Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
How do I actually fight the hinterlands dragon? I came back at a higher level, it started shooting fire at me, and then it apparently flew away (never landed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vehementi posted:

How do I actually fight the hinterlands dragon? I came back at a higher level, it started shooting fire at me, and then it apparently flew away (never landed).

Back and to the left. :v:

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Harrow posted:

Mostly how they're behaving in Inquisition, though to be fair I haven't played the Templar quest yet, so I'm assuming it's Corypheus's fault, not the Templars'.

I went Templar route. Major spoiler. The only thing the Templars did wrong was follow orders. An Envy demon was impersonating the Lord Seeker, and ordered everybody to start eating Red Lyrium. Keep in mind it wasn't particularly uncommon for the Templars to be given experimental Lyrium by their COs since they have to take it for their anti-magic powers. A lot of them did it because in the short term it gave them superpowers and because their commanders were making them. Even faced with execution for treason many of the Templars refused.

I'm 100% certain the Templar route is the right route.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bob NewSCART posted:

How/where do you get these things?

I got my first one as a schematic. No idea when/where. I don't see very many drop as items though which is a shame because they are 1000x better than regular daggers. I'm close to end game on my Rogue and my master crafted dualies are almost 400 DPS with Hidden Dagger and Chain Lightning procs, 24% armor pen a piece and a bunch of other stats. They are godlike :)

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Stanley Pain posted:

I got my first one as a schematic. No idea when/where. I don't see very many drop as items though which is a shame because they are 1000x better than regular daggers. I'm close to end game on my Rogue and my master crafted dualies are almost 400 DPS with Hidden Dagger and Chain Lightning procs, 24% armor pen a piece and a bunch of other stats. They are godlike :)

Do you have guard gen on them or something? Cole goes down when anyone even blinks at him and its pretty much kept me from trying dual wield on my guy.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Haroshia posted:

I went Templar route. Major spoiler. The only thing the Templars did wrong was follow orders. An Envy demon was impersonating the Lord Seeker, and ordered everybody to start eating Red Lyrium. Keep in mind it wasn't particularly uncommon for the Templars to be given experimental Lyrium by their COs since they have to take it for their anti-magic powers. A lot of them did it because in the short term it gave them superpowers and because their commanders were making them. Even faced with execution for treason many of the Templars refused.

The mages made a stupid alliance with a Tevinter magister for protection after the Breach disaster, basically letting him take over Redcliffe, but they were tricked into it by his time-manipulating schtick and the fact that nearly everyone did blame them for the disaster. There weren't any blood rituals or possessions, just one magister being a massive jerk (for the moment), so they didn't do worse than make a panicked decision to keep lynch mobs at bay. Given how many non-combatants the mages have to shelter (i.e. every scholar or child that just happened to be born with power), it's understandable why they'd feel extra pressured. The templars may have been just following orders, but they still followed their commanders into full on treason despite being fully able to just put down their swords and walk away or join a their loyal comrades.

As far as I'm concerned, both sides screwed up understandably this time before being subverted by their common enemy. Besides, no matter how the games try to present it, templars and mages aren't at all close to equivalent. Mages are born while templars can still choose their lot.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 25, 2014

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Haroshia posted:

I went Templars as well because my thinking is that Mages are incredibly dangerous and untrustworthy on their own. You find out that the Templars were only being loyal and were tricked by their leader who was taken over by an Envy demon. Even during their questline, you find a lot of still loyal/sane Templars helping you and fighting back on their possessed brothers. You even get to promote their lead Templar later after the quest for staying by your side. Their questline was good stuff, you get to find out how the Envy demon works and the dark future it would bring. People should really play both sides to get a much clearer picture.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Damnit, Cullen just made a Calibration joke on the War Table. :shepicide:

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Geostomp posted:

The mages made a stupid alliance with a Tevinter magister for protection after the Breach disaster, basically letting him take over Redcliffe, but they were tricked into it by his time-manipulating schtick and the fact that nearly everyone did blame them for the disaster. There weren't any blood rituals or demon summonings, just one magister being a jerk (for the moment), so they didn't do worse than make a panicked decision to keep lynch mobs at bay. Given how many non-combatants the mages have to shelter (i.e. every scholar or child that just happened to be born with power), it's understandable why they'd feel extra pressured.

As far as I'm concerned, both sides screwed up understandably this time before being subverted by their common enemy.

That first sentence is why I have no sympathy with the mages. They signed on the dotted line with a loving TEVINTER MAGISTER. As in enemy of the loving state, part of a nation that once tried to take over the world with magic and still wants to, pants shittingly evil bastard. There was no trickery here. They got desperate and did what mages do which is accept any power they can get without even thinking of the loving consequences.

The mage story of Inquisition does a better job of highlighting why mages need regulation better than the Templar story.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

The Mage situation reminds me of the Geth situation in Mass Effect 3.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
So when the Templars were manipulated into serving the enemy it was okay because they were tricked but when the mages did the same thing it wasn't because _______.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SgtSteel91 posted:

The Mage situation reminds me of the Geth situation in Mass Effect 3.
Actually the Qunari do more, because same as there, we are suddenly told that there's this whole rigid Qunari majority culture that no Qunari we have yet encountered is from; they're all rebels.

That is not a particularly smooth way to retcon things.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Rincewind posted:

So when the Templars were manipulated into serving the enemy it was okay because they were tricked but when the mages did the same thing it wasn't because _______.

Because the one manipulating the Templars was literally wearing the skin of their commander and ordering them to behave in a way that wasn't particularly uncommon. You can't seriously say there isn't a difference between following orders by a person you think is your commanding officer and actively going out of your way to sign a deal with an evil mage from a nation of evil mages.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Haroshia posted:

That first sentence is why I have no sympathy with the mages. They signed on the dotted line with a loving TEVINTER MAGISTER. As in enemy of the loving state, part of a nation that once tried to take over the world with magic and still wants to, pants shittingly evil bastard. There was no trickery here. They got desperate and did what mages do which is accept any power they can get without even thinking of the loving consequences.

The mage story of Inquisition does a better job of highlighting why mages need regulation better than the Templar story.

Again, the Divine just exploded in a massive ball of magic. Just about everyone was ready to point the finger at them for the crime because it was magical. They need some ally to keep lynch mobs at bay and this magister was offering to take in their many noncombatants at their lowest point. It was a terrible deal, which Fiona herself admits, but their options were pretty limited and the magister, magically, appeared at just the right moment. Despite it all, nothing worse than the magister being a jerk happened by the time you intervene.

They definitely need a lot of regulation, but it wasn't like accepting a deal with a demon.

Haroshia posted:

Because the one manipulating the Templars was literally wearing the skin of their commander and ordering them to behave in a way that wasn't particularly uncommon. You can't seriously say there isn't a difference between following orders by a person you think is your commanding officer and actively going out of your way to sign a deal with an evil mage from a nation of evil mages.

So the Templars were so bad at their jobs that they failed to realize their commander was possessed or that their ranks were slowly being devoured by evil crystals? That's better than signing onto a bad deal without actually doing anything wrong beyond that?

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 25, 2014

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Actually the Qunari do more, because same as there, we are suddenly told that there's this whole rigid Qunari majority culture that no Qunari we have yet encountered is from; they're all rebels.

I was thinking more that a friendly side did not want to be destroyed for wanting freedom and independence and so they made a deal with the devil (Reapers = Tevinter).

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 25, 2014

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Haroshia posted:

Yeah dude, it's weird. It's almost like generations of apartheid made them desperate or something!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Dragon Age games have skilfully gone from merely referencing the Nazis, to bringing them to life in some sort of eldritch forum fuckery.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I also like the idea that is presented by some groups in the game, that the Dragon Age 2 situation is a little different because they were all loving crazy and gently caress Kirkwall. A lot of mages say something to the extent that they were dragged into this because of what happened there and while they wanted change they didn't want a war.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!
The First time you blow one of those war horns in the exalted plains you will think the reapers are invading.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

The game gave me the Cole event even though I already had him. What a fantastically lovely bug.

