Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Narcissus1916 posted:

The Wii U's sudden success is a weird story, to say the least. I've had my Wii U for a few months and I'd roughly lay out these reasons as such..
1) While the Wii U has had time to build up its library, its also been surging because Nintendo's own game development hasn't been this good in a very long while. Mario Kart 8 is one of the best entries in the franchise, Tropical Freeze has so many hardcore fans' panties in a bunch, and Smash Wii U seems to fix what a lot of people (myself included) hated about Brawl. Nintendo isn't just releasing their exclusives, they're making them drat good too.

And although I expected Sony and Microsoft to have a rough first year games library (with the added tit punch of no backwards compatibility), I don't think anyone expected it to be this dire. There's a smattering of titles that play best on next generation consoles, but system sellers are nowhere to be found. Exclusives are just as absent; with Sony burning a ton of their advert money treating Destiny like a system exclusive.

2) Should Nintendo have switched to HD years ago? Yes. But that doesn't take away from the eye popping ridiculousness of seeing Nintendo classics without SD jaggies. Meanwhile, PS4 and Xbone both appear to be radically underpowered, and not just in comparison to $2000 PC rigs. There was a gigantic drop from my 360 to a Wii, even in the earliest of days. Not so here, at all.

3) I invited two friends over to my place for pizza and beer. We finally sat down to play some videogames... and realized that the list of non-Nintendo console games that support local multiplayer is micropenis small. The best we had were arcade titles and 2 player pass the controller aggravation.

Compare this to the Wii U's flush of multiplayer titles.

4) Its $200 for a refurbished Wii U that runs like new. A year ago I didn't know a single person who owned one. Now, I know about four people who had one before me, and three people who bought a console after trying out mine.

5) Nintendo absolutely loving killed it at E3. The amount of people I've seen and heard from that have said they bought a WiiU because of this year's E3 is crazy. And now the system has a whole pile of great games with more coming, it's never been a better time to get back on the Nintendo train.

ImpAtom posted:

I think people are overestimating the Wii U's turnaround a bit. It's doing better than it did but still performing lower than it should considering it threw out the absolutely devastating combo of Mario Kart and Smash. Only a new Zelda could give them a bigger boost. There's a fairly reasonable chance that it's going to start going downhill again fairly quickly, especially since they don't seem to have many big names on the way besides Zelda which is an unknown period of time away. I'm pretty hype for Splatoon but it's an unproven IP in a genre which frequently doesn't do well. (Mixing shooter gameplay and cutesy graphics) and Xenoblade 2 is a niche JRPG.

Basically, I won't be surprised if within six months the doom and gloom is back.

you should take antidepressants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I have a PS4 controller I use for PC gaming and prior to picking up my Wii U in June the PS4 controller was my favorite controller. I picked it up for the first time in months last night and it didn't feel right after using the Pro Controller for months. I hosed around in Dark Souls 2 for about 30 minutes and just couldn't get used to the controller again. I'm afraid Nintendo has ruined me.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Macaluso posted:

5) Nintendo absolutely loving killed it at E3. The amount of people I've seen and heard from that have said they bought a WiiU because of this year's E3 is crazy. And now the system has a whole pile of great games with more coming, it's never been a better time to get back on the Nintendo train.

E3 this year certainly made me more interested as a whole in Nintendo. Splatoon wouldn't grab me normally, but I want that, and I got a bit more invested in pestering people to get a Wii U so I could play with them online.

THey do need to sort out the online though, and get an infrastructure that's as robust as xbox live with less massive cunts.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Narcissus1916 posted:

The Wii U's sudden success is a weird story, to say the least. I've had my Wii U for a few months and I'd roughly lay out these reasons as such..
1) While the Wii U has had time to build up its library, its also been surging because Nintendo's own game development hasn't been this good in a very long while. Mario Kart 8 is one of the best entries in the franchise, Tropical Freeze has so many hardcore fans' panties in a bunch, and Smash Wii U seems to fix what a lot of people (myself included) hated about Brawl. Nintendo isn't just releasing their exclusives, they're making them drat good too.

I know I am biased because I happen to be enjoying their latest offerings, but some of their recent entries into longrunning franchises (3d World and Tropical Freeze being good examples) feels like they genuinely tried to make a game that feels like the best or one of the best instead of simply making a good game. I feel a sense of joy and wonder when playing those games that I rarely feel from any games.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Macaluso posted:

you should take antidepressants

He was the #3 poster in the Wii U hate thread. He's excited at the thought of posting numbers again.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Alpha, ImpAtom's escaped, assemble five must-buy titles with attitude !!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
There are console hate threads? What the hell? Are we on NeoGAF or something?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

RyokoTK posted:

They're mainly just places to make jokes about video games without being reported by the No Fun Brigade. It's sad that it's necessary but people on these forums hate jokes in their serious video game threads.

