Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
This was early in Walking Dead, but it really annoys me how the Governor just overran the National Guard. They were a unit trained for fighting and had fought plenty already, how'd they get overrun like that?

Also, why is it that in Zombiecalypses make wvery helicopter and aircraft malfunction, as showed by the chopper crash. Like, they just always fall out of the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Vahakyla posted:

Also, why is it that in Zombiecalypses make wvery helicopter and aircraft malfunction, as showed by the chopper crash. Like, they just always fall out of the sky.
A third virus that only affects rotor blades?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Why would it be France? Why wouldn't it be some more isolated island country like New Zealand?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I think we all know the country that would never get infected.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Kruller posted:

Lichtenstein?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Kruller posted:

Is it Liberia?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vahakyla posted:

This was early in Walking Dead, but it really annoys me how the Governor just overran the National Guard. They were a unit trained for fighting and had fought plenty already, how'd they get overrun like that?

It's like 5 guys and they ambush them.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Vahakyla posted:

I'm almost willing to let it slide since "National Guard" doesn't always equal "infantry." The National Guard statoined where I grew up was an artillery unit, so my guess is that their skills with small arms/infantry tactics aren't as great compared to the infantry National Guard unit where I live now.

Speaking of The Walking Dead, It's established at the CDC that everybody is infected and will turn when they die, but I'm still bugged that the guys from Terminus all freak out when they find out Tom is infected when they start chowing own on his leg. It's not like they're eating decayed zombie flesh; Tom's living & breathing (for the time being). I know it's really an issue of us the viewers knowing more than the characters, hence the "irrationally irritating."

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Dr Scoofles posted:

I'm certainly not a historian and I bet you know far more than me on this so I concede that I'm probably wrong... but I remember reading some history boffin who said there is nothing to suggest thumbs were involved at all, but lots of images survive of gladiators using their finger to plead for mercy.

One of these images even has a gladiator appealing to a referee for a decision, which makes me laugh as having a ref step in to score points seems really alien to our idea of what gladiatorial combat was like.

"It's about ethics in Gladiatorial combat journalism!"

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Dr Scoofles posted:

I'm certainly not a historian and I bet you know far more than me on this so I concede that I'm probably wrong... but I remember reading some history boffin who said there is nothing to suggest thumbs were involved at all, but lots of images survive of gladiators using their finger to plead for mercy.

One of these images even has a gladiator appealing to a referee for a decision, which makes me laugh as having a ref step in to score points seems really alien to our idea of what gladiatorial combat was like.

To me, that just looks like old Romans flipping each other the bird.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Android Bicyclist posted:

Speaking of The Walking Dead, It's established at the CDC that everybody is infected and will turn when they die, but I'm still bugged that the guys from Terminus all freak out when they find out Tom is infected when they start chowing own on his leg. It's not like they're eating decayed zombie flesh; Tom's living & breathing (for the time being). I know it's really an issue of us the viewers knowing more than the characters, hence the "irrationally irritating."
Bob
:goonsay:

Though Bob is about as nondescript a name as Tom, honestly.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
It's not like the Terminus assholes were at the CDC. It's very likely that they would be unsure of the relative safety of eating someone who's been bit.

edit: Also for we all we know eaten a guy who has been bitten may very well be fatal. The infection caused by a bite is a different infection than the virus that causes people to become zombies which is non-fatal and everybody already has. For all the show's faults it's been pretty consistent about the mechanics of the zombies.

Lagomorphic has a new favorite as of 20:31 on Nov 20, 2014

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

The North Tower posted:

Is it Liberia?

It's Madagascar.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Vahakyla posted:

Also, why is it that in Zombiecalypses make every helicopter and aircraft malfunction, as showed by the chopper crash. Like, they just always fall out of the sky.

That's pretty accurate, at least in the case of choppers.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Vahakyla posted:

It's been a while now so I'd just say it's due to low maintenance and spare parts or something. Also it's fun to see hopes dashed.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Jerusalem posted:

Because they'd have to cast The Rock, then people would get confused by "Rock Samson" and think it was a live-action Venture Bros movie, then when they found out that wasn't the case there would be a riot.

Studio Execs have to take this kind of stuff into consideration.

I never knew until this post how much I wanted to see Rock with a flowing blonde mullet :allears:

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

kinmik posted:

Bob
:goonsay:

Though Bob is about as nondescript a name as Tom, honestly.

Bob is the Dale replacement, as in the comics all that leg stuff happens to him instead. But the guy who played him hosed off and they needed someone for that story arc to happen too. Same with Tara, she's going to be filling in all of Andrea parts. It seems to me in season 3 they couldn't decide if they wanted to follow the comics accurately or not, then made the decision to do so in season 4 and had to replace the characters they killed off in order for it to work. Season 5, they've been playing catch up and really trying get a lot more of the comic arcs across. Does Season 5 seem a lot better to most people? That's why. The Beth/Police arc is the one original part since her and Darryl are original characters so their arc seems weaker than the rest.

