Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

nWoCHRISnWo posted:

Looking to buy my Mom a couple books for Christmas. She doesn't read too often, but likes any stories dealing with tragedy, mostly domestic murder, or kidnapping, stuff like that.

More specifically, I'd like something new or popular, so I could find it in a big bookstore and not have to buy it online. Basically Gone Girl would be perfect, but not that because she already has it. She doesn't have many more, so any other suggestions are welcome. Fiction or non-fiction.

Look for stuff by Owen Laukkanen and Tana French. TGWTDT was mentioned, but if you're not aware, there's a rather graphic rape scene, so be careful is that might bother your mom. If not, there's all kinds of dark, popular Scandinavian poo poo out there nowadays and stuff by Jo Nesbo and Jussi Adler-Olsen will both be easy to find and provide a gripping read. The only non-fiction that comes to mind (that isn't about slavery) is the recent memoir from Elizabeth Smart, My Story.

elbow posted:

I've read both of those and while they're fantastic books, they're not exactly what I'm looking for. I'd like to read something about a protagonist (or group) that travels to various alternate universes, not just one.

Tad Williams' Otherland (and PKD's Eye in the Sky if you haven't read that one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

elbow posted:

I've read both of those and while they're fantastic books, they're not exactly what I'm looking for. I'd like to read something about a protagonist (or group) that travels to various alternate universes, not just one.
The Merchant Princes series by Charles Stross should be right up your alley.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

nWoCHRISnWo posted:

Looking to buy my Mom a couple books for Christmas. She doesn't read too often, but likes any stories dealing with tragedy, mostly domestic murder, or kidnapping, stuff like that.

More specifically, I'd like something new or popular, so I could find it in a big bookstore and not have to buy it online. Basically Gone Girl would be perfect, but not that because she already has it. She doesn't have many more, so any other suggestions are welcome. Fiction or non-fiction.

I highly recommend So Much Pretty by Cara Hoffman https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8844428

nWoCHRISnWo
May 4, 2009

frenchnewwave posted:

I highly recommend So Much Pretty by Cara Hoffman https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8844428

Do you think the multiple POVs and time shifts would be a lot for a very casual reader to enjoy/understand?

funkybottoms posted:

The only non-fiction that comes to mind (that isn't about slavery) is the recent memoir from Elizabeth Smart, My Story.

This is perfect for a non-fiction for her, anyone know of any other autobiographies from people whom survived tragedies?

Hedrigall posted:

JK Rowlings' recent murder mystery books (written as Robert Galbraith).

Those actually look interesting for myself as well, thanks.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

nWoCHRISnWo posted:

This is perfect for a non-fiction for her, anyone know of any other autobiographies from people whom survived tragedies?

Jaycee Dugard wrote a one a few years ago called A Stolen Life and Michelle Knight from Cleveland published one this year called Finding Me. Both were/are popular, so she there's a chance she might be familiar with them. Not autobiography, but you might also have heard of a little book called Unbroken.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

funkybottoms posted:

Tad Williams' Otherland (and PKD's Eye in the Sky if you haven't read that one)

anilEhilated posted:

The Merchant Princes series by Charles Stross should be right up your alley.

Great, I'm going to check out all of these. Thank you both!

Reaganball Z
Jun 21, 2007
Hybrid children watch the sea Pray for Father, roaming free
What are some good books about legends and historical belief in vampires and/or werewolves?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

What Murakami book should I read next? I've read Norwegian Wood and Kafka on the Shore. I really liked the themes of wandering around Tokyo/Japan, finding calm deep in the forest, solitary meals. I grew especially fond of Mr. Nakata.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

mcustic posted:

What Murakami book should I read next? I've read Norwegian Wood and Kafka on the Shore. I really liked the themes of wandering around Tokyo/Japan, finding calm deep in the forest, solitary meals. I grew especially fond of Mr. Nakata.

A Wild Sheep Chase or Colorless Tsukuru and his Years of Pilgrimage would be very good considering the things you like about him, but honestly it's all good.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

nWoCHRISnWo posted:

Has she read Gillian Flynn's other books? They're good too and deal mostly with the type of subject matter your mom likes.

House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubos isn't new but is a good one that fits too.

