Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Improbable Lobster posted:

I dunno guys, they might roll back the Physical/Special split any day now

And make Bug weak to Poison and Psychic immune to Ghost again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Oh wow, there's an Inverse battle house in Mauville. Glad that feature made it passed XY. I decide to take it on and my first opponent has a Moody Snorunt which naturally is only weak to Ice.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cerony posted:

Oh wow, there's an Inverse battle house in Mauville. Glad that feature made it passed XY. I decide to take it on and my first opponent has a Moody Snorunt which naturally is only weak to Ice.

You can also set your secret base up so all battles in it are Inverse.

You just need to buy a sign thing from Fortree.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Alteisen posted:

I always thought Mega's was a way to make usually lovely Pokemon a bit more viable.

But Mega Steelix, goddammit what a loving mess, no sheer force, now you get sand force which only works if there's a sandstorm and only buffs steel, rock and ground moves, so you have to waste a turn and move slot setting up a sandstorm, but hey he's immune to sand storm now!

Oh wait, HE ALREADY loving WAS.

I've always had a soft spot for Onix/Steelix and I was hyped about him getting a Mega form but this is garbage.

Bring a Tyranitar, he can work if you try

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Is there a Pokemon trading megathread? If not does anyone have any breeding reject skarmorys with brave bird roost whirlwind and spikes/stealth rocks? I just don't have the time to breed for egg moves let alone for IVs and nature. Either way thank you
FC 2165-6740-8097

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 25, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

RC Cola posted:

Is there a Pokemon trading megathread? If not does anyone have any breeding reject skarmorys with brave bird roost whirlwind and spikes/stealth rocks? I just don't have the time to breed for egg moves let alone for IVs and nature. Either way thank you

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3574421

I might actually have some in my copy of X or Bank. Lemme go check.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Alteisen posted:

I always thought Mega's was a way to make usually lovely Pokemon a bit more viable.

But Mega Steelix, goddammit what a loving mess, no sheer force, now you get sand force which only works if there's a sandstorm and only buffs steel, rock and ground moves, so you have to waste a turn and move slot setting up a sandstorm, but hey he's immune to sand storm now!

Oh wait, HE ALREADY loving WAS.

I've always had a soft spot for Onix/Steelix and I was hyped about him getting a Mega form but this is garbage.

Sheer Force doesn't boost Earthquake and Mega Steelix doesn't require your Steelix to have it's HA to get the boost.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Is it just me, or are the O-Power guys skeevy as hell?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

korusan posted:

Bring a Tyranitar, he can work if you try

you also have to pretend that excadrill doesn't exist

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Cicadas! posted:

Is it just me, or are the O-Power guys skeevy as hell?

Keep getting them. It gets better.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Ruggington posted:

Or just bring one with you.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I finally goy Alpha Sapphire! It's amazing how the gift Beldum just trashes mons, even if I overleveled him and now he's all "gently caress you, you're not my real dad".

less laughter posted:

And make Bug weak to Poison and Psychic immune to Ghost again
I've always thought that Bug being weak to Poison kinda made sense, since real insects are weak to pesticides. :downs:

Fake edit: poo poo, now that I think about it, the loss of the Poison weakness could be explained in-world by Bug types acquiring pesticide resistance over time.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

cheetah7071 posted:

Mega Eevee would transform into the corresponding evolution based on the type of whatever move it used.

It wouldn't be able to become Jolteon, Glaceon, or Leafeon, unless they give it moves of those types.

I love the Eeveelutions, but their movepools are such garbage.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Pentaro posted:

I've always thought that Bug being weak to Poison kinda made sense, since real insects are weak to pesticides. :downs:

Fake edit: poo poo, now that I think about it, the loss of the Poison weakness could be explained in-world by Bug types acquiring pesticide resistance over time.

Poison itself was also weak to Bug in gen I. Both were weak to each other.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Ruggington posted:

Unlike Excadrill, Mega Steelix isn't made out of tinfoil.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Captain Fargle posted:

Unlike Excadrill, Mega Steelix isn't made out of tinfoil.

110/60/65 is bulkier than it has any right to be

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

less laughter posted:

Well yeah, but how often could you use a bug-type move against a poison pokeyman in Gen I? String shot doesn't count!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Flannery's gym was kind of a joke. I will say that Gen 3 had probably one of the best Pokedexes of its time, but nothing really has come close to how awesome B/W and B/W2's available monsters was. Having three fire types to choose from makes for a pretty limited gym.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 25, 2014

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Pentaro posted:

Well yeah, but how often could you use a bug-type move against a poison pokeyman in Gen I? String shot doesn't count!

Leech Life, Pin Missile and Twineedle. If you picked Bulbasaur it was 4x weak to all those annoying Zubats' most used attack.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Man Gen 1 kinda sucked

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

less laughter posted:

Leech Life, Pin Missile and Twineedle. If you picked Bulbasaur it was 4x weak to all those annoying Zubats' most used attack.
Holy poo poo, you're right! I guess I blocked all those painful memories. Getting Leech Life'd while confused made me dread Mt. Moon.

Pureauthor posted:

Man Gen 1 kinda sucked

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

korusan posted:

It would've been cool if [Gen 3] Pokemon that just have their name as the nickname automatically had it full caps

Fun facts about nicknames:

Games before D/P had no idea if a Pokémon was nicknamed or not. Non-nicknamed Pokémon just had their nickname set to the species name. If you caught a Pokémon, didn't nickname it, then traded it to another language game where the species name was different, then evolved it, it would keep the old original species name as its nickname.

