Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A friend of mine has that problem. His wife is super into teaching their kids Irish, and they started them on French early too because they're really forward thinking in terms of education. His eldest daughter is six and just king of gibbers randomly when she gets excited.

HEY GAL posted:

They always are
There's a special level of crazy there though. I particularly like the one about how Bolshevik atrocities occurred, therefore Jews did Communism. It's like they want to blame the Jews for everything so badly, that they forget the stereotype that got them angry in the first place :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

xthetenth posted:

Protected cruisers are a better example. Who needs steel when you have coal?

The protected cruiser added a curved protective deck. The red lines are armor, the wavy blue lines are the waterline, and the dark grey compartments are filled with coal.

Water flooding into coal compartments through holes at or below the waterline has a reduced effect on stability, because the coal doesn't go out the hole where water is rushing in. Coal still takes up volume, so a flooded compartment that was already full of coal has a reduced impact on the ship's stability. Since all that's on the outside and providing protection, that coal would be used last if at all. Protected cruisers went out of style when the Quick Firing 4", 4.7", and 6" guns were introduced, since those would put a lot of larger holes in the ship. There would only be limited dust in the compartments above the waterline, and the ones below would of course promptly flood.

As light warships with long range, these ships were cheap and reasonably effective. Remember that these were some of the first classes to give up auxiliary sails, and the first few classes still had them. Gunnery was much less effective back then, and 6' of coal aka 3" of steel was effective against the light armament of the ships these cruisers were expected to fight. Anything that got through the coal would be coming in on a fairly flat trajectory and glancing off the 2-3" curved deck.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Baudin posted:

Given that children brought up in that kind of situation generally learn a mish mash of languages and skip from one to the other at a disturbing frequency I'm guessing that was his normal mode of communication.
Bear in mind as well that the people holding the investigation are probably Swedes whose army's lingua franca (because why not?) is German.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I forgot that small highly angled deck.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Baudin posted:

Given that children brought up in that kind of situation generally learn a mish mash of languages and skip from one to the other at a disturbing frequency I'm guessing that was his normal mode of communication.

After a certain level of drunkenness you're basically communicating with grunts, gestures, and context so it would probably only be a problem when sober. :v:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Any other talk about Cold War tanks/Soviet tech? I do love me some stories about it :allears:

Plus, anyone got a link to that Cold War aviation thread? I really loved the "RCS secret" banner add they had.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.

JcDent posted:

Any other talk about Cold War tanks/Soviet tech? I do love me some stories about it :allears:

Plus, anyone got a link to that Cold War aviation thread? I really loved the "RCS secret" banner add they had.

Here you go friend

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

JcDent posted:

My favourite story is the words spoken by Chuikov approving the T-62 project: "Why are you bringing up some nonsense about balancers? Mount it on a pig if you want, but I want this gun!"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Has popular history misled me or was Chuikov, in fact, a badass communist pirate?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I don't know about piracy, but his contemporaries recall that he swore like a sailor.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mllaneza posted:

The protected cruiser added a curved protective deck. The red lines are armor, the wavy blue lines are the waterline, and the dark grey compartments are filled with coal.

Water flooding into coal compartments through holes at or below the waterline has a reduced effect on stability, because the coal doesn't go out the hole where water is rushing in. Coal still takes up volume, so a flooded compartment that was already full of coal has a reduced impact on the ship's stability. Since all that's on the outside and providing protection, that coal would be used last if at all. Protected cruisers went out of style when the Quick Firing 4", 4.7", and 6" guns were introduced, since those would put a lot of larger holes in the ship. There would only be limited dust in the compartments above the waterline, and the ones below would of course promptly flood.

As light warships with long range, these ships were cheap and reasonably effective. Remember that these were some of the first classes to give up auxiliary sails, and the first few classes still had them. Gunnery was much less effective back then, and 6' of coal aka 3" of steel was effective against the light armament of the ships these cruisers were expected to fight. Anything that got through the coal would be coming in on a fairly flat trajectory and glancing off the 2-3" curved deck.

Was there much of a threat of coal fires being started? Or was the main concern just penetration into the crew/machinery?

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

HEY GAL posted:

It doesn't say, it could have been either.

Or this could have just been how he spoke normally and his friends were used to picking something they understood out of the word soup but the regimental court wasn't.

Edit: The person I'm really interested in is a guy from "Tartary" I found in a 1681 Saxon muster roll. Never mind how you get from central Asia to Saxony--or why--how did he converse?

At that time point, the Tatars were still quite a force in the Crimea etc. dude could have been from todays southern Ukraine/Moldova. Tatars in Russia proper (Kazan mostly) or further south (Astrakhan Khanate) were pretty subjugated at that point, so my money is on a dude from Crimea.
Possible language could be some form of a Slavic language, due to the extensive affairs with Poland Lithuania, it isnt that unlikely that Tatar dude was a merc for the Poles, learned some Polish on the job, pissed off someone and decided that running away further west was less likely to get him killed then running through Poland back to his homelands.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

Ensign Expendable posted:

I don't know about piracy, but his contemporaries recall that he swore like a sailor.

Ah, Chuikov!
A peasants son from a small village, his father was the guy of organizing ice fights (5 young risk loving man from one village meet 5 young risk loving men from another village on a frozen lake, and beat each other up. Hitting people that are down is strictly forbidden, and also somewhat suicidal. Victorious village gets bragging rights, victorious dudes will propably get laid) in his area.

He did in fact swear a lot (the easiest way to translate anything attributed to Chuikov to what he actually said is to replace all the communist jargon with varying versions of "gently caress" ), and had a sense of humor that reasonated with his men pretty well.
He was also pretty brutal, and occassionally beat people that hosed up, but as far as people that worked with him are concerned, he punished for "intentional" fuckups, not because you simply couldnt possibly carry out some order. Lieing to him was reportedly a quick way to meet your maker really fast. He was also quite adamant about personally sharing the hardships of his troops, and this was a huge thing.

As far as "good bosses" go, this still set him apart from the likes of Zhukov or Koniev.
He also gave credit to good subordinates, even very major credit on occassion.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

It probably isn't good for my click stats to say this, but we've got a relatively dull day today (the Germans finish escaping from Lodz, Austria-Hungary continues marching on Belgrade ten yards at a time) and I've used it mostly to transfer over to the blog something I did on here a few months ago about what famous WW2 types did in WW1. There will be sequels!

(I'm also working on dull-day effortposts about, in no particular order: estaminets; prostitutes; chaplains; trench foot; jam-tin bombs; charitable giving; buying arms instead of building factories to make them; trench newspapers; the difference between despicable looting, petty theft, and acceptable appropriation; discipline outwith the BEF; the shite infantrymen had to carry everywhere on their backs; bringing the rations up; military executions; why the Grenadier Guards are stuck-up bastards; and other popular patriotic songs besides just this one. There's certainly no shortage of things to write about when there aren't any new developments going on.)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mightypeon posted:

Possible language could be some form of a Slavic language, due to the extensive affairs with Poland Lithuania, it isnt that unlikely that Tatar dude was a merc for the Poles, learned some Polish on the job, pissed off someone and decided that running away further west was less likely to get him killed then running through Poland back to his homelands.
And he would have found plenty of people who speak Polish in a Saxon company. Not to mention that if Polish and Sorbian are mutually comprehensible, that's like half of them right there.

Although I need to say that there's a lot of turnover even without having to piss someone off to find a motivation to leave. It's perfectly normal for career soldiers to just drift around from army to army during the course of their lives.

Trin Tragula posted:

the difference between despicable looting, petty theft, and acceptable appropriation...

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 25, 2014

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HEY GAL posted:

It doesn't say, it could have been either.

Or this could have just been how he spoke normally and his friends were used to picking something they understood out of the word soup but the regimental court wasn't.

Edit: The person I'm really interested in is a guy from "Tartary" I found in a 1681 Saxon muster roll. Never mind how you get from central Asia to Saxony--or why--how did he converse?

Could've been Crimean, that's not a completely preposterous trip. ("He says he's a Tartar, so let's just... put that down.")

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GreyjoyBastard posted:

("He says he's a Tartar, so let's just... put that down.")
His name was given as "Nicholas Tartar," so I'm imagining some hellscape of consonants for the dude's actual last name with a German squinting at it helplessly.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

(I'm also working on dull-day effortposts about, in no particular order: estaminets; prostitutes; chaplains; trench foot; jam-tin bombs; charitable giving; buying arms instead of building factories to make them; trench newspapers; the difference between despicable looting, petty theft, and acceptable appropriation; discipline outwith the BEF; the shite infantrymen had to carry everywhere on their backs; bringing the rations up; military executions; why the Grenadier Guards are stuck-up bastards; and other popular patriotic songs besides just this one. There's certainly no shortage of things to write about when there aren't any new developments going on.)

You better start writting the gently caress right now.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Trin Tragula posted:

the difference between despicable looting, petty theft, and acceptable appropriation;

When the enemy do it
When our allies do it
When we do it?

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago
and other popular patriotic songs besides just this one. There's certainly no shortage of things to write about when there aren't any new developments going on.)

I for one always go listen to this when you post it in the thread. It invariably improves my mood.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Could've been Crimean, that's not a completely preposterous trip. ("He says he's a Tartar, so let's just... put that down.")

Tatars exist/have existed all over eastern Europe, not only Crimea. The biggest group nowadays is Volga Tatars (guess where they live?), but there also still are Tatars in Lithuania who've been there since the 14th century Back in 1681 I imagine there would have been a lot more of Tatar communities in the area in 1681 than there are today so it doesn't surprise me a bit if some ended up in Saxony.

