Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leucosia
Sep 29, 2014

The widow of Mausolus
I've been on a Howard Zinn binge the last couple of weeks and have gotten through both The Bomb and A People's History of the United States on the recommendation of a friend.

U.S. History is a passion of mine and something i dabbled in quite often but I have had this sort of bias against revisionist history. I can say that while not much of what Zinn writes about is new to me he has changed my mind about a few things i use to accept as Fact in the traditional narrative of history that's taught k-12.

For people who are history buffs i highly recommend A People's History of the United States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Leucosia posted:

I've been on a Howard Zinn binge the last couple of weeks and have gotten through both The Bomb and A People's History of the United States on the recommendation of a friend.

U.S. History is a passion of mine and something i dabbled in quite often but I have had this sort of bias against revisionist history. I can say that while not much of what Zinn writes about is new to me he has changed my mind about a few things i use to accept as Fact in the traditional narrative of history that's taught k-12.

For people who are history buffs i highly recommend A People's History of the United States.

Speaking as someone whose politics tend to conveniently line up with Zinn's generally, I would definitely read A People's History with about the same amount of critical thinking as I would for any Wikipedia article. It's great for exposing an alternate viewpoint and for teaching us to question our history (which Americans tend to view as monochromatic and sacrosanct), but as a very prominent piece of popular history writing and therefore not tremendously reliable as a historical source.

But for Joe Sixpack reading some history on the couch in his free time, it's great.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Does anyone know any good sources in English on Jan Zizka/the Hussite wars?

rasser
Jul 2, 2003
I always wanted to read a book on the history of the archaeological excavations of Palenque, the Maya site in Chiapas, Mexico. How they realized that they weren't looking at hills but buildings, what was discovered, what is below the tunnels and behind the barred doorways one passes. I saw significant changes in the landscape just between visits in 1991 and 1999, and would love to come back.

Failing this very specific subject, any good book on archaeological discoveries nearly anywhere in the world, which will tickle my boyish interest and still allow me to perceive myself as an educated adult (and, obviously, pretentious fuckup)?

smr
Dec 18, 2002

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

I'm currently most of the way through Peter the Great by Robert K Massie and I'm loving it. I like the way Charles XII kinda comes in and takes over the book for a while.

Oh god, I just finished that book. It's VERY good, but man, Massie books are such a commitment. I heaved a huge sigh of relief when I finished the last page.

I'm still sitting on his history of naval warfare in WWI because Dreadnoughts, the prequel, _exhausted_ me.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

smr posted:

Oh god, I just finished that book. It's VERY good, but man, Massie books are such a commitment. I heaved a huge sigh of relief when I finished the last page.

I'm still sitting on his history of naval warfare in WWI because Dreadnoughts, the prequel, _exhausted_ me.

Castles of Steel was my introduction to Massie and yeah, I loved it but I also found myself checking how many pages I had left at certain points.

rasser
Jul 2, 2003
In addition to my Palenque/Mexico/archaeology request above, can anyone recommend a book of the history of the South Pacific, preferably including a critical look at colonisation and description of post-colonisation history?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Any good books (I'm sure there are hundreds) written on administration and government within the Roman empire? I'm specifically curious about the later days of the republic to the death of Augustus.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Drone posted:

Speaking as someone whose politics tend to conveniently line up with Zinn's generally, I would definitely read A People's History with about the same amount of critical thinking as I would for any Wikipedia article. It's great for exposing an alternate viewpoint and for teaching us to question our history (which Americans tend to view as monochromatic and sacrosanct), but as a very prominent piece of popular history writing and therefore not tremendously reliable as a historical source.

But for Joe Sixpack reading some history on the couch in his free time, it's great.

This post reminded me about something I've wanted to read for a while. Are there any books on the process of how history itself gets revised? I'd love to read an account of how history has changed over the years

Hannot
Nov 29, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I am looking for a book that discusses, in some fashion, early 20th century issues with women serving on juries in the U.S. The closest suggestion I have found is "The U.S. Women's Jury Movements and Strategic Adaptation: A More Just Verdict" by Holly McCammon, but it isn't quite what I'm looking for. I was hoping for something that focuses more on public reaction, possibly to specific cases, rather than the movement or court cases regarding the right to be a juror.

Mostly I've been coming up with articles recounting the history of court battles over the rights of women to serve on juries, but I would rather find out about cases where people questioned a verdict (or non-verdict) because of this issue.

Argona posted:

This post reminded me about something I've wanted to read for a while. Are there any books on the process of how history itself gets revised? I'd love to read an account of how history has changed over the years

I have only read some of Historiography: An Introduction, but it may be interesting to you. Less formal readings: If you haven't read it, Lies My Teacher Told Me touches on this a bit for American history, as does History in the Making.

Hannot fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 23, 2014

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

I've read a fair bit about the circumstances that were going on around the same time, but does anyone have a good recommendation on book(s) to read about the formation/politics of the Black Panther Party? I've seen a few that seem in the right vein but I'd rather check for something with someone willing to back it before diving into books that just look good.

Black against Empire: The History and Politics of the Black Panther Party by Joshua Bloom/Waldo E. Martin and Seize the Time: The Story of the Black Panther Party and Huey P. Newton by Bobby Seale are the two I've been eyeing the most in case they ring any bells. The second seems pretty obvious since it's a primary source, so I'm largely curious about the first book but if there are other suggestions I'm all ears.

I'm also all ears on books about other movements of the era, or those like the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters that came along prior.

Edit: I've read At the Dark End of the Street, Howard Zinn on Race, and Freedom's Main Line which are all amazing books, though the first is incredibly loving depressing even for the subject matter at hand.

Death Dealer fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 23, 2014

rasser
Jul 2, 2003
From ages ago, I remember hearing good reviews of Bobby Seale's book. Not directly related, Alex Haley co-authored Malcolm X's autobiography which is also supposed to be worth a read. Since so many goons are American, you could probably get better advice than this.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

I'm currently most of the way through Peter the Great by Robert K Massie and I'm loving it. I like the way Charles XII kinda comes in and takes over the book for a while.

Has anyone ever seen the mini-series based on this book?

smr
Dec 18, 2002

sbaldrick posted:

Has anyone ever seen the mini-series based on this book?

!

Didn't know one existed, sounds right up my alley. Did you see it, was it any good?

smr
Dec 18, 2002

smr posted:

!

Didn't know one existed, sounds right up my alley. Did you see it, was it any good?

Oof; 1986 and looks it. Might be too cheesy to really get through but then again...

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

smr posted:

I've come across Dreadnought a few times now, and was considering it for 19th century UK vs Germany history. But reading some of it in a bookstore, good lord, I can see how it would be exhausting. I think it might be the sort of book I read when I'm already well grounded in the subject rather than as an introduction.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Does anyone have a good book about TE Lawrence? I've heard alot of stuff about him is real hit or miss and pop-historyish.

Ideally, I'd like a military history slant to it, but I don't care that much

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but are any of the books by Robert Fisk any good?

Also can anyone recommend me anything on the history of the south from around the civil war up until the 1960's?

Buttonhead
May 3, 2005

Scariest picture in the world.

Waroduce posted:

Does anyone have a good book about TE Lawrence? I've heard alot of stuff about him is real hit or miss and pop-historyish.

I recently started reading 'Hero: The Life and Legend of Lawrence of Arabia" by Michael Korda. It comes very well-reviewed, even though it's very clear that the author believes that Lawrence is a quintessential hero. It even goes back to Lawrence's childhood, and examines his sexuality, and all in all is a very good biography thus far.

http://www.amazon.ca/Hero-Life-Legend-Lawrence-Arabia/dp/0061712620

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but are any of the books by Robert Fisk any good?

Yes. The Great War for Civilization: The Conquest of the Middle East is an impressive, important, depressing tome of a book. Its largely follows him as a journalist, covering various conflicts in the region since the late 70s or so, and his living in Beirut. Some parts at the start have him dodging bullets and shells, but later on it focuses mostly on "misery and betrayal" as he puts it. He documents things meticulously, so he's always referencing newspaper articles, books, speeches, all sorts of stuff that makes for good history. The journalistic part is depressing because he puts a face to the people getting tortured or maimed or having their sons disappear.

He's biased in the anti-imperialist sense of things; he criticizes US hypocrisy all over the place, and isn't much a fan of Israli policy either. But that doesn't mean he shies away from the brutality of Saddam, or Iran using child soldiers during the 80s war, or the torture chambers that seem to be in most arab countries. If you want optimism and hope, do not look here.

He also has a tome on the civil war in Lebanon, which I haven't read but is apparently pretty well received.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Waroduce posted:

Lawrence in Arabia: War, Deceit, Imperial Folly and the Making of the Modern Middle East

NPR had good things to say about the above. Haven't tried it yet.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Lawrence in Arabia: War, Deceit, Imperial Folly and the Making of the Modern Middle East

NPR had good things to say about the above. Haven't tried it yet.

I read this myself and thought it was very good, though it does have significant sections about other spies and movers in the region; but I think that helped give it a wide view of the bigger picture. The author doesn't devolve into hero worship but doesn't dismiss at all Lawrence's extraordinary character and accomplishments.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

Also can anyone recommend me anything on the history of the south from around the civil war up until the 1960's?

I'm doubtful there is really anything non-explicitly academic that treats the south as a single entity. It had its similarities in Reconstruction, Klan activity (1870s and 1910s-20s) and an insane amount of lynchings, but outside of that and farming, each one had its individual quirks. I can suggest a few on individual politicians: the Caro series on Lyndon Johnson would give good insight into Texas during the era. Anything on Strom Thurmond, George Wallace, Huey Long, Boss Crump or Eugene Talmadge would do the same for their individual states.