(Supposedly there is a terrible bug if you name a Japanese Onix "ONIX" and then evolve it in non-Japanese games, but I haven't been able to confirm that.)

In Gen 4, presumably because getting Pokémon from different regions became much easier with online trading, they introduced a bit in the Pokémon data that stored if it was nicknamed. Even when not nicknamed, though, it still stores the species name in the Nickname field. This is why, for example, Japanese unnicknamed Pokémon will stay Japanese when traded over to an English game, but will change to an English name when they evolve. Transferring a Pokémon from Gen 3 to Gen 4 will try set this bit appropriately, but only checks the species name of its own region, so transferring an English Pokémon with Japanese Gen 3/4 games sets the Nicknamed bit.

Western Gen 5 games changed the default names for ALLCAPS names to more normal Capitalized ones. Presumably because this change didn't happen in the original Japanese versions, transferring from Gen 4 to 5 doesn't change ALLCAPS names to Capitalized, even when its nickname bit indicates that it's not nicknamed.

The Poké Transporter in Gen 6 will revert unnicknamed Pokémon's nicknames to its species name on transfer, which effectively Capitalizes the ALLCAPS names. Due to the missing bit in Gen 3 and imperfect bit-setting in the transfer to Gen 4, though, it is possible for the Transporter to mess up and leave it in ALLCAPS.

Kinda funny how such old design decisions can still affect stuff after so many years and games.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I was thinking about building a team around metagross and tyranitar. Maybe skarmory as well. How viable is this with the nerf to sand stream?
And who else works well with them? Empoleon? Scizor?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Pureauthor posted:

Man Gen 1 kinda sucked

Only kinda? :v:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

Man Gen 1 kinda sucked

Gen 3 kinda sucks too. I like the things they're adding in this game [soaring, new megas, tutor moves] but I'm finding hoenn to be a dreadful bore. I was kind of expecting them to expand the pokemon pool in the remake, but it seems like they're trying to keep the regional pokedex small for the sake of hoenn's 'regional identity'.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Finally picked up my copy of OR. Dexnav is awesome but is making me take way too long because I try to complete every area.

What are some good early Pokemon to put on wonder trade?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

vulturesrow posted:

Finally picked up my copy of OR. Dexnav is awesome but is making me take way too long because I try to complete every area.

What are some good early Pokemon to put on wonder trade?
Zubat.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Welp, started up Alpha Saph with the intention of doing a WonderLocke run and got a Shiny Torchic. Guess I'm keeping this one!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I heard there's some thing you can get if you transfer a pokemon all the way from Generation III, what else do you have to do to get it?

Also I like that as soon as you get Surf you can go fight level 50 Sharpedos. DexNav is the best thing. Took a while to find a Speed Boost Shark but I got him in the end.

Also also in weird changes, wasn't Sea Mauville a crashed cruise ship before? I wonder why they changed it. Seems more interesting now anyway. In bad changes, they gutted the Trick House. Finished it already by the looks of things.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Pureauthor posted:

Man Gen 1 kinda sucked

I still enjoy Gen 1 for all the freedom it gave you for doing events in almost any order after the first two gyms. No other game has ever really came close to it in that regard.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Something I liked to do in Gen I was use Stsdium to transfer a Fresh Water to a new game and open up Saffron City really early on. They got wise to that for the remakes though.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Balon posted:

Welp, started up Alpha Saph with the intention of doing a WonderLocke run and got a Shiny Torchic. Guess I'm keeping this one!

I'm kinda curious, what's the general practice if you're doing a wonderlocke and get traded some high level monster. I'm planning on restarting soon, and one of the best things about that is trading away all your high leveled guys and hopefully making some kids day with a level 60 Mega Altaria :3:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

less laughter posted:

What? Bulbasaur is grass/poison, which is normally effective to bug. This has always been the case. I don't remember any of those moves being a problem in that game.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

less laughter posted:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I still can't get over some of the legitimate bugs in Gen 1, like Focus Energy cratering your crit rate instead of raising it.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Manatee Cannon posted:

What? Bulbasaur is grass/poison, which is normally effective to bug. This has always been the case. I don't remember any of those moves being a problem in that game.

That's probably because Zubat's Leech Life is a 20 base power attack off of 45 attack going up against something with much higher defense and probably a level advantage. Almost nothing used Pin Missile or Twineedle in RBY so that wasn't a problem either.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Gen I is always fun to go back to because it has its own rules you really need to learn. A least most Pokemon are fairly even since all they really learn are Normal type moves and STAB, so they're all equally terrible. It's also why you shouldn't use Charizard, that Pokemon has a terrible in game movepool and Fire types aren't that good, since what they're strong against (Ice and Grass) are either part Water anyway, or weak to a million other things (Bug, Flying, Poison, Ice), it's just not worth it.

I'll choose Blastoise all day, since it can learn its own Ice move and Surf you around. Charizard can't even Fly until Yellow. And Venusaur has a clusterfuck of a back sprite, so I'll choose that every now and then.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
holy poo poo, wally's final battle theme. :rock:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Manatee Cannon posted:

What? Bulbasaur is grass/poison, which is normally effective to bug. This has always been the case.

Grass/Poison was 4x weak to Bug in gen I, because Poison was weak to Bug. They made it resistant to Bug from gen II onwards, so Grass/Poison became neutral to Bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I've been thinking about restarting my Y save. Will I have to get another sync ID for Pokémon Global Link?

• Locked thread