Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Batcat! Batcat! posted:

Why would anyone still mail cheques?

In other news I broke one of the screws in my femur by walking and a screw in my wrist is completely loose. At least thusfar everything is healing nicely.

Because the State of Texas charges a few percent when you try to pay your taxes by debit or credit. That's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
We get people trying to pay by check. We just tell them our check machine is broken.

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011

So, I made my wing mirror fall out over the weekend. It was a stupid crash due to mainly to a low number of riding hours and certainly very few in the wet since getting my car licence 4 years ago.

It was raining and I was approaching a roundabout with one car in front of me and no traffic actually on the roundabout. On the approach to the roundabout, I lifted off and looked over to the right and saw one car just about to enter the roundabout but take the first exit, so I was ready to roll the throttle on as the car in front of me should have carried on and entered the roundabout (General driving mistake here; expecting road pubbies to do the expected). Naturally, when I looked in front of me, the pleb had to come to a full stop about 3m in front of me, presumably so he could hold a vote with his passengers as to whether or not he should enter the roundabout. Then I made a huge whoopsie and grabbed the front brake a bit sharp for the conditions.

I don't know whether there was oil or metal under me or whether it was purely knobblies + wet tarmac, because without warning the bars immediately crossed up and the front wheel essentially low sided and the bike threw me over the front. Thankfully I was only doing 20-25mph so I just flopped onto my shoulders/back and the bike stopped before hitting the car in front. I was only on a short commute (<10 minute ride from home to destination) but I was wearing boots/jacket/helmet/gloves so all the important bits were safe. Bit of a pain in the foot and a little amount of missing skin on my shin (jeans are not protection from anything) but I bounced back up to inspect the damage.

I was really surprised at the lack of damage here. The wing mirror did fall out, but I picked the bike up and checked the fairings and everything was ok. The biggest miracle was that the brake lever had some scratches on it but was still perfectly true.

Aside from small scrapes on the lever and exhaust, this was the extent of the fairing damage.

So all in all, it was quite a good and well needed crash. There was no real damage to me, the bike or anyone else but it was an embarrassing enough of a tumble for there to have been lessons learned. Car or bike, I need to stop driving like a twat, and I should probably commute more on my motorbike, so if I do get caught in the rain, I will actually be able to take myself home in on piece. This incident could have been much worse if it was at speed, especially with jeans on, so I think some leathers trousers are on the wishlist now as well.

Just Horizontal fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Nov 24, 2014

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Happy to hear you weren't injured. I'm chuckling a little at your username and post combo :)

In other news, if any of you guys follow moto vlogger M13 on youtube, he had a serious wreck recently that he describes on his facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Mordeth13. Broke both legs and will lose two of his fingers. I always enjoyed this guys vids and will probably donate a little to his medical fund.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Not sure if any of you follow M13 on Youtube, he does Taiwan tours on motorcycles. He was in a pretty bad crash on November 14. I donated some money to his PayPal account. He posted a video here:
http://youtu.be/6emApOoiZhc

Looks like he's losing half his left hand, and has 6-9 months recovery for 2 broken legs. Pretty much his entire income was doing motorcycle tours of Taiwan. Encourage you to donate if the need hits you.

Here is his Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/Mordeth13

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
:chloe:

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hey at least he didn't quote you.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
RidingWithTom has commentary and the thumbnail shows M13's broken leg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKrimIdf8-s

He got jacked up.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Here is a video from M13 at the hospital. God drat he is hosed up. I watched some of his videos and it looks like he doesn't wear gloves. He might have saved his left hand if he did. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6emApOoiZhc

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Sorry for the dude but moto vloggers are the worst and the couple videos I just saw makes this guy seem like the peak worst.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No one even mentioned his vlogs being good (I haven't watched them), who gives a poo poo?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

No one even mentioned his vlogs being good (I haven't watched them), who gives a poo poo?

I've never watched them either. I saw the crash confirmation and watched that because I wanted to learn about it. It was very cool.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Slavvy posted:

He's a pretty decent guy, has been helping a lot of different causes (Animal sanctuary being one) and he has a kid, and this was pretty much his entire income running Asian tours.

His vlogs are hit/miss but in general fairly entertaining. I give a poo poo because he's a decent human being, and I feel like he needs support during this time. If you don't like someone on the internet gently caress em I guess?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

LLJKSiLk posted:

I give a poo poo because he's a decent human being, and I feel like he needs support during this time. If you don't like someone on the internet gently caress em I guess?