The Race Beat by Gene Roberts and Hank Klibanoff cover desegregation from a media view from the end of the 1940s-mid '60s and is almost exclusively southern.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Argona posted:

Check out Historiography: Ancient, Medieval, and Modern by Ernst Breisach. It should be right up to your alley.

rasser
Jul 2, 2003
Re: Robert Fisk.
Pity the Nation: Lebanon at war is a great read but goes into huge detail on Lebanese factions in the civil war. Obviously, Israel and the US are not forgotten. It bored me a little, and I postponed finishing it until a loosely planned trip to Beiruth.
The Great War for Civilization is a great book, a really nice read that covers the post-colonial conflict history and shaping of the currently Middle East in one solid tome. It's highly commendable for its scope, personal perspective as well as historical perspective - Fisk is also an academic - and massive resentment, enough to spoil any good day for you.
Avoid The age of the Warrior, though: at least half of it is decent, but the rest is dull. Or cherry pick it - this might work better.

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
I am looking for history books surrounding the iron and bronze age civilizations with the most recent archeological findings and data. My interest is in descriptions and information surrounding civilizations in the time periods as they existed and evolved through ancient history, with a focus on cultural and religious beliefs.

For example, I am interested in the current archeological knowledge around Mesopotamian, African, and Indian civilizations and their culture and religious beliefs and how they changed, evolved, and progressed through history, handed down through history. An area such as the evolution of religious beliefs from bronze age civilizations down to the influences of Israelite, Arab, Indian, and European religions are what I am curious about and would like the most recent understanding surrounding them.

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

"In one dimension I find existence, in two I find life, but in three, I find freedom."
Can anyone recommend good books on Chinese history between 1900 - 49'?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

The Welfare Lobby posted:

Can anyone recommend good books on Chinese history between 1900 - 49'?

A biography of a Confucian scholar at the time, based on his memoirs.

Autobiography of a woman living through the time.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations for biographies about Mobutu Sese Seko or about Congo/Zaire under him? I read some decent books about Haile Selassie and Idi Amin recently and now I'm on an African dictator kick, apparently.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Any good books on the history of medicine or disease?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
That's a pretty general category. Are you looking for anything in particular?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
I just received two books as an early holiday gift:
The Ottoman Centuries by Lord Kinross
Afghanistan: A Cultural and Political History by Thomas Barfield

I know the Lord Kinross one by it's (excellent) reputation, but have no idea about the Barfield one. Looks like it's part of the "Princeton Studies" series, which sounds credible and all, but I've learned from experience that a prestigious Uni endorsement can mean little to nothing. So I figured I'd ask here if the book is worthwhile at all while I devour the Kinross tome.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 15, 2014

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Elderbean posted:

I love The Emperor of All Maladies its a book all about the history of Cancer. Its a big book but very compelling, it won the Pulitzer for a reason.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

LionYeti posted:

I love The Emperor of All Maladies its a book all about the history of Cancer. Its a big book but very compelling, it won the Pulitzer for a reason.

I might be talking out of my rear end here, since I haven't read the book, but based on the reviews I've read it might not be the most methodological up-to-date book on medicine and diseases. It seems to fall squarely into the more popular teleological historical category?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Elderbean posted:

From Medicine Man to Doctor is pretty good, despite being written in the early twentieth century.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 15, 2014

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Plagues and Peoples was the first book to systematically look at the role plagues played in world history (turns out they have a tremendous influence on the rise and fall of great powers) and was very influential. It's 40 years old, so I don't know well the scholarship holds up.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Star posted:

I might be talking out of my rear end here, since I haven't read the book, but based on the reviews I've read it might not be the most methodological up-to-date book on medicine and diseases. It seems to fall squarely into the more popular teleological historical category?

Maybe but it's accessible interesting well researched and compelling

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I just finished reading Nothing to Envy and plan on continuing with The Aquariums of Pyongyang and Under The Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader. Reading about the hell of a failed state that North Korea is got me interested in some other catastrophes/complex political situations. Any recommended books for an objective overview of:
* The Palestine-Israel conflict
* Whatever happened to the Democratic Republic of Congo/Somalia
* China's Great Leap Forward

would be greatly appreciated. :)

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

FMguru posted:

Plagues and Peoples was the first book to systematically look at the role plagues played in world history (turns out they have a tremendous influence on the rise and fall of great powers) and was very influential. It's 40 years old, so I don't know well the scholarship holds up.

It's an excellent book for an overall look at infectious diseases. Other good authors include Dr. Desowitz and Dr. Farmer. (Infections and Inequalities is my favourite.) If you're looking for something more specific, I recommend starting with a book on syphillis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

I just finished Mutants: On Genetic Variety and the Human Body. It's a pretty interesting albeit broad look at mutation and how much we've learned about genetic defects over the years.