Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
This is what I'm supposed to do with these things, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
What is that bird even supposed to do.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Neruz posted:

go "boom"

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

Neruz posted:

>attack
>rearmost enemies
>pray they left their expensive, STR, cap-only mage there
>boom

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well they're generally meant to take on 1 pd provinces and as a quick patrol force, but I guess you could somewhat use them as kamikaze bombers

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
But that's like, 10 air gems, 5 fire gems, 5 slaves and three mage turns for a single aoe 10, 10ap fire damage hit that may not even go off where you want it to :psyduck:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Maybe if you posted it on Desura, people will be all for it

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Neruz posted:

But that's like, 10 air gems, 5 fire gems, 5 slaves and three mage turns for a single aoe 10, 10ap fire damage hit that may not even go off where you want it to :psyduck:

you're just jealous you didn't think of it first

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah okay let's go with that.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Look it doesn't have to make sense do the new bat people have flying commanders?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

well they're bat persons, so

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Everyone knows bats don't actually fly and instead spit strings of a sticky weblike substance that they use to swing through the air by attaching it to trees and the walls of caves.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Neruz posted:

Everyone knows bats don't actually fly and instead spit strings of a sticky weblike substance that they use to swing through the air by attaching it to trees and the walls of caves.

Batmen use grappling hook pistols retard.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

fool_of_sound posted:

Batmen use grappling hook pistols retard.

Well obviously; they don't have the natural ability of bats to excrete the sticky string so they attempt to mimic their true-bat cousins by using grappling hooks in a similar manner.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

is neruz confusing bats and bionic commandos again?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Post-Mortem

TarSwallot has ended with Good luck Im behind 7000 skeletons the dragon achieving godhood on turn 85. Claiming four thrones and six ascension points on the final turn, it may have come as a surprise to some, especially since Miasma dominion and Vengeful Waters combined no doubt made enemy scouting of my territory difficult. This was a newbies-only game.

As the graphs show, the dragon gave me a solid start and that only continued to explode as a couple of my immediate neighbors went AI and I proceeded to roll over their land (Abysia, Ulm, and Arco all went AI without a single engagement and I ended up grabbing the lion's share of the spoils).

My dragon started with W4 and was used primarily to give me an early expansion boost as the troop lineup of C'tis can be described as mediocre at best. Empowered to W5 and given two boosters, it was able to cast Vengeful Water and Maelstrom, giving me both an incredible amount of protection and a huge gem income. About the time I had Mother Oak, Gift of Health, Vengeful Water, Maelstrom, and Well of Misery up I did expect to get dogpiled. Ashdod never really seemed interested in fighting me and was the only one with enough power to really challenge me, it seemed (no offense, Pythium, but I had your territory completely scouted and didn't see anything that worried me). Pythium did make a move to overwrite my globals on the last few turns of the game but by then it was too little, too late, as I had used the gems to catapult me to both a massive amount of territory and powerful troops, including the elemental royalty.

Oh yeah, and I had tarts.

Since they were heavily geared I was quite careful with how they were used, never facing more than I thought they could handle. Though honestly I still had hundreds of gems at the end of the game and could afford to lose some. Though most of my military action was won via skeleton spam, something Marshmasters are quite good at. Skeleton spammers backed by Foul Vapors, Rigor Mortis, Relief, Quagmire, and even Darkness later on was quite effective.

MA C'tis is probably one of my favorite nations because of their nice mix of power and diversity in magic.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Ashdod here. Man kept me occupied far longer than I thought and it was my first time with a giant nation so of course I made my armies too big and they were starving half the time. I had finally gotten enough pots up and a big enough army to march on your southern borders when you claimed the points.

I went with a E5N9 Titan of Regrowth to get the most out of my awesome sacred troops. I also put as much into scales as I could because man Giants are expensive.

The smarter thing to do would have been to start attacking you with my smaller forces and blocked your throne access, while my big army marches forward.