Wait, hold on. Did you look for Dorian in the library? If you go Templar, Dorian shows up at the gates of Haven to warn you about what's happening with the mages, then you literally do not see him again until you talk to him in the Skyhold library (right above where Solas hangs out.) There's no map marker or quest, which is stupid, but he's definitely there. Once you talk to him, he joins the party like usual and his companion icon will start showing up on the map.

You get a scene about Cole when you first get Skyhold regardless of if you go Templar or Mages. That's not a bug.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Spikeguy posted:

I also like the idea that is presented by some groups in the game, that the Dragon Age 2 situation is a little different because they were all loving crazy and gently caress Kirkwall. A lot of mages say something to the extent that they were dragged into this because of what happened there and while they wanted change they didn't want a war.

At least the Mage rebels I'm fighting in the Hinterlands aren't all using Blood Magic and combusting into Abominations...

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
So I have a quest to attend an Orlesian ball. Why am I getting the urge to take Bull, Cole and Sera?

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Geostomp posted:

So the Templars were so bad at their jobs that they failed to realize their commander was possessed or that their ranks were slowly being devoured by evil crystals? That's better than signing onto a bad deal without actually doing anything wrong beyond that?

Many of them did realize, and yes it is better. If you're in a military order and you're trained to follow orders you follow orders. It does show an issue with the whole "who watches the watchmen" problem, but it's hardly evil.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Haroshia posted:

Many of them did realize, and yes it is better. If you're in a military order and you're trained to follow orders you follow orders. It does show an issue with the whole "who watches the watchmen" problem, but it's hardly evil.

Actually, cavorting with demons and murdering people is evil, my friend.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Geostomp posted:

Again, the Divine just exploded in a massive ball of magic. Just about everyone was ready to point the finger at them for the crime because it was magical. They need some ally to keep lynch mobs at bay and this magister was offering to take in their many noncombatants at their lowest point. It was a terrible deal, which Fiona herself admits, but their options were pretty limited and the magister, magically, appeared at just the right moment. Despite it all, nothing worse than the magister being a jerk happened by the time you intervene.

They definitely need a lot of regulation, but it wasn't like accepting a deal with a demon.
Basically, this.

The Mages' options seriously were the following three things:

1. Get lynched.
2. Defend themselves with magic, likely killing normal people and thus making things even worse.
3. Take a too-good-to-be-true deal with a Tevinter guy who somehow showed up just at the right time.

None of those are good options. Maybe there was a fourth option to go begging and crying back to the (Red Lyrium-infected) Templar order and hope to the Maker that they'll be more merciful than the lynch mobs, but the Templars had no reason to be. Fiona made a desperate, bad decision, but it was (given her limited knowledge of the situation) quite possibly the least bad of a handful of bad decisions.

That said, I've been slightly spoiled on the ending and I'm relatively sure if you "free" the Mages they end up forming a governing body to regulate themselves, led by a Council of Enchanters, because they're very much aware how dangerous they can be if untrained and uneducated. Whether that's actually as good as the Circle was at keeping abominations at bay probably remains to be seen.

Spikeguy posted:

Yeah, this is very much the case, too. The situation in Kirkwall happened because everyone in Kirkwall was being driven insane, and everything else snowballed from there.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Spikeguy posted:

Some of the Templars seem to agree with the sentiment, but they seem less defensible since they could have easily broken off from the group and joined the same faction as Cullen and Cassandra.

One thing I liked is how much this game dumps on DAII's stupidity, acknowledging how crazy Kirkwall is in general and how ineffective Hawke's efforts turned out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Geostomp posted:

Some of the Templars seem to agree with the sentiment, but they seem less defensible since they could have easily broken off from the group and joined the same faction as Cullen and Cassandra.

One thing I liked is how much this game dumps on DAII's stupidity, acknowledging how crazy Kirkwall is in general and how ineffective Hawke's efforts turned out.

