Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I NEVER STOPPED BELIEVING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

PS4. FINALLY. YES. :swoon:

Also I'm digging the that trailer. Pretty nice music/set-pieces! Gonna mentally block out that quick scene that looked like Blight Town Scaffolding 2.0.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Tracula posted:

That's what I'm curious about. It basically sounds like the Game of the Year Edition with a bit of extra content tacked on as well. I'm gonna be pissed if I basically have to buy it again but if they upgrade it to existing owners that'd be cool.

They said that these features would be given to existing Dark Souls II owners as a patch so I don't think that's the case. You'd probably have to buy it again if you want to jump from PS3 to PS4 for instance though, and hopefully they have some sort of discount for that.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Proposition Joe posted:

I wonder how much the PS4 version is going to cost and how much additional content is actually included.

More information seems to be available here: Link

From the sound of it, they're fixing lore and soul memory is toast. I'm guessing there is also more to it though, especially because there seems to be new enemy/mob placements in he trailer.

quote:

Increase in maximum online players in single session (6 total).
Hot drat

Geop posted:

PS4. FINALLY. YES. :swoon:

Also I'm digging the that trailer. Pretty nice music/set-pieces! Gonna mentally block out that quick scene that looked like Blight Town Scaffolding 2.0.
That area is actually not too long and much more tolerable than Blighttown, and doesn't have the framerate issues Blighttown did too.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/25/7278217/dark-souls-2-ps4-xbox-one-release-date

Oh god look at that picture with the spiders at the bottom of the article :gonk:

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

Manatee Cannon posted:

Oh gently caress yes. Kinda weird that it's gonna be released after Bloodborne, but I'm really glad to see they're continuing to support this game. I really doubt this is gonna be covered by the season pass, but I wonder if this will be the actual final DLC or the first in a line of new ones with a new pass to go with them?

PS4 version is either gonna be $60 USD or $40. No cheaper, and let's be honest now it's gonna be $60. I'd say there's a 50/50 chance on it coming with the DLC, maybe it'll be a GOTY type thing if the game wins a bunch of awards at the end of the year.

Sounds like owners of the PC version will get the content according to this facebook post.

quote:

All versions of the game will include the following features (Existing Dark Souls II owners will receive a patch to implement these elements):

Additional NPCs added for an enhanced story experience.
Parameter adjustments for improved game balance.
Augmented item descriptions.
Improved online matchmaking functionality.

Edit: Proposition Joe beat me to it.

Double edit: Quote from Polygon.

quote:

Those improvements will also be available for the PC release of Scholar of the First Sin, which takes advantage of DirectX 11 for Windows.

So I guess previous owners will get the new content but if we want the new graphics engine we'll have to pay again :(

evilskillit fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 25, 2014

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
According to Joystiq, if you already own the game then you can update to Scholar of the First Sin for free.

So it sounds like:
If you own the PS3 or 360 version, you'll get the new content and rebalancing for free. You probably won't get the lost crowns trilogy though if you don't have it.
If you own the PC version, you'll get the new content, rebalancing, and visual updates all for free. Same as above.
You can, however, also just buy the game for the PS4 or Xbone, which will include the Lost Crowns Trilogy, updated visuals, new content, and rebalances. Thing is you have to actually buy this version.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
So that means if I pick up the DLC season pass for PC on the cheap from some Christmas sale it'll be the same as these PS4/XBO "remasters"? Sounds like a good deal to me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That's awesome. I'm really excited for this PC update. Definitely a fantastic reason to go back to Dark Souls 2 post Bloodborne.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Rukus posted:

So that means if I pick up the DLC season pass for PC on the cheap from some Christmas sale it'll be the same as these PS4/XBO "remasters"? Sounds like a good deal to me.

That's my understanding of it, but Bamco is really really bad at being explicit about these kinds of things, and after reading the Polygon article, they make it sound like you have to purchase the updated visuals (though not the rest.)

At no point does it sound like you have to buy an entirely new version for the PC, though. If you have to buy anything, it'll probably just be the DirectX 11 update sold as DLC.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
So this kind of puts an end to the speculation of future DLC, yeah?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
It's probably pretty telling that i wouldn't mind paying again just to get the announcement trailer textures and lightmaps back. Someone has to have that ancient build still lying around right?

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

It's probably pretty telling that i wouldn't mind paying again just to get the announcement trailer textures and lightmaps back. Someone has to have that ancient build still lying around right?

Japanese devs in the past were notorious for deleting everything from the previous project and starting their new game from scratch. Here's hoping they've changed their ways since then.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Honestly i'm rather sure those areas were deliberately high detailed for the trailer capture, so i assume those nice looking assets only exist in those spots and they didn't have to delete anything unseen for their "oops those consoles have that little vram??" pass.

So what i'm wishing for almost certainly never existed in the first place.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

What the gently caress was that thing at 0:58, I beat this game 5 times now and never seen it I think.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Zedd posted:

What the gently caress was that thing at 0:58, I beat this game 5 times now and never seen it I think.

New enemy I'm fairly sure. If you look at 1:08 theres a guardian dragon at a new place as well.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Also new chest event. Includes the bloody club and all three original reskins.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
AWESOME :pcgaming:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
To be honest, I'm not seeing any graphical update in that trailer. Regardless, I'm happy and surprised about the news. It's technically not new DLC, so, in the end, I was right :colbert:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

To be honest, I'm not seeing any graphical update in that trailer. Regardless, I'm happy and surprised about the news. It's technically not new DLC, so, in the end, I was right :colbert:

If it makes vanilla content harder it's better than DLC honestly.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

This is not quite correct. You are not reading it properly.

Basically, you get the updated story and so on if you own the original DS2.

However, you do NOT get the graphical updates or the updates to online multiplayer. Those are exclusive to the separate DirectX 11 version of the game.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

However, you do NOT get the graphical updates or the updates to online multiplayer. Those are exclusive to the separate DirectX 11 version of the game.

The question is whether people who already own the title on PC will get the DX11 version free, discounted, or if they'll have to pay full price for it. They've said nothing on that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The question is whether people who already own the title on PC will get the DX11 version free, discounted, or if they'll have to pay full price for it. They've said nothing on that.

Hahaha if you think you'll get it free

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Looks like there is a dragon near Heide Tower.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Hakkesshu posted:

Hahaha if you think you'll get it free

Right. There is basically no shot of a free upgrade.

There would be absolutely no point to keeping the DX9 version and its completely separate matchmaking if this were the case.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It says it'll be free for people who already have DS2 like twice in the Polygon article :geno:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/25/7278217/dark-souls-2-ps4-xbox-one-release-date

quote:

Those improvements will also be available for the PC release of Scholar of the First Sin, which takes advantage of DirectX 11 for Windows.

Dark Souls 2's new game content, augmented item descriptions and gameplay improvements, which From Software is calling version 1.1.0 of the title, are also coming to PS3, Xbox 360 and the DirectX 9 version of the Windows PC game. Players of those versions will get the 1.1.0 update free of charge. The Scholar of the First Sin re-release will also be available for PS3 and Xbox 360.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

Right. There is basically no shot of a free upgrade.

There would be absolutely no point to keeping the DX9 version and its completely separate matchmaking if this were the case.

Uhm, yeah, there would, as not every Dark Souls II owner on PC has a card capable of running the game in DX11 mode.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I'll say it again.

What is free is the content itself.

What is almost definitely not free is the engine upgrade to DX11 and all of its attendant upgrades.

Notice how it specifically mentions the "DirectX9 version."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The wording is pretty poor so really it could mean either. If that is true, hopefully you get a discount on Steam if you own it already because I am probably not going to pay 50 bucks for Dark Souls 2 2.

edit:

Well it looks like we just have to wait either way because they're not sayin anything according to their twitter.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Nov 25, 2014

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

CJacobs posted:

The wording is pretty poor so really it could mean either. If that is true, hopefully you get a discount on Steam if you own it already because I am probably not going to pay 50 bucks for Dark Souls 2 2.

Some people on the Steam forums have linked to translations of the Japanese press release.

The DX9 and DX11 games are straight out not compatible. You can't even transfer saves.

Chances are, there will probably be something similar to the Deus Ex Director's Cut situation.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tallgeese posted:

Some people on the Steam forums have linked to translations of the Japanese press release.

The DX9 and DX11 games are straight out not compatible. You can't even transfer saves.

Well, yeah, it says that the two versions are separate in the tumblr post. Either way you get the new stuff except for the new visual effects, it's just a matter of whether the DX11 version will be free or not which From isn't saying anything about in either direction.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Nov 25, 2014

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

By the way, the original game will also not be getting the upgraded enemy adjustments, such as the placements some of you noted.

Basically, the old version will get adjustments to the numerical parameters and so on, but not particularly radical changes.

You also do not get the upgraded multiplayer with the DX9 version. Though I'm kind of wondering how well the game will work with 6 players at once...

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Tallgeese posted:

This backs up the theory that I had when DS2 was first released: There was a seperate next-gen build for PS4/XB1 that still wasn't ready for release. That was the version that appeared in all the preview footage, with all the extra detail, lighting, particles, etc. There was a separate previous-gen version for 360/PS3, which is what we got in the form of the DX9 edition.

This was backed up further when Bloodborne footage started coming out, and it looked a lot more like the DS2 preview footage. It just looked like a next-gen engine. Fromsoftware clearly have a more advanced engine - we just didn't get it for that initial Dark Souls 2 release.

I'll be holding off until Digitalfoundry have given the game a solid shake, but I wouldn't be too surprised now if we're about to get the game that was shown to us a year back.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dominic White posted:

This backs up the theory that I had when DS2 was first released: There was a seperate next-gen build for PS4/XB1 that still wasn't ready for release. That was the version that appeared in all the preview footage, with all the extra detail, lighting, particles, etc. There was a separate previous-gen version for 360/PS3, which is what we got in the form of the DX9 edition.

This doesn't make sense considering the early beta had all that stuff in there, so it's apparent that they just took it out.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

This doesn't make sense considering the early beta had all that stuff in there, so it's apparent that they just took it out.

Eh, the beta had some extra lighting effects, but it wasn't nearly the dramatic leap between the preview footage and final cut. It was definitely lacking in other areas, though, like the less fancy particle effects and more dull, matte armor (no specular maps). I have a feeling they ended up cutting things further back to try and hit as close to 30fps steady on the PS3, which still ended up really creaking in places.

The big limitation of previous-gen consoles is RAM. It's the most likely reason why we see stuff like the ogre bursting out of its cell in the form of a long multi-stage animation in preview footage, but it just kinda walks through it in a janky one-step move in the final version. They had to cut back on even small things like that to make things fit.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Nov 25, 2014

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Tallgeese posted:

Chances are, there will probably be something similar to the Deus Ex Director's Cut situation.

The Japanese press releases seem to be indicating that there will be no cheap upgrade to the new Steam DirectX 11 version, you'll just have to buy the complete edition with all the DLC included at full price.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I wonder if they will make that one pile of rubble in the shaded woods a bit bigger.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Senethro posted:

Keep a halberd in your back pocket until boss is at 50% health, brightbug, buff and pick your moment carefully. You might not be able to truly finish him off but you should be able to put him in the 1-full-combo kill zone and can risk eating a hit from the second kitty.

In what is unquestionably the most humiliating experience of my adult life, I took the 2catz down after another hour-and-a-half of play and with the assistance of two other players. I didn't intend to extinct all the reindeer, but I sure as poo poo extincted all the reindeer.

My life is a cruel, nonstop joke.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Dominic White posted:

This backs up the theory that I had when DS2 was first released: There was a seperate next-gen build for PS4/XB1 that still wasn't ready for release.
The people who worked on the Future Press guide said they played with the build that had all the fancy lighting bells and whistles. It ran like poo poo on the last-gen consoles, but From assured them one way or another they would make sure the release version would have good preformance.
So I doubt that the preview-footage build was always specifically meant for PS4 & XBone. I reckon it's more likely that relatively late in development From realised that they simply couldn't get everything they wanted to work properly on the last-gen-consoles' hardware and so ended up having to go with the less fancy lighting and whatnot.
They then kept the old build because they're using the same technology for Bloodborne and someone probably realised that they could do a re-release and make people buy the game a second time.

Tallgeese posted:

By the way, the original game will also not be getting the upgraded enemy adjustments, such as the placements some of you noted.
Basically, the old version will get adjustments to the numerical parameters and so on, but not particularly radical changes.
You also do not get the upgraded multiplayer with the DX9 version.
Even if Da2 1.0 owners will get a discount, that sounds kinda lovely. Has it been made clear yet if DaS 2.0 will still support lower graphics, or is this From & Bandai Namco shrugging and going "Well, sucks to be you" if you have a GPU that can't handle DaS 2.0's higher graphics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

The Japanese press releases seem to be indicating that there will be no cheap upgrade to the new Steam DirectX 11 version, you'll just have to buy the complete edition with all the DLC included at full price.

Ahahahahahaha fuuuuuuuck that.