All in all a very fun game, I just wish so many did go AI so soon.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Ashdod here. Man kept me occupied far longer than I thought and it was my first time with a giant nation so of course I made my armies too big and they were starving half the time. I had finally gotten enough pots up and a big enough army to march on your southern borders when you claimed the points.

I went with a E5N9 Titan of Regrowth to get the most out of my awesome sacred troops. I also put as much into scales as I could because man Giants are expensive.

The smarter thing to do would have been to start attacking you with my smaller forces and blocked your throne access, while my big army marches forward.

All in all a very fun game, I just wish so many did go AI so soon.

Most newbie games involve a lot of AIing early. You usually get less of it in normal games.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

is neruz confusing bats and bionic commandos again?

BRB making a Bionic Commando Badds/Coalition alliance faction mod.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Oh my god I suck so much.

I thought single player was supposed to be easymode. Instead I get sandwiched between two AI who coordinate perfectly with each other. Arg.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Good game to C'tis and Ashdod in TarSwallot, had a lot of fun as Pythium but never really had a chance to break out and expand. C'tis basically ran the table gobbling up little AI newb nations and controlled probably 75% of the map by year 6, so it wasn't a total shock to see a throne victory. Tried to start a war against C'tis but didn't have much chance, and I was firing up the S9 global ritual machine when everything ended. Fun times.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mile'ionaha posted:

Oh my god I suck so much.

I thought single player was supposed to be easymode. Instead I get sandwiched between two AI who coordinate perfectly with each other. Arg.

I don't think that part is true, you surely had bad luck and was attacked by two enemies at the same time, but that was pure chance.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014

I have started a new game as EA Pangaea. One of my favourite things to do as them is give dryads N gems and have them seduce with swarm x3 scripted, kills everyone except for SC's/skelespammers. With the not-so-recent seduction nerf it's not as reliable so I need to think of different options.

I went with a N9 Irminsul(disciple game) and am thinking of rolling with conjuratioin first. At level 1 I am casting animals, I get a sick amount of chaff and Pan/Dryad commanders have animal leadership bonus so they don't route as quick. After I am happy with my summons I want to go Alteration for Mother Oak so I can spam more summons and have wooden warriors, swarm and so on. Then Enchantment for Foul Vapors.

The main idea is to have maenad + wolf + animal chaff(maenads berserk -> bring squad morale up) run face first into what the enemy has and eat all the nukes and have my N9 sacred centaurs run in after them and mop up. And maybe some non-cgaff nature summons do some damage too? Later on also buff my dudes with Nature/Earth spells.

Which nature summons are not garbage? Animals seem to be mostly trash. At conjuration 2 the only decent option I see is horned serpents which seem... mostly okay? I guess?(HP 22,att 14,def 7, prot 11, 1 attack)

I can also get a similiar amount of killer mantis at 2x the cost, but I think they are worse unless I wanted mindless chaff? (HP 18, att 13, def 9, prot 10, 2 attacks, mindless).

The Serpents are a lot more cost efficient gems-wise so I am leaning towards them, for the same gem cost I get 44 HP and 2 attacks, on 2 bodies.

I don't think I want to go beyond conjuration 2 early, until I get to Alt-5, unless the conj-3 summons are really loving sweet. I never summon nature stuff, but with N9 it would be a sin not to.

Any pointers for EA Pan? My go-to battle spells will be Howl, Swarm, Foul Vapors most likely.

M_Bison fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Nov 25, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

M_Bison posted:

I have started a new game as EA Pangaea. One of my favourite things to do as them is give dryads N gems and have them seduce with swarm x3 scripted, kills everyone except for SC's/skelespammers. With the not-so-recent seduction nerf it's not as reliable so I need to think of different options.

