Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

so that's what that brown rectangle i kept seeing on the awful app is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Amused to Death posted:

Didn't Darren Wilson not know about the robbery until 2 weeks later when he suddenly did. Like I remember the PD specifically saying more than once Wilson didn't know about the robbery or any suspect.

I can't give you a timeline (when each statement went out), but this is the order:

First news report was that a black kid was shot by a police officer.
Second news report was that there was also a robbery at the time.
Third news report was that the two were not connected.
First police reports to news was that Wilson did not know of a robbery.
Second police reports to news was that Wilson knew of a robbery, but did not think Brown was a suspect.

After that, I don't know what was said.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

chitoryu12 posted:

My Facebook friends list is gonna be a lot lighter by the end of today.

I know this from awhile back, but I hope this is just venting and no one is actually planning to cut people out of their lives over a disagreement about a grand jury decision

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Ezra Klein put together a pretty decent piece here:

http://www.vox.com/2014/11/25/7281165/darren-wilsons-story-side

Here's the lead:
[/b]

Thoughts?

That article is a great encapsulation of this thread. "I don't want to believe Wilson's story, so I will consider it to be bullshit." Witnesses and facts be damned. My own opinion trumps all.

And Ezra's disbelief that the guy would talk back to the cop shows him to be quite shuttered and naive.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Are you going to post this every hour?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LorneReams posted:

Are you going to post this every hour?

Only when some yikes-worthy DND poo poo is posted

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Who is Ms. Alizadeh, again? Trying to keep track of everyone's names is kind of hard.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Arkane posted:

That article is a great encapsulation of this thread. "I don't want to believe Wilson's story, so I will consider it to be bullshit." Witnesses and facts be damned. My own opinion trumps all.

And Ezra's disbelief that the guy would talk back to the cop shows him to be quite shuttered and naive.

"You got me"

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

So the cop HAS to be lying?

Not necessarily, but it is in his best interest to do so.

After all, Wilson has testified that he is the one who brought the gun into play, escalating the force to deadly.

Assuming he is telling the truth and Brown was struggling with the gun at that point, it could have been self-defense - by Brown.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Who is Ms. Alizadeh, again? Trying to keep track of everyone's names is kind of hard.

One of the DA's assistant DAs

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Arkane posted:

Not everyone believes that cops tell the truth all the time, Arkane. Especially when they just shot someone and are tring to cover their rear end.

lmao "Ezra's disbelief that the guy would talk back to the cop" I think Ezra's disbelief is that, according to Wilson, Brown was immediately physically aggressive.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 25, 2014

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evil_Greven posted:

Not necessarily, but it is in his best interest to do so.

After all, Wilson has testified that he is the one who brought the gun into play, escalating the force to deadly.

Assuming he is telling the truth and Brown was struggling with the gun at that point, it could have been self-defense - by Brown.

You are mentally ill lol

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

pathetic little tramp posted:

Is this some loving babushka doll poo poo?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OlmanRiver posted:

My biggest question with this:

Lets say it is true that he attempted to steal the officers gun. This is aggression that can be met with death. He failed at that though, so the question is then, how long is the person "flaged grey" for. I mean he ran away, why was it still shoot to kill. shouldn't the running away have Deescalated the situation back down to no longer threat to my life?

Another example would be, buddy has a gun, shoots at a cop, thus making him shoot-able by police. At some point in the chase, he throws the gun. Isn't he then no longer a threat, and they should no longer shoot at him? its the same situation only he had his own gun to begin with.

The law states that suspects fleeing arrest for a felony may be shot to stop them from escaping. If you disagree with that, then you need to get involved in the legislature of that state.

So the answer is never. Once you've assaulted an officer, you need to surrender to arrest and get an attorney. If you flee, they will do what they can to stop you and arrest you.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

drat. You could probably sell that to a newspaper or magazine.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Did she really say this?

Like, that seems insanely damning if so. Isn't that blatantly leading the jury?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Reminder from upthread

Randbrick posted:

Allowing a defendant to testify in his own grand jury proceeding is all but unheard of. It is by far the weirdest detail in all this. I can't imagine why a prosecutor (who is, on paper, in the business of getting grand juries to back his indictments) would ever allow a defendant to do that.

It's a closed proceeding and no one present is competent to testify against him at a later court date, so he can't even get any good cross out of it. It's absolutely bizarre.

I mean think about it -- he can't compel Wilson to present any evidence against him, nor to testify at all. The mere fact that he's doing this demonstrates, legally, procedurally, that he is technically calling a defendant as an adverse witness against himself, with the defendant's consent.

Or, more realistically, he is calling Wilson to allow him the chance that no defendant ever has -- to actually defend himself before a grand jury.

It's an extremely clear sign of collusion to anyone with any legal experience.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

The law states that suspects fleeing arrest for a felony may be shot to stop them from escaping. If you disagree with that, then you need to get involved in the legislature of that state.

So the answer is never. Once you've assaulted an officer, you need to surrender to arrest and get an attorney. If you flee, they will do what they can to stop you and arrest you.

My understanding of that law is that it's probably unconstitutional though? I thought I read something in this thread where people were discussing it. My understanding is there are lots of laws on the books that courts have said are no good but the legislature never officially removed.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

OhNoLookOutRUN posted:

Florissant Road was farther east. The road was expanded then split off, with the new road being West Florissant. Then Florissant Road was bulldozed, and a new road was built farther west called New Florissant. When they extended it south, they called it South Florissant.

You forgot that New Florissant is also divided into North New Florissant and South New Florissant. And that South New Florissant becomes North Florissant when it crosses 270.

Also even though Shaw was quieter last night I'm glad I was stationed there instead of Ferguson because I don't want my car destroyed.
The street medics stationed in Ferguson had retreated to St Mark's by midnight and evacuated to Shaw as soon as the police lifted their barricade of the church because it was just too dangerous and chaotic to work the streets.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Arkane posted:

drat. You could probably sell that to a newspaper or magazine.

Haha like I have made a cent off this and not spent a fortune in gas and food.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Did she really say this?

I had to read this like three times to figure out what the gently caress it's saying. I think it technically makes sense, but it's extremely bizarre and hard to parse. On its face it looks like it's almost saying "don't indict, it's basically impossible"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Equine Don posted:

Haha like I have made a cent off this and not spent a fortune in gas and food.

You've kept your thread powerful and good. Thank you.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

Narciss posted:

A Prosecutor whose father was a murdered police officer, no less. Obviously his motives are most sinister.

A prosecutor who he is supposed to be y'know, trying to convince a grand jury to indict an officer that his organization made T-shirts to support.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
If people cared about human lives half as much as they pretend to care about property destruction there would be a lot less property destruction.

Edit: And McCulloch is dirty as all out, if you've been following his actions and statements through this whole thing and still think he's acting impartial or even prudent in his job then I don't know what to say. I've never in my life seen a prosecutor so happy that he failed at his job.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 25, 2014

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Evil_Greven posted:

A prosecutor who he is supposed to be y'know, trying to convince a grand jury to indict an officer that his organization made T-shirts to support.

BackStoppers say they dunno who is selling those shirts and they'd reject any of the proceeds.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

He's pretty spot on about this and this is what I've been harping about :

In the middle of his punchout superattack on Darren Wilson he's all "timeout, here hold these cigarellos good sir" That doesn't pass any sort of smell test, and if you read the testimony leading up to it, it sounds like he's trying to get the cigarellos out of the story because he just got caught saying Mike Brown punched him with a hand that had cigarellos in it, yet this did zero damage to said cigarellos and no cigarello residue was found in the car, which - if you're familiar with gas station swishers - is really really odd.

This sums up my feelings pretty well.

The case of the magical teleporting swishers.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Reminder from upthread

No...most defendant's aren't called as witnesses at the grand jury because they invoke their constitutional right to remain silent...

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Did she really say this?

From what I gather the Grand Jury is run by the prosecutor to see if there is evidence in order to indict. Normally if the prosecutor is going this far you would assume he or she thinks that there is some merit to the case. However the system doesn't really seem to have a fail safe for if the prosecutor doesn't want the case to go to trial but is being pushed politically to do so and then intentionally scuttles it since I guess people figure that just wouldn't be done or actually want that to be available.

Lemming posted:

I had to read this like three times to figure out what the gently caress it's saying. I think it technically makes sense, but it's extremely bizarre and hard to parse. On its face it looks like it's almost saying "don't indict, it's basically impossible"

Yeah to me it reads like one of those Jim Crow literacy tests where its intentionally hard to parse so that the reviewer can mark answers any way they want and still retain the benefit of the doubt they were treating every applicant fairly.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 25, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Really what this whole scandal is about is if, in 2014, you hear a cop say "this black guy punched me for no reason at all, I HAD to kill him" and that makes sense to you or not.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ActusRhesus posted:

No...most defendant's aren't called as witnesses at the grand jury because they invoke their constitutional right to remain silent...

Do most prosecutors call character witnesses for the defendant before a grand jury or does that strike you as odd?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

zen death robot posted:

Potential life-saving tip incoming: if a police officer draws a weapon on you for any reason, no matter how innocent you may be - DO NOT - go for his weapon. Do as you are told. You can sort the poo poo out later on, much easier, without bullets filling your body and blood leaking everywhere.

This may or may not apply to members of the general public with weapons, but it certainly should apply with police officers.

*Does not apply to black people, they will shoot you anyway

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/24/nyregion/police-tactic-scrutinized-after-accidental-shooting.html

OhNoLookOutRUN
Nov 8, 2004

dorito dave

Stultus Maximus posted:

You forgot that New Florissant is also divided into North New Florissant and South New Florissant. And that South New Florissant becomes North Florissant when it crosses 270.

Goddammit. I tend to just call it New Florissant regardless of whether I'm north or south of 270.

e; Or more commonly, just Florissant Road as opposed to West Florissant.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

If people cared about human lives half as much as they pretend to care about property destruction there would be a lot less property destruction.

Care to explain how any of this:

Does anything to help?

If you are REAL MAD about Wilson not being charged, then get involved in productive activism, vote out officials who refuse to review and remedy law that does not adequately protect citizens. Work on pressing for more accountability for police.

Don't loot shops and burn poo poo to the ground.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zen death robot posted:

Potential life-saving tip incoming: if a police officer draws a weapon on you for any reason, no matter how innocent you may be - DO NOT - go for his weapon. Do as you are told. You can sort the poo poo out later on, much easier, without bullets filling your body and blood leaking everywhere.

This may or may not apply to members of the general public with weapons, but it certainly should apply with police officers.

But if you are black, obviously you are juggernaut, and must be stopped before you can gain momentum and turn the world upside down.

zen death robot posted:

Right this happens 100% of the time, my mistake.

A black 12 year old just got shot carry a fake handgun in an open carry state.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Really what this whole scandal is about is if, in 2014, you hear a cop say "this black guy punched me for no reason at all, I HAD to kill him" and that makes sense to you or not.

Yeah I think that's the long and short of it.

Also the "geez black people just don't be so aggressive around the police and they won't shoot you" is the most clueless, Sean Hannity thing you can say.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

CommieGIR posted:

But if you are black, obviously you are juggernaut, and must be stopped before you can gain momentum and turn the world upside down.

What is with this stuff. It's weird & not funny. I've seen Terminator jokes, wolverine, hulk, various animals, "urban ferals", the flash, and others I can't remember.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
At least my mother was willing to admit that leaving Micheal laying in the street for 4 hours uncovered was wrong even if she lied to about the officer not being at fault. :unsmith:

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

Lemming posted:

BackStoppers say they dunno who is selling those shirts and they'd reject any of the proceeds.

Oh? Must have missed that.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

You are mentally ill lol

On what basis?

This is D&D and all - you've made a claim so you need to support it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So one thing I haven't seen answered is why the gently caress Wilson got out of his vehicle? Backup has been called, you think you've wounded the suspect, why get out of your 2.5 ton safety cage to chase what you've admitted is a demon in negroe hulk Hogan form who you thought was going to punch you to death?

Outside of the obvious part where you thought he was going to turn around, flip your cruiser, and set it ablaze with his fire breath with you trapped in it of course.

• Locked thread