Pretty sure he meant "who gives a poo poo" as in "who gives a poo poo if his vlog is awesome, help anyway" but I could be wrong. Internet after all. v:shobon:v

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Boat posted:

Pretty sure he meant "who gives a poo poo" as in "who gives a poo poo if his vlog is awesome, help anyway" but I could be wrong. Internet after all. v:shobon:v

That's what I meant.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
Welp, at almost exactly a week of ownership/riding I "enjoy" a low-speed crash because I got flustered like a idiot stalling at a light, then tried to make up with more throttle rather than being smoother on the friction zone.

I'm mildly bruised in the body and rather throughly in the pride, hopefully it's only the engine cover and shifter knob that I need to replace - said cover is cracked but there was no attempt to start the bike with it leaking, should be giving fixing a try this weekend.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Yeah, don't let it stress you out. It happens to everyone.

Glad to hear you didn't get hurt, though. Now you know why I suggest that all new (and old) riders get frame sliders installed. Everyone's gonna dump dat bike eventually.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
I was planning on doing that when I had a bit more money :V Bumped them a bit up the priority list for sure. Holy gently caress am I sore from this, I'd hate to experience a real loving crash.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Still a new rider try not to rush anything. I had the hardest time learning to ignore folks and take that deep breath and second or two before I tried again after a screw up. Smooth deliberate actions, unless you like doing tricks, then it's fast deliberate actions.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I broke off my mirror recently when I paused and hesitated. Just do what you're doing. Don't let people rush you, don't feel obligated to blow right off the stoplight. Just be deliberate and follow through, like Skreemer says.

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

Just Horizontal posted:

So, I made my wing mirror fall out over the weekend. It was a stupid crash due to mainly to a low number of riding hours and certainly very few in the wet since getting my car licence 4 years ago.

It was raining and I was approaching a roundabout with one car in front of me and no traffic actually on the roundabout. On the approach to the roundabout, I lifted off and looked over to the right and saw one car just about to enter the roundabout but take the first exit, so I was ready to roll the throttle on as the car in front of me should have carried on and entered the roundabout (General driving mistake here; expecting road pubbies to do the expected). Naturally, when I looked in front of me, the pleb had to come to a full stop about 3m in front of me, presumably so he could hold a vote with his passengers as to whether or not he should enter the roundabout. Then I made a huge whoopsie and grabbed the front brake a bit sharp for the conditions.

I don't know whether there was oil or metal under me or whether it was purely knobblies + wet tarmac, because without warning the bars immediately crossed up and the front wheel essentially low sided and the bike threw me over the front. Thankfully I was only doing 20-25mph so I just flopped onto my shoulders/back and the bike stopped before hitting the car in front. I was only on a short commute (<10 minute ride from home to destination) but I was wearing boots/jacket/helmet/gloves so all the important bits were safe. Bit of a pain in the foot and a little amount of missing skin on my shin (jeans are not protection from anything) but I bounced back up to inspect the damage.

I was really surprised at the lack of damage here. The wing mirror did fall out, but I picked the bike up and checked the fairings and everything was ok. The biggest miracle was that the brake lever had some scratches on it but was still perfectly true.

Aside from small scrapes on the lever and exhaust, this was the extent of the fairing damage.

So all in all, it was quite a good and well needed crash. There was no real damage to me, the bike or anyone else but it was an embarrassing enough of a tumble for there to have been lessons learned. Car or bike, I need to stop driving like a , twat, and I should probably commute more on my motorbike, so if I do get caught in the rain, I will actually be able to take myself home in on piece. This incident could have been much worse if it was at speed, especially with jeans on, so I think some leathers trousers are on the wishlist now as well.

Hi CRF250L buddy! How do you like yours? I got mine in August and have put about 3k on it. It's my first bike ever so I love it. I dropped it on the shifter side at low speed in grass and broke the gearshift spindle clean off, along with tweaking the clutch lever, so it's got folding levers everywhere now except for the rear brake.

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011

Chauncey posted:

Hi CRF250L buddy! How do you like yours? I got mine in August and have put about 3k on it. It's my first bike ever so I love it. I dropped it on the shifter side at low speed in grass and broke the gearshift spindle clean off, along with tweaking the clutch lever, so it's got folding levers everywhere now except for the rear brake.

Hey there! I like it, for the price it's a good little bike, quite enjoyable on tighter roads and a nice commuter. I do find it's a bit short on grunt though. I know it's only a 250 4 banger but it just feels like I might fit it with a bigger rear sprocket.

Unlucky with the gear breakage as well. I was scanning my bike for bent levers when I dropped it, but if you drop your bike on the right side, most of it is off the ground due to the massive exhaust cover and it's quite undamaged.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Time for my yearly misadventure with lane filtering!

Have been taking my partner to and from work this week while her car is in the garage on my Honda NTV650. Was passing a lane of cars on my left when a Ford Focus driver decided, "To hells with the traffic!" and threw a sudden u-turn, luckily only nudging the side of my bike. I say bike, I lean he compressed my leg from knee to ankle and collided with the gf's boot. We didn't fall off; I managed to put it to the side and walked back to say hello to the driver.

