Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
At least you got a horseman, I had Book of Revelations, got to L3 Bandage Girl then fought 2x The Gate boss in Utero 1. Didn't even have Contract from Below to get in the way either.

On the other hand, getting 99 coins + Guppy + Money = Power just destroys the Dark Room. Got Azazel cleared of all normal mode symbols now, that's my second character done after Eden. Will do Hard Mode when I've done all of these, no rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

ErIog posted:

This is both too easy and super boring because Meat boy and Bandage girl are pretty dogged in seeking out enemies. It'd be about as fun as a Daddy Long Legs + Gnawed Leaf challenge.

I think it could be fun if there were more challenges that substantially hosed around with the challenge format. Like a ??? run where he starts with the Dark Bum and Dollar Bill, no item rooms, but double shops every floor and no devil deals.

I'd also like a Sonic the Hedgehog inspired run, but it would necessitate the creation of a new Money = Health item that kills you if you leave a room while holding 0 cents. You could also roll this into the challenge idea I described above too. Stuff that changes meta is more interesting to me than, "here's a run where you start with this item set you probably have already experienced in the regular game." The challenge that added spikes to every door was great for that.

code:
* name = challenge name
* id = challenge id
* startingitems = comma separated (nospace) item ids that will be added at the start
* startingtrinkets = comma separated (nospace) trinket ids that will be added at the start (max 2)
* startingpill = effect id of the starting pill (-1 for no pill | default)
* startingcard = card id of the starting card (can include runes) (-1 for random tarot card, 0 for no card | default)
* playertype = player type id for player type to start with (0 for Isaac | default)
* endstage = the last stage of the challenge (use eLevelStage ids)
* roomfilter = list of room ids to not be generated in challenge [Not all room ids can be used] (NORMAL - 1, Shop - 2, Error - 3, Treasure - 4, Boss - 5, Miniboss - 6, Secret - 7, 
SuperSecret - 8, Arcade - 9, Curse - 10, Challenge - 11, Library - 12, Sacrifice - 13, Devil - 14, Angel - 15, Dungeon - 16, Bossrush - 17, Isaacs - 18, Barren - 19, Chest - 20, Dice - 21, BMarket - 22).
* cursefilter = bitmask for curses to be removed (Darkness = 1, Labyrinth = 2, Lost = 4, Unknown = 8, Cursed = 16)
* getcurse = bitmask for curses to be forced (Same id's as curse filter)
* achievements = list of achievement ids that are required to be able to play the challenge
* altpath = alternative floor for light/dark path (isaac/satan)
* canshoot = determines if player can shoot (true | default)
* soulhp = add soul hp
* blackhp = add black hp
* maxdamage = maximal damage or more
* minfirerate = minimal fire rate or less
* minshotspeed = minimal shot speed or less
Might need to edit some code for that kind of stuff, those are the starting conditions you can set.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Can somebody post on the reddit the following:

An Item that makes the Lost at least a little bit fun to play

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
So I sort of realized something with Lazarus. The way to play him IMO isn't to leave the first floor with the x1 life. It seems far far more beneficial to get most of the first floor boss down and then let him kill you and come back as the shadow and finish the boss off. This way you don't have to worry about losing the devil deal on next floor and you aren't so gimped. I mean the weak damage and slow speed and mediocre starting health seem to suggest that this is what you should be doing. Plus, I can't really see a point in keeping that extra life anyway. When I die, I'm usually in the Womb(Lumps) or in Chest/Dark Room, where 1 heart basically means you may as well quit now unless you are already broke.

Thought I would just point this out in case no one else has.

EDIT: I also suppose you could kill your self with devil deals if possible on second floor, but the low damage with Laz, means you'll have to make up lost time for Boss Rush on the third floor.

Kenishi fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Nov 25, 2014

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

Pretty sure Curse of the Blind uses a complicated algorithm that calculates exactly the right item to gently caress you over in every case.

I blindly picked up Rubber Cement while carrying IPECAC, so the algorithm isn't completely optimised yet.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Can someone explain to me what the Dead Onion is for? I picked it up in Basement 1 just now and all I can figure out is that it's ruined my range and damage.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dead Onion automatically gives you tears that pierce enemies/items at the cost of reducing your shot speed/range. Good luck getting your range back up so it's actually useful.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

CJacobs posted:

Dead Onion automatically gives you tears that pierce enemies/items at the cost of reducing your shot speed/range. Good luck getting your range back up so it's actually useful.