I went with a N9 Irminsul(disciple game) and am thinking of rolling with conjuratioin first. At level 1 I am casting animals, I get a sick amount of chaff and Pan/Dryad commanders have animal leadership bonus so they don't route as quick. After I am happy with my summons I want to go Alteration for Mother Oak so I can spam more summons and have wooden warriors, swarm and so on. Then Enchantment for Foul Vapors.

The main idea is to have maenad + wolf + animal chaff(maenads berserk -> bring squad morale up) run face first into what the enemy has and eat all the nukes and have my N9 sacred centaurs run in after them and mop up. And maybe some non-cgaff nature summons do some damage too? Later on also buff my dudes with Nature/Earth spells.

Which nature summons are not garbage? Animals seem to be mostly trash. At conjuration 2 the only decent option I see is horned serpents which seem... mostly okay? I guess?(HP 22,att 14,def 7, prot 11, 1 attack)

I can also get a similiar amount of killer mantis at 2x the cost, but I think they are worse unless I wanted mindless chaff? (HP 18, att 13, def 9, prot 10, 2 attacks, mindless).

The Serpents are a lot more cost efficient gems-wise so I am leaning towards them, for the same gem cost I get 44 HP and 2 attacks, on 2 bodies.

I don't think I want to go beyond conjuration 2 early, until I get to Alt-5, unless the conj-3 summons are really loving sweet. I never summon nature stuff, but with N9 it would be a sin not to.

Any pointers for EA Pan? My go-to battle spells will be Howl, Swarm, Foul Vapors most likely.

Vine ogres, especially with an ivy crown equipped. Forest trolls (though they have an upkeep cost), leogryphs but not really, bears if you just need something to draw spells, lamias. Call of the wild can be put to devious uses.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Nov 25, 2014

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

Vine ogres, especially with an ivy crown equipped. Forest trolls (though they have an upkeep cost), leogryphs but not really, bears if you just need something to draw spells, lamias. Call of the wild can be put to devious uses.

Vine ogres are awesome, but don't make use of N9, so I'll probably use my dryad mothers for those. Bears seem awesome as meatshields, it might be worth going for conj-3 I guess.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You can't really expect much out of any nature summons without buffing them hard. Mass protection, mass regeneration and antimagic are pretty much required if you're gonna try using them against someone who knows what they're doing.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
professional tip: berzerk units dont affect squad morale, because they actually just ignore morale completely.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yup, berserk units have 99 morale. For comparison mindless units have 50 :v:

As such when a unit goes berserk its basically ignored for squad morale. Whenever a morale check occurs it just skips over berserking guys.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014
Really? I thought berserkers are just a good way to boost squad morale, since they get 99 morale. I thought you can't mix mindless units(50 morale) with non-mindless because of morale issues. Any source on this?

EDIT: I just discovered rage of the cornered rat has quite big AoE. Time for RAGE BEARS.

M_Bison fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 25, 2014

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the 99 thing is kind of a trick because its not actually 99 its just a null field. things that check morale just dont check anything thats berzerk

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

M_Bison posted:

I'm not sure if you've tested the nerf to seduction but in my test games against MA pan seduction it is still quite reliable for either forcing a fight or getting a seduction success. Though of course it will depend on what you're trying to seduce. What seems to have been really nerfed is everything that got the new dream seduction mechanic.

I dunno if I'd personally go N9 with your strat, but it depends on disciples of course. Also it sounds like you're probably worrying too much about spending N gems on chaff? IMO, especially in a disciples game, you want to lock down mother oak, then gift of health. Or instead, send those N gems to a teammate who can actually do good things with them, like a nief player spamming brood of garm.

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 25, 2014

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014

TheresNoThyme posted:

I'm not sure if you've tested the nerf to seduction but in my test games against MA pan seduction it is still quite reliable for either forcing a fight or getting a seduction success. Though of course it will depend on what you're trying to seduce. What seems to have been really nerfed is everything that got the new dream seduction mechanic.

