Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Soda Popper idea: -2 clip size, but if you hit four or more shots in a row (without missing, or pausing two seconds), those shots are minicrits.

(The secret is, it rewards you for extended combat, but it's worse at extended combat because you'll be constantly reloading, and if you reload all four shots in a row you've taken too long and lose your minicrits. But it involve minicrits without being obnoxious and skilless, therefore I like it.)

Keep the sextuple-jump gun in the game, but use a new model and name for it. (Meanwhile, I'd just keep using my strange stock scattergun, only appreciating all these other weapons on a conceptual level.)

EDIT: I just remembered that the Soda Popper is based on the FaN, not on the stock scattergun. Never mind everything I just said, it'll always be terrible and there's nothing we can do about it. (The only good thing about the FaN is FaN-jumping, and so anything based on it without the self-knockback is garbage.)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Just change the skin so it's cans of Bonk! and then it fits better with the Bonk Boy set.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Turn it into the Scout's phlog. Do enough damage and then taunt, boom; minicrits and speed boost.

Just have to survive taunting.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

If you're going to do that also give it more damage falloff or a wider spread or something

The phlog works (more or less) because the pyro also has to get right up in the enemy team's face with it, and the pyro isn't exactly moving at scout speed either

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if all of the pellets hit an enemy it's crittin' time

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I've never really liked this game, it just didn't gel; but recently I've been digging it!

I like playing medic and just healing anything that moves, is there a downside to this or am I a STAR TEAM PLAYA

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Find out who's good in your team (probably the soldier or demo) and heal them exclusively. If it's Christmas Day maybe toss out a few heals to snipers and pyros when they come limping up

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

simosimo posted:

I've never really liked this game, it just didn't gel; but recently I've been digging it!

I like playing medic and just healing anything that moves, is there a downside to this or am I a STAR TEAM PLAYA

Heal people, remain alive, when you've got an uber use it (pop it, don't drop it). Your uber charges faster against targets that aren't completely overhealed and someone who hasn't taken damage recently heals considerably faster (crit heals). Do this and you're playing great.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

simosimo posted:

Good medics are invaluable to a team. I enjoy my tf2 time 100% more when I have them. Find the good players and use them to move forward but obviously heal every one else as well. You will stay alive way more with the good players protecting you.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Cool, It's my most played class. I know the syringe gun is penned to be a poo poo weapon, but I think it's pretty good?! Years of playing realism shooters has honed my leading skills, who needs hitscan weapons :smug:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

simosimo posted:

Cool, It's my most played class. I know the syringe gun is penned to be a poo poo weapon, but I think it's pretty good?! Years of playing realism shooters has honed my leading skills, who needs hitscan weapons :smug:

Protip: turn damage sounds on, it makes the needle gun even better. Also autoreload and fast weapon switching.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

The syringe gun isn't bad, using it is bad, because every second you're using it is a second you're not healing

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

simosimo posted:

The syringe gun is bad offensively because it's pretty easy for an enemy to dodge it at range, but it's fantastic for teaching the pyro or scout or demoknight or whatever who's trying to take out out why running in straight lines at a medic is a bad idea. And against your average pubbie heavy, a medic with the blutsauger can win if they move around enough and land shots consistently enough to heal through the damage.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I always use the cross bow. Trying to heal people at distance is fun. Try hitting a cratering solly and saving him. :)

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Overdose for life. More faster is more better.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Medic holds a special place in my heart as the first class I played back in 2007, when I was a scant 16 years of age and unaware that this game would snatch 3000 hours of my life from me. Everything in the game felt bold and polished. To go back to those halcyon days in Gravelpit...

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
One thing I can't seem to find out is the unlocks thing and pay for stuff content. So people pay for the hats and that stuff right? And unlock the weapons through random play? I know there's no stat levelling but I randomly get unlocked stuff.

I keep getting unlocks for engi and demo man, gimmie medic stuff damnit :)

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

simosimo posted:

One thing I can't seem to find out is the unlocks thing and pay for stuff content. So people pay for the hats and that stuff right? And unlock the weapons through random play? I know there's no stat levelling but I randomly get unlocked stuff.