Good news! The next three items I got were Tech 2, Blood Clot and Rubber Cement. Not super op but a nice bit of weirdness and I'm playing Judas so I can boost my damage for bosses.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

CJacobs posted:

On the other hand, Dead Onion and spoon bender/sacred heart is wonderful, and the shot speed downgrade is really good if you have the tears to back it up.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Guys I'm an (almost) complete BoI virgin. I bought the original back when it came out but hardly played it because of lack of time and commitment. I only recently decided to check out Rebirth and so far it's great fun if incredibly hard to my inept self.

The biggest problem though is that I basically have no idea about anything at all. I don't know any of the items or item names, I have no idea what all the different doors do or why sometimes some of them are barred and I can't get in and so on and so forth. Basically, I know absolutely nothing.

I read a couple of pages in the thread and have been stumbling around the wiki which was semi-helpful. I kinda don't want to use the wiki too much out of fear of spoiling myself or reading things I shouldn't worry about and reading the last ~20 pages of this thread has only been helpful insofar that it made me realize I have no idea what you guys are talking about :v:

So basically what I'm asking is, as a complete newbie, what should I be doing it looking at to at least have some sort of clue? I managed to get all the way through the stages and get an ending cutscene of some sort but I'm still not really sure what the hell. Should I focus on unlocking characters? Items? Please guide me, BoI gurus!

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

abraxas posted:

pining for BOI advice

I feel the same way, I'm enjoying the game mechanically but some of the poo poo people are posting about it sounds like nonsense Dota 2 strategies or something. Wouldn't mind a bit of a guiding light on how to 'play BOI better' if that's the right way to put it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

abraxas posted:

Guys I'm an (almost) complete BoI virgin. I bought the original back when it came out but hardly played it because of lack of time and commitment. I only recently decided to check out Rebirth and so far it's great fun if incredibly hard to my inept self.

The biggest problem though is that I basically have no idea about anything at all. I don't know any of the items or item names, I have no idea what all the different doors do or why sometimes some of them are barred and I can't get in and so on and so forth. Basically, I know absolutely nothing.

I read a couple of pages in the thread and have been stumbling around the wiki which was semi-helpful. I kinda don't want to use the wiki too much out of fear of spoiling myself or reading things I shouldn't worry about and reading the last ~20 pages of this thread has only been helpful insofar that it made me realize I have no idea what you guys are talking about :v:

So basically what I'm asking is, as a complete newbie, what should I be doing it looking at to at least have some sort of clue? I managed to get all the way through the stages and get an ending cutscene of some sort but I'm still not really sure what the hell. Should I focus on unlocking characters? Items? Please guide me, BoI gurus!

For some real quick advice that doesn't spoil any item effects, a big way people tend to win this game is by going a floor(aside from the first one) without taking red heart damage. This has a chance to open a "devil room" where you exchange hearts often for very useful items. There's chances if you just don't take red-heart damage on the boss but the whole floor gives you the best chance. So basically try to learn to avoid enemy attacks well and use the spirit hearts(often found in those tinted rocks) to give yourself the best chance to win. There's a lot more to this but that's the gist of it.

But yeah if you want to get deeper into the game focus on beating all the stuff with the characters and unlocking them, and more stuff and more stuff will unlock. Also beating the challenges will unlock items into the game.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 25, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ramagamma posted:

I feel the same way, I'm enjoying the game mechanically but some of the poo poo people are posting about it sounds like nonsense Dota 2 strategies or something. Wouldn't mind a bit of a guiding light on how to 'play BOI better' if that's the right way to put it.