Lithuanian Tatars in Napoleonic Army

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Why, it's the difference between the corrupt oligarchs in Ukraine versus the honest graft of the oligarchs in Russia!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I guess back in her times, it was all called "hey, look what I found!"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

I guess back in her times, it was all called "hey, look what I found!"
Nah, there the difference is whether the authorities turn a blind eye to it or actively promote it (Brandschutz, contributions).

For a fun intellectual exercise, compare this to the right to levy taxes, one of the hallmarks of a...let's go with "statelike political entity." What differentiates a mercenary regiment from one of those? They have the right of High Justice as well. Banér called his army "my outspread state."

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 25, 2014

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
War, war never changes. "Troops would be asked: "What do you think of the 75 recoilless?" The answer would be negative. Inquiry would then develop that they have never once used the gun, they disliked it because it was heavy."

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Is it just me, or has the soldier's load invariably been "About 100 pounds, give or take 10" thoroughout recorded history?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Spacewolf posted:

Is it just me, or has the soldier's load invariably been "About 100 pounds, give or take 10" thoroughout recorded history?
Well, my dudes don't carry things; women or servants do much of the heavy labor in their subculture

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Spacewolf posted:

I read something along those lines somewhere, coupled with a suggestion that that's because the carrying capacity of the soldier hasn't changed that much. Soldiers will always be asked to carry as much as they can carry while still marching useful distances.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I read something along those lines somewhere, coupled with a suggestion that that's because the carrying capacity of the soldier hasn't changed that much. Soldiers will always be asked to carry as much as they can carry while still marching useful distances.

The soldier's warload is like an ideal gas and expands to fill his carrying capacity?

HEY GAL posted:

His name was given as "Nicholas Tartar," so I'm imagining some hellscape of consonants for the dude's actual last name with a German squinting at it helplessly.

Something like Brzęczyszczykiewicz?

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Today's 17th century term is billiardeur. It means a dude who signs up for a regiment for the up-front money you get and then deserts at first chance. Since you can get about one-two months pay in one shot while doing this, people did it a lot.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

xthetenth posted:

The soldier's warload is like an ideal gas and expands to fill his carrying capacity?

If an officer can imagine a situation where a 1-pound X will be useful, he will order each soldier to carry that pound until they are no longer able to march with all that weight. I remember reading about the sabres issued to each soldier in Napoleonic France, that tended to be discarded because they weren't useful for much other than chopping firewood.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Chamale posted:

If an officer can imagine a situation where a 1-pound X will be useful, he will order each soldier to carry that pound until they are no longer able to march with all that weight. I remember reading about the sabres issued to each soldier in Napoleonic France, that tended to be discarded because they weren't useful for much other than chopping firewood.

Soldiers of the Napoleonic period were very stupid about what they discarded, at least to the outside observer. I think a lot of it is just decision-making over very short timeframes - ie, It's July, I'm not carrying around this god drat greatcoat because I could easily be dead in two months.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Chamale posted:

Sgt. Bourgogne's memoirs suggest that the sabres were very useful for chopping pieces off of frozen horse corpses to eat :v:

Bro Enlai fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 26, 2014

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Soldiers of the Napoleonic period were very stupid about what they discarded, at least to the outside observer. I think a lot of it is just decision-making over very short timeframes - ie, It's July, I'm not carrying around this god drat greatcoat because I could easily be dead in two months.

I like the ones who throw away dice and playing cards before a big battle because of superstitions. Then reading about the dudes who survived awkwardly returning to get them later no doubt a couple of Aces short.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bro Enlai posted:

Sgt. Bourgogne's memoirs suggest that the sabres were very useful for chopping pieces off of frozen horse corpses to eat :v:
_____________/

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlOoSsfU6cM

EDIT: Beaten by a mile. drat it.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 26, 2014

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Kemper Boyd posted:

Today's 17th century term is billiardeur. It means a dude who signs up for a regiment for the up-front money you get and then deserts at first chance. Since you can get about one-two months pay in one shot while doing this, people did it a lot.

Still not unheard-of in spring 1914 in Britain! The standard scam was to enlist, stick it out as long as possible depending on temperament, and then do one with your civilian clothes, all your kit, and as much sundry other crap as you felt comfortable confiscating from the blokes and/or the stores. Walk a few towns over, convert the Army's gear into cash (and, shortly thereafter, booze) with someone who didn't ask questions, keep walking while getting pissed enjoying the free-roaming life, when the booze runs out join the colours again with a different regiment, rinse and repeat. It was better than going to the workhouse.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Didn't they have some kind of means to discover deserters? You'd think the army would take issue with people running off with their stuff.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ensign Expendable posted:

Didn't they have some kind of means to discover deserters? You'd think the army would take issue with people running off with their stuff.
Life before photo ID was a trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just gonna mention that forgottenweapons.com has a crapload of really interesting obscure firearms (many of them military) from throughout history on it.

• Locked thread