Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Keiya posted:

You are a sad, strange little man.

Toy Story 4 needs to have Amiibos, Disney Infinity and Skylanders toys to keep up with the times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Wreck It Ralph 2 is just 90 minutes of John Lassiter clicking his Amiibos and Infinity Toya together.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Sire Oblivion posted:

Master Core is such a terribly designed final boss, what a piece of poo poo.

Do you like this game at all.

Serious question.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

japtor posted:

Was this posted here yet? Some dude "trained" three Yoshi Amiibos different ways and observed the results:
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2n4z7w/i_just_finished_a_small_amiibo_test_with_3_yoshis/

this is cool

Undersea Magic
Dec 16, 2006

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Uhh, which one of you has NNID UnderseaMagic?

The list of NNIDs in the OP hasn't been updated in a while, and I'm trying to figure out who sent me this friend request.

It's me, I'm who you're looking for

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Do you like this game at all.

Serious question.

He's not wrong, though. Master Core loving sucks, and makes Classic mode runs take way longer than they should.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I'm pretty awful, so bare with me if this is obvious, but if I'm below a stage trying to recover and an enemy Charizard is breathing fire over the edge... is there anything I can do to keep from getting knocked off? :(

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I'm pretty awful, so bare with me if this is obvious, but if I'm below a stage trying to recover and an enemy Charizard is breathing fire over the edge... is there anything I can do to keep from getting knocked off? :(

Stall somehow until it fizzles out? In the worst case scenario you can just keep up+Bing into the flame until it weakens so you can grab the edge at the cost of eating some damage.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
If you ever find gear labelled "Speed Crasher" you equip it. You build your character to be a speedster and you equip it the gently caress now. You're welcome.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Does anyone know if nintendo is going to be selling more of the gcn adapters? Or am I screwed because I didn't get one at launch.

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Can I do coop challenges online? Or any of the games n' more online with my bro?

Also wow. I have a decent win-rate online, but some of these people are absurdly good. I can't even touch them good. It would like to get better but :effort: on learning all that pivot dancing baloney. I'll just try to improve my spot dodging.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Speaking of pivot stuff: how do you do pivot grabs? Every time I try I just do a tilt or smash in the other direction.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
So it looks like amiibos get stat boosts even if you don't feed them equipment. Something seemed funny to me yesterday when Mario's uncharged f-smash killed me at like 60%. Then I switched over to my Samus amiibo, picked Samus for myself, and started paying attention to the damage. They do quite a lot more damage; my charged beam does 25% damage and the amiibo's does 42%. I guess that explains a lot.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Sorry guys, been pretty busy at work this week. Fyi op is up to date with all posted nnids.

Also added the irc room in there too

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Undersea Magic posted:

It's me, I'm who you're looking for

You really missed a great opportunity to reference the greatest song ever.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
For what it's worth, my NNID is Calaveron

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Master Core is fuckin awesome.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So basically your Amiibo observes your actions and repeat them right? I got mine collecting items but I have no idea why my Link keeps spamming his spin attack since I never showed him how to do that (maybe the computer player that we were playing did?)

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Anyone got any tips for getting good with Dedede. I normally perfer fast characters but the King is too Perfect for me not to learn. Other than smacking Gordos at people and pressing crouch what should I be doing?

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Anyone got any tips for getting good with Dedede. I normally perfer fast characters but the King is too Perfect for me not to learn. Other than smacking Gordos at people and pressing crouch what should I be doing?

His Up B move does a lot of damage and apparently has a pretty good area of damage around it when he lands. I got wrecked by a dude online because the other person kept using that in conjunction with the Gordos.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.

Wild Knight posted:

Speaking of pivot stuff: how do you do pivot grabs? Every time I try I just do a tilt or smash in the other direction.

I've been doing them by imagining the grab as a smash-attack-type motion. So you hit the other direction and then R+A at the same time (if anything, I am erring on the side of hitting R before A, although not by much). That said, it doesn't look like they add the crazy reach like in games before (at least not with Falco and Ganon, my two main dudes). Nor does it appear to quicken the lag time of the whiffed grab with Samus (who is the only ranged grab person Ive really tried with).

Still good for the trick of running past a guy and pivot grabbing, or pivot grabbing if they've position behind you.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I wish you could actually hit the menu buttons on your gamepad. It just copies what's on the screen, you can't interact at all with it. I think that's a pretty big oversight.

That and needing a loving SD card to take pictures what on earth

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Just got the game, if you wanna smash my friend name or whatever is Kurtofan.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

You should be using the gordos nearly constantly unless you're facing someone with a super quick, reliable response to them, which isn't many characters. They're good for spacing, edge guarding, pretty much everything. The best part is even if they get in too close to get hit by the gordo, your hammer swing will knock them backwards and they'll hit the gordo anyways. Basically they're the best projectiles in the game, bar none.

Other than that, a really under-appreciated move of his is his swallow move. It consistently does 10% damage and has pretty drat good range. It'll also suck people right up if they try to charge in for a dash attack. Use it as you come back on the stage and spit your opponent off the side. Use it on people edgeguarding and watch them rage quit when you suicide them.