Philip Meyer's The Son is pretty recent, really good and would fit.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Kaizoku posted:

A Wild Sheep Chase or Colorless Tsukuru and his Years of Pilgrimage would be very good considering the things you like about him, but honestly it's all good.

I'll second A Wild Sheep Chase, and also add The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Reaganball Z posted:

What are some good books about legends and historical belief in vampires and/or werewolves?

If you're willing to check out older stuff, try Montague Summers's books: The Vampire in Europe; The Vampire, His Kith and Kin; and The Werewolf in Lore and Legend.

Reaganball Z
Jun 21, 2007
Hybrid children watch the sea Pray for Father, roaming free

Selachian posted:

If you're willing to check out older stuff, try Montague Summers's books: The Vampire in Europe; The Vampire, His Kith and Kin; and The Werewolf in Lore and Legend.

Thanks, will definitely check out.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
I've got a monthly book club running with some friends. Each month one of us picks a book that fits two criteria:

1) It's by a woman
2) It's preferably by a non-American woman

This month it's my turn. Last month we went for horror and read I Remember You by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir; this month we're apparently all in the mood for horror again, so I'm looking for a horror novel that's by a woman who is preferably from outside of America. Any suggestions would be great!

Also, if anyone's read Laura Kasischke's Mind of Winter - are there genuine supernatural elements or is it all psychological horror? And would you recommend it?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Can anyone recommend a book or two on non-fictional pre-WWII Mongolian history? I've already got a translation of The Secret History as far as that goes. I am looking for something pretty meaty.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

RedTonic posted:

Can anyone recommend a book or two on non-fictional pre-WWII Mongolian history? I've already got a translation of The Secret History as far as that goes. I am looking for something pretty meaty.

Are you talking like interwarish period or all of Mongolian history? The latter you can find a good amount of books. The former as far as English language books are concerened good luck. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be an article that's behind a paywall so that may not be of much help to you.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Stravinsky posted:

Are you talking like interwarish period or all of Mongolian history? The latter you can find a good amount of books. The former as far as English language books are concerened good luck. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be an article that's behind a paywall so that may not be of much help to you.

I was hoping earlier history, but inter-war is at least something. Is the paywall an academic journal/aggregator? I can access a good number of those.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

RedTonic posted:

I was hoping earlier history, but inter-war is at least something. Is the paywall an academic journal/aggregator? I can access a good number of those.

REVOLUTION ON THE CHINESE FRONTIER: OUTER MONGOLIA IN 1911 by Thomas Ewing is on JSTOR. Looking at the site right now it looks like if you do not have an account they will let you create one and read it online for free now so that's good. For earlier history you definitely should look at The Secret History of the Mongols. This is the oldest Mongolian written work (that has survived, but do not quote me on that) and is an account on Genghis Khan from the Mongols themselves. Do note that it is not a strictly factual account, as it is part poetry and part folklore but that is what you get when you are dealing with some early histories. You can easily find free translations floating around online all over the place.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

What's a good place to start with Graham Greene?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

freebooter posted:

What's a good place to start with Graham Greene?
I'd suggest The Quiet American or Our Man In Havana, both are a good taste of Greene's ideas while being fairly easy to read.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Nov 25, 2014

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'd second those and add Travels With My Aunt if you want one of his more comic novels.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Are there any books on Ancient History that approach the subject in sort of a Mary Roach fashion? I guess I mean a casual, entertaining and maybe even quirky slant? I'm not the biggest fan of reading history books (I have a terrible memory and trouble keeping dates/names straight), so I thought maybe a 'pop history' style book might help ease me in...

[edit] Tom Holland, maybe? Just Googling around and that name came up here and there...

tonytheshoes fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 25, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

tonytheshoes posted:

Are there any books on Ancient History that approach the subject in sort of a Mary Roach fashion? I guess I mean a casual, entertaining and maybe even quirky slant? I'm not the biggest fan of reading history books (I have a terrible memory and trouble keeping dates/names straight), so I thought maybe a 'pop history' style book might help ease me in...

Cartoon History of the World, forget the author's name.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

tonytheshoes posted:

Are there any books on Ancient History that approach the subject in sort of a Mary Roach fashion?

Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Cartoon History of the World, forget the author's name.

