Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

LanceKing2200 posted:

I keep mine hooked up as a dedicated Melee/Brawl/Project M/Smash 64 box, since it supports gamecube games and controllers, but other than the Smash bros series, yeah, every game works just fine on the WiiU.

ah okay, so the only downside is I can't use the GC controller in games that support it like Resident Evil REmake for Wii and Smash Bros. Melee. Got it.

Not the end of the world I suppose since I will just be playing Smash 4 anyway.

I still keep my GC around for the GB Player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Stan Taylor posted:

The Wooly World stage in Smash is so loving adorable. Is it weird that the games I'm most excited about are Captain toad, Yoshi, and Kirby?

Also, playing the Gamer stage makes me want to finally pick up that wario game. And then the amiibos! loving Nintendo, making me want to buy poo poo.

Captain Toad was the game that pushed me over the edge in buying a Wii, so no. I didn't even know it was previously from Mario 3D World either. I saw the e3 trailer and loved it.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's the first footage of the "new" Rodea the Sky Soldier for Wii U/3DS. You won't believe it used to be a Wii game!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyWf0PUU-28

So apparently they're bundling this with the Wii game, which was completed but never released.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Stan Taylor posted:

The Wooly World stage in Smash is so loving adorable. Is it weird that the games I'm most excited about are Captain toad, Yoshi, and Kirby?

Also, playing the Gamer stage makes me want to finally pick up that wario game. And then the amiibos! loving Nintendo, making me want to buy poo poo.

Wario's the only U game I own that I don't like, that stage is better than the game. It's nowhere near as good as previous Wario games. It's got a good Pictionary knockoff in it though!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Awesome. Thank you.

There's legitimately no reason to have a regular Wii hooked up any longer, is there? I can't think of even the most obscure of scenarios that would warrant it, unless someone can think of one.

GameCube support (Nintendont, DIOS MIOS, Devolution) isn't perfect. It's always getting small updates. Different compatibility lists for each and weird bugs, especially with widescreen in certain games.
Things that use the GameCube memory card ports like the GameCube Microphone will never work. DK Bongos and GBA connectivity will also probably never work. And obviously you can kiss Mario Kart Double Dash LAN and Phantasy Star Online goodbye but that wasn't on Wii either.
I think that's it. GBA connectivity is the biggest one for me. Tests with the GameCube controller adaptor make it seem like it's not going to happen.

I've had some issues with certain VC and WiiWare channel wads booting to a black screen on the vWii. Even region free stuff where it shouldn't. I've spent a while trying to fix it but gave up. Many solutions are dangerous or not applicable to vWii so I might try it again if I ever get an emunand setup.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Help Im Alive posted:

That would be really cool but I don't wanna get my hopes up because I think Amazon France have done this a few times now. I remember they had a Wii U Kid Icarus Uprising listed for a while like a year ago

Is this like a marketing thing? Like maybe there's the one goon on Amazon France's team that keeps hoping if he lists the game he wants the popular response will be so strong the company will have to make it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Heran Bago posted:

GameCube support (Nintendont, DIOS MIOS, Devolution) isn't perfect. It's always getting small updates. Different compatibility lists for each and weird bugs, especially with widescreen in certain games.
Things that use the GameCube memory card ports like the GameCube Microphone will never work. DK Bongos and GBA connectivity will also probably never work. And obviously you can kiss Mario Kart Double Dash LAN and Phantasy Star Online goodbye but that wasn't on Wii either.
I think that's it. GBA connectivity is the biggest one for me. Tests with the GameCube controller adaptor make it seem like it's not going to happen.

I've had some issues with certain VC and WiiWare channel wads booting to a black screen on the vWii. Even region free stuff where it shouldn't. I've spent a while trying to fix it but gave up. Many solutions are dangerous or not applicable to vWii so I might try it again if I ever get an emunand setup.

Well thank you again for your helpful post, it is much appreciated and will be fun to mess with over the holiday.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Should I pickup Skyward Sword? Is it an endless sea of waggling?

Skyward Sword requires precise movements to function correctly, so I guess it depends on your definition of "waggle." You will be using the Wiimote to do basically everything, including the flying and swimming controls that leave something to be desired. The swordplay is certainly top notch, although many people will disagree and say that they barely work. The controls are very polarizing. It has some really fantastic dungeon design and some of the best boss fights in the whole series. There are really only three main areas, and you often have to go back through them multiple times throughout the game. The areas are kind of like dungeons of their own, which again was kind of polarizing. There are also a few forced stealth sections which aren't horrible but also aren't a whole lot of fun. I would recommend the game in a heartbeat if you like Zelda, but be aware that it requires a Wiimote+ or a Wii Motion Plus adaptor, and that the controls can take some time to get used to. Also the first like, hour or so is really dreadfully boring.

Surlaw posted:

Wario's the only U game I own that I don't like, that stage is better than the game. It's nowhere near as good as previous Wario games. It's got a good Pictionary knockoff in it though!

Sketch is the most requested game to play at the gaming nights I have at my apartment. It's really excellent.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Stan Taylor posted:

I guess the Wario game is worth checking out if you can get it for like... $10. It IS pretty fun with 3 or 4 (or more) people, but as far as single player goes, there's only like 2 minigames worth playing more than once or twice (and one of them is Gamer, because it's like WarioWare Lite.)

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Sketch should really just be sold on the eshop by itself so no one accidentally plays the other bad games included.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Skyward Sword requires precise movements to function correctly, so I guess it depends on your definition of "waggle." You will be using the Wiimote to do basically everything, including the flying and swimming controls that leave something to be desired. The swordplay is certainly top notch, although many people will disagree and say that they barely work. The controls are very polarizing. It has some really fantastic dungeon design and some of the best boss fights in the whole series. There are really only three main areas, and you often have to go back through them multiple times throughout the game. The areas are kind of like dungeons of their own, which again was kind of polarizing. There are also a few forced stealth sections which aren't horrible but also aren't a whole lot of fun. I would recommend the game in a heartbeat if you like Zelda, but be aware that it requires a Wiimote+ or a Wii Motion Plus adaptor, and that the controls can take some time to get used to. Also the first like, hour or so is really dreadfully boring.

A counterpoint from one of those that didn't like Skyward Sword. The "precise movements" are indeed very specific and if you use the wiimote like you're swinging a sword (I know, why would you do that??) it ain't gonna work and Ghirahim is going to pull your rear end in a top hat out through your nose. So you have to learn a different subset of moves that don't actually match up that well to what Link is doing. And yeah, while the dungeons are overall pretty great, that's about all that's great. The overworld stuff is a bit on the dry side for my tastes and Skyloft/the Sky are so goddamn boring. 3D Zeldas have had it rough with overworlds but I think the Sky takes the cake for worst overworld in a Zelda game.

Also it introduced the Imprisoned to us, so thanks for also ruining Hyrule Warriors.

But really I think the problem is that it traded so heavily on the waggle mechanics that don't really add anything to the game. Combat has never been Zelda's strong suit, but I liked it better when it was just mashing A until enemies die because then you can just be on your way. Even when I got the swordplay to work (about 50/50, personally), it didn't feel any more complex or fulfilling. But I think it's because I had just finished Darksiders before I took on Skyward Sword, and man, Darksiders is so much better at being a Zelda game.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

RyokoTK posted:

Also it introduced the Imprisoned to us, so thanks for also ruining Hyrule Warriors.

On the other hand, we get that one adventure mode fight where you can kill a bunch of Imprisoneds in a single hit.

What I'm getting at here is buy Hyrule Warriors.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Definitely buy Hyrule Warriors.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

You have to really be into the repetitive content that Hyrule Warriors offers up to enjoy it but if you're an idiot like me you will be playing it forever. I've got like 70 hours into it and I've still got a little more of the base adventure map to go, barely touched any of the Master Quest adventure map from the DLC pack I bought, and the Twilight Princess map is coming out soon.

Hyrule Warriors has an insane amount of content if you want it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I'd really rather just play WarioWare than Gamer.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

elf help book posted:

I'd really rather just play WarioWare than Gamer.

This is in reference to the actual games and not Smash stages, right? Because the Smash stage Gamer owns pretty hard.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

RyokoTK posted:

This is in reference to the actual games and not Smash stages, right? Because the Smash stage Gamer owns pretty hard.

Yes.

Pause and peek around the Gamer stage, the table has WarioWare character stickers on it. :)

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with Nintendon't. It's been kind of a hassle ripping games and doing the savegame migrating stuff, but I played a some NHL Hitz 2002 last night and I was really impressed with how good it looked with progressive forced on.

Hopefully they'll get the gamecube adapter working with the front USB at some point, since I don't feel like messing with unhooking my hard drive every time I want to play some sweet decade+ old video games.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

elf help book posted:

Yes.

Pause and peek around the Gamer stage, the table has WarioWare character stickers on it. :)

:dogstare:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Going to give Wario Ware sketch a try thanks to this thread.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Going to give Wario Ware sketch a try thanks to this thread.

Turn off Miiverse or whatever (Spotpass maybe?) if it'll let you, otherwise, every single sketch you make gets posted to Miiverse, so your "wall" is full of lovely sketches.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

enojy posted:

Turn off Miiverse or whatever (Spotpass maybe?) if it'll let you, otherwise, every single sketch you make gets posted to Miiverse, so your "wall" is full of lovely sketches.

I don't see the problem with this. :colbert:

In fact, I encourage it. I love seeing amazing/terrible Miiverse posts on my activity feed. Please add Kaubocks on Wii U if you're the kind of person who likes posting on Miiverse. I love Miiverse.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I sent my Wii U in for repairs, does this jeopardise my nintendo network account in any way?

Like when I get it back I can just log in and download my games right?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Miiverse is one of the best thing about the Wii u

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It totally is, and I wish Nintendo drew more attention to it. It's like Dark Souls messages, but system-wide and with crude line drawings. I've seen too many IRL people I know with Wii U's unaware that it's a thing.

It also helped me find some green stars in 3D World.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Reoxygenation posted:

I sent my Wii U in for repairs, does this jeopardise my nintendo network account in any way?

Like when I get it back I can just log in and download my games right?

If you sent it to Nintendo they'll just transfer your NNID to any replacement needed. You can just download anything as if it was your original.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Stamps Ruin Miiverse

Please do not use stamps. Just draw to the best of your abilities, tia.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Guys, thank you so much.

I've been feeling like warmed up dogshit for the past week (wrangling paperwork, lovely family members, shittier news stories) and no game I played helped my mood.

And then I played Epic Yarn.

I have no idea what it is about that charming little bastard. It is a basic 2d platformer but it doesn't just make me smile - I've actually giggled at some of the more imaginative designs. Taking Telltale's "lose currency instead of progress" game design really shouldn't translate well to Kirby, yet it all coheres into a stupidly fun time.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Ziddar posted:

If you sent it to Nintendo they'll just transfer your NNID to any replacement needed. You can just download anything as if it was your original.

Phew thank god :)

I backed some saves before it all went to poo poo, hope I'll be able to move them back... time will tell!!!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Kaubocks posted:

Stamps Ruin Miiverse

Please do not use stamps. Just draw to the best of your abilities, tia.

Speaking of, have a general question. Is there any way to turn off the Miiverse icon off when playing Bayonetta? It hands out in the upper right hand part of the gamepad and is really annoying.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I think stamps are a cool alternative to achievements. You get a little something to use instead of making a number get bigger. Part of me kind of wished you could use them in any Miiverse post but looking at it now I'm glad they're game restricted so I don't have to see the same Mario stamp spammed in every message

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Louisgod posted:

Don't play with Kewpuh's emotions like that, his heart can't take it.

whoa

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
i am really sad now though that there is no zombi u 2

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You can't stop me from using the stamp I got on Champion's Road. :colbert:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm sorry but I only remember ever seeing one good stamp post and it was this one.

basically kids think farts are funny and so do I

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

So I just pulled the trigger on the Best Buy Wii U bundle. Picked up Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart 8 earlier on sale so I have a bunch of games waiting to be played. Is there anything I should know about setting up a Wii U / account? Need to pick up a Pro Controller as well. Are the third party ones any good?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Chasiubao posted:

So I just pulled the trigger on the Best Buy Wii U bundle. Picked up Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart 8 earlier on sale so I have a bunch of games waiting to be played. Is there anything I should know about setting up a Wii U / account? Need to pick up a Pro Controller as well. Are the third party ones any good?

During set up there's a question about letting Nintendo contact you (I forget exactly what it says), that's the reason your Gamepad started blinking blue in the middle of the night. That's probably the most common "What the hell" question that shows up in this thread.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Narcissus1916 posted:

Guys, thank you so much.

I've been feeling like warmed up dogshit for the past week (wrangling paperwork, lovely family members, shittier news stories) and no game I played helped my mood.

I have no idea what it is about that charming little bastard. It is a basic 2d platformer but it doesn't just make me smile - I've actually giggled at some of the more imaginative designs. Taking Telltale's "lose currency instead of progress" game design really shouldn't translate well to Kirby, yet it all coheres into a stupidly fun time.

For me Epic Yarn is like most other Kirby games in the "Yeah, it's easy but it makes me feel good and that's what counts" sort of way, which is why I personally love it. I've never played a Yoshi game but I'm totally psyched for Wooly World which I'm sure will scratch a similar itch.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MykonosFan posted:

I've never played a Yoshi game but

Have... have you never played Yoshi's Island? The first one, not Yoshi's Island DS or Yoshi's New Island. Cause uh. You should play it. You should very play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Narcissus1916 posted:

Guys, thank you so much.

I've been playing Epic Yarn with my ladyfriend and we're enjoying it a lot. We just beat Kirby Superstar on Kirby's Dream Collection a few weeks ago, and I think we'll move on to Mario 3D World once I get a Wii U on Black Friday.

Also I want the narrator in Epic Yarn to read me to sleep every night, it's like listening to sugar-coated velvet.

• Locked thread