Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

PantsBandit posted:

Yoshi's Wooly World is a terrible stage.

Naw it's just a kinda not great stage.

Pyrosphere is a terrible stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

It's going to be a little funny but mostly really depressing when the pros start getting into Smash 4 and ban all the stages.

You can play on Battlefield, Final Destination, Kongo 64, Smashville, Town and City, and Duck Hