Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Finished my first play-through as a KE two days back. Liked the game, wasn't crazy about the KE specialization, as mentioned in this thread.

Now I'm thinking of starting a second play-through next week and I'm wondering if it would be a huge miserable mistake to play as a mage AGAIN but specializing toward rift magic. Is there anyone in this thread whose beaten the game as a rift mage? How were dragon fights? Did you feel too squishy? Do you advise it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
How much of the hinterlands quests should I try and complete? I'm completely overwhelmed by the amount of sidequests here, and I really don't know if it's worth doing them all.

Did you guys do a few and move on? Do all of them? Or simply do the story quests?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

CrusherEAGLE posted:

How much of the hinterlands quests should I try and complete? I'm completely overwhelmed by the amount of sidequests here, and I really don't know if it's worth doing them all.

Did you guys do a few and move on? Do all of them? Or simply do the story quests?

Move on from the Hinterlands. It makes the game better.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Dorkopotamis posted:

Finished my first play-through as a KE two days back. Liked the game, wasn't crazy about the KE specialization, as mentioned in this thread.

Now I'm thinking of starting a second play-through next week and I'm wondering if it would be a huge miserable mistake to play as a mage AGAIN but specializing toward rift magic. Is there anyone in this thread whose beaten the game as a rift mage? How were dragon fights? Did you feel too squishy? Do you advise it?

Play as Solas for a bit. It's like a super crowd-control spec. Veil Strike is incredibly satisfying to use even if it doesn't do damage. It's just a "You all get knocked down now" button.

edit: Stonefist is loving awesome too.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 25, 2014

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

HIJK posted:

Evidence of executive meddling in my opinion.

It's more of a gaiden game than anything else. I like it because it's a character driven piece now placed between two gigantic plots but no one liked it. And its a shame, Bioware won't try that kind of thing again.

I'm not so sure of that, ME2 had a similar structure and is largely considered to be the best game in the series. The difference, I think, is that DA2 was just a rushed mess from the getgo and 18 months is not a long enough development cycle to put out a Bioware game. Also, it was just not very good.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

CrusherEAGLE posted:

I did every single one I was capable of doing before I moved on, but I'm a sucker for that kind of thing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Move on from the Hinterlands, if you wish. Just know those golden exclamation points and pyramids are silently judging your noob rear end from half a world away.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine

Levantine posted:

I did every single one I was capable of doing before I moved on, but I'm a sucker for that kind of thing.

Me too. Did that make you overleveled/ruin the rest of the game for you?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Me too. Did that make you overleveled/ruin the rest of the game for you?

No, doing that just barely squeaked me over level 10 which is decent for the final story mission of Act 1. I touched on the desert area and the fallow mire, but I suspect if I'd really explored them too I'd have been overlevelled.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Harrow posted:

What material did you use to do that Guard-generating thing? Might be fun to try out on a Knight Enchanter, as if I'm not immortal enough already.

it went into the masterworks slot; it was a fade-touched something or other. Slightly related, I loving hate the stupid 20% masterworks success bullshit. let me craft it or not, none of this will it/won't it bullshit.

It's on my mage, but putting it onto a rogue's hat or something would make your rogue loving hardcore because I don't think they have many guard generating things.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Drifter posted:

it went into the masterworks slot; it was a fade-touched something or other. Slightly related, I loving hate the stupid 20% masterworks success bullshit. let me craft it or not, none of this will it/won't it bullshit.

Yeah, it's just going to make me savescum it if I fail. The items are rare enough that the % feels really tacked on.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dorkopotamis posted:

Play as someone else, but bring Solas along for a few fights to check it out. Make your main dude a completely different playstyle - otherwise you're kinda wasting a playthrough with the reactions (albeit mostly minor) it brings.

edit: Cassandra just spoke to Blackwall while I was adventuring!!!!! Oh MAN! One time in two hours!

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Will my Companions ever get along?

I'm travelling with Blackwall + Dorian + Vivienne and all the banter between them is just non-stop passive aggressive snarky insults, in all three directions at that.

Why can't we just get along, you guys? :ohdear:

Dorian and Vivienne may snark at each other but I don't think they hate each other. Blackwall however distrusts Vivienne because she's a power-hungry manipulator, and she fully agrees with him.

Not paired up Blackwall and Dorian yet. Shall have to get on that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cythereal posted:

I don't care about spoilers. :v: If there's a way for elves to conquer Orlais, my elf Inquisitor is going to take it.

Same. Elf supremacy! Or not, it's Dragon Age. :v:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I think it was in this thread someone was wanting to Play the previous Dragon Ages. Well, Dragon Age 1 is $5 again on Origin.

https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/deals/pages/blackfridaysale-seventyfive

Along with the first two Mass Effects and the Witcher 2 all for $5 dollars. I loving LOVED the Witcher 2's systems, and it was a loving great story as well. I don't think Mass Effect 1 holds up very well in terms of it being a repetitive slog outside of combat, but ME2 is still great.

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010
Isn't that only with the critical success masterwork items though? I find those to not be really worth it compared to the other effects (fade-touched), but that really depends on your build. The guard on hit is always guaranteed if you put it on a slot. I have two on daggers for a tempest spinning blades build.

A big tempest bug (it completely breaks the game): when using flask of fire, you don't spend focus to use the focus ability. Spam tier-3 thousand cuts all day everyday. .

Deadlock
Oct 10, 2005
Dont know if its been covered somewhere else but, I did a really stupid thing and used the wrong username when I signed into origin on PS4. No matter what I do I cant't seem to reset it. Anyone know of a work around?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Levantine posted:

Yeah, it's just going to make me savescum it if I fail. The items are rare enough that the % feels really tacked on.

I've had no success actually savescumming those and theres a lot of speculation on the bioware forums that they somehow seed them to prevent it.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Cool I finally get a proper robe and then I sync to cloud and my save progress is like 2 hours behind, I have no idea if I'll get it again, and the game keeps crashing after and during cut scenes making it really hard for me to progress.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Grondoth posted:

Cool I finally get a proper robe and then I sync to cloud and my save progress is like 2 hours behind, I have no idea if I'll get it again, and the game keeps crashing after and during cut scenes making it really hard for me to progress.

Craft a coat and use a bloodstone so you'll be a badass santa claus.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Drifter posted:

Craft a coat and use a bloodstone so you'll be a badass santa claus.

Is that a recipe somewhere? I'd love to have a guarantee to get this model.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I told Cole to gently caress off as soon as I could. What a weird and dumb idea for a party member.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

omg chael crash posted:

I told Cole to gently caress off as soon as I could. What a weird and dumb idea for a party member.

He has some interesting perspectives, but is it weird to say that the hat just annoys the hell out of me?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Yeah, Cole might actually be a pretty OK companion but his hat is just so loving stupid that I don't want to talk to him.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kainser posted:

Yeah, Cole might actually be a pretty OK companion but his hat is just so loving stupid that I don't want to talk to him.

Turn off helmets, problem solved.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
I don't see people saying much about the multiplayer, is there a separate thread I missed?
Either way, has anyone found a decent strategy to beat the envy demon commander that isn't just "Hope you brought a keeper!"? The other stuff is easy enough but that thing is just unfair. Specifically in the multiplayer.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Cythereal posted:

Turn off helmets, problem solved.

He always has that poo poo on when you talk to him in skyhold though, no avoiding it.

Also Cole looks *exactly* like this dumb stoner I know so he weirds me out.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Restarted the game as a mage and I'm enjoying it much more, even though I should probably respec out of barrier and dispel while Solas is in my group. I'm playing normal so I probably won't need to micro manage everyone's abilities anyway.

Gameplay aside, being a mage is just fantastic for the storyline. Most people hate me, and even though I'm taking my usual good-guy-but-not-totally-trusting-and-optimistic approach to morality in RPGs, threatening to obliterate anyone who threatens my group is amazing. :allears:

I'm kinda embarrassed to say I'm enjoying this after all the poo poo I gave Bioware for DA2 and ME3.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
e; double post.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I like Cole but I never put him in my party since I couldn't bring myself to force that poor gentle soul to go out and stab people with knives. :smith:

Re: Party banter: Putting all the mages together in one party is hugely entertaining, since Solas, Dorian, and Vivienne all have... um... differences of opinion about magic.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Grondoth posted:

That looks like the Orlesian Army Battlemage Armor, which you can buy a schematic for in Val Royeaux.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rincewind posted:

I like Cole but I never put him in my party since I couldn't bring myself to force that poor gentle soul to go out and stab people with knives. :smith:

Oh but you see, he's helping them. :unsmigghh:

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Any dagger rogues beat the dragons yet? How was that fight? Did you die (a lot)?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I've only just beaten the Haven Siege but Cole's dumb hat is amazing and immediately left a good impression on me.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Hi, anyone know what's up with the "You have lost your connection to the session" error when trying to do matchmaking in multiplayer? I've tried 25 times and out of those I've only ever been able to join a match once. I'd really like to play it but I can't find a clear answer anywhere on if it's happening to a lot of people or few, and why.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Tokubetsu posted:

Any dagger rogues beat the dragons yet? How was that fight? Did you die (a lot)?

Beat the one in Crestwood. Barely died at all thanks to health regen potions and just staying to the side of it, not behind or in front of it. Cassandra tanked it like a champion. I don't think her guard ever dropped below about 1/3rd.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Harrow posted:

That looks like the Orlesian Army Battlemage Armor, which you can buy a schematic for in Val Royeaux.

Excellent. Thank you. Now I'm not so devastated I lost it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rincewind posted:

Re: Party banter: Putting all the mages together in one party is hugely entertaining, since Solas, Dorian, and Vivienne all have... um... differences of opinion about magic.

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

Oh but you see, he's helping them. :unsmigghh:

In Asunder, stabbing miserable people was his main idea of "helping". It took several people telling him otherwise to get him to figure out other options.

Cole's severely screwed up for a confused Compassion spirit and has the mentality of a maladjusted preschooler.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rosalind posted:

Beat the one in Crestwood. Barely died at all thanks to health regen potions and just staying to the side of it, not behind or in front of it. Cassandra tanked it like a champion. I don't think her guard ever dropped below about 1/3rd.

Yeah, just micromanage the opening moments of the battle so your tank gets lots of Guard. Bee Grenades and Focus abilities really help too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Grondoth posted:

You won't be ALL read, but there would be lots of red in your armor if you use a red colored stone, yeah. It is more pronounced with heavier armors, but you'll get some red in a coat. It won't be as Santa Clausy as you'd like, but eh.

• Locked thread