Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

awesome-express posted:

got my new ikea hipster desk today

That's a good looking desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

That's a good looking desk.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

:kiddo:

Heres a link if anyone's interested, it's super sturdy and pretty spacious: http://m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/spr/19047309/

You can adjust the height of the thing and there's standing desk kits available

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

awesome-express posted:

:kiddo:

Heres a link if anyone's interested, it's super sturdy and pretty spacious: http://m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/spr/19047309/

You can adjust the height of the thing and there's standing desk kits available

I wish that thing could make it to ~44" in height. It'd be a cheap standing only desk. I guess once I get a new place I'll buy their new adjustable desk though.

Basically going to do http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99932564/ while I'm renting a room. and then it can be a table for beer bottling or something else later.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

It wouldn't be hard to make a desk stand like that if you needed it higher and have access to some woodworking tools. Ikea is selling people saw horses with a board on them.

poo poo, send me $100 or so and I'll make one out of oak that you can murder someone with.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Sylink posted:

It wouldn't be hard to make a desk stand like that if you needed it higher and have access to some woodworking tools. Ikea is selling people saw horses with a board on them.

poo poo, send me $100 or so and I'll make one out of oak that you can murder someone with.

I have one I built out of an older table top my dad made for me, and if an earthquake ever hits you'll find me under it, but it's huuuge. ( http://i.imgur.com/K3IrL.jpg very old picture)

I'l just going cheap while I'm renting a room and hopefully can get something awesome come jan/feb or after my house sells.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

My month long attempt to use a standing desk has ended.

While it definitely *felt* healthier, my employment has me on my feet and physically active the entire day - standing in one place to type a paper or play a game was simply too much after a long work day. I can see the value in it if you'd otherwise be on your rear end for eight hours straight, but my computer is generally a source of leisure and light productivity, not the focus of my day.

Gonna go look for a nice chair now.

Ricardio
Dec 3, 2012

Completely Consensual
I came to the same conclusion. I spend 50+ hours a week at work on my feet and don't sit around much when I'm home anyways. The benefits of a standing desk only really apply to office folk.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
Yup, and I'm starting to come around to it. I'm 29.5 years old and my knees are starting to feel crappy at the end of the work day. My fiancee loves it because I basically come home from work (often working from home) itching to be on my feet and cook. Working from home makes it even worse because I tend to get up a lot less.

SockFight
Dec 13, 2011

FOGLESONG SAYS STOP WHINING AND DO YOUR "OPERATIONAL" (DELIVERY TRUCK DRIVER) JOB BITCH

FOGLESONG'D
I finally finished up a rather extensive PC built-into-desk mod.

Here's a crappy iPhone video of the LEDs running through their colors. Its not always set like that but it shows off the build. Let me know what you think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01vsV8AWrSs

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

SockFight posted:

Here's a crappy iPhone video of the LEDs running through their colors. Its not always set like that but it shows off the build. Let me know what you think:

Okay that's pretty cool. It seems like it would be hard to move though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
It looks like it's built into a modified desk drawer. That shouldn't be too terrible to move.

And it's not like a desktop's gonna be getting carted around a ton.

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

SockFight posted:

Holy crap that's awesome man, how did you manage to do the led automatic switching? Really wonderful job

SockFight
Dec 13, 2011

FOGLESONG SAYS STOP WHINING AND DO YOUR "OPERATIONAL" (DELIVERY TRUCK DRIVER) JOB BITCH

FOGLESONG'D
The LEDs are just from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Wa...words=led+strip

I'll post some more pictures soon also. Everything else about the desk is custom built. Its a fun project and it looks good in the desk.

SockFight
Dec 13, 2011

FOGLESONG'D

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It looks like it's built into a modified desk drawer.

It's actually built like a book shelf with supported brackets from below. The desk originally just had the top glass and the aluminum outer frame, everything under the glass is built from plywood, MDF, plexiglass and brackets.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
What's the point?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

HorseLord posted:

What's the point?
Post your desk.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Did you follow a guide for that, or do it completely on your own?

HorseLord posted:

What's the point?