I mean that's my impression of the Xbone shark tank thread at least, idk much about the Wii U one

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

RyokoTK posted:

From what I understand (having only read some of it), back when the Wii U's situation was a lot more troublesome, discussions on bashing it vs holding out hope got... heated, especially when it came to stuff like hardware sales. So a thread was spun off to discuss the Wii U's performance specifically, which largely proved negative since, well, its not exactly performed great either. So, discussion on why it was failing turned into discussions of why it sucked (in the eyes of those it believed it did anyway), and thus it became nominally a 'hate' thread. Eventually got closed because it wound up needlessly going in circles over the same drat points.

I know there's an Xbox One thread around for those who dislike it, not sure on the PS4.

Reality
Sep 26, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

I have a PS4 controller I use for PC gaming and prior to picking up my Wii U in June the PS4 controller was my favorite controller. I picked it up for the first time in months last night and it didn't feel right after using the Pro Controller for months. I hosed around in Dark Souls 2 for about 30 minutes and just couldn't get used to the controller again. I'm afraid Nintendo has ruined me.

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Wii-Pro-Controller-Adapter/dp/B00E6553PW

Now you can keep using the superior controller everywhere.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
The WiiU thread was because people get tired of reading "see! nintendo is really going bankrupt now! How could they be so stupid?? Why not just release mother 3 and a new f zero? Why are they releasing ANOTHER Pokemon game?" And no-one could discuss the wiiu because everyone was a seasoned investor apparently.

The xbone got its own thread because people wanted to actually discuss the xbox and not repeat the same 3 jokes over and over.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The best thing about the WiiU hate thread was watching it implode during E3 and become the "poo poo I want a WiiU" thread

I_Like_Me
Dec 26, 2004
Apparently Wonderful 101 is ringing up for $6 at Kmart.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Astro Nut posted:

Eventually got closed because it wound up needlessly going in circles over the same drat points.

It is still open, no one posts it in because the Wii U freaking owns.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Well the WiiU Bestbuy black friday deal is live but its online only with no in-store pickup so you'd have to wait two weeks for shipping. That's a real bummer. Now Im not sure where to grab a wiiu.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

SarutosZero posted:

Well the WiiU Bestbuy black friday deal is live but its online only with no in-store pickup so you'd have to wait two weeks for shipping. That's a real bummer. Now Im not sure where to grab a wiiu.

Is that the bundle that has Smash and Tropical Freeze and like one or two other games or something because that is worth the wait I think

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Macaluso posted:

Is that the bundle that has Smash and Tropical Freeze and like one or two other games or something because that is worth the wait I think

I was really looking forward to playing smash after I finished my CPA exam on Friday :(.

e; Target has a wiiu with cat mario that comes with a $25 gift card. I might just do that and pick up donkey kong later when I can get it for cheaper.

Orthodox Rabbit fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 25, 2014

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

SarutosZero posted:

e; Target has a wiiu with cat mario that comes with a $25 gift card. I might just do that and pick up donkey kong later when I can get it for cheaper.

Smash and Mario Kart are amazing but I'm pretty sure that 3d World will eventually be remembered as the console's strongest title. It's amazing, has better local multiplayer than Kart (no splitscreen), and goes on forever. Get the bundle!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Do you know the method to make Nintendon't recognize the GameCube adapter for the Wii U? Please explain like you would to a child (physical connections + menu items).
Umm. Kind of but I haven't done it yet.
1) First you should run smash bros with the adapter plugged in once to 'activate' it. You only ever have to do this once, not every time or anything. (If you don't have Smash Bros there is some other weird way). Make sure it works.
2) Set up Nintendont normally. Use the newest version.
3) If you might use other controllers as well, Extract this .zip to a folder named "controllers" off the root of your SD card.
4) If that doesn't work or if you only ever plan on using Gamecube controllers, get "controller_Nintendo_Wii_U_GameCube_Adapter.ini" here, rename it to "controller.ini", and put it on the SD card root.
5) In Nintendont when selecting a game, press + (I think) to go to the game's launch settings.
6) Turn on 'Use HID Controller' and whatever the virtual memory card thing is.
7) Boot the game, it should work!
8) If the controller doesn't work, try going back a version or two. Make sure controller is plugged into back bottom USB port.
9) If no game boots period, try other ISOs or storage devices. Plug storage medium into back top USB port. If music and cutscenes run like poo poo when playing from SDHC card, format SDHC card. I had trouble with this and had to format it a special way. Report problems in its official thread for faster help than the google code page.

ChaosArgate posted:

Some hard drives go idle after long periods of inactivity.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Isn't this a huge pain in the rear end because you have to turn a switch on every time you want to play the WiiU? I mean I understand how lazy that makes me sound, but turning the WiiU on by the gamepad only to have to go up to the TV, flick on a hard drive switch, and restart the system seems kind of annoying. Either that or have an external hard drive turned on 24/7?

I was able to get my external working with a Y-cable but I do get the "you unplugged the hard drive!!!!" error once in a while (if the system has been idled for a very long time).

You two should try turning off hard drive idle.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658946&pagenumber=219#post437996365

Jsor posted:

One Weird Trick To Make Your Wii U Stop Crashing:

Okay, so it turns out that the Wii U 5.0 update broke a bunch of external hard drives. The Wii U will freak out and think it lost power when the drive goes into sleep mode, or sometimes just randomly, causing it to launch a black screen with the error code 160-2713. You'll probably first notice this as none of your games showing up on the Wii U menu, or the quick start menu, even when the drive is obviously connected and powered. However, it will eventually get worse, and crash while trying to read or write to the drive (downloading games, saving data, launching games, etc).

First, if you've started encountering this, you probably won't be able to actually get to settings. This is probably due to sleep mode. Unplug your HDD and plug it back in before booting up the Wii U, this should buy you enough time. (You may be able to actually enable this setting without having the drive plugged in at all, I'm not sure)

Now, go to Settings -> Data and Storage Management. Don't select either option in the menu (the data management or the formatting option). Instead, hold down on the D-Pad, +, and - at the same time for a few seconds. This will launch a box asking if you want to disable sleep mode on external hard drives. Say you want to disable it and your Wii U should work again with the external. I'm recording this for posterity in case anyone else has this problem.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 25, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The best thing about the WiiU hate thread was watching it implode during E3 and become the "poo poo I want a WiiU" thread

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It is still open, no one posts it in because the Wii U freaking owns.

Hahahahaha, for real? Would anyone be able to link, because I wanna see where it kicks in.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Astro Nut posted:

Hahahahaha, for real? Would anyone be able to link, because I wanna see where it kicks in.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549771

It fizzled out because the thread got really poo poo and derailed. I'd still love to see graphs of the Wii U doing terribly.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The best part of that thread is when the FYAD dude causes the other guy to meltdown

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

RyokoTK posted:

The Xbone shark tank thread was more or less a spot to enjoy the Xbone schadenfreude with broken promises, consistent 180s and laughing at crushed dreams on the Xbone reddit. Nowadays it's become more about general Microsoft hilarity, and 343 ruining the Halo franchise with the abortion that is Halo: MCC.

edit: oh yeah there's the occasional FYAD meltdown too. Overall the shark tank threads are pretty fun if you don't take video games seriously.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I purchased a Wii U about a month ago (after swearing off Nintendo forever after the Wii hacked me off) as my first "next gen" system because it looked like it had good games while the others were a sea of ports and generic fodder. It's also been nice being able to play games without worrying the kids will see them. Mario Kart, Mario 3d land, and Tropical Freeze and Shovel Knight were all loving great. Sadly, I can't get into Smash Bros. Oh well. I'm pumped for Captain Toad next week!

One of the great things about the Wii U was I've gotten to go back and try games in the Wii library that came out after I sold mine (early 2007) so that's an added bonus. I picked up Punch-Out!! and it loving rules because that is the master franchise. Should I pickup Skyward Sword? Is it an endless sea of waggling?

Anyways, as someone who used to be all "BLOOD AND GUTS" I guess I've just found it refreshing to not have that kind of poo poo in games. Don't get me wrong, I'll have a PS4 in time for the Witcher and Bloodborne, but the Wii U has been a nice change of pace. Nintendo really is firing on all cylinders right now.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549771

It fizzled out because the thread got really poo poo and derailed. I'd still love to see graphs of the Wii U doing terribly.

poo poo I forgot this thread had the "Gaming Ambrosia" post. The greatest post in history

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's the first footage of the "new" Rodea the Sky Soldier for Wii U/3DS. You won't believe it used to be a Wii game!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyWf0PUU-28

Why does that guy have a grappling hook stuck up his rear end?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

A listing for ZombiU 2 taking place in NY was listed on Amazon France with a Oct. '15 release date but it's been taken down already.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Narcissus1916 posted:

The Wii U's sudden success is a weird story, to say the least.

Not really, I'd say it owes a lot to being the only presentation at e3 that was not only not dreadfully boring, but seemed to actually have cool and original stuff. It certainly got me interested.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

A listing for ZombiU 2 taking place in NY was listed on Amazon France with a Oct. '15 release date but it's been taken down already.

That would be really cool but I don't wanna get my hopes up because I think Amazon France have done this a few times now. I remember they had a Wii U Kid Icarus Uprising listed for a while like a year ago

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

SeANMcBAY posted:

Don't play with Kewpuh's emotions like that, his heart can't take it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Heran Bago posted:

Umm. Kind of but I haven't done it yet.
1) First you should run smash bros with the adapter plugged in once to 'activate' it. You only ever have to do this once, not every time or anything. (If you don't have Smash Bros there is some other weird way). Make sure it works.
2) Set up Nintendont normally. Use the newest version.
3) If you might use other controllers as well, Extract this .zip to a folder named "controllers" off the root of your SD card.
4) If that doesn't work or if you only ever plan on using Gamecube controllers, get "controller_Nintendo_Wii_U_GameCube_Adapter.ini" here, rename it to "controller.ini", and put it on the SD card root.
5) In Nintendont when selecting a game, press + (I think) to go to the game's launch settings.
6) Turn on 'Use HID Controller' and whatever the virtual memory card thing is.
7) Boot the game, it should work!
8) If the controller doesn't work, try going back a version or two. Make sure controller is plugged into back bottom USB port.
9) If no game boots period, try other ISOs or storage devices. Plug storage medium into back top USB port. If music and cutscenes run like poo poo when playing from SDHC card, format SDHC card. I had trouble with this and had to format it a special way. Report problems in its official thread for faster help than the google code page.

You two should try turning off hard drive idle.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658946&pagenumber=219#post437996365

This is really interesting but I was not able to find this anywhere: can you play Gamecube games on the WiiU's tablet? Using the WiiU tablet as the screen?

Also has there been any reports of Nintendo patching this hack out or banning anyone who uses it? My guess is Nintendo has no access to what's going on in Wii mode from the WiiU but I'd like to be sure.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 25, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

This is really interesting but I couldn't be able to find this anywhere: can you play Gamecube games on the WiiU's tablet? Using the WiiU tablet as the screen?

Also has there been any reports of Nintendo patching this hack out or banning anyone who uses it? My guess is Nintendo has no access to what's going on in Wii mode from the WiiU but I'd like to be sure.

You can use the gamepad screen as another screen, but the controls won't work. Nintendo can't do anything about vWii hacks without doing a complete overhaul of vWii mode which I don't think they can do.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I was definitely one of those people.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ChaosArgate posted:

You can use the gamepad screen as another screen, but the controls won't work. Nintendo can't do anything about vWii hacks without doing a complete overhaul of vWii mode which I don't think they can do.

Awesome. Thank you.

There's legitimately no reason to have a regular Wii hooked up any longer, is there? I can't think of even the most obscure of scenarios that would warrant it, unless someone can think of one.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Is there a way to use the GC controller via the USB adapter on Wii games that support it?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Is there a way to use the GC controller via the USB adapter on Wii games that support it?

I don't think there is. That's pretty much the only reason to keep a Wii. If you are using it for Gamecube backwards compatibility and don't want to use Nintendon't on the Wii U.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Awesome. Thank you.

There's legitimately no reason to have a regular Wii hooked up any longer, is there? I can't think of even the most obscure of scenarios that would warrant it, unless someone can think of one.

I know I threw out my gc console when I got my wii but I kept the games and controllers so maybe for the backward compatibility?

ef;b

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

I keep mine hooked up as a dedicated Melee/Brawl/Project M/Smash 64 box, since it supports gamecube games and controllers, but other than the Smash bros series, yeah, every game works just fine on the WiiU.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

One of the great things about the Wii U was I've gotten to go back and try games in the Wii library that came out after I sold mine (early 2007) so that's an added bonus. I picked up Punch-Out!! and it loving rules because that is the master franchise. Should I pickup Skyward Sword? Is it an endless sea of waggling?

Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are some of the best platformers ever made and you should check them out.

Skyward Sword is not good even if you're cool with the controls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
The Wooly World stage in Smash is so loving adorable. Is it weird that the games I'm most excited about are Captain toad, Yoshi, and Kirby?

Also, playing the Gamer stage makes me want to finally pick up that wario game. And then the amiibos! loving Nintendo, making me want to buy poo poo.

• Locked thread