Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
What does centstar look like these days, anyway? Is it still Ultramarines for doctrines and Tigurius?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

What does centstar look like these days, anyway? Is it still Ultramarines for doctrines and Tigurius?

Yup. There were three at Renegade. Something like Tiggy, scouts, 6 centurions, with the GK force org to get in a L3 libby, draigo, a couple dreadknights and then troops (usually termies), then whatever support to play with in the last couple hundred points.

Badgersmasher
Dec 31, 2013
So a question regarding a list I'm planning on running.

I'm going to be joining a 40k escalation league in January and I've decided now would be a perfect time to start a Tzeentch themed daemons list. Looks pretty good to me but I thought that I'd get some input from people who I won't be playing against. League starts at 500 points and will be increasing @ 250 point interval until we hit 2000 in 2 week rounds.

My current list:

The Changeling

Pink Horrors of Tzeentch x10
Blasted Standard

Pink Horrors of Tzeentch x10
Blasted Standard

Flamers x3
Pyrocaster w/ lesser reward

Burning Chariot of Tzeentch w/ Greater Reward.

Thoughts on the list and what I should prioritize as I increase in points? It is my intention to run Tzeentch daemons only as this is the theme I like.

Thanks for the insight.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Naramyth posted:

Yup. There were three at Renegade. Something like Tiggy, scouts, 6 centurions, with the GK force org to get in a L3 libby, draigo, a couple dreadknights and then troops (usually termies), then whatever support to play with in the last couple hundred points.

I'm not very familiar with the Grey Knights codex, what does Draigo bring to this? A 3+ invulnerable save? This sounds funny as hell though, do you just cast Invisibility and delete units from the board with all your Grav-Gun shots?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Draigo has Gate.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
My concern is that when Eldar inevitably do get an update, they'll take them to 5th edition status where they were absolute garbage.

Rangers were pretty cool then though.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

panascope posted:

I'm not very familiar with the Grey Knights codex, what does Draigo bring to this? A 3+ invulnerable save? This sounds funny as hell though, do you just cast Invisibility and delete units from the board with all your Grav-Gun shots?

Draigo gets Gate of Infinity automatically. And yeah, you teleport around, jumping out of combat, and delete things off the table.

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 25, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Boon posted:

My concern is that when Eldar inevitably do get an update, they'll take them to 5th edition status where they were absolute garbage.

Such is the way of the workshop. hail satan

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Yeah that was me. I just spoke with the guy about putting in another big order- he's working on re-designing the tracks using a new sprue and material. I got a test batch and they are way way cleaner and easier to work with than the old ones. Sadly, it will be 2-3 months before the Rhino/Chimera size hits his store :(

Oh well, thanks for the info. I guess I can wait a couple of months. :smith: It's not like I need this army to be ready right away. I can just proxy with rhinos from my Dark Angels if need be. Though I probably won't even be able to get a game in for a while between work and the holidays coming up. At least I have other stuff I can tinker with.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Cataphract posted:

My flgs had four copies of leviathan in stock! Yay!

We thought we were only going to get 5 copies total. We ended up getting an extra 17 :v:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Pics from Renegade 2014.

http://imgur.com/a/h1yfg

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
What is up with dakka and using loving syllogisms to try to explain rules?

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Naramyth posted:

Pics from Renegade 2014.

I was about to complain about too few Orks then I got to the good stuff. There were quite a few trukks. I have no idea how anyone gets those to work. Mine end up exploding, killing most of the occupants.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

What is up with dakka and using loving syllogisms to try to explain rules?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Raphus C posted:

I was about to complain about too few Orks then I got to the good stuff. There were quite a few trukks. I have no idea how anyone gets those to work. Mine end up exploding, killing most of the occupants.

There were 7 or 8 ork players. And the trucks didn't work. My first game was against trucks, a wagon, the walker thing, and some lootas. The air is bullets put him down fast.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

krushgroove posted:

This is interesting...the company that makes the molds (or possibly also does the injection molding?) for Dropzone Commander also seems to have done some work on the Baneblade model: http://www.cmamoldformltd.co.uk/gallery2.html

That "Baneblade" panel is actually from Forgeworld's Stormsword, Stormblade, and Shadowswrod "ARKURIAN PATTERN" kits. CMA Moldform seem to really know their casting, it looks like they did the metal and resin casting for Dropzone Commander (dunno about the injection mold plastic though), stuff for Forgeworld, and they made the clear bubble spacesuit helmets for the Prometheus movie a few years ago.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Naramyth posted:

Pics from Renegade 2014.

