Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Maneki Neko posted:

Does USA Live stream show it, or is that just sporadic?

http://www.usanetwork.com/videos/live

You're not going to be able to grab it via an antenna, and WWE Network doesn't offer it.

It doesn't look like it. Most of the shady streams I see are just off someone's TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm of no help to your problem, Irritated Goat, but I've also been having hella wifi issues with my Chromecast(s). poo poo is annoying.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Irritated Goat posted:

I have a somewhat odd request. The only thing I can't stream is Monday Night Raw (USA Network). The only sites that do stream it are the nice shady ones and occasionally, you have to change sites during broadcast as the stream will fail. I'm assuming an antenna is overkill. My chromecast won't stay on WiFi properly so I'm looking for a workaround or a better idea of getting this 1 particular show I watch live and nothing else. :sigh:

Currently using a Roku 3 w\ Plex for everything else.

Does it have to be watched live? If not, Hulu Plus has it the next day.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Silly Burrito posted:

Does it have to be watched live? If not, Hulu Plus has it the next day.

The upload to Hulu is actually cut up and doesn't contain the entire broadcast.

Gyshall posted:

I'm of no help to your problem, Irritated Goat, but I've also been having hella wifi issues with my Chromecast(s). poo poo is annoying.

Very. I've had to do the WiFi dance with mine more than I've ever wanted to.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Don Lapre posted:

Yes but you need a device capable of mpeg2 decoding which lots of things do not support.

This one
http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-H...=hdhomerun+h264

Will transcode internally to h264

Darn. The Fire TV doesn't have hardware accelerated mpeg2 support. That one you linked seems to have mixed reviews and I was really hoping to grab a cheap one.

Irritated Goat posted:

You aren't missing much. Most of the time, they cut out non-essential filler, filler matches and pieces of the match when they come back to commercial (so instead of seeing one guy get beat up and making a comeback, they just cut back when the guy's making a comeback)

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Call Me Charlie posted:

You aren't missing much. Most of the time, they cut out non-essential filler, filler matches and pieces of the match when they come back to commercial (so instead of seeing one guy get beat up and making a comeback, they just cut back when the guy's making a comeback)

This is true a lot of the time, but it can also be horrendous the way they edit it. It's a 3 hour show edited down to 1.5 hours. They can do good work, but in my recent experience what they choose to be "cuttable" has been good stuff. For example they'll cut 3 or 4 "filler" matches which turn out to be really good but aren't John Cena so they're considered filler, then will leave in a 40 minute John Cena/Bella promo even though it's been aired 500x prior over and over. I know it's hard to cut 1/2 the show, but 9 out of 10 times I've watched it, the thing I heard about or looked forward to seeing was almost always cut. (Hello anything involving Goldust/Stardust or Wyatt related)

Right now as far as I can tell though, Hulu+ shows it the next day and other than that shady streaming sites are the only legit choices you have. The only other option is to :filez: it up late that night, but as far as live streaming goes I'd love to see another option one day.

VVV Yeah but I think he was asking (I could be wrong) if there were any legitimate streams of USA out there, if not then yeah there are some solid acestreams out there yeah but we all know the drill there

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 26, 2014

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
99% sure theres tons of good sopcast/acestreams of this every week. Xbmc plus sportsdevil+p2pstrems will let you access any stream out there.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I used the shady sites and used them frequently. Yes, the losing a stream in the middle sucks royal.

The last 3 weeks have been awesome though. I downloaded the USA network app and use a family member's dish log in. Stream is perfect.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Irritated Goat posted:

I have a somewhat odd request. The only thing I can't stream is Monday Night Raw (USA Network). The only sites that do stream it are the nice shady ones and occasionally, you have to change sites during broadcast as the stream will fail. I'm assuming an antenna is overkill. My chromecast won't stay on WiFi properly so I'm looking for a workaround or a better idea of getting this 1 particular show I watch live and nothing else. :sigh:

Currently using a Roku 3 w\ Plex for everything else.

Use this site to stream RAW:

http://bigevents.tv/

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Bird Law posted:

Really close to cord cutting and even though it's still a monthly TV bill, which I'm trying to drop altogether, the Roamio just looks too good to pass up in spite of the subscription needed. Are there other options for simple, OTA DVRs that come close to the Roamio?

FYI, the Roamio is currently $109 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00EEOSZK0/ref%3Dnosim/water70e-20

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
HI everyone. I'm trying to figure out what my best option is for my TV. It's not a smart TV and I don't want cable, so I'm trying to figure out the best options for streamings. The needs to have are:

NHL gamecenter
HBO go

That's about it really, everything else would be nice like youtube, twitch, hulu/netflix ect. Is the Roku 3 my best option or is there something I'm secretly missing with that product?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Veskit posted:

HI everyone. I'm trying to figure out what my best option is for my TV. It's not a smart TV and I don't want cable, so I'm trying to figure out the best options for streamings. The needs to have are:

NHL gamecenter
HBO go

That's about it really, everything else would be nice like youtube, twitch, hulu/netflix ect. Is the Roku 3 my best option or is there something I'm secretly missing with that product?

The secret is that its pretty much useless for anything that isn't whatever vanilla services have made a port for roku. My suggestion would be something more modular and customizable like an android enabled device like amazon firetv (where you could load all those apps and more) or take a walk on the wild side with us guys with straight up android boxes.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Gozinbulx posted:

The secret is that its pretty much useless for anything that isn't whatever vanilla services have made a port for roku.

Aren't all those services vanilla for Roku? Maybe I'm just missing why I'd want something else. Roku, Apple TV and android seem to be the only devices to play NHL Gamecenter. I'd have to buy a chromecast and a tablet to watch gamecenter then, or go down the other crazy route. Sorry to be dense but could you explain what benefits I'd get with a amazon fire TV when I just want those services?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Veskit posted:

Aren't all those services vanilla for Roku? Maybe I'm just missing why I'd want something else. Roku, Apple TV and android seem to be the only devices to play NHL Gamecenter. I'd have to buy a chromecast and a tablet to watch gamecenter then, or go down the other crazy route. Sorry to be dense but could you explain what benefits I'd get with a amazon fire TV when I just want those services?

You get all your bespoke streaming apps (NHL, mlb, hulu, whatever) and then xbmc

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Veskit posted:

Maybe I'm just missing why I'd want something else.
You wouldn't. The Android boxes are more suited to, shall we say, gadget enthusiasts.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I think xbmc is pretty tits but OK.

Does anyone else have a hell of a time getting button assignments to stick for the flirc? I programmed a whole slew of buttons, saved the config and tried it out. A bunch of random ones didn't stick apparently. Not the first time it happens either. And half the time trying to erase a button assignment does not take either. Its just weirdly buggy for something which seems relatively simple.

Any tips or something I'm missing?

Edit: just realized I meant to post this in the htpc thread but I'll leave it.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

For what it's worth at the moment - Amazon has the fire tv box (as opposed to stick) for $69 for the next 45 minutes. (12 am pacific)

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

EugeneJ posted:

Use this site to stream RAW:

http://bigevents.tv/

Until I can afford an Amazon Fire stick, Roku doesn't stream directly from websites so yeah...

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
I have a Comcast Xfinity account, but spend a fair amount of time at another house that doesn't have Cable TV service. I'd like to be able to open up a web browser on the TV there and log into Xfinity and stream stuff, and I'd like to be able to do this without involving my computer.

As I understand it, I can use Chromecast, open up Xfinity in Chrome on my laptop, and then cast that to the TV. This is a little short of what I want, but it's like $30 so it's pretty tempting. My questions are:

1) If I use Chromecast and cast something to the TV from my browser, can I keep using the laptop to do other stuff while it's casting, or do I need to keep the casting tab open/active?

2) Is there an inexpensive (less than $100) but high quality device like a ChromeCast or Fire TV stick that has an embedded browser? That's really what I'm looking for.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sub Par posted:

I have a Comcast Xfinity account, but spend a fair amount of time at another house that doesn't have Cable TV service. I'd like to be able to open up a web browser on the TV there and log into Xfinity and stream stuff, and I'd like to be able to do this without involving my computer.

As I understand it, I can use Chromecast, open up Xfinity in Chrome on my laptop, and then cast that to the TV. This is a little short of what I want, but it's like $30 so it's pretty tempting. My questions are:

1) If I use Chromecast and cast something to the TV from my browser, can I keep using the laptop to do other stuff while it's casting, or do I need to keep the casting tab open/active?

2) Is there an inexpensive (less than $100) but high quality device like a ChromeCast or Fire TV stick that has an embedded browser? That's really what I'm looking for.

I know that you don't want to spend any money, so my suggestion isn't really for you, but...

A low-end laptop with a broken screen, HDMI port, and dead battery, is super cheap on ebay and makes a great HTPC. Buy a wireless kb/mouse and you have an excellent small, power efficient HTPC. Full Windows, no messing about with Apps, and you can just go straight to the browser for everything. You can find pretty decent ones for <$100 if you look around.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Giant noob here, apologies in advance. Didn't see anything regarding Chromecast/Plex in the OP. Have a smart tv at my parents house, girlfriend just bought a Chromecast. I wanted to know if there was a way to put films/tv on my iPhone and then play them through Chromecast?

The solution I have seen on Google (as I understand it) would be to install plex on my pc and phone then buy a plex pass and pick what I wanted to watch prior to casting at her house? Is that correct, and is it that easy?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Lofty132 posted:

The solution I have seen on Google (as I understand it) would be to install plex on my pc and phone then buy a plex pass and pick what I wanted to watch prior to casting at her house? Is that correct, and is it that easy?

It is even easier than that; you don't need Plexpass anymore.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Why not? It says I need it to use it if I'm away from my house?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lofty132 posted:

Why not? It says I need it to use it if I'm away from my house?

These are the only benefits of having a Plex Pass subscription: https://plex.tv/subscription/about

You do not need Plex Pass in order to stream media from your Plex server remotely. Here's the Plex thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3620605&pagenumber=1 and the Android streamer/chromecast thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561652 if you have any questions.

Goddimus
Nov 27, 2000

Irritated Goat posted:

Until I can afford an Amazon Fire stick, Roku doesn't stream directly from websites so yeah...

Hulu Plus has a 90 minute version of raw and you can get a Hulu Plus membership for free from Bing Rewards with some daily searching on Bing

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I know that you don't want to spend any money, so my suggestion isn't really for you, but...

A low-end laptop with a broken screen, HDMI port, and dead battery, is super cheap on ebay and makes a great HTPC. Buy a wireless kb/mouse and you have an excellent small, power efficient HTPC. Full Windows, no messing about with Apps, and you can just go straight to the browser for everything. You can find pretty decent ones for <$100 if you look around.

That's a pretty good suggestion. I'll poke around Craigslist and see what I can dig up, thanks.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
I've just discovered the Tivo Roamio. Is it as good as it sounds? Basic cable plus Hulu, Amazon and Netflix, and we do watch a pretty decent amount of TV around here. Does the searching between cable and apps work well? It sounds like this might be the easiest way to go instead of getting a spreadsheet out and figuring out when things get posted to the internet, how long they're retained, etc. and I don't have to roll my own DVR for the cable side. Opinions on it before I buy one?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Panthrax posted:

I've just discovered the Tivo Roamio. Is it as good as it sounds? Basic cable plus Hulu, Amazon and Netflix, and we do watch a pretty decent amount of TV around here. Does the searching between cable and apps work well? It sounds like this might be the easiest way to go instead of getting a spreadsheet out and figuring out when things get posted to the internet, how long they're retained, etc. and I don't have to roll my own DVR for the cable side. Opinions on it before I buy one?

I really enjoy mine when I use it for basic OTA TV. The apps work well, but I find myself liking the Roku 3 more for apps like Netflix and Amazon. Just personal preference. For some reason, my Tivo's Hulu app skips a ton more commercials than the Roku does, so I prefer the Tivo for Hulu Plus. I don't do a lot of searching, but when I do, it works decently.

The Tivo is about the simplest way to go though if you want an all-in-one solution. I went for the lifetime subscription with the PLSR code for $100 off and it's already paid for itself since I cut the DirecTV cord in February.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Goddimus posted:

Hulu Plus has a 90 minute version of raw and you can get a Hulu Plus membership for free from Bing Rewards with some daily searching on Bing

Irritated Goat posted:

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
More questions! Doing a little more research, it appears I'm seeing clear QAM coming in. I've got the cable plugged directly into my TV, and after doing a scan it comes up with a bunch of channels, including ones like 26.245 or 35.112. From what I'm seeing that's the clear QAM nomenclature, and the Tivos can't give you guide info based on that, it needs to have a cablecard. I see you can get these off eBay. Do they have to be keyed/authed by your cable company, or can I just pop it in and it will figure out how to deal with the channels and give me the guide?

Thanks guys!

Edit: Doing a little more research, looks like the CC doesn't communicate back to the office, but you do need to have a card that's compatible. There's ~4 different brands out there. Let's see if I can figure it out!

Panthrax fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 9, 2014

Goddimus
Nov 27, 2000

It's a 3 hour show that should be 2 hours anyway. Cut out the commercials and it's back to the good old days.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Panthrax posted:

More questions! Doing a little more research, it appears I'm seeing clear QAM coming in. I've got the cable plugged directly into my TV, and after doing a scan it comes up with a bunch of channels, including ones like 26.245 or 35.112. From what I'm seeing that's the clear QAM nomenclature, and the Tivos can't give you guide info based on that, it needs to have a cablecard. I see you can get these off eBay. Do they have to be keyed/authed by your cable company, or can I just pop it in and it will figure out how to deal with the channels and give me the guide?

Thanks guys!

Edit: Doing a little more research, looks like the CC doesn't communicate back to the office, but you do need to have a card that's compatible. There's ~4 different brands out there. Let's see if I can figure it out!

Your cable card is provided by your cable provider.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Did Hulu Plus ever offer a commercial free option? I remember looking really hard at them a couple years ago but there was no option to go sans advertising.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Did Hulu Plus ever offer a commercial free option? I remember looking really hard at them a couple years ago but there was no option to go sans advertising.

Nope. It's why they annoy a lot of people: subscription cost AND mandatory ads.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Well gently caress that then.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Don't worry, everything on Hulu is poo poo anyway. Except The Big Lebowski, which is the only thing I ever watched on Hulu. gently caress Hulu.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Gyshall posted:

Don't worry, everything on Hulu is poo poo anyway. Except The Big Lebowski, which is the only thing I ever watched on Hulu. gently caress Hulu.

They have an exclusive deal with Criterion which is, as the kids in CD would say, p. dope

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Casyl posted:

Nope. It's why they annoy a lot of people: subscription cost AND mandatory ads.

Lets not also forget that some of the paid Hulu Plus content can only be watched if you have a cable TV subscription.

Infact, I'm going to cancel my Hulu Plus subscription right now.

EDIT: Clicking cancel gave me two free months.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Isn't some hulu content on free not on paid as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Don Lapre posted:

Isn't some hulu content on free not on paid as well?

Not that I know of, but I watch it so infrequently I can't remember.