Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it

Tin Gang posted:

I just got a new medium auto siphon and the plastic cracked after one use. It wasn't manhandled or exposed to heat. It just fell apart. I am very confused.

Just got my replacement auto-siphon. Ordered off the internet this time instead. It arrived broken in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Fluo posted:

:( drat, last years exchange was awesome.

ive been ignoring SA lately due to work related no time left in life, but I can run it again this year if people want. This would be the 4th year of homebrew thread secret santa.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Paladine_PSoT posted:

ive been ignoring SA lately due to work related no time left in life, but I can run it again this year if people want.
Please do!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

ive been ignoring SA lately due to work related no time left in life, but I can run it again this year if people want. This would be the 4th year of homebrew thread secret santa.

That'd own!

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Wow and here i was just about to ask about the secret santa cause I've been away. Im down for this year too!

Also edit: anyone have a dark star burner? And thoughts if so?

Marshmallow Blue fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 22, 2014

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Yes please

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

j3rkstore posted:

Would WY1056 be a good strain for a Chocolate Stout or am I better off with WY1272 or WY1450?

I personally have a boner for WLP023 Burton Ale and WLP028 Edinburgh ale but I also reckon an Irish ale yeast would be good for this beer

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
I like London Ale for stouts.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
A gentle reminder to all of you American BIABers – the equipment you use to make your beer likely dovetails almost perfectly with the hardware needed to fry a Thanksgiving turkey!

The pot I use came with a nested strainer with a handle. I use a ratchet strung from a ladder to hoist the turkey-filled strainer in & out. That's all you need to make the best goddamn turkey you've ever made (aside from the peanut oil of course).

I have clung to the Alton Brown recipe/steps with great success: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/deep-fried-turkey-recipe.html

As for concerns about tainting your brew pot with peanut oil/turkey bits/random poo poo you throw in later because it's fun to fry things, just ensure that you clean it as you would after any other brew day, do it very shortly after you're able to safely empty the oil, and you'll be fine.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Just outta curiosity who's used the Yeast Bay strains melànge and Brett amalgamation? I hopefully will be getting a chance to play with them soon, and am wondering if anyone has tips? I'm doing a wallonian farmhouse saison soon, and thinking about an all Brett trois farmhouse something too. Opinions?

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!
I have not used them personally, but have only heard good things.

If they weren't so expensive I'd pick them up, tbqh.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
I'm trying to run some cleaning solution through my lines of my kegerator that has been unused for two years.

I have a keg of PBW solution hooked up, CO2 on (and I saw some liquid press through the lines) but nothing is coming out the other end when I turn the tap.

Any ideas? I'd really like to take the hoses off completely but I can't figure out how to undo those Jose clamps... (Bought th kegerator premade)

http://imgur.com/a/qWkIZ

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
My suggestion would be to replace the lines if you can figure out how to disconnect them.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Anyone made hybrid lagers with WY 2112? I made a steam today and just wondering if I can do 2 full weeks at 58 or should I do a diacetyl rest at some point?

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

ashgromnies posted:

I'm trying to run some cleaning solution through my lines of my kegerator that has been unused for two years.

I have a keg of PBW solution hooked up, CO2 on (and I saw some liquid press through the lines) but nothing is coming out the other end when I turn the tap.

Any ideas? I'd really like to take the hoses off completely but I can't figure out how to undo those Jose clamps... (Bought th kegerator premade)

http://imgur.com/a/qWkIZ

We have the same one at work (but with three taps) and if you want to replace the hoses, you need to disassemble the entire thing. Plus, after two years of no use, you'll really want to replace them. To access the hoses, unscrew the nut inside right in front of the 90 degree bend (which is a pain in the rear end), you should be able the pull the hoses up from there, then use a big set of clippers or a wrench to yank off the compression clamp.

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d

Syrinxx posted:

Anyone made hybrid lagers with WY 2112? I made a steam today and just wondering if I can do 2 full weeks at 58 or should I do a diacetyl rest at some point?

I did a bock with it before i had temperature control and it was at 58-60 the entire time and it was quite good.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Looking at an English IPA tomorrow. Not sure what I'm doing on the bill. Maybe
60% pale malt
30% munich
5% Melanoidin
5% some crystal (maybe caramunich 2)

Now for the leaf hops
Boadicea
Pilgrim
Crystal

I'm partial to boadicea because I've never heard of it before and nobody has ever had it. I have a pound of it.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

:siren: :beerpal: Goonbrew Secret Santa :beerpal: :siren:

Standard rules apply, you have to be legal age in your jurisdiction, you have to understand the rules that apply to you for shipping beer, you accept responsibility for everything you do, blah blah blah. Let's send eachother beer.

I'll leave the form up until like 12/1 and see how it looks. Noone will be matched internationally so in order to find you a match we need multiple people from your country. If you're the only Somali to try to join the exchange we won't be able to find a partner for you, sorry. I think in the past we have been successful with USA, AUS, and UK.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I ordered 3 Better Bottles online not long ago but the store I ordered from shipped one and contacted me and said they only had one in stock and asked if I'd be ok with substituting 2 Vintage carboys. I said sure as long as the bungs they shipped with the one Better Bottle fit these as well. They assured me the bungs I ordered fit. Cut to tonight and I bet you can guess what just happened. I racked into a carboy that I have no way to seal. The medium bungs that work on Better Bottles are too small and the large bung I use on one of my other carboys is too big. They're some weird size that's just slightly larger than a better bottle. It creates no seal at all. Great. I already sent them an email so now I'm just venting and hoping that this batch isn't completely ruined.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
I am looking at investing in a grain mill. I saw a few builds on HBT where you can buy a cheapo $30 grain crusher on ebay, but a larger hopper on it and widen the rollers, and you are good to go. Anyone try this?

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I ordered 3 Better Bottles online not long ago but the store I ordered from shipped one and contacted me and said they only had one in stock and asked if I'd be ok with substituting 2 Vintage carboys. I said sure as long as the bungs they shipped with the one Better Bottle fit these as well. They assured me the bungs I ordered fit. Cut to tonight and I bet you can guess what just happened. I racked into a carboy that I have no way to seal. The medium bungs that work on Better Bottles are too small and the large bung I use on one of my other carboys is too big. They're some weird size that's just slightly larger than a better bottle. It creates no seal at all. Great. I already sent them an email so now I'm just venting and hoping that this batch isn't completely ruined.

Interim measure, put foil over the top and secure with a rubber band.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Standard rules apply, you have to be legal age in your jurisdiction, you have to understand the rules that apply to you for shipping beer, you accept responsibility for everything you do, blah blah blah. Let's send eachother beer.

I'll leave the form up until like 12/1 and see how it looks. Noone will be matched internationally so in order to find you a match we need multiple people from your country. If you're the only Somali to try to join the exchange we won't be able to find a partner for you, sorry. I think in the past we have been successful with USA, AUS, and UK.

Awesome! I've submitted! :)

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Paladine_PSoT posted:

No field for email address? I suppose I could have put it in with my mailing address, but I didn't think of that until just now.

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more
Just realised I didn't put my name as part of my address :downsgun:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Thank you!

Bobsledboy posted:

Just realised I didn't put my name as part of my address :downsgun:
:ughh: I did this too

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

I added name and email address fields, just pm me if you didnt put them in previously, or resubmit the form, or whatever

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I just want to add my 2 cents on a general thing after seeing so many people on Instagram/brewing forums. Also a general guide for new Brewers.

1. Don't make just clones. Do yourself a favour and experiment. You might just crack a winner
2. Start simple. My first recipe sucked dicks because I went overboard on a specialty and it hosed the beer. It was dryer than a nun's minge
3. Learn to brew to style before brewing retarded "coffee oatmeal raisin milk toast dick cheese porter". It will help you to understand better how to use ingredients to best unlock certain characteristics.
4. Learn how to wrangle yeast properly. Starters, beer yeasts from the bottle, liquid cultures are way better and more varied than dry yeast.
5. On that note though, also realise dry yeast can be good. Use them in experiments if you're changing a malt or hop.
6. Learn how to use a water profile. One of the best things I can recommend is to modify your water to suit the style, especially for style based judging. English bitter? Burton on Trent. Bohemian Pilsner - Pilsen. Trappist ale? Try match a brewery who brews the best of style.
7. Don't just stick to a class. Don't just only do pale ales, or whatever. Experiment. See what you like by drinking commercial and craft. Brew sours and farmhouse because they are a challenge to get right.
8. Get beersmith. Seriously. It saves all your work, has a cloud, you can scale recipes, substitute, set up equipment profiles. Don't gently caress around its only like $20-30.

Rant over. Also sour beers rule but I had a bad commercial Kriek yesterday and it made me mad

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I added name and email address fields, just pm me if you didnt put them in previously, or resubmit the form, or whatever

Resubmitted!

I hope you guys like berry wine, stout, and cider!

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.
I'm thinking about submitting, but I only have sour beers that I could send. Depending on who I get, they might think that is really awesome or really awful.

Cointelprofessional fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 25, 2014

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

Cointelprofessional posted:

I'm thinking about submitting, but I only have sour beers that I could send. Depending on who I get, they might think that is really awesome or really awful.

Well I hope you're matched with me then!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Welp. Went to put my new keg of beer into my fermenting/keg fridge only to discover that I totally forgot about a gallon of cider that I had bought. Looks like it has fermented (and somehow not exploded) at like 43°. Should be interesting...

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Anyone ever add lactose to a keg? I have a porter that came out with a great flavor but it could really use more body and sweetness. I'm thinking about pulling off about a quart of beer and boiling a half pound of lactose with it to avoid watering it down any more.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

ScaerCroe posted:

I am looking at investing in a grain mill. I saw a few builds on HBT where you can buy a cheapo $30 grain crusher on ebay, but a larger hopper on it and widen the rollers, and you are good to go. Anyone try this?

It's a Victoria/Corona mill, and I have a friend who did it, but with the crazy ugly poo poo he did to make it work, I can't imagine it was much cheaper than $100 shipped and it just shredded the hulls pretty bad. He got really inconsistent efficiency.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I've been going through my kegs to eliminate issues, especially leaks. I'm replacing poppets and seals, mainly. I found a keg off to the side that looks like I haven't used it in a while. It has written on the side, "Out poppet leaks" in Sharpie. Since I recently picked up some universal poppets, I pulled the out post off and replace the poppet. Then I opened the lid to see how badly it needs cleaning. It still has 7-up syrup in the bottom. Apparently, I have never used this keg. I have no recollection of buying it and putting it aside as unusable, so it must have been years ago. It seems I have enough kegs.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Are there grain mills suitable for brewing that would also be capable of milling flours for baking? I might be able to justify a purchase if that was the case.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I don't think so. Brewing mills crush the kernels into several pieces, rather than actually grinding them into flour. But by spending money on a mill and some storage bins, you could buy base malts by the sack and drive down your costs, eventually saving money.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Are there grain mills suitable for brewing that would also be capable of milling flours for baking? I might be able to justify a purchase if that was the case.

Not really, the goals are different. For brewing you want to basically "peel" the husk off the endosperm and break the endosperm into a few pieces, whereas for making flour you want everything pulverized into... flour.

The way I was able to justify the purchase is that I'd have to go to the LHBS less frequently, and I could buy base malt in bulk. If the mill hasn't paid for itself so far, it will within another year, for sure. The cheapest base malts at my LHBS are $1.60/lb, up to $2.15/lb for floor malted Bohemian Pilsner. I get 2-row for about $0.60/lb and imported malts for about $1.00/lb, and I've used my mill on 13 batches so far. That probably makes it pay for itself right there.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

more falafel please posted:

Not really, the goals are different. For brewing you want to basically "peel" the husk off the endosperm and break the endosperm into a few pieces, whereas for making flour you want everything pulverized into... flour.

The way I was able to justify the purchase is that I'd have to go to the LHBS less frequently, and I could buy base malt in bulk. If the mill hasn't paid for itself so far, it will within another year, for sure. The cheapest base malts at my LHBS are $1.60/lb, up to $2.15/lb for floor malted Bohemian Pilsner. I get 2-row for about $0.60/lb and imported malts for about $1.00/lb, and I've used my mill on 13 batches so far. That probably makes it pay for itself right there.

Yeah, wishful thinking I guess. My LHBS is cheap enough that I'd only save $3 per batch going bulk. With the amount I brew it would probably take years to break even. I'm already committed to getting 4 kegs from a group buy Then I'll need all the other hardware for kegging, another chest freezer, etc. :homebrew:

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Signed up for santa again! Gonna send out some cool stuffffs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

ScaerCroe posted:

more falafel please posted:

It's a Victoria/Corona mill, and I have a friend who did it, but with the crazy ugly poo poo he did to make it work, I can't imagine it was much cheaper than $100 shipped and it just shredded the hulls pretty bad. He got really inconsistent efficiency.
ScaerCroe specifically mentioned "rollers", so I assumed that wasn't referring to a Corona? *shrug*

Anyway, I have less than $50 in my "ugly" Corona mill setup, and it works pretty well for BIAB. If I were doing it again, though, I would just get one of the AIH Cereal Killers and be done with it.