This is great.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I would guess that 9 Hornet/5 Wave Serpent guy won... I'm prepared to be surprised.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Slimnoid posted:

This is great.
Are those crabs?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Thanks guys. Looking at those amazing models on an amazing board motivates me to get my 30k hams done! That IW player had a ton of armor!

SRM posted:

I guess I got the old ones, but they were a pain in the butt to fit on my Land Raider. A lot of shaving and filing beyond just removing flash was involved, and parts of them are still kinda crooked and ramshackle. That being said, they do look awesome for the most part.

Yes. All of mine were the old ones and they had a ton of filing + cleaning required. The new ones are super crisp and with no flash. They came on sprues almost like injection molded plastic. Really good quality... so I have no problem with the wait :)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Froghammer posted:

Are those crabs?

I have no idea what any of those are supposed to be but it's clearly The Best Chaos Army of 2014.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Also god-drat, 3/4s of those armies look brutal to play against

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

Also god-drat, 3/4s of those armies look brutal to play against
I got physically ill looking at all those cookie cutter tournament armies; there were some really neat ones in there, but most of them were just minmaxed malarkey and weird allied formations, like the flying circus Nid army backed up by the Stormtalon and Stormraven formation. I mean, it's obviously a super competitive tournament so that's what you're gonna see, but that's definitely not my brand of ham. That deep sea army definitely takes the cake for coolest army there though, I'd love to see more pictures of it.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

SRM posted:

I got physically ill looking at all those cookie cutter tournament armies; there were some really neat ones in there, but most of them were just minmaxed malarkey and weird allied formations, like the flying circus Nid army backed up by the Stormtalon and Stormraven formation. I mean, it's obviously a super competitive tournament so that's what you're gonna see, but that's definitely not my brand of ham. That deep sea army definitely takes the cake for coolest army there though, I'd love to see more pictures of it.

That nid air/SM formation is one of my teammates. He and I made top 8, and my buddy playing 10 fliers (5 SM stormtalons from the Tyranid War Vets formation with 3 vendettas and 2 avengers) won the RTT. Go Warhogs. :frogc00l:

Boon posted:

I would guess that 9 Hornet/5 Wave Serpent guy won... I'm prepared to be surprised.

Nope. I posted the top 8. He didn't even do well in the day two RTT.

And I never did get a picture of my army other then my first game setup. Playing mechwarrior all weekend was fun as hell. :getin:

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 25, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
So yeah, this confirms that new bases are happening, and we've got a name for the new plastic captain, and the Broodlord is apparently a special character of some kind too:

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Tiggy was mentioned, but another really common version these days uses Sevrin Loth, the Red Scorpions named psyker from Forge World, who can select (not roll) three psychic powers from either the Telepathy, Biomancy, or Divination discipline. Being guaranteed Invisibility is pretty dang good, and then a GK Librarian can roll on Divination (to get Prescience and ideally Perfect Timing) with Draigo casting Gate.

It's definitely an obnoxious list, but it's a ton of points sunk into a single unit and when things to bad for it, they go bad really quickly- if it gets Seized on, fails Invis/Gate for a turn, takes a bad Perils, etc, the army can implode almost instantly. It also struggles to deal with MSU-type armies that field more targets than it can effectively handle, and things like Green Tide can give it fits by virtue of simply having too many models for it to kill.

Badgersmasher posted:

So a question regarding a list I'm planning on running.

I'm going to be joining a 40k escalation league in January and I've decided now would be a perfect time to start a Tzeentch themed daemons list. Looks pretty good to me but I thought that I'd get some input from people who I won't be playing against. League starts at 500 points and will be increasing @ 250 point interval until we hit 2000 in 2 week rounds.

*snip*

Thoughts on the list and what I should prioritize as I increase in points? It is my intention to run Tzeentch daemons only as this is the theme I like.

Thanks for the insight.

Tzeentch Daemons can actually be a pretty strong list, all things considered- the question is, how good do you want to make your army? As it stands right now, your list is pretty weak and you're going to have a lot of trouble with many things, because you just don't have many solutions. In terms of some "quick fixes" to the list:

-The Changeling is basically much just worse than a Herald. He's got a cool schtick, but he's written for Fantasy, where everything is about stats and melee combat; in 40K he's pretty balls. Typical Herald builds would be ML3, Exalted Gift, possibly Exalted Locus if you're feeling sassy, Disc optional.

-Blasted Standard isn't going to help you a lot (although the basic Icon is certainly worth considering.) You definitely want to try and get 11 bodies in a Horror squad for the extra Warp Charge. Iridiscent Horror is an okay upgrade just for the ability to eat a lovely result from the Warp Storm table.

-Flamers are acceptable, if not great, but the Pyrocaster does nothing for them. +1BS on a unit that doesn't roll to hit is silly.

-The Chariot is actually pretty decent now (you'll almost always want to hide it out of LoS or Deep Strike it to start), but the Rewards won't help you much.

In terms of adding options later, an Aegis Defense Line is actually really nice for Tzeentch (Go to Ground for a 2+ rerollable cover save, option of buying a Skyfire gun or way to reroll reserves.) Allying in CSM or Renegades Tzentch units is a pretty acceptable plan in most ways. Screamers, Souls Grinders, Daemon Princes, and Lords of Change are all pretty fine units, as is Fateweaver (controlling the Warp Storm table is huge.) Also, be sure to check the FAQs for Daemons- they add an entirely new unit to the codex and significantly change several of your units, including Fatey and the Chariot.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
The brood lord's little hands makes it look like he's trying to ride a bicycle :allears:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

So yeah, this confirms that new bases are happening, and we've got a name for the new plastic captain, and the Broodlord is apparently a special character of some kind too:

Holy poo poo, the box is only $125? That's less than the cost of the Tyranids alone. And that's not even counting the new broodlord. :shepspends:

Mango Polo posted:

The brood lord's little hands makes it look like he's trying to ride a bicycle :allears:
I can't unsee this.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It's the same price as Stormclaw, and also probably going to sell out in like 30 seconds. I like that GW's putting out campaign boxes, I just wish they weren't so limited.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Renegade was a blast. I made top sixteen, but lost the top eight qualifier. I feel I did pretty well considering it was only my third tournament ever. Unbelievably, in seven games I didn't play against any knights.

One thing that became really clear to me during the tournament (from seeing the results of other games as well as my own) was this: formations should have point costs. The benefits you gain can be enormous, and it should cost you to run them.

On a happy note, my FLGS called me to let me know a shield of baal book came in and they asked if I wanted it. Then, an hour later I win a gift certificate to that very store in the Renegade raffle. It's a cool book. The fluff book has some great art and story in it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
So what are the new bases for? I'm just about done with my 23 marines I've spent half a year on and will by mighty pissed if I have to rebase all of these bastards.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
why does anyone think they'll have to rebase anything

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I genuinely don't understand why there are such limited runs of the new end times kits and these campaign boxes? People are ejaculating money over these things, if GW were any sort of a normal business you wouldn't ever see people weeping about how they didn't get a box.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

So what are the new bases for? I'm just about done with my 23 marines I've spent half a year on and will by mighty pissed if I have to rebase all of these bastards.
I think they're just for bulkier troops. I could see Nobz getting them too, since they're really spilling over those 25mm bases. Even so, I still run Terminators on 25mm bases because those are what they were supplied with, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
All I know is that unless Genestealers get a rule update, I have zero interest in that box.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lord Twisted posted:

I genuinely don't understand why there are such limited runs of the new end times kits and these campaign boxes? People are ejaculating money over these things, if GW were any sort of a normal business you wouldn't ever see people weeping about how they didn't get a box.

The end times books have just started to get softback reprints.

Lord Thrust
Jan 18, 2013

If you build a man a fire he'll be warm for a night.
If you set a man on fire he'll be warm for the rest of his short, painful life.
This new box comes with a softcover rulebook too, right? Would some of you hams want to buy the nids off me if I got my hands on one for the book? I think I have an angle on a secret place where the boxes don't sell off the shelves immediately!

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Master Twig posted:

All I know is that unless Genestealers get a rule update, I have zero interest in that box.
Zoans did, so there's at least little hope

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
It seems unlikely that the gaping and fundamental problems that have plagued Genestealers for three editions running now are going to get fixed by some minor errata buried inside a new book. GW likes to think of I6 Rending attacks as The Best Thing Ever in melee, when the reality is that they're actually quite mediocre even against regular Marines- Rends are just too unreliable to always do what you need, and with such a lovely armor save you are basically one bad roll away from the whole unit panicking like idiots and running away from the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I wouldn't say 3 editions, since Genestealers were amazing in 5th. A points drop, along with gaining Infiltrate without having to pay points for Scuttlers meant that if the enemy saw you with so much as a single brood, they'd stay the hell away from the sides of the table. It was great for encouraging them to bunch up for blasts.

I loved Genestealers in 5th ed, but they are not equivalent to a Tactical Marine at all under the current rules, with all the anti-melee rules in 6th/7th.

• Locked thread