Dedede has the best jab in the game. Use it all the time. Throw a gordo up high and then be ready with a jab combo when they try and get around it.

His smash attacks are all really good but take a long time to come out. His down smash is the only really quick one but is extremely useful for catching people rolling.

Dedede's up air is also great and is a great kill move. It takes priority over moves likes the bowser bomb or pretty much anyone's down air that doesn't have a ton of range.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 25, 2014

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

All Frogs posted:

His Up B move does a lot of damage and apparently has a pretty good area of damage around it when he lands.

Don't do this move except to grab the ledge, it's extremely punishable on block.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Sade posted:

Don't do this move except to grab the ledge, it's extremely punishable on block.

This is true but I'll add that it's also good if the other person is actively chasing you off the stage because you can sometimes catch them with it as they come back and if you miss they generally don't have time to retaliate.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
What's the least painful way to unlock alternate movesets? It seemed like I was unlocking way more of them on the 3DS version

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Maple Leaf posted:

It's... it's beautiful

How the hell did you manage it? It seems impossible.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Not sure if it's just my Pro controller, but it seems like hitting diagonals on the right analog stick produces neutral attacks. Is there a fix for this? It's pretty awkward trying to go for dair but neutral air pops out instead.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

MohShuvuu posted:

Not sure if it's just my Pro controller, but it seems like hitting diagonals on the right analog stick produces neutral attacks. Is there a fix for this? It's pretty awkward trying to go for dair but neutral air pops out instead.

I haven't had this problem with my pro controller but I do dairs with the right stick.

Edit: missed the part where you also mentioned using the right stick. Just stop hitting the diagonal I guess.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 25, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Macaluso posted:

I wish you could actually hit the menu buttons on your gamepad. It just copies what's on the screen, you can't interact at all with it. I think that's a pretty big oversight.
Yeah that's particularly obnoxious on the player select screen. Are there quick button commands for changing your name/control set or changing teams there or do you have to drag the hand (to the relatively small targets) every time?

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007

MohShuvuu posted:

That's by design; it was the same in Brawl. The primary solution is that you just have to clean up your inputs since it's only exactly diagonal that registers as neutral. Or you could set the stick to smash instead of attack. Another option is that you're playing online and the lag is eating the directional input, which I've had happen a few times, too.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

MohShuvuu posted:

This is intentional, and only happens if R/C stick is set to "attack" or "special" rather than "smash". It enables neutral-airs/neutral-Bs while moving freely through the air by hitting the diagonal.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Kaethela posted:

How the hell did you manage it? It seems impossible.

I went with Lucario. Pump him full of defense mods, which will hurt your speed, but since he gets stronger the more damage he takes, you're laughing. His recovery is unaffected by the speed deficit, too. If you're caught in a clusterfuck, spam down+b, which, if it triggers, 1) covers a wider area than most other counters, 2) you're invincible until the end of the animation, and 3) it launches Lucario out of the area and thus out of danger.

Use his Snaring Aura Sphere if you have it unlocked. Fire one and hide yourself in it and you're untouchable for as long as it lasts. Try to find equipment that has secondary deficits you don't care about - a favourite of mine was any badge that took away my invincibility off the recovery platform because it barely took away any stats and I wasn't going to need that invincibility anyway.

Master Beast was probably the biggest pain in the rear end for me. Generally, just don't attack it at all and counter everything it does. Also, remember that every enemy in Master Fortress is grab-able - huge help for fighting Stalfos. A fully charged Snaring Aura Sphere can destroy a heart in two or three hits (and one sphere hits multiple times), depending on your Aura, so you can launch one and then run away if you need to.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Is it possible to be in a party with friends and join for glory matches? I can't figure out how to do it with my buddy and it seems like I encounter gimmick pairs pretty often.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Yo my NNID is thecomicfiend. I'll see if I can hop on sometime tonight.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's going to be a little funny but mostly really depressing when the pros start getting into Smash 4 and ban all the stages.

You can play on Battlefield, Final Destination, Kongo 64, Smashville, Town and City, and Duck Hunt.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

You should be using the gordos nearly constantly unless you're facing someone with a super quick, reliable response to them, which isn't many characters. They're good for spacing, edge guarding, pretty much everything. The best part is even if they get in too close to get hit by the gordo, your hammer swing will knock them backwards and they'll hit the gordo anyways. Basically they're the best projectiles in the game, bar none.

Other than that, a really under-appreciated move of his is his swallow move. It consistently does 10% damage and has pretty drat good range. It'll also suck people right up if they try to charge in for a dash attack. Use it as you come back on the stage and spit your opponent off the side. Use it on people edgeguarding and watch them rage quit when you suicide them.

Dedede has the best jab in the game. Use it all the time. Throw a gordo up high and then be ready with a jab combo when they try and get around it.

His smash attacks are all really good but take a long time to come out. His down smash is the only really quick one but is extremely useful for catching people rolling.

Dedede's up air is also great and is a great kill move. It takes priority over moves likes the bowser bomb or pretty much anyone's down air that doesn't have a ton of range.

Great advice all, thank you!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Yoshi's Wooly World is a terrible stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Being able to browse Miiverse from work is sublime.

• Locked thread