It's Cartoon History of the Universe actually, Larry Gonick is the author and artist.

It owns!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

a kitten posted:

It's Cartoon History of the Universe actually, Larry Gonick is the author and artist.

It owns!

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking of. It's divided up into time periods and mostly focused on Indo-European history but does a surprisingly good job of covering other areas of the globe and non-orthodox-but-still-legitimate historical theories and interpretations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

funkybottoms posted:

Not about Ancient history, not even a history book.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

End Of Worlds posted:

I've got a monthly book club running with some friends. Each month one of us picks a book that fits two criteria:

1) It's by a woman
2) It's preferably by a non-American woman

This month it's my turn. Last month we went for horror and read I Remember You by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir; this month we're apparently all in the mood for horror again, so I'm looking for a horror novel that's by a woman who is preferably from outside of America. Any suggestions would be great!

Also, if anyone's read Laura Kasischke's Mind of Winter - are there genuine supernatural elements or is it all psychological horror? And would you recommend it?

The Piano Teacher by Elfriede Jelinek

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

mistermojo posted:

The Piano Teacher by Elfriede Jelinek

I didn't know the movie was based on a book, I loved the movie, gonna have to check the book out now too.

I'm in the middle of reading something that fits those criteria too: The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes. About halfway through and it's great so far, strongly recommend.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Does anyone know of any books similar to Deus Ex or The Matrix? Basically, I want dark, edgy, cyberpunk conspiracy fiction.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I think they ripped their aesthetic wholesale off the works of William Gibson. So Neuromancer?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't really consider it dark and edgy but you can't go wrong with Stephenson's Snow Crash.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

elbow posted:

The Magicians trilogy by Lev Grossman, and The Long Earth (which has sequels that I haven't read, but haven't heard super great things about either) by Terry Pratchett.

Long Earth is probably closer to what you're looking for.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Does anyone know of any books similar to Deus Ex or The Matrix? Basically, I want dark, edgy, cyberpunk conspiracy fiction.

Richard Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs books might be up your alley -- although they're a little too advanced tech-wise to qualify as cyberpunk.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

tonytheshoes posted:

[edit] Tom Holland, maybe? Just Googling around and that name came up here and there...

Tom Holland is fine and I would not really put him in the pop history category because I generally reserve that title for poorly researched and heavily slanted ghostwritten books put out by personalities (usually TV/radio) trying to make a buck off of their audience.

Imo if you want to ease into reading history do not worry about dates and names. Just as long as you are getting the broad picture and understanding what is going on your OK. Also start out on books covering a single event or person instead of broad histories.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

funkybottoms posted:

What the hell are you talking about? That's a science focused book with some background on the scientist and beyond like democratis nothing about ancient history.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Stravinsky posted:

Imo if you want to ease into reading history do not worry about dates and names. Just as long as you are getting the broad picture and understanding what is oing on your OK. Also start out on books covering a single event or person instead of broad histories.

Also an idea if you get names confused, get a small notebook or something and when you get to a new name just write it down with a short sentence on who they are like:

Nikola Tesla: worked with Edison later a rival, AC current proponent

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Is there anything specific in ancient history you are interested in? because if you just want some broad and readable things before JEsus book then it's probably going to not be very good at actually telling you anything. If you happen to be particularly interested in a certain area (Ancient Greeks; birth of civilisation; etc) then people can recommend books a lot better.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I read Infinite Jest last winter and I'm getting the bug again for a gigantic insane novel. I realize there's probably nothing exactly like it, but when I was talking to some friends the other day I realized that Neal Stephenson (another author I like) is kind of a B-movie genre director in the same way one might compare David Foster Wallace to a great auteur like Stanley Kubrick. So like, a five page essay about some nerd's optimal way to eat Captain Crunch is great, but I'd love something that's a bit more literary but still highly readable. Does any of this make sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Hedrigall posted:

Are there any books that even come close to capturing the feeling of the sections in LOTR when the Fellowship traverses Moria?

I realize this was posted a month ago, but I HAVE AN OPINION so here goes.

It's been forever since I read LOTR. But the one book I've read since then that I felt was close to it, in terms of things like "awe of the unknown" and having a fictional world that has way more history than is explained in the text, is Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun.