Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Cakefool posted:

Flatbed or platform container? Did they have wheels built in? If so how many, how big?

No. It's just a big flat piece of metal. The best description I can give is it's like a giant metal cafeteria tray, They drive cars on it, then attach nylon webbing on them via grommets on the edge, When I was at Fedex we used them all the time. They can slide along ball bearing mats easily. 1 person can push a car loaded on one of these easily. Skid would be the right term I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I need to collect ~50 videos that people shoot on their cell phones. I have at my disposal a website running a wordpress template. I am open to third party websites.

I have tried a couple of wordpress plugins, and they work fine with 2MB files, but 20MB files throw them, and I need to accept up to 100MB files.

Help!?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

photomikey posted:

I need to collect ~50 videos that people shoot on their cell phones. I have at my disposal a website running a wordpress template. I am open to third party websites.

I have tried a couple of wordpress plugins, and they work fine with 2MB files, but 20MB files throw them, and I need to accept up to 100MB files.

Help!?

Can you just have the videos uploaded to YouTube?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Raimundus posted:

Let's say I'm going to have an extra $10-15,000 to my name this coming year due to a promotion and hefty raise. Let's also say that I don't plan to significantly upgrade my lifestyle, aside from paying off a single tiny loan.

Where do I put this money so that it will grow? My goal is a house in my name.

Edit: I could just dump it in my shiny new 401K, but are there additional options?

Try the Newbie Personal Finance thread. Odds are, though, what you're going to want to do is max out the matching on your 401(k), and stick the rest in a savings account (which is going to be a poo poo return, but you need some liquidity if you're planning on making a down payment on a house). There are some savings accounts out there that will give you a high return on the first $X you put into it, but in general, you're going to have a lovely interest rate because you need the liquidity.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Raimundus posted:

Let's say I'm going to have an extra $10-15,000 to my name this coming year due to a promotion and hefty raise. Let's also say that I don't plan to significantly upgrade my lifestyle, aside from paying off a single tiny loan.

Edit: I could just dump it in my shiny new 401K, but are there additional options?

Do you want this house (or to spend the money in any other way) in less than five years? Put your money in the highest interest savings account you can find.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Raimundus posted:

Ask bfc.

Max out any matching your company does (free money), pay down your highest interest debts (more money saved than any investment), then you might consider a Roth ira (I believe you can borrow against a Roth ira for your first home purchase without penalty.)

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Can you just have the videos uploaded to YouTube?

This still has the appeal of being e-mailed 50 links at 50 different times. I'm sort of looking for something dropbox-y, where people can put 50 videos there one-by-one, and I can retrieve them all.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If USPS tells me that my package is being shipped "Priority 1-day" shipping, and it's sent off yesterday, should I expect it today?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Turtlicious posted:

If USPS... should I expect it today?

Nope. USPS sucks so don't expect it until it arrives.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Depends on what time of day the package was sent. I think the cutoff is around 2:00 or so?

Also USPS owns bones don't listen to the haters.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

How much data does a regular-season NFL game generate?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Programming the A/C saved like $40 a month this summer (84 during the day, rarely got above 79-80 degrees even with it off all day until 7 or 8), so I am looking for a way to cheap out this winter too.

If you have a heat pump, you aren't supposed to program it in the winter. Keeping a consistent temperature is ideal. I've heard the ideal temperature is 68 degrees. I don't know if this is for people or heat pump efficiency.

Heading into winter as a poor, does it save you any money to leave it set on a temperature lower than that, say 62-64 all the time, or does it cost more money, make no difference, or save you money?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My package showed up at the office at 9 AM, I can't go pick it up and have to wait until tomorrow. USPS can really be terrible though I understand why it is the way it is. I'm wondering if I put a hold at the office if they'll let me pick it up.

e: Nvm it'll just take 2 days longer.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 25, 2014

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

DNova posted:

How much data does a regular-season NFL game generate?

As much or as little as you want I guess. Do you just want to know who won, or do you care what the cheerleaders ate for breakfast that morning?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

stubblyhead posted:

As much or as little as you want I guess. Do you just want to know who won, or do you care what the cheerleaders ate for breakfast that morning?

Statistical data is negligible compared to the data consumed by video and still imagery, which is what I'm looking for. I'm also curious if the NFL saves every second of video from every camera, or if much it is culled soon after the game or season.

edit: If someone has knowledge of this for sports or leagues other than NFL Football, that would be neat too.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

DNova posted:

Statistical data is negligible compared to the data consumed by video and still imagery, which is what I'm looking for. I'm also curious if the NFL saves every second of video from every camera, or if much it is culled soon after the game or season.

edit: If someone has knowledge of this for sports or leagues other than NFL Football, that would be neat too.

I would be willing to bet there are 0 people on god's green earth that could even give you a reliable order of magnitude estimate. There are way too many different organizations filming, photographing, recording audio, etc. at any given sporting event to have any reasonable chance of making a guess.

Well, other than this one: a loving poo poo ton.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

DNova posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=130890 This guy I believe works in production for college sporting events...might ask him.

I'm guessing there is like one guy somewhere in the world that knows the answer to your question, though.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

DNova posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Films

quote:

NFL Films is a Mount Laurel, New Jersey-based company devoted to producing commercials, television programs, feature films, and documentaries on the National Football League, as well as other unrelated major events and awards shows. Founded as Blair Motion Pictures by Ed Sabol in 1962, and run by his son Steve Sabol until his death, it is currently owned by the NFL and produces most of its videotaped content except its live game coverage, which is handled separately by the individual networks.

NFL Films Lab is also in charge of the archiving and maintenance of the vault. Containing over 100 continuous years of football footage, the vault houses all of the film that NFL Films has shot or acquired from other sources in its entire history. Currently, NFL Films is in the process of re-transferring all of its footage into high-definition format, although the original film will always be kept as it's likely to outlast tape medium in terms of degradation.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Anyone recall the name of that operating system some lunatic built?

I'm pretty sure it was a goldmined thread but I can't find it.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Was it an OS, or just a filesystem? There's good old ReiserFS.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

armorer posted:

Was it an OS, or just a filesystem? There's good old ReiserFS.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

LosetheOS. He changed to SparrowOS and/or TempleOS at one point.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

DNova posted:

The NBA's stat website allows you to watch a video replay of pretty much every action that happened in a game:
http://on.nba.com/1CbXjB8

One of the guys who works on it occasionally posts on the forums, but I can't remember his name.

They at least keep video footage of both home and away feeds for every game for league pass too.

pylb fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 25, 2014

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

syscall girl posted:

LosetheOS. He changed to SparrowOS and/or TempleOS at one point.

That's it! Thanks.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Is there anywhere on this board to ask Italian goons to check my translation of a brief Italian letter? There's no Italian language thread in the language sub-forum and I don't want to start one just to ask this question.

Alternatively, to any fluent Italian speakers reading this post, would you be willing to take a look at this and let me know if my translation is decent (and help me out with the phrases in brackets :()? --

quote:

Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Rome, 27 March 1926

Excellency,
I am pleased to report to Your Excellency that His Majesty the King, on my proposal, has deigned to nominate you as the Commander of His Order of the Italian Crown.

While I intend to send to Your Excellency the relevant [teaching diploma] when you have returned to me, duly filled out and signed, the enclosed form, [let me join with the signs] that refer to the same honor and I welcome with pleasure the occasion to offer you the acts of my highest consideration.

{Mussolini}

To His Excellency
Giovanni Giuseppe GLENNON
Archbishop of St. Louis

That second sentence/paragraph is giving me a lot of trouble.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A final reply, USPS said expect it Tomorrow, and it came today.

I don't even know what the hell.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are there any computer programs that will help someone learn to sing?

Terec
Dec 14, 2001
Cybernetic Crumb
anyone know any good VPN products? my nephew's in Germany and would like to watch Hulu/american netflix.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

In calculus class we did a story problem on the Mean Value Theorem where a toll booth operator issued citations to drivers who went too fast on the toll road based on the time stamp on the ticket issued when they entered the road.

Do any states actually do this?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Back when I was doing freelance work for an NFL team, they actually had a guy full time in the tape library. This was maybe ten years ago. They had, if I recall, every game recorded (of all the teams) plus iso feeds of some teams. So two angles of each game. Interestingly, under NFL rules, you have to share all tape your team shoots in an actual game with the league and every other team. You can shoot practice and not share it. Every practice was shot, some from more than one angle, but not necessarily kept. This was all in actual tape... Now that everything is hard drives, I assume there is 5x as much crap.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

mlnhd posted:

In calculus class we did a story problem on the Mean Value Theorem where a toll booth operator issued citations to drivers who went too fast on the toll road based on the time stamp on the ticket issued when they entered the road.

Do any states actually do this?

Not a toll booth operator but an old boss of mine claimed to have gotten a speeding ticket when a cop asked to see his toll-receipt and the copmath = continuous speeding.

I don't know if I believe it, cop was probably pulling him over for speeding anyway, why the need to look at the toll-receipt? and this was in the early 90s, long before any cash registers, phones, laptops, watches, whatever were all in sync with the atomic clock.

Cop could've stopped at the toll booth every morning to sync his watch but that probably wouldn't hold up in court and he and his bosses had to know that. I doubt all the registers would be synced to each other either.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 26, 2014

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

What the hell is this creature?

I'm in Florida if that helps. It looks like a lobster.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

I usually go online when I want to play with myself.

Me too, but that's a different story.

I can't believe you guys were gonna let this one go.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dragyn posted:

Me too, but that's a different story.

I can't believe you guys were gonna let this one go.

:thejoke:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

What the hell is this creature?

I'm in Florida if that helps. It looks like a lobster.

Not any kind of biologist or whatever, but it looks very much like a Black Creek Crayfish to me.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I fart wicked bad whenever I eat pasta. And the cat likes to crawl on my rear end and sleep (I lie down to use the computer) so I usually end up blasting that furry bastard with a cubic metre of methane and sulphur dioxide right in the face and generally being the worst alarm clock in the world.

The question is, should I also get a dog?

How do I enjoy pasta without basically turning into a Bile Demon?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

WarpedNaba posted:

I fart wicked bad whenever I eat pasta. And the cat likes to crawl on my rear end and sleep (I lie down to use the computer) so I usually end up blasting that furry bastard with a cubic metre of methane and sulphur dioxide right in the face and generally being the worst alarm clock in the world.

The question is, should I also get a dog?

How do I enjoy pasta without basically turning into a Bile Demon?

How much fibre are you getting generally? Suddenly increasing your intake can do that because your inside bits aren't used to dealing with it.

Also, get a a dog.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Good amount of fruit and veg a day, prob 3-4 servings each. But my diet is pretty lacking in cereals, I will admit.

e: Also I have a one-room apartment in Korea. No space for a dog, I gotta take my cat out on a leash instead.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Could be that, could be intolerance, could be something else.

Try to bump your dietary fibre intake up on non-pasta days (if you get psyllium husks you can poop without needing to wipe) and see if that helps.

Asafoetida is often added to bean dishes and is apocryphally meant to reduce gas production but I don't know if/how that works, or if you could find it in Korea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Oooh, the psyllium husks looks like a good idea. I'll check it out, thanks!

I'll probably still fart in the face of my cat, though. Bastard claws my glutes. Sweet revenge.