Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Same Great Paste posted:

You're saying that preheating my pan to 800F and leaving it alone and dry to even out for 5 minutes is no problem at all? When the gray spot appeared I just assumed that I had damaged it from asking too much.

Uhhh, no? That's like self cleaning oven temperatures. Your PAN will be fine, but you will burn off whatever season (or anything else for that matter) you may have started to have on it.

I've certainly never cooked at such a high temperature, and honestly it seems incredibly overkill, unless you're trying to go for some sort of gross Pittsburgh Black & Blue style. That high of a heat has always seemed more like brand bragging than anything functional to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Drifter posted:

Uhhh, no? That's like self cleaning oven temperatures. Your PAN will be fine, but you will burn off whatever season (or anything else for that matter) you may have started to have on it.

I've certainly never cooked at such a high temperature, and honestly it seems incredibly overkill, unless you're trying to go for some sort of gross Pittsburgh Black & Blue style. That high of a heat has always seemed more like brand bragging than anything functional to me.

Pittsburg style is delicious what is wrong with you. But yeah don't do that you're going to hurt your season. I only ask for that at restaurants I trust.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Great, Thank you for clarifying.

So when a recipe says to get the pan as hot as you possibly can, what do they really mean? Where do I set it? If I crank it I top 800F.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Same Great Paste posted:

Great, Thank you for clarifying.

So when a recipe says to get the pan as hot as you possibly can, what do they really mean? Where do I set it? If I crank it I top 800F.
There's nothing wrong with that type of megaheat sear, but you'd need a dedicated pan for just that, pretty much - one you don't care that the season burns off of or discolors and starts to flake.

I'm totally approximating based on random poo poo, but I'd say you don't need to go much past 500F - 270ishC. That's really fuckin' hot. If you want an easier approximation, it's when a higher smoke point oil starts to smoke heavily. That lets you get a figure with relation to time, I suppose. Or just preheat in an oven until it hits 500F and put it on the flame for a few more seconds before laying the meat.

There are many ways to make a steak, and many temperatures, so just do what you like the best. You're only wrong if you over cook it (or don't manage a crust).

Drifter fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 25, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Cast iron isn't as 'even heating' as some people make it out to be. If you put it on the stove and crank the burner up you're going to get a big hot spot right in the middle

When I do steaks I do them right around medium heat. I know that doesn't mean much because every stove is different, but I don't do them anywhere near as hot as I can go. And do use a little bit of oil because I don't want that 'scorched' surface, it's not like on a grill where I can go as hot as I can stand it.

I almost get a little bit of a of fried crust on them.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

Cast iron isn't as 'even heating' as some people make it out to be. If you put it on the stove and crank the burner up you're going to get a big hot spot right in the middle

When I do steaks I do them right around medium heat. I know that doesn't mean much because every stove is different, but I don't do them anywhere near as hot as I can go. And do use a little bit of oil because I don't want that 'scorched' surface, it's not like on a grill where I can go as hot as I can stand it.

I almost get a little bit of a of fried crust on them.

To help with the heat dispersion in the CI, I've taken to putting the pan in the oven at 400-450 for 20-30 mins and then putting it on the stove for the sear.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Some friends were without power for the weekend, cast iron to the rescue!

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Bob Morales posted:

When I do steaks I do them right around medium heat. I know that doesn't mean much because every stove is different, but I don't do them anywhere near as hot as I can go.

I do the same. Electric range, medium heat is as much as I need. The safflower oil I use, with a smoke point of 510°F/265°C, will start to smoke at that point. Anything above that is pretty much reserved for boiling water.

Indolent Bastard posted:

You're a beautiful human being.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Indolent Bastard posted:

You could do some serious paella on that.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I do the same. Electric range, medium heat is as much as I need. The safflower oil I use, with a smoke point of 510°F/265°C, will start to smoke at that point. Anything above that is pretty much reserved for boiling water.