It looks really cool.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Stuart McSlim posted:

Just upgraded to a larger IKEA Galant desk and loving the extra space.

yo how do you like that Henge Dock?

fac53
Oct 22, 2002
At last! A dead star!

Literally Elvis posted:

yo how do you like that Henge Dock?

It looks nice, but I kinda hate it. I don't know if it's the laptop or the monitor, but I regularly have a hard time waking the computer up from sleep while it's docked with the USB keyboard and mouse that are attached to the monitor.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I got a new desk!

for $35!!

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.
Upgraded a bit:

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

illamint posted:

Upgraded a bit:

Standing desk from where?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Electronics upgrade. And now I am out of desktop space :(

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BabyRyoga posted:

Clear that Schitt off your desk and you'd have some room.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Wasabi the J posted:

Clear that Schitt off your desk and you'd have some room.

The long term plan is to stack the Schiit and get rid of the [other] poo poo.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BabyRyoga posted:

The long term plan is to stack the Schiit and get rid of the [other] poo poo.

I have done Schitt to get rid of if you're interested.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

Are those Zu Audio? And for the love of god get yourself a proper desk if you're gonna put those speakers and that amp on top of it. None of that broke-rear end late '90s Office Max poo poo. Have some self respect.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Are those Zu Audio? And for the love of god get yourself a proper desk if you're gonna put those speakers and that amp on top of it. None of that broke-rear end late '90s Office Max poo poo. Have some self respect.

Yes, Zu Audio Essence bookshelf speakers. I paid like 10 bucks for this desk from a dude having a garage sale at the other end of the street :(

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
e: oops, sorry, wrong thread

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm guessing/hoping that that poster is a bunch of pokemon avatars.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

Yes, Zu Audio Essence bookshelf speakers. I paid like 10 bucks for this desk from a dude having a garage sale at the other end of the street :(

If you can afford Zu audio you can afford to spend a hundo or two at Ikea for a properly sized desk.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I'm guessing/hoping that that poster is a bunch of pokemon avatars.

Looks more like Dota 2 skill icons to me. I'd say get an Ikea Gallant corner desk but that room looks awfully small.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Khagan posted:

Looks more like Dota 2 skill icons to me. I'd say get an Ikea Gallant corner desk but that room looks awfully small.

It's actually a fairly big room, but I think I have an issue of where to cram a larger desk, now that I think about it. I would probably need other pieces of furniture to replace stuff I already have in here to make everything more efficient, because every wall spot is filled with something. I hate having to overhaul furniture, makes me feel old. :(

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

The lighting in my room is way too bipolar to take a proper picture.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

BabyRyoga posted:

$3,500 a pair speakers and a particle board desk? you don't happen to have transitions lenses do you?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

$3,500 a pair speakers and a particle board desk? you don't happen to have transitions lenses do you?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously tho, I keep on seeing some Spartan-rear end and atrociously laid-out/furnished/maintained rooms in this thread. Some of them look not only unpleasant to be in but uncomfortable as well.

I know goons often tend to dislike and even ridicule the conspicuous ownership of high-design poo poo or attention to aesthetics but the sheer apathy on display in some of these rooms kinda beggars belief.

Like, you only live once so why would you choose to live in an ugly or awkward space when you could make it so much better for surprisingly little money and effort?

But plenty of the desktops posted in this thread are also pretty cool.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
You only live once why lower yourself to a $3000 audio rig when you can afford a $4500 one.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I actually thrifted my speakers :dance: I've probably spent about $3500 total on an audio rig that exceeds 5 figures at this point.

I'm always on the lookout for better furniture. This desk isn't as bad as it looks, it was originally from Ikea. An upgrade is inevitable, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

BabyRyoga posted:

I actually thrifted my speakers :dance: I've probably spent about $3500 total on an audio rig that exceeds 5 figures at this point.

I'm always on the lookout for better furniture. This desk isn't as bad as it looks, it was originally from Ikea. An upgrade is inevitable, however.
reminder that you could not tell the difference between yours and equipment that costs a quarter of what you spent, yet still use dorm room furniture

please get new priorities