The clan rhino is here, and it's mad.

EDIT: Also back armor is for scrubs. Face forward forever.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Which Stormcrow should I buy? the SCR-Prime or the SCR-D? It looks like the prime has less armour than the -D and not as good base heat mitigation or whatever it's called

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Tonight will feature me getting the money to start on Thunderbolts and then eating up a heavy spot being ineffectual. Probably griping about my top speed every single match, also.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Tusen Takk posted:

Which Stormcrow should I buy? the SCR-Prime or the SCR-D? It looks like the prime has less armour than the -D and not as good base heat mitigation or whatever it's called

You can put whatever armor you want on it, though. And you're comparing 3 ERLL to 2 LRM-20's? Of course one of those will run hotter.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

Stormcrows CTs are identical. So buy whichever comes with the most gear you plan on using straight away. Prime and the D have the most useful omnipods. You will want both eventually. I would probably get the prime and buy the D torso pods.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

mashed_penguin posted:

Stormcrows CTs are identical. So buy whichever comes with the most gear you plan on using straight away. Prime and the D have the most useful omnipods. You will want both eventually. I would probably get the prime and buy the D torso pods.
Prime it is!
5mil more cbills to grind :ohdear:

Finster Dexter posted:

You can put whatever armor you want on it, though. And you're comparing 3 ERLL to 2 LRM-20's? Of course one of those will run hotter.

I am dumb.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Paramemetic posted:

Tonight will feature me getting the money to start on Thunderbolts and then eating up a heavy spot being ineffectual. Probably griping about my top speed every single match, also.

The Thunderwub is getting a nerf, btw

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

The Thunderwub is getting a nerf, btw

Link, so I can be sad?

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Iron Tusk posted:

Link, so I can be sad?

I think this is what is being referenced. I don't really reddit.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Russ's just said it's getting a "tweak", whatever that means, but it will probably not be in an upwards direction.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

It's considerably more effective at the same role as the AC20 Jager/Catapult and you know PGI hates those. Too bad the 5SS will probably get a nerf and the other Thunderbolts will barely be touched, leaving it as a bottom-of-the-barrel option once again. Isn't the Hellbringer coming out soon? An ECM-capable Clan Heavy seems like stiff competition.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I just finished my cadet phase, and am ready to buy a mech. I mostly used the Dire Wolf as my trial mech, as I like that play style where you're heavily armed/armored and are in the middle of all the action. I got pretty decent with the AC/5s, ER large lasers, and LRMs, and liked that I could hit people at all ranges. Anyone got any suggestions for some heavy or assault builds? My budget is only 9.5 million credits, and so far I've been looking at the Catapult K2 (I like those high weapon mounts), the Cataphract 4x, and the Dragon 1N.

Here's a Dragon 1N build I just did:

DRG-1N

But it seems kind of weak, and I'm not even sure what range I should be aiming for with maximum sustained DPS and cooling efficiency.

And now, have some music for your playing pleasure. This guy recreated old Mechwarrior soundtracks and also made some original Mechwarrior-inspired stuff, and it's great for giant robot death battles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEVb_HQuxQA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xf0j_cbJMA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCyb2i0OMes

The new menu music for Hawken is good too (video's quiet, turn it up):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEm3jct7X58

And for the people who were posting Lazerhawk and Perturbator stuff earlier, here's some more music you might like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnDutViIj-8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5-mD6Dy7c0

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

You should consider dropping the Medium Pulse and really consider upgrading that engine as soon as you can afford it. A standard 210 barely cuts it on anything, let alone a 60-ton heavy whose primary identity has always been having a quick pace compared to others in its class. Unless you're really not confident with using an XL Engine (which you should learn to, since it's a Dragon), get an XL 300 in there.

XL 300s also have the side effect of also being one of the handiest engines to have on-hand, which you can recycle into other builds to save a lot of money down the line.

What did you like most about AC/5 and LLas builds on Heavies? Focus on those core strengths that drew you to that playstyle and build around that.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 26, 2014

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
My Dragon-1N looks like this:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=10&l=2fca869b10a8b3a0644ca11302e8e7c1dc850ad4
It has an XL320 and 5 tons of AC5 ammo, a single DHS in the engine and a single ER Large Laser. I tried running this mech with an XL300 and more ammo, but I noticed that I die a lot more often because I'm slower or get my arm shot off long before my ammo is even used up. The XL320 gives me that extra bit of speed so I can sneak in and out of cover quickly (96kph after speed tweak).

In general an XL300 is the one engine you want to own because it goes into so many good builds, but I prefer this particular build with a 320. XL320 is not worth buying on its own though, I think I pulled mine out of another mech.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
A little late, but...

ArchangeI posted:

It should also be noted that IS trial mechs are generally the champion variants, and any experience gained in them only applies if you buy the champion variant with real money.

Any experience gained in them applies to the base variant too. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Glad I read this before I committed to ThunderWub. So I want to diversify my IS holdings so I can bring something semi-useful come CW. Mainly I am in lights and mediums at the moment. I have Jenners, Firestarters, Locusts, Hunches, the 3L, 3M, and a Stalker. Those are my IS holdings.

I would like to break into heavies - history has taught me that I am awful in assaults and a waste of team resources, but I could probably heavy OK.

I was thinking Tbolts just because I was told they were worth bringing, but now I am not so sure until I see what the nerf is.

Clearly, I have the Need for Speed.

I have done Cataphracts in the past but I'm not very good in them, I had a 4X back when they were OP in the BeforeTimes, but sold it for mechbay space when I was spacepoor coming back to the game.

I have a thing for dong shaped robots, so I enjoy Catapults.

I'm told there is one good Dragon variant, but I'm hesitant to commit to leveling the chassis if it's not actually good.

I'm told Onions might be decent? Experience tells me Quickdraws are poo poo, and Jagers are supposedly good but maybe not anymore? IDK inform my Cbill mech purchase decisions please, goons.

• Locked thread