I really wish this info was more widespread, every cast iron steak recipe just has a blanket "crank it to 11, the hotter the better" for temperature. There's an electric range in my current apartment and setting the temp super hot literally smoked me out the first bunch of times I tried searing with it.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Why not to crank your stove to Max:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8zGEc2ohBM

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Some good advice. I havent made a steak on a skillet in a while but i was starting to think that there is a such thing as too hot. makes sense from my experiences. Last beef i did was burgers and i did them on medium, flipped often and had great results. Had a good crust and the whole patty was meduim rare; almost looked like a sous vide burger.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Bob Saget IRL posted:

Some good advice. I havent made a steak on a skillet in a while but i was starting to think that there is a such thing as too hot. makes sense from my experiences. Last beef i did was burgers and i did them on medium, flipped often and had great results. Had a good crust and the whole patty was meduim rare; almost looked like a sous vide burger.

I don't know about everybody else's experience, but I've never gone higher than medium heat. I just give the pan a bit of time to heat up, add butter because, man, steak in butter is something you can't beat when it comes to taste, bless my future heart attack. Two minutes each side, and done.

With two minutes on each side, I'm only speaking for the absurdly thin steaks that are available around here. :smith:

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Indolent Bastard posted:

holy gently caress you own.

(what did the pan look like afterwards? Hopefully equally awesome?)

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Paper With Lines posted:

Seriously this rocks, no matter the consequences.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

It's good to see Heisenberg is staying busy after his meth empire collapsed.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Paper With Lines posted:

The pan looked fine a little sooty on the bottom, but otherwise just fine.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

I found a griswold #3. Took a drill brush to it, and made it look silver. I've cleaned a couple other old pans and they always look black still. I just thought i cleaned this one more. But i seasoned it, used it, but when i wipe it with a bit of paper towel it looks dirty. Like im wiping a drill bit after drilling through steel. Someone else posted abour chrome or nickel plated cast iron.. is thst what i got? Should i be treating it different? I need to know cause its great for a couple eggs.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bob Saget IRL posted:

I found a griswold #3. Took a drill brush to it, and made it look silver. I've cleaned a couple other old pans and they always look black still. I just thought i cleaned this one more. But i seasoned it, used it, but when i wipe it with a bit of paper towel it looks dirty. Like im wiping a drill bit after drilling through steel. Someone else posted abour chrome or nickel plated cast iron.. is thst what i got? Should i be treating it different? I need to know cause its great for a couple eggs.

When you strip off the seasoning, it should be silver underneath. If the pans you were cleaning before were still black, then you weren't cleaning them thoroughly. You need to wipe it really well with water after cleaning and dry it thoroughly to get off all the metal and seasoning bits you sanded off then immediately season so it doesn't rust, which it will attempt to do in a matter of minutes.

Here is one I recently refinished:

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

When you strip off the seasoning, it should be silver underneath. If the pans you were cleaning before were still black, then you weren't cleaning them thoroughly. You need to wipe it really well with water after cleaning and dry it thoroughly to get off all the metal and seasoning bits you sanded off then immediately season so it doesn't rust, which it will attempt to do in a matter of minutes.

Here is one I recently refinished:

That explains why my wapak dutch ovens seasoning didnt last. The griswold is fine; i just just wasnt washing it out well enough and burning the little residue that remained.

Good stuff. Never go away, fgr. Youre my favorite poster.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Tonight I'll be attempting whole spatchcocked chicken in the skillet. Few minutes on stovestop at very high heat to crisp skin, then into the oven with some potatoes. I get the feeling even if it doesn't turn out perfect it will still be goddamn delicious.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Get some turnip going in there, as well, and it will be awesome.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I don't have turnips. But I was right, turned out fuckin' delicious. Next time think I'll throw some tarragon and garlic.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Roasted turnip and carrot is delicious.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I thought I was the only one who liked the soggy but delicious veggies roasted in the same CI pan as a chicken!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The wife ruined my enameled dutch oven so I want to buy a pre-seasoned cast iron version this time. I'm on the fence between several options:

Lodge L8DD3 Double Dutch Oven and Casserole with Skillet Cover, 5-Quart
- benefits are two for one, skillet + dutch oven. - cons are you can pick up the lid one handed for a quick stir
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LEXR0K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Lodge L8DOL3 Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Dutch Oven with Dual Handles, 5-Quart
http://smile.amazon.com/Lodge-L8DOL3-Pre-Seasoned-Cast-Iron-Handles/dp/B00063RWYI/ref=pd_sbs_k_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ENC7S4HK65AVCFHFW5Z

Lodge L8DO3 Pre-Seasoned Dutch Oven, 5-Quart
- this type has a single handle like a bucket
http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00006JSUF/ref=psdc_289818_t2_B00063RWZM

Heuck 33003 Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Covered Dutch Oven, Black
http://smile.amazon.com/Heuck-33003...iron+dutch+oven

King Kooker CI4S Pre-seasoned Outdoor Cast Iron Dutch Oven, 4-Quart
-con, only 4 qt
http://smile.amazon.com/King-Kooker...rds=king+kooker

Heuck is the cheapest but I'm not familiar with that brand. It also has a plastic knob on the lid.

Comments? Suggestions?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

wormil posted:

The wife ruined my enameled dutch oven

:words:

Comments? Suggestions?

sever

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

How in the world did your wife ruin an enamel dutch oven?

I'd get this one: Lodge L8DOL3 Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Dutch Oven with Dual Handles, 5-Quart
http://smile.amazon.com/Lodge-L8DOL...S4HK65AVCFHFW5Z

It's got the fewest goofy features.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would stay away from the bucket handle one unless you plan on using it in a campfire. I have it, and the handle really just gets in the way.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I really like http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JKG9M/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_9

3 qt rather than 5, but you'll probably want another enameled dutch eventually anyway I'd think.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Safety Dance posted:

I'd get this one: Lodge L8DOL3 Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Dutch Oven with Dual Handles, 5-Quart

That's the one I was leaning toward. She tried to cook something, set the stove on high and walked away. I can't get the burned whatever off the bottom and am assuming the enamel is probably cracked.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

I have this and like it quite a bit. It makes bread, beans, and roasts fine while being great for deepfry.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Safety Dance posted:

I also have this one and I love it. The 5-qt is big enough for pretty much anything you'd want to cook - I had a 3-qt at my previous house (actually the Lodge one with the skillet-lid) and it often wasn't quiiite big enough for what I wanted to cook in it or how much of it I wanted to cook. And despite it not having the handle, I took it camping and it was fine.

wormil posted:

She tried to cook something, set the stove on high and walked away. I can't get the burned whatever off the bottom and am assuming the enamel is probably cracked.

I adopted an old 30's enameled Griswold from my previous house - when I moved in, all the cookware was lovely non-stick stuff that was chipping and rusting like crazy and since I didn't want to cook on it, I dug around and found the Griswold in the way back. No one knew how long it had been there. The cooking surface is mostly blackened (polymerized "seasoning", I think), with a few giant chips in it, with iron visible. Also had a bunch of black poo poo caked on the bottom. Probably the worst condition piece of enamel cookware I've encountered, but it was still better than ingesting Teflon flakes, so I cleaned it up as best I could and I still have it and use it. At one point, my roommate's girlfriend cooked something weird on it at a too-high temp, and the rough black residue it left took ages to get off. On a similar note, my mom banned my sister from cooking tofu (I think it was tofu) on her enameled stuff because it always left this horrible residue.

I think with stuff stuck to the enamel, you just have to be patient and scrub conventionally over and over until it comes off (since you can't take a pumice stone or grinder to it like bare cast iron).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Authentic You posted:

it was still better than ingesting Teflon flakes

Teflon is biologically inert. You could eat a big bowl of teflon flakes every day.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I think enameled cast iron is fantastic and have a bigass dutch oven that's enameled that I love to use for baking bread, braising poo poo, making stews, etc...but when it comes to actual involved cooking and not just throwing a bunch of poo poo into the dutch oven and tossing it in the oven, give me my naked cast iron pan all day erry day. I think part of it is because I think the enamel is pretty and don't want to risk loving it up, either.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Safety Dance posted:

Teflon is biologically inert. You could eat a big bowl of teflon flakes every day.

So I got curious after making that post and looked it up, and yeah. Apparently it's just the fumes that come off it while you're cooking on it that are cause for concern. And those don't seem to be cancerous (unless you heat it unreasonably high) - they just make you feel sick and can kill your pet birds. I just never had non-stick stuff around when I was growing up - it was all stainless, ceramic, glass, and cast iron because mom was squicked out by cooking with non-stick and plastic, so I just followed suit. My bf and I have a couple non-stick pans (good ones and not rusty flaking ones) that I like just fine.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Authentic You posted:

I also have this one and I love it. The 5-qt is big enough for pretty much anything you'd want to cook - I had a 3-qt at my previous house (actually the Lodge one with the skillet-lid) and it often wasn't quiiite big enough for what I wanted to cook in it or how much of it I wanted to cook. And despite it not having the handle, I took it camping and it was fine.

I adopted an old 30's enameled Griswold from my previous house - when I moved in, all the cookware was lovely non-stick stuff that was chipping and rusting like crazy and since I didn't want to cook on it, I dug around and found the Griswold in the way back. No one knew how long it had been there. The cooking surface is mostly blackened (polymerized "seasoning", I think), with a few giant chips in it, with iron visible. Also had a bunch of black poo poo caked on the bottom. Probably the worst condition piece of enamel cookware I've encountered, but it was still better than ingesting Teflon flakes, so I cleaned it up as best I could and I still have it and use it. At one point, my roommate's girlfriend cooked something weird on it at a too-high temp, and the rough black residue it left took ages to get off. On a similar note, my mom banned my sister from cooking tofu (I think it was tofu) on her enameled stuff because it always left this horrible residue.

I think with stuff stuck to the enamel, you just have to be patient and scrub conventionally over and over until it comes off (since you can't take a pumice stone or grinder to it like bare cast iron).

I have scrubbed and scrubbed but you're right, I just need to keep on scrubbing. I've heard that boiling coca cola will get most of it off but haven't tried that yet. A little voice says that's a good way to get more poo poo stuck on the bottom because of all the sugar. Sometime when I get stuff stuck on the bottom of cast iron I get it really hot and pour tap cold water on it. The shock busts it loose but I hesitate doing this enamel.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Something like this might make short work of your problem. http://www.amazon.com/Nylon-Stiff-Drill-Powered-Scrub/dp/B001TR2F9M

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

wormil posted:

I have scrubbed and scrubbed but you're right, I just need to keep on scrubbing. I've heard that boiling coca cola will get most of it off but haven't tried that yet. A little voice says that's a good way to get more poo poo stuck on the bottom because of all the sugar. Sometime when I get stuff stuck on the bottom of cast iron I get it really hot and pour tap cold water on it. The shock busts it loose but I hesitate doing this enamel.

Cola sounds like a troll.

The couple times I've got stuff stuck, I'll either let some vinegar soak in it, or I'll put it on the stove on low with some water and the lid on and leave it for a couple hours.

I also read somewhere to treat it like regular cast iron, as in after washing it, heat it back up, wipe it with a touch of oil and then turn the heat off when it just starts to smoke. Haven't had an issue since, and it's been easier to clean too. Especially after spanish rice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
Cola has phosphoric acid, I've seen it or kool-aid recommended for metal cleaning for that.

Vinegar or barkeepers friend is also acid and has no risk of walking away and scorching your goony soda reduction glaze

• Locked thread