I dunno if I'd personally go N9 with your strat, but it depends on disciples of course. Also it sounds like you're probably worrying too much about spending N gems on chaff? IMO, especially in a disciples game, you want to lock down mother oak, then gift of health. Or instead, send those N gems to a teammate who can actually do good things with them, like a nief player spamming brood of garm.
I tested the new seduction, it seems seduction succeeds a lot more often. However unlike earlier it can fail and do nothing. Before it used to be a reliable assasination + sometimes you seduce the dude. Now it's about 30/30/40 assasin/seduce/nothing, where you can't rely on it to fire off 100% of the time. However I will still continue to use seduction as it's a very powerful tool of Pangaea's.

I went N9 as a compromise between good scales and a bless, going for a N9 Irminsul. I am just wondering what goodies I should be doing with my pretender besides casting MOak, is using him for Nature summons a good idea? I want to try bolstering my maenad spam with some kind of animal summons, to make the chaff more beefy, giving my centaurs more killing time before the chaff routes.

I think N9 is not a terrible bless here because it accomplishes a couple of things:

1)Getting to N9 on an Irminsul is dirt cheap, so I can spend more points on good scales.

2) My teammate is getting a combat pretender and the regen + extra HP will certainly help.

3) The sacred centaurs are quite respectable on their own and giving them more staying power is not a bad idea.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Irminsuls have Ivy Lord 3 so there's much worse things you could be doing with yours than making 5 vine ogres a turn for a pittance of N gems. Especially after you've cast Mother Oak.

Vine ogres aren't gonna kill anything fast but they make a great meat wall to bolster your conventional forces.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014

Boing posted:

Irminsuls have Ivy Lord 3 so there's much worse things you could be doing with yours than making 5 vine ogres a turn for a pittance of N gems. Especially after you've cast Mother Oak.

Vine ogres aren't gonna kill anything fast but they make a great meat wall to bolster your conventional forces.

They are quite amazing for their cost, especially with the Irminsul. However until I get to conj-5 I want to rush up Alteration 5 for more useful battlle spells and an earlier MOak. Getting Swarm and Wooden Warriors castable ASAP is my priority.

I am only branching out for conj2, maybe conj3 to get some summons out. Early game, I think having just more STUFF on the battlefield will be favorable, even if it does not do much. Soak up evocs at least. I was thinking about vine men, but am not sure it's worth the turns.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
On the other hand, N9 is a devastatingly tedious bless.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Mother Oak is code for Gift of Health

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Malcolm posted:

Good game to C'tis and Ashdod in TarSwallot, had a lot of fun as Pythium but never really had a chance to break out and expand. C'tis basically ran the table gobbling up little AI newb nations and controlled probably 75% of the map by year 6, so it wasn't a total shock to see a throne victory. Tried to start a war against C'tis but didn't have much chance, and I was firing up the S9 global ritual machine when everything ended. Fun times.

This seemed to be a large problem for the players besides C'tis and Ashdod, breaking out and expanding. My entire game wasn't conquering AIs, I did fight T'ien Ch'i and Eriu when they had human players for the purposes of expansion, but by the time we actually fought I had something like three times their land. TC probably could've done with attacking me way earlier than he did and Eriu's war with Jotun basically killed them both as it lasted way too long and ended up with Eriu gaining too little out of it for the time invested.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
For me it was really easy expanding. Lacking access to air meant I had really expensive Mages either researching or helping expand. Once I got access to Legions of Steel my giants were almost invincible. Magic was what kept man in the game so long since I had no easy counter to fear spells that early on.

The player put up a great fight (far better than I did as Man in my recent campaign).

I did fall into the trap of trying to get massive armies and then getting pissed when I could never get enough food to feed the hungry hungry Giants.

Only learned my lesson too late.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Godsdamned kids. :arghfist::corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Kitfox88 posted:

Godsdamned kids. :arghfist::corsair:

You'd think with all the massive amounts of fish sex going on under the sea that the kids wouldn't have anything to complain about.

• Locked thread