Try hitting up scrap.tf to trade away stuff you have doubles of or just plain don't want. You can get that medic stuff you want in return.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
And to reiterate, as a general rule, new weapons are NOT upgrades, more like situational sidegrades. That said, the medic's alternative medi guns, especially Kritzkrieg and Quickfix, are very nice to have. Quickfix may seem a bit shifty at first, but it's very good if you know how to play to its strengths and it's the best funhaving medi gun if you have a good scout buddy. Good for herding pubbies too.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

simosimo posted:

Weapons are functionally free, they're worth like, a fraction of a cent. You'll get them all in time, or can trade for them. Nothing you can pay for offers any functionality, it's all cosmetic. If you'd like to try out a weapon there's a week trial in the shop, but for god's sake don't buy anything there it's a colossal rip off.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

CoolCab posted:

Weapons are functionally free, they're worth like, a fraction of a cent. You'll get them all in time, or can trade for them. Nothing you can pay for offers any functionality, it's all cosmetic. If you'd like to try out a weapon there's a week trial in the shop, but for god's sake don't buy anything there it's a colossal rip off.

That's cool then, I swear some equal classes who I face end up killing me first. But there's some many variables to these situations I just shrug it off. Good to hear nothing is OP. Pay to win is such bollocks.

I know there's goon servers in the op but are there any particular servers for UK goons (UK based for ping, or timezone reasons)

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Buy a single key from the Mann Co store to make your account premium and lift all the free-to-play restrictions. Then sell it to https://scrap.tf for metal, use the metal at the same site to trade for all the weapons, and still have enough left over for a cheap hat or two.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

simosimo posted:

That's cool then, I swear some equal classes who I face end up killing me first. But there's some many variables to these situations I just shrug it off. Good to hear nothing is OP. Pay to win is such bollocks.

I know there's goon servers in the op but are there any particular servers for UK goons (UK based for ping, or timezone reasons)

Yeah, if you're finding yourself losing equal encounters you should question: should I have engaged? How could I prevent this happening again; when should I have started to retreat to health? Positioning and healthkits are super important.

Most people just use Valve servers these days, custom servers are quite uncommon.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

simosimo posted:

I play on Lotusclan 2Fort servers when I just want a quick pissabout, lately though the player skill level has dipped below what you can find on official servers so its pretty grim. For bad->intermediate players try UKCS and German Headquarters servers and for a real challenge play on Hampshire Heavies (not active/full as often though).

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

simosimo posted:

There's not a lot of eurogoons but you can find bunch on the userlist of the defunct group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FridayFunhaversEU.

Hampshire heavies and UKCS's servers are pretty good with generally competent players, german headquarters has everything from pubstars to fresh noobs.

Or feel free to add me (http://steamcommunity.com/id/Jose_Mengelez) i'm always looking for people to play hat sim with.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
What I want from Valve is a golf themed reskin of the loose cannon to go with my nessie's nine iron. And then I'll get the golf themed miscs for demoman to match it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slime posted:

What I want from Valve is a golf themed reskin of the loose cannon to go with my nessie's nine iron. And then I'll get the golf themed miscs for demoman to match it.
"The Scotsman's Skullputter" says hello.

I just want a Strange Nessie's.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

simosimo posted:

Heck yes you are a star team playa.

The three medic skills are:
1) Keeping your team alive with lots of heals for everyone
2) Keeping yourself alive so you can keep healing and build an ubercharge. (This includes using your needles/crossbow and melee, when neccesary)
3) Using your ubercharge (Timing it well, on a good target, in the right situation. This includes team communication, which can help create the right situation)

Lots of medics choose a single player to heal nearly-exclusively. You're a "pocket medic": they're carrying you around in their pocket as a source of health and ubers. This makes job #2 and #3 a lot easier at the expense of #1, because you can cut the number of things you need to pay attention to in half. If you are instead one of the medics who's "healing anything that moves", that makes you the best friend of all the pyros, scouts, and soldiers/demomen/heavies that aren't your pocket, and I'd love to have you on any server I'm on.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Ditocoaf posted:

Heck yes you are a star team playa.

The three medic skills are:
1) Keeping your team alive with lots of heals for everyone
2) Keeping yourself alive so you can keep healing and build an ubercharge. (This includes using your needles/crossbow and melee, when neccesary)
3) Using your ubercharge (Timing it well, on a good target, in the right situation. This includes team communication, which can help create the right situation)

Lots of medics choose a single player to heal nearly-exclusively. You're a "pocket medic": they're carrying you around in their pocket as a source of health and ubers. This makes job #2 and #3 a lot easier at the expense of #1, because you can cut the number of things you need to pay attention to in half. If you are instead one of the medics who's "healing anything that moves", that makes you the best friend of all the pyros, scouts, and soldiers/demomen/heavies that aren't your pocket, and I'd love to have you on any server I'm on.

Alternatively: spam-snipe both friend or foe from far away with your crossbow, and when someone gets too close just run at them swinging your Ubersaw around in random directions. On Valve servers, anything is possible!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

My strategy for Medic is to open the scoreboard and pocket the top Demoman.

If there's no Demoman you join another server.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Assuming by "demoman" you mean sticky launcher, then yes.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Well, yes. I need to rename my Mediguns "HIT 2 TO EQUIP STICKYBOMBS" or something.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
The more I play against it, the more I hate the BFB. I once said that the 4 shots is a major disadvantage, but it really isn't. You can just speed away to reload whenever you need to and the only thing that can pursue you is another BFB using scout. At least stock scout has a chance of something getting him as he tries to run. A BFB scout just has to tap a button and he flies out of the path of a projectile.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The worst thing valve has ever done was gently caress with the basic move speed of the classes. Charging Targe was patient zero.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Adding weapons that do more damage, even only in certain situations, was a big mistake IMO. The game had a really lovely balance way back when, there was far less dying in one-two hits. Being capable of learning why you died and how you overextended is good, not to mention being able to bail is also a good thing.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

You can tell when a heavy's been playing for a long time because they'll jump around corners and rev up in midair. Now they move faster revved up than spun down

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.
This Sunday, the ETF2L Season 19 grand finals are on, with 2 matches back-to-back to decide the placing for the top 3 European 6s teams this season.

Check out some of the big plays of the season so far below and get hyped for watching video games!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rccCVAk0CE4&hd=1

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

simosimo posted:

No, the medic is the best class in the game without question.

The upside is that delivering ubercharges is the core game mechanic for a team push, and until then you're a pretty good force multiplier. While healing someone who is in combat you can deliver the equivalent of a medium health pack every 3 seconds, which ramps up to a medium pack every 1 second after a player has not taken damage for 15 seconds, and also you can take them all the way up to 150% health. A good medic can buttress even a pretty bad team, and if there's a couple good players the medic is usually enough to tip the scales, just from ubers/pocketing/overheals.

The "downside" is that you're not a powerful class on your own, and everyone in the game will be trying to drop you. It's basically a survival horror minigame, with the payoff being that for every 30-40 seconds you have the beam on a teammate you get a chance to gently caress the other team.

oddium posted:

The syringe gun isn't bad, using it is bad, because every second you're using it is a second you're not healing

True, but really the worst thing about it is you're not charging. Every second you have the medigun out is a second closer to your big debut.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 26, 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a lot of fun with the medic comes out when you start messing with the other mediguns, as well. they're all at least situationally useful and each one provides a different playstyle entirely which you have to work with to be effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

a lot of fun with the medic comes out when you start messing with the other mediguns, as well. they're all at least situationally useful and each one provides a different playstyle entirely which you have to work with to be effective.

Kritzkrieg is a very solid sidegrade, especially when you've got lots of damage classes. Kritz demo or kritz soldier is great (especially with Conch), and you charge fast. It's a rock-paper-scissors situation versus stock - either can come out on top depending on your team and how you play.

The Quickfix is useful in a few specific cases:
  • You need to push a cart up a hill (all non-stock ubers can push during charge, but the QF is most useful here)
  • You are going near a cliff a Pyro is guarding (QF cannot be blown during uber)
  • You want to jump up to the point with an explosive class, i.e. rolling out during the mid battle (first life) of 5CP
  • You already have someone else going medic (but you'd probably be better off with Stock+Kritz and doing a Kruber push)

Vaccinator is pretty marginal honestly. The fact that you overheal so slowly gimps it, because you basically have to focus on a pocket (ideally a heavy for the HP buffer). If there's only one player worth healing and you're on the ball with damage types, it can work. There are no "big pushes" (a major, major downside), but it lets you handle small engagements and various area-denial strategies with ease. It can keep you from getting sniped while crossing lanes, let you waltz through a sticky field, negate a point-blank heavy (even uber), batter down a sentry, etc. Bullet resist > Explosive resist, and fire resist is useless unless you're about to burn to death (since you gain HP from resisted damage). Run bullet resist and only switch off if there's a compelling reason.

Meanwhile the rest of your team is getting hosed because you're dicking around at 33% overheal rate instead of spreading heals, and no one joins medic because there's no way to tell from the scoreboard that you're being useless. You're also pretty weak to crits, kritz, and banner.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 26, 2014

• Locked thread