Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oxyclean posted:

Well you have items that let you carry two trinkets, two pills/two cards. Perhaps an item that lets you carry two spacebar item around? If that needs to be tuned down a bit perhaps they share a charge in some manner?

I think there's a lot of lackluster and situational spacebar items that having two would probably be fine without the shared charge stipulation. Plus it would synergize nicely with battery items.

Two spacebar items would be broken as hell, especially when thinking about the possible combinations, like revelations and holy tract giving you virtually infinite health esp when considering the number of ways to increase charge quickly

There's other combos too that would be just more mundanely broken, like blood bank and slot machine (esp with luck foot) or bottle of pills with any attack spacebar item, deck of cards with the same attack spacebar

The thing about trinkets and pills and why giving two slots isn't broken is that trinkets are really marginally effective and pills and cards are consumable, not permanent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

But there's plenty of broken and powerful items in the game. One that allows you to possibly get a broken combo of spacebar items doesn't seem that bad considering you need to find those spacebar items still.

Honestly I feel like a lot of attack spacebar items are unreliable (cookbook)/not good without something else (tammy's head.) In general I usually hate finding spacebar items because you can only carry one, so if you have something decent you end up feeling like you got a wasted item room. Being able to carry two spacebar items would certainly make me use more of the lackluster ones rather then passing them up.

Also, it could just as easily be balanced by rarity.

e: It also would facilitate a different kind of playstyle/run.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
As a compromise, how about an item that just doubles the spacebar item's charge bar? You could get 2 uses out of it before it was exhausted, but it would still recharge at the same rate so 2 charges would require as many room clears as using it twice normally.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

haveblue posted:

As a compromise, how about an item that just doubles the spacebar item's charge bar? You could get 2 uses out of it before it was exhausted, but it would still recharge at the same rate so 2 charges would require as many room clears as using it twice normally.

That item is already in the game though? The Battery does exactly that.

Edit: maybe :thejoke:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The only change to items I would make is to take Pageant Boy out of the game entirely. You can potentially get more out of one secret room than what that item gives you.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That item is already in the game though? The Battery does exactly that.

Edit: maybe :thejoke:

I thought the battery did something else? Did they change it for Rebirth?

If I did describe something that's literally in the game already, then, well, :downs:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

haveblue posted:

I thought the battery did something else? Did they change it for Rebirth?

If I did describe something that's literally in the game already, then, well, :downs:

In the original BOI it slowly recharged your item over time. I guess Ed realized that it enabled a lot of dumb/scummy/broken behavior, so he changed it. Now the only items that can recharge over time are single-point ones like Tammy's Head (if you have the 9-volt or triple a battery).

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Here's a question for ya guys: if I have the Holy Mantle as the Lost and come across an arcade, does this mean I can use the Blood Donation machine once every time I walk in and out of the room, or will it just kill me outright? I need to know but am afraid to just try and see, it took me ages to start scum this drat thing and even then the game is screwing me by giving me midas touch, mom's pad, the virus, <3, and an angel room with eternal hearts. The only worthwhile thing I have is the krampus head really.

e: found a wiki that says it cant be used on blood donation, bummer.

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 25, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Twin space bar items would be crazy. Imagine the Book of Belial combo'd with Tammy's Head, or having both the Book of Revelations and the Satanic Bible. Imagine starting as Isaac with the D6 and never having to drop it.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Justin_Brett posted:

The only change to items I would make is to take Pageant Boy out of the game entirely. You can potentially get more out of one secret room than what that item gives you.

Pageant Boy really needs some kind of passive buff. Oh boy, 7 coins :toot:

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

RoboCicero posted:

Pageant Boy really needs some kind of passive buff. Oh boy, 7 coins :toot:

Sometimes one of those coins is a nickel or dime, though...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ferroque posted:

Sometimes one of those coins is a nickel or dime, though...

Maybe it should always be. If Pageant Boy dropped enough to guarantee one top-shelf store item that would make it very significant.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Pageant Boy gives you a spiffy hat, what more could you possibly want?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
I'm still pushing through with this Lost run just because I have the Holy Mantle.

The game has decided that I need Breakfast, a dog treat, the relic, to face the Adversary as my Necropolis 1 boss, and another Angel room, but instead of eternal hearts this time it has soul hearts!

:suicide:

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Also as Azazel my first Devil Room item was a lump of coal. :saddowns:

Turn that frown upside-downs, Anatharon, because Brimstone + Coal is actually just a straight-up damage boost! :eng101: Possibly increasing the longer the beam has been on the screen (because that's what determines coal damage boosts normally, not distance from you), but probably a flat boost to each tick of damage your Brimstone shot does.

Iny fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 25, 2014

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
The Lost really isn't fun. It takes away too many of the strategies that make the game fun to play in the first place.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

For getting Lost do you have to sacrifice yourself with both the Missing Poster and the Mysterious Paper or can it be one or the other? I unlocked the paper but haven't gotten it to drop yet, and I've already done it with the poster.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Waffle! posted:

For getting Lost do you have to sacrifice yourself with both the Missing Poster and the Mysterious Paper or can it be one or the other? I unlocked the paper but haven't gotten it to drop yet, and I've already done it with the poster.

You don't need to unlock the missing poster or see puzzle pieces to do the chain of deaths that unlocks The Lost. All you need to do is the death sequence.

I think The Lost could be an interesting/fun character if his item pools were modified so he wouldn't see any items that are useless for him, such as things that only get health ups, soul hearts, etc. I'm sure someone will complain that would take away the some of the challenge, but at least it would give him an interesting gimmick/tradeoff.

Stuff that's HP up + something else or all stats up are fine.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

Actually made it to Mom with the Lost on Hard with the Holy Mantle and nothing really but a single tears up pill, concussive tears, and Krampus' Head. Except I accidentally teleported into the Mom fight with a telepill and no full charge on the Krumpus Head. Its a blue champion Mom who spits out Greed Heads and big spiders.

gently caress you the Lost, you are the worst.

e: the seed for anybody curious/masochistic: DJ04 VEE4

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 25, 2014

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

As far as DLC suggestions go, why not start with patching the stupid loving behavior of burrowing enemies that allow them to hurt you without you being able to do poo poo about it. That would be a nice start I think.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I finally realized you can just savescum with the lost. The day is saved!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

FrickenMoron posted:

I finally realized you can just savescum with the lost. The day is saved!

Pooooooooosyyyyyyyy

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Ive spent 15+ hours of attempting lost runs and all i got done was hard mode moms heart/isaac kill, so screw that.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

what's the point of going for the achievement if you're just going to cheat. or even play the lost, really.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I want all of the items in my rotation, simple as that.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

what's the point of going for the achievement if you're just going to cheat. or even play the lost, really.

To be fair the Lost's items are really cool and make angel rooms just as good as devil deals. I don't think I'll ever get tired of the godhead, personally.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Logan 5 posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

Actually made it to Mom with the Lost on Hard with the Holy Mantle and nothing really but a single tears up pill, concussive tears, and Krampus' Head. Except I accidentally teleported into the Mom fight with a telepill and no full charge on the Krumpus Head. Its a blue champion Mom who spits out Greed Heads and big spiders.

gently caress you the Lost, you are the worst.

e: the seed for anybody curious/masochistic: DJ04 VEE4

I had Triple Shot, Torn Photo, Max's Head, Box of Tarot Cards on Basement 1. It was amazing. Entered an arena on Basement 2, Dingle spawns on top of me.
The Lost is an experiment in pushing human beings until they crack.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I got the book of revelations and it made me fight monstro and not the the gate. This meat head is real sad right now.

But before that I did, for the first time, boss rush and beat the chest with azazel. Got three wacky items unlocked in one crazy game where I got chocolate milk (did nothing???) quad shot (one shot all bosses?) and brimstone (from anywhere). That poo poo was nuts.

e: Third floor in a row with curse of the unknown. If I just used a book of revelations I know I have at least one hit... right?

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 25, 2014

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Platinum God status: obtained

Now the real fun begins.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
So magnetic tears + increased knockback + a ton of tears up pills is really fun. Everything in the room will be sucked into your tractor beam of death, but the knockback means they don't get sucked into your face like normal. Then in the Dark Room I became Guppy and got Technology, so the Lamb and Mega Satan died to room-sized clouds of flies.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Finally decided to unlock the Lost, I felt really bad giving up two of the best Judas/Azazel runs i've had for it too. Felt really stupid when I picked up Guppy's Collar as Azazel without thinking, and then really smart when I accidentally beat Satan's second form(Daddy Longlegs) and died and then came in and died properly to his second form.

Also three Bandage Girls and then Conquest arghhhhh.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Jusupov posted:

You can make your own if you extract the gamefiles and just put challenges.xml to \resources\

How do I do these things. I would like to do these things.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Oh my god I just saw this on steam, did not know the game was programmed like this. This is retarded and awesome and I want to get brimstone now just to DBZ fight Monstro and The Fallen, etc

Sorry if this is well known, this thread moves too fast for me to keep up with.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

beep by grandpa posted:

Oh my god I just saw this on steam, did not know the game was programmed like this. This is retarded and awesome and I want to get brimstone now just to DBZ fight Monstro and The Fallen, etc

Sorry if this is well known, this thread moves too fast for me to keep up with.

holy poo poo :hawaaaafap:

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

That looks crazy, can anyone confirm that this works? I'd like to see a video before I believe that's possible.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Yeah, if someone out there reading this goes and tests this out and it works don't even loving think of coming back here without a video

edit: no one will get this but all that pic needs is a QTE prompt under it that says PROTECT EARTH

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 25, 2014

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!
Brimstone shots don't have a travel time, do they? How the hell are you even supposed to time a beam collision, if that pic isn't a montage?

edit: never mind, it would work anyway if they wanted it to, but I don't see how without someone taking damage

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I just had my first game where the dark bum was completely useless. I got the Epic Fetus on the first floor and the Satanic Bible soon after. (Sometimes the RNG just decides that you're going to win...) Everything died instantly before it could hurt me, so I spend 90% of the game walking around with 12 sin hearts. I even got a couple of those womb-themed super secret rooms with a billion hearts in them, which would be amazing for the dark bum if I had any room for more hearts.

Also I learned that Guppy doesn't work with the epic fetus. I never spawned a single blue fly.

Mangoose posted:

Brimstone shots don't have a travel time, do they? How the hell are you even supposed to time a beam collision, if that pic isn't a montage?

They don't have a travel time, but they have a non-zero duration. Just shoot before Monstro does.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 25, 2014

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Just got a devil room as Judas with Nail for two hearts and Dead Cat for 1 heart. I have two heart containers and one soul heart, can I take the cat then sacrifice one life to take the nail.

Also should I do this, cause it would involve giving up the Book of Belial obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ActionZero posted:

Just got a devil room as Judas with Nail for two hearts and Dead Cat for 1 heart. I have two heart containers and one soul heart, can I take the cat then sacrifice one life to take the nail.

Also should I do this, cause it would involve giving up the Book of Belial obviously.

Since you have a soul heart, you won't lose a life when you take the nail. You'll just go down to zero heart containers. Although I would keep the book over the nail, since the increased devil room chance is so good.