There was a big teaser moment for the comic fans in the last Terminus episode. When they have the eight men lined up in front of the bleeding trough, the teaser for the episode has the guy line up right behind Glenn and begin to swing. Before the episode aired, I thought it might be a call-back (or forward) to the fact that Negan beats Glenn's head in with a bat much later on.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Caedus posted:

Bob is the Dale replacement, as in the comics all that leg stuff happens to him instead. But the guy who played him hosed off and they needed someone for that story arc to happen too. Same with Tara, she's going to be filling in all of Andrea parts. It seems to me in season 3 they couldn't decide if they wanted to follow the comics accurately or not, then made the decision to do so in season 4 and had to replace the characters they killed off in order for it to work. Season 5, they've been playing catch up and really trying get a lot more of the comic arcs across. Does Season 5 seem a lot better to most people? That's why. The Beth/Police arc is the one original part since her and Darryl are original characters so their arc seems weaker than the rest.

There was a big teaser moment for the comic fans in the last Terminus episode. When they have the eight men lined up in front of the bleeding trough, the teaser for the episode has the guy line up right behind Glenn and begin to swing. Before the episode aired, I thought it might be a call-back (or forward) to the fact that Negan beats Glenn's head in with a bat much later on.

I doubt that Tara is going to be filling Andrea's role. Also yeah thats what I got from that clip.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Caedus posted:

I think Bob and Tara exist more because the showrunners realized it was loving absurd to have exactly one black character in the main cast of a show set outside of Atlanta. The weirdest part of their indecisiveness about following the comics was having T-Dog be Tyreese minus a family or anything cool, then deciding gently caress it, we'll have Tyreese anyway.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think Bob and Tara exist more because the showrunners realized it was loving absurd to have exactly one black character in the main cast of a show set outside of Atlanta. The weirdest part of their indecisiveness about following the comics was having T-Dog be Tyreese minus a family or anything cool, then deciding gently caress it, we'll have Tyreese anyway.

Except by the time they bothered to bring in Tyreese the were at the point in the story where he gets written out of the comics. So show Tyreese is pretty much a different character than comic Tyreese which is sort of fine since comics Tyreese didn't have much of character beyond "is a black dude" IIRC.

The reason for the varying degrees of consistency is the high turn over in the writing staff. They go through writers like the show goes through minor characters who just suddenly started talking about their backstory.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Scientist: "We need to stabilize the field or risk a massive thermo breach."

Soldier: "In English, please" *smug look*

If what they say isn't complete gibberish, it's not hard to follow. It makes the scientist look alien and the soldier an rear end in a top hat. No one wins.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lagomorphic posted:

Except by the time they bothered to bring in Tyreese the were at the point in the story where he gets written out of the comics. So show Tyreese is pretty much a different character than comic Tyreese which is sort of fine since comics Tyreese didn't have much of character beyond "is a black dude" IIRC.

The reason for the varying degrees of consistency is the high turn over in the writing staff. They go through writers like the show goes through minor characters who just suddenly started talking about their backstory.

In the show Daryl is closer to comic Tyreese - Rick's right hand man. Also how can you say the show only has one black main character, when they also have Michonne?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Inzombiac posted:

If what they say isn't complete gibberish, it's not hard to follow. It makes the scientist look alien and the soldier an rear end in a top hat. No one wins.

I was watching under the dome and there was one of these with the reporter and radio lady early on. My bad memory caricature of the scene:

radio lady : "something fairly straightforward that shows she knows her job"
reporter lady: "LOL OK HOW ABOUT YOU SAY THAT AGAIN IN LAYMAN'S TERMS :smug:"

Basically she did a line that made her look really stupid, and like she was insulting the other woman for knowing her poo poo.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Light Gun Man posted:

I was watching under the dome and there was one of these with the reporter and radio lady early on. My bad memory caricature of the scene:

radio lady : "something fairly straightforward that shows she knows her job"
reporter lady: "LOL OK HOW ABOUT YOU SAY THAT AGAIN IN LAYMAN'S TERMS :smug:"

Basically she did a line that made her look really stupid, and like she was insulting the other woman for knowing her poo poo.

I'm not sure whether that's better or worse than the other trend:
Geek: "Complete gibberish that doesn't make sense to anyone with a passing knowledge of the topic"
Down-to-earth Real Person™: "In English, please?"
Geek: "Slow, careful explanation by analogy of something that's still 100% bullshit"
Real Person™: "Was that so hard?"

Probably worse, because now it's correct stuff that the writer could understand well enough to write about, which means the audience understands it and is left wondering why the Real Hero Protagonist Person doesn't.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I get that too. They've been really hesitant to do some of the darker stuff that happened, like Julie being killed with Lori, Hershel's two youngest daughters, etc. I thought it was really weird to have Carol live and Sophia die, and leave out Allan with Billy and his brother.. then have them do that arc anyways with the two girls instead, and to have Carol do the killing instead of Carl.

Tyreese's daughter is supposed to be younger and die in a suicide pact with her boyfriend, but instead we have a badass Sasha who lives.