Never go boots first nub

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Ramagamma posted:

If your lane is Basement, always start with Doran's Tears but I prefer to start Yum Heart against Cellar for better sustain when I know I'm going to be harassed.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

abraxas posted:

Pick up everything and then try to remember what it was afterwards, it's more fun than looking up spoilers twice a floor, and you might be surprised by how some things work.
Golden doors are always item rooms, unless you're on an XL floor there will always be one on each floor until the fight with mom. They will be locked except for on the first floor.
Standard locked doors are usually shops, which you can avoid unless you have 15+ pennies or just a bunch of keys. Some floors will have a second locked door which will usually be a library (a room with one or 2 spacebar items)
double locked doors are generally interesting, but not vital. There's a few different kinds, and if you get a dice room I probably would look up what the number means before using it (using it in this case means stepping onto the dice)
Curse rooms are almost always worthwhile. You've got an ok chance at at least one blue heart or an item.

Just focus on beating the game. Most of the characters are unlocked through normal or skilled play.

Also use an analog controller if you're on PC. Being able to slowly move, or have 360 degrees of movement is huge in Isaac.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Thanks for the tips so far. I guess I'll just work on unlocking more characters and items and figure things out as I go for the most part. Items and what they do seem easy enough to remember but a lot of things seem really obtuse to me. All the different chances of getting whatever that are influenced by other things and so on. I guess that's for a later time when I have a better grasp on the game in general.

One specific question I have is, what are those spike rooms? After running into them a couple of times and them seeming kind of important, what with getting their own mini map graphic and looking all gloomy and creepy, I decided that the only thing it could possibly want me to do is step on the spikes in the middle. All that did was make me take damage and look even more like an idiot than I already do. What am I missing here? Or are those just rooms to troll people like me who know next to nothing about the game? :(

senae posted:

Also use an analog controller if you're on PC. Being able to slowly move, or have 360 degrees of movement is huge in Isaac.

This might sound really stupid to all you BoI veterans but I honestly think that is the one change that makes me play this game like crazy where I was almost immediately done with the original BoI after a session or two of dying horribly really quickly.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

abraxas posted:

Just loving play the game, Jesus. There's literally no consequences if you lose and it is a children's entertainment product. I didn't know facepalming was a thing people could spontaneously do until now.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

abraxas posted:

One specific question I have is, what are those spike rooms? After running into them a couple of times and them seeming kind of important, what with getting their own mini map graphic and looking all gloomy and creepy, I decided that the only thing it could possibly want me to do is step on the spikes in the middle. All that did was make me take damage and look even more like an idiot than I already do. What am I missing here? Or are those just rooms to troll people like me who know next to nothing about the game? :(

Those are sacrifice rooms. When you step on the spikes, there's a chance a chest will spawn. If you damage yourself down to half a heart, it's guaranteed a chest will spawn. In the old Isaac, you were guaranteed to get a chest if you used an invincibility item, don't know it still works like that (edit: it doesn't, I just tried). Only one chest will spawn in each room, btw.

Pannus fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 25, 2014

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Disgusting Coward posted:

Just loving play the game, Jesus. There's literally no consequences if you lose and it is a children's entertainment product. I didn't know facepalming was a thing people could spontaneously do until now.

This game is pretty fun to min-max, and learning the mechanics can make it easier to do some cool stuff.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/search.jsp?titleOrPublisher=The+Binding+of+Isaac&searchType=title

?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Quit gettin' mad about video games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Smiting Mom in one shot of Krampus' head by standing in the middle and firing on all 4 doors will never get old. :black101:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Pinking shears plus something that regens your charge is really strong. I went into the boss rush with the habit and took a bunch of damage since everything shits out hearts, I had like 3 headless bodies running around the room absolutely massacring everything - those things do shitloads of damage.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Do Devil Rooms' soul selling or faith/necro heart damage count against unlocking Samson?

Also as Azazel my first Devil Room item was a lump of coal. :saddowns:

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
r8w6 142z

Eve run that gets moms knife in an early regular treasure room, chocolate milk, brimstone, scythes and monstro's lung in the boss rush. Not as overpowered as it sounds, maybe due to the order you collect them, it was still a pretty easy dark room win. The shot was basically a strong main knife attack then a flurry of knives afterwards. The scythes and monstro's lung didn't make much of a noticeable difference.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Entered two angel rooms on my most recent playthrough and both times the rock automatically blew up and I had to fight the angel. Why did that happen? My only guess is that it's because I was carrying the Book of Belial maybe?? Once I got the key parts it stopped happening.

Here's what my item setup was when it happened, I was playing as Judas.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Rocks seem to randomly pop for some reason, it happens in treasure rooms too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Pwnstar posted:

Weird.