My leathers have a section of armour on the outer knee and a lot of padding in that area in general which mean I've merely hobbled away with an impressively bruised calf. Similarly, her boots are good quality and she didn't suffer more than a slight shock.

Since the bike was unscathed and we were holding up traffic, and he sounded suitably contrite, we both went on our merry way. Probably could have been a lot worse, especially had I been a second or two later, and I imagine I'll be filtering with a lot less gusto for a while.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Shelvocke posted:

Time for my yearly misadventure with lane filtering!

...and walked back to say hello to the driver...

...he sounded suitably contrite, we both went on our merry way...

"I went back to give the Focus driver a piece of my mind, helmet first"

"As his life bled away into the gutter from his crushed skull, I kicked it in to first and thought 'He'll be sorry for the rest of his life'"

A man can dream, dammit. Glad you got away mostly unscathed.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
"Whoops my helmet shattered your driver's side window when you hit me with your car."

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
I feel like that's a losing proposition with the cost of a lot helmets

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Gillingham posted:

I feel like that's a losing proposition with the cost of a lot helmets

You can get a dozen cyclegear helmets for the cost of a shoei.

Should cost a little less than a window.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Had a low slide today. The movers finally came with my furniture and bike. Moved from Hawaii to Georgia. After years of year round warm weather riding, cold tires, cold road and etc totally did not inclur to me.
From a red light I went to make a left turn, and right about when I hit the apex iremember thinking how I was way low for this turn. Then my tires slid out from under me. Luckily i had all my gear on and only scraped my barends, mirrors, engine case, and rear spool. Was able to pick it up and ride off after checking for leaks.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
welcome to atlanta bitch

e: it's pretty lovely how cold it's gotten

Razzled fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 10, 2014

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
What Razzled meant is "glad you're OK!"

Yeah, it's that, "Oh poo poo" moment when you realize what's happening that's the worst. Glad you didn't get too banged-up, though.

I'm surprised you moved to Georgia, though. I swear 1/2 the population in Oregon is people originally from Hawaii.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Is this you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WinhypBJhU;t=19s

I commuted 27 miles this morning on my sumo in sub 30s georgia weather I even rode pretty risky to dodge some surface street traffic. I don't even know how you can get that low in a turn from a full stop red.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

I commuted 27 miles this morning on my sumo in sub 30s georgia weather I even rode pretty risky to dodge some surface street traffic. I don't even know how you can get that low in a turn from a full stop red.

I know how. :sigh:

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Razzled posted:

Gonna need you to turn in your SuMo and get a an Oldwing, bro.

I'm laughing that 50's is cold, too. Been riding in that poo poo most days here in Denver.

Akion fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 11, 2014

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
So is it icy and snowy usually, or just powdery snow? I'm a little hesitant to ride in ice. Usually here it's either sub-freezing and dry, or 35+ and raining. Sometimes we get snow, but usually it's for a day or two then it's gone.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I commuted in Flagstaff, Az on Dunlop Q2s through the ice and snow. It was hilarious how just coming off the throttle too quick would let you back the bike in to corners. I shoulda binned that bike. :allears:

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Lynza posted:

So is it icy and snowy usually, or just powdery snow? I'm a little hesitant to ride in ice. Usually here it's either sub-freezing and dry, or 35+ and raining. Sometimes we get snow, but usually it's for a day or two then it's gone.

The first pic was a sheet of ice. I just went out to ride around the block to see if I could and went down like... 3 times. Didn't really give a poo poo cause Supermoto.

Second picture it had dropped like... 30 degrees in 30 min and started dumping snow. The road was still warm enough that it wasn't ice yet. I rode to/from work that day, and most days that there isn't ice on the road. My commute is only ~10 min each way so I don't even gently caress with winter gear. I just layer up under my summer stuff.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Akion posted:

Gonna need you to turn in your SuMo and get a an Oldwing, bro.

I'm laughing that 50's is cold, too. Been riding in that poo poo most days here in Denver.

Going full out into ultra lean apex track anal destroyer mode from a stop is pretty dumb and low siding because of it is even dumber.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Lynza posted:

I swear 1/2 the population in Oregon is people originally from Hawaii.

You've been to Pacific University, right? Seems like it is nothing but Hawaiians...

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Razzled posted:

You should try getting some weight on the pegs and leaning the bike under yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Lynza posted:

I'm surprised you moved to Georgia, though. I swear 1/2 the population in Oregon is people originally from Hawaii.

Hah, I moved to Hawaii and spent 5 years there before moving back. It's true, so many cloverleaf inspection labels on ex-Hawaii cars here. Also so many Hawaiian food joints.

• Locked thread