I love how Varric just kind of shrugs and says he can't explain any of that poo poo.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

I love how Varric just kind of shrugs and says he can't explain any of that poo poo.

I saw that he loses approval when you ask him about Orsino. You just know he got asked that question by everyone.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Haroshia posted:

You realize that Tevinter magister has a loving time machine so he was able to try every type of manipulation until he got it right.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

What the gently caress did Hawke really accomplish? He killed a lot of people and made a lot of money. But for the overall greater good of the continent? Not much.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

MadJackMcJack posted:

So I have a quest to attend an Orlesian ball. Why am I getting the urge to take Bull, Cole and Sera?

There's a part in the ball where you're all being introduced by the Master of Ceremonies. You get to learn some backstory, like Cullen's full name (Cullen Stanton Rutherford) and if you bring Sera, she goes by an alias Mai Ballsytch of Korse.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pattonesque posted:

There's a part in the ball where you're all being introduced by the Master of Ceremonies. You get to learn some backstory, like Cullen's full name (Cullen Stanton Rutherford) and if you bring Sera, she goes by an alias Mai Ballsytch of Korse.

Taking Cassandra is pretty hilarious.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The nice thing about the mage quest is you're given the option to explain your actions. There wasn't a "They were so stupid they signed up to become slaves to the evil empire and help almost blow up the world" option, but there was a "they invaded Redcliffe, which also pissed off the Queen in the same mission, so I'm going to see justice for it". It's nice because it also let me not help the Chantry which works great for my elf.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Spikeguy posted:

What the gently caress did Hawke really accomplish? He killed a lot of people and made a lot of money. But for the overall greater good of the continent? Not much.

Which is exactly the the what the Nightmare demon in the Fade portion of Act II taunts him/her with. Hawke knows that despite everything, s/he was a failure as a hero, not even managing to save their family, and nothing s/he did mattered at all in the end.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Cassandra's reaction to (Skyhold spoilers) Varric having hidden Hawke made me laugh out loud. This whole time she keeps saying that she'll kill him if he had been lying to her all this time and sure enough when you show up she's flipping tables to get at him and kick his rear end.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sprawl posted:

The First time you blow one of those war horns in the exalted plains you will think the reapers are invading.

I woke up a cat in the other room who sprinted off something and crashed because my subwoofer rattled my desk like a motherfucker. I turned the volume down a bit after that.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Levantine posted:

Cassandra's reaction to (Skyhold spoilers) Varric having hidden Hawke made me laugh out loud. This whole time she keeps saying that she'll kill him if he had been lying to her all this time and sure enough when you show up she's flipping tables to get at him and kick his rear end.

Yeah, that's great. It also showed how sly Varric was. Even after being kidnapped and interrogated at sword-point, he managed to not only keep his head, but manipulate her into listening to the real story and gaining an audience with the Divine without ever revealing where Hawke went. He even held it together while Cass was practically foaming at the mouth to kill him for it, basically saying "You kidnapped me, did you expect me to give up my best friend for you?" That dwarf's got balls.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 25, 2014

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Geostomp posted:

Which is exactly the the what the Nightmare demon in the Fade portion of Act II taunts him/her with. Hawke knows that despite everything, s/he was a failure as a hero, not even managing to save their family, and nothing s/he did mattered at all in the end.

I loved that bit. Hawke knows all she's good for is being a murder-machine. If you want to complete the Hawke tragedy you should make her romance Anders and kill him. Total fail.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Spikeguy posted:

I loved that bit. Hawke knows all she's good for is being a murder-machine. If you want to complete the Hawke tragedy you should make her romance Anders and kill him. Total fail.

It was almost as good as Loghain hearing the demon taunt him for ruining everything he touches and shrugging it off. "That all you got? That's nothing I haven't told myself every day." :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Thanks to this game, Loghain has one of the best character arcs ever. He is truly a better character than Alistar. And I like Alistar!

• Locked thread