Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Daedra posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority but I really don't get the all the praise that Twin Peaks gets. I watched all of the first season waiting for it get better, but I don't think I could force myself to watch the second.

It should be lambast as much as or more than LOST is, but it's really fashionable to worship TWIN PEAKS so no go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

Well I watched about 1.5 hours of Jack Reacher before calling it. It just didn't grab me in a way that made me care about the conclusion. I started watching Arachnophobia this morning and it's awesome so far.

Lol yeah same I always watch almost all of a film before deciding if it's grabbed me.

I didn't like twin peaks much either, but I don't like lynch much. I do understand why others like it, but I still think it's hugely overrated. Usually by pretentious types eager to display how cultured they are,Idk.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I remember really liking Jack Reacher, but I pretty much glossed over most of the dialogue and just watched the action since I just had it on in the background.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Lol yeah same I always watch almost all of a film before deciding if it's grabbed me.

I didn't like twin peaks much either, but I don't like lynch much. I do understand why others like it, but I still think it's hugely overrated. Usually by pretentious types eager to display how cultured they are,Idk.

And it tends to be disliked by mouth-breathing Neanderthals who think the Transformers movies represent the greatest works of art the cinema has produced.

Hey, this is fun!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I remember really liking Jack Reacher, but I pretty much glossed over most of the dialogue and just watched the action since I just had it on in the background.

its big flaw is that it's 20 minutes too long, but i thought it was just good, solid meat-and-potatoes action filmmaking. i dig Christopher McQuarrie.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Whoa what the hell is Werner Herzog doing in Jack Reacher? Might have to watch it just for that.

the way i understand it, it started out as a joke among the filmmakers, like "wouldn't it be funny if we got Werner Herzog to play this guy?" but then the joke became reality and when Tom Cruise found out he was like "well you can't not cast him now, dude made Aguirre."

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

And it tends to be disliked by mouth-breathing Neanderthals who think the Transformers movies represent the greatest works of art the cinema has produced.

Hey, this is fun!

I think you're reaching there. I mean, transformers as a franchise is a great cinematic experience, but it's nowhere near the level of the actual greatest cinematic works, such as titanic and avatar. Close, obviously, but still.

Edit, I jest, obviously. The Hobbit films are the best works of cinema so far.

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 25, 2014

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Edit, I jest, obviously. The Hobbit films are the best works of cinema so far.

You mean the cartoon right?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

A MIRACLE posted:

Well I watched about 1.5 hours of Jack Reacher before calling it. It just didn't grab me in a way that made me care about the conclusion. I started watching Arachnophobia this morning and it's awesome so far.

Arachnophobia is, indeed, awesome.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

K. Waste posted:

Arachnophobia is, indeed, awesome.

The first scene is some scientists flying a helicopter over the jungle, I was like huh this reminds me of JP. then, boom, Executive Producer Steven Spielberg in the opening credits. haha.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

regulargonzalez posted:

Hey, this is fun!

The Transformers movies are dope, you dope. So is Twin Peaks.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Watched Blue Ruin last night based on recommendations in this thread and I absolutely loved it. Pretty unique take on the genre and I was very tense through most of it even though it doesn't move at a frantic pace. I especially loved the realism scattered throughout the movie, in particular the sniper shot scene, with the sound of the bullet whizzing by, then the gunshot a second later. I very much identified with the main character in that I could see myself being in the same state of mind, with a similar plan and similar fallout. I recommend it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
A lot of dumbshits in here were badmouthing Stretch. They were wrong. That movie is a ton of loving fun.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What are some good Christmas-but-not-too Christmas movies (e.g. Trading Places) on Netflix? Probably gonna watch a few of those at a friend's place this weekend and Die Hard and Lethal Weapon have sadly been off of netflix for years.

Scrooged.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What are some good Christmas-but-not-too Christmas movies (e.g. Trading Places) on Netflix? Probably gonna watch a few of those at a friend's place this weekend and Die Hard and Lethal Weapon have sadly been off of netflix for years.

Batman Returns.

Alternate answer being liberal with the definition of "good": Jack Frost (not the Michael Keaton one, the Shannon Elizabeth raped to death with a carrot one).

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Hey well there's always Santa Claus Conquers the Martians if you have an affinity for terrible old movies like me!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Monkey Fracas posted:

Whoa what the hell is Werner Herzog doing in Jack Reacher? Might have to watch it just for that.

Can I just skip to the end?

Herzog loves doing random poo poo, he narrated a random coda to an American Dad episode from 2-3 years ago.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Herzog loves doing random poo poo, he narrated a random coda to an American Dad episode from 2-3 years ago.

That episode was amazing. For those who haven't watched it, American dad is the poo poo and beats the other animation domination shows by a lot. Including Bobs Burgers :can:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

LloydDobler posted:

Watched Blue Ruin last night based on recommendations in this thread and I absolutely loved it. Pretty unique take on the genre and I was very tense through most of it even though it doesn't move at a frantic pace. I especially loved the realism scattered throughout the movie, in particular the sniper shot scene, with the sound of the bullet whizzing by, then the gunshot a second later. I very much identified with the main character in that I could see myself being in the same state of mind, with a similar plan and similar fallout. I recommend it.

I loved the scene where he tries to remove the arrow. I was like nah you'd have to go to a hospital for sure and then he just ends up hurting the poo poo out of himself before going to the hospital.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's very Killer Joe-esque in that it's not afraid to say that its protagonists are stupid.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

A MIRACLE posted:

The first scene is some scientists flying a helicopter over the jungle, I was like huh this reminds me of JP. then, boom, Executive Producer Steven Spielberg in the opening credits. haha.

The kicker being that it was made before Jurassic Park.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The thing that bothered me about Jack Reacher is how the entire plot hinged on that stupid parking meter. Couldn't they have made it hinge on something not so stupid?

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
I just watched 30 for 30's Bad Boys and it was pretty good. What are some other good sport documentaries? I've seen already The U (awesome), Two Escobars (pretty good), Trial of Allen Iverson (disappointing), Senna, and the one about the Knicks.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Chichevache posted:

A lot of dumbshits in here were badmouthing Stretch. They were wrong. That movie is a ton of loving fun.

Agreed. And I normally hate these sort of movies. Although Crank is one of my favorite movies of all time, so...

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Skizzzer posted:

I just watched 30 for 30's Bad Boys and it was pretty good. What are some other good sport documentaries? I've seen already The U (awesome), Two Escobars (pretty good), Trial of Allen Iverson (disappointing), Senna, and the one about the Knicks.

June 17th, 1994 is my favourite from 30 for 30, and one of my favourite documentaries ever. Captures so much and is so well put together.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

dik-dik posted:

Agreed. And I normally hate these sort of movies. Although Crank is one of my favorite movies of all time, so...
My biggest issue with Stretch was that it felt like the equivalent of cotton candy. It starts off sweet and novel and then by the end it's just this lump of overly-spun sugar that was all spit out by assembly line, and it's mostly full of air. The romantic "twist" was stupid and more than a bit creepy - who the gently caress spends their time between death threats and gun fights, texting to anonymous women with no pictures via dating websites? He should've been in Sex Anonymous or something.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Nobody is arguing that Stretch could do completely without the romantic sub-plot, but it wasn't bad enough to ruin the rest of it in my opinion. Jessica Alba what were you thinking?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Dredd is like a palate cleanser movie for me. That's really the only way I can describe it but I've seen it about nine times now and it always refreshes my appetite for something new

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

A MIRACLE posted:

Dredd is like a palate cleanser movie for me. That's really the only way I can describe it but I've seen it about nine times now and it always refreshes my appetite for something new

"Mama is not the law. I am the law."

Karl Urban owns.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

coyo7e posted:

My biggest issue with Stretch was that it felt like the equivalent of cotton candy. It starts off sweet and novel and then by the end it's just this lump of overly-spun sugar that was all spit out by assembly line, and it's mostly full of air. The romantic "twist" was stupid and more than a bit creepy - who the gently caress spends their time between death threats and gun fights, texting to anonymous women with no pictures via dating websites? He should've been in Sex Anonymous or something.

Who gives a poo poo? I watched the movie for the action and the humor.

A MIRACLE posted:

I can't think of anything else to watch tonight, so Dredd it will be. Again.

edit

dik-dik posted:

Yeah, I can definitely see where you're getting that from. The cotton candy analogy is pretty spot on. Sometimes you just want some cotton candy, though!

:hfive:

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 26, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Yeah, I can definitely see where you're getting that from. The cotton candy analogy is pretty spot on. Sometimes you just want some cotton candy, though!

Also, I agree, the whole romantic plotline was stupid and unnecessary but I felt it was pretty minor/benign up until the final reveal. So just pretend the movie ended 2 minutes earlier than it actually did and you're good.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just watched Stretch. It definitely didn't live up to the hype. It was just ok, I didn't really hate it or anything. If you haven't watched it, I could think of worse ways to spend a couple of hours.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Just watched Stretch. It definitely didn't live up to the hype. It was just ok, I didn't really hate it or anything. If you haven't watched it, I could think of worse ways to spend a couple of hours.

Get the gently caress out.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Chichevache posted:

I can't think of anything else to watch tonight, so Dredd it will be. Again.

Shooter if you haven't seen it

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

A MIRACLE posted:

Shooter if you haven't seen it

:crossarms: I'll give it a shot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZVcPhDt-kM

*edit*
20 minuted in and I am glad that I listened to you. Nice job.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 26, 2014

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I watched Filth and it felt kinda hackneyed. The comedy was mostly lazy dick jokes and the twist was very bad at making its point. Did I miss some brilliant underlying theme that subverts how bad it is on the surface (a la the CineD Transformers thread) or was that pretty much it?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
All pretty valid criticisms I'd say. It's mostly the absolutely fantastic performance by McAvoy that I love Filth for.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I actually thought the romance bit in Stretch worked pretty well. The scenes with the ex dragged a little but I definitely "awww"ed at the end. It helps that Alba actually does a pretty good job in her role.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
I've just noticed that about two films that I was really looking forward to seeing were removed from Instant. The first one is Marwencol. And this is a long shot, but I really cannot remember the second title for the life of me. I do remember that it started with a M, and was apparently about an alternative form of therapy, where people would act out traumatic situations for the patients to face. I'm not sure if it was a documentary or a movie. Would any of you by chance know what I'm talking about?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Sounds like The Act of Killing oh whoops I've got that backwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I tried to watch Stripes the other night (never seen it before and Netflix kept suggesting it). Turned off halfway through because the sparse laughs weren't enough to keep going through the dated attitudes to women. I'm not going to criticise an early 80s film just for having gratuitous titties but the writing didn't seem anything special either. Have I unfairly dismissed a classic?

• Locked thread