I don't really mind the changes, I get that it's being adapted for TV and I'm not going to get literally the comics on TV, just as a fan of the comics it's been really weird to see what they've decided to keep and what to change, only for them to go back and decide to change it back.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

mng posted:

It's been a while now so I'd just say it's due to low maintenance and spare parts or something. Also it's fun to see hopes dashed.
Helicopters are finicky bastards that need constant maintenance in the best of times, and a zombie apocalypse is the worst of times.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I think most aircraft crashes in zombie settings are meant to imply someone on the aircraft was infected and took out the pilot, or the pilot was infected and turned, whatever. It's easy to imagine the military responding quickly before understanding the situation and getting hosed up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CannonFodder posted:

Helicopters are finicky bastards that need constant maintenance in the best of times, and a zombie apocalypse is the worst of times.

See also the ones in ER

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

This is basically every other line of dialogue in that new Scorpion show, and it is unbearable.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
One that continues to bug me to this day.

In the Reeve Superman movie, Lex makes a kryptonite necklace from a meteor. He puts it on Superman, and then pushes him off into the water.

For some reason, the kryptonite floats around in the water like it's made of plastic or something. It's a heavy rock, it survived being sent through earth's atmosphere to Addis Ababa, it should be incredibly dense and not womble around in the water while Superman tries to take it off. It's finally removed and lobbed out of the water and into the sewer, and all the while it's just floating around and not being all, you know, meteor like.

MY IMMERSION!!!! IT IS RUINED!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

One that continues to bug me to this day.

In the Reeve Superman movie, Lex makes a kryptonite necklace from a meteor. He puts it on Superman, and then pushes him off into the water.

For some reason, the kryptonite floats around in the water like it's made of plastic or something. It's a heavy rock, it survived being sent through earth's atmosphere to Addis Ababa, it should be incredibly dense and not womble around in the water while Superman tries to take it off. It's finally removed and lobbed out of the water and into the sewer, and all the while it's just floating around and not being all, you know, meteor like.

MY IMMERSION!!!! IT IS RUINED!

If you really want to retcon it, some volcanic rocks are very porous and float.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-08/13/pumice-island

I guess maybe a really weird meteorite could work the same way? Not really an expert on the Supes and kryptonite though.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CannonFodder posted:

There are helicopters still functioning in Syria. If they can survive in those conditions then a Zombie apocalypse is no biggie.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I haven't seen this mentioned: superhero movies where the hero takes his mask off or has it destroyed just to get the actor more face time. Spiderman 1 & 2 and Batman Returns spring immediately to mind.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

BiggerBoat posted:

I haven't seen this mentioned: superhero movies where the hero takes his mask off or has it destroyed just to get the actor more face time. Spiderman 1 & 2 and Batman Returns spring immediately to mind.

I loved how Karl Urban never removed his helm in Dredd, fit the character perfectly.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I just watched the movie Horrible Bosses again. Both Jason Bateman and Jason Sudekis have pretty good reasons for killing their bosses, but Charlie Day's situation doesn't make much sense. Jennifer Aniston is blackmailing him for sex, and he can't quit because he's a registered sex offender and he won't get a job anywhere else as a dental assistant. But if he kills her he's out of a job anyway, unless there is more than one dentist who works at the office, which I didn't see. If he just quits he's in the exact same place as if he kills her and not facing a potential murder charge.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Ego-bot posted:

I just watched the movie Horrible Bosses again. Both Jason Bateman and Jason Sudekis have pretty good reasons for killing their bosses, but Charlie Day's situation doesn't make much sense. Jennifer Aniston is blackmailing him for sex, and he can't quit because he's a registered sex offender and he won't get a job anywhere else as a dental assistant. But if he kills her he's out of a job anyway, unless there is more than one dentist who works at the office, which I didn't see. If he just quits he's in the exact same place as if he kills her and not facing a potential murder charge.

Wasn't she blackmailing him with some fabricated evidence that he was having an affair with her? He quits, she ruins his relationship.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

mng posted:

I loved how Karl Urban never removed his helm in Dredd, fit the character perfectly.

The script called for him to remove it a few times and Urban refused. Dude knows what's up.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The Mosasaurus is the Jurassic World trailer is way the goddamn hell too big. It's shown swallowing a big Great White whole which would make it easily around 100-110 feet long, and Mosasaurus topped out around 50-59. It'd be fine if the tone of the trailer wasn't Chris Pratt being surprised at engineering new dinosaur traits, since they clearly already have a giant terrifying adult one around he should have known about.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

theironjef posted:

The Mosasaurus is the Jurassic World trailer is way the goddamn hell too big. It's shown swallowing a big Great White whole which would make it easily around 100-110 feet long, and Mosasaurus topped out around 50-59. It'd be fine if the tone of the trailer wasn't Chris Pratt being surprised at engineering new dinosaur traits, since they clearly already have a giant terrifying adult one around he should have known about.

Someone in another thread called it a "liopleurodon" so maybe it is? I mean without knowing more than what we see in like...10 seconds you can't really get too angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Len posted:

Someone in another thread called it a "liopleurodon" so maybe it is? I mean without knowing more than what we see in like...10 seconds you can't really get too angry.

Those (liopleurodon) got to be about 22 feet long. He might have meant pliosaur, which was originally thought to be super-huge but has recently been downgraded to 30-42 feet. Oh well, we'll see what the movie has to say.