Second question, does Judas... not have an unlock for beating ??? or something? I beat Isaac and unlocked the Guillotine but I didn't get anything for beating ???.

edit: Oh, according to the wiki his ??? unlock is The Left Hand, which also unlocks from beating Ultra Pride. Alright then.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

CJacobs posted:

Weird.

Second question, does Judas... not have an unlock for beating ??? or something? I beat Isaac and unlocked the Guillotine but I didn't get anything for beating ???.

edit: Oh, according to the wiki his ??? unlock is The Left Hand, which also unlocks from beating Ultra Pride. Alright then.

Had the same problem. I actually think his unlock can also be unlocked some other way. (It's the left hand according to the wiki)

E: Too slow.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
God drat the blank card is just silly. Find a credit card with it? Enjoy picking up all the shop items for free. Oh, and free goddamn devil deals too. I used that combo until I found a sun card and a sharp plug in the shop, at which point I had infinite free healing and I could literally just stand around pressing space to activate the sun, recharge it with HP which I then heal the next time I use the sun. It also acted as a map + compass and a nuke to just murder every fucker in the room.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Pwnstar posted:

I've always wondered about this. Sometimes it's when you re-enter a room and there was loot on the floor, and I always thought it's because the game re-assigns the loot to a "standard grid" position or something (if that makes sense), and if an object is in the way it gets popped.

But other times it just randomly happens :psyduck:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just had a game get screwed in the absolute dumbest way on Basement 2:

I killed a Mulligan in a way that one of the flies that came out of him spawned on the concrete block, and then it flew into the center. Because plain black non-flashing flies don't home in on you and move in a totally random pattern, the odds of it coming back out so I can kill it are incredibly low. Because Judas starts with no bombs, I can't bomb my way in either. As I type this it is slowly moving toward the center of the room in the middle of all the rocks.

:cripes:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Just had a game get screwed in the absolute dumbest way on Basement 2:

I killed a Mulligan in a way that one of the flies that came out of him spawned on the concrete block, and then it flew into the center. Because plain black non-flashing flies don't home in on you and move in a totally random pattern, the odds of it coming back out so I can kill it are incredibly low. Because Judas starts with no bombs, I can't bomb my way in either. As I type this it is slowly moving toward the center of the room in the middle of all the rocks.

:cripes:

you have a 2 of clubs though? That will give you 2 bombs for free.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Would a collectible that let you carry an extra usable item between floors be too OP? Say, a toy box or something that you can always find in the starting room. Touching it while you have a usable item and it's empty will deposit your item.

Dumb expansion idea now that Ed is soliciting dumb expansion ideas.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

IMJack posted:

Would a collectible that let you carry an extra usable item between floors be too OP? Say, a toy box or something that you can always find in the starting room. Touching it while you have a usable item and it's empty will deposit your item.

Dumb expansion idea now that Ed is soliciting dumb expansion ideas.

Well you have items that let you carry two trinkets, two pills/two cards. Perhaps an item that lets you carry two spacebar item around? If that needs to be tuned down a bit perhaps they share a charge in some manner?

I think there's a lot of lackluster and situational spacebar items that having two would probably be fine without the shared charge stipulation. Plus it would synergize nicely with battery items.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

From my experience, they slowly hover towards your dude if you stand close to them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

senae posted:

you have a 2 of clubs though? That will give you 2 bombs for free.

Oh yeah you're right, I forgot I had that. Ah well.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

abraxas posted:

The barred doors that you can't get into are "challenge rooms". You can only enter them if you have full health. They'll have an item or chest in the center, and if you take it you have to fight three waves of enemies before you can leave. There's also a much nastier version of the challenge room with a skull above the door. You'll need to be at 1 heart to get in, and it will spawn bosses instead of normal enemies.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The best piece of free advice I can give is that treasure rooms are the most important rooms in the game, followed closely by secret rooms, so those should always be prioritized over everything else

Learning the tricks to where secret rooms are means you can trigger them reliably and that increases run success a lot

Also you can bomb into treasure rooms, which is an important thing to note when you have no keys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Devil rooms > other rooms.

Generally, trying to avoid damage and gunning it straight to the boss room on every floor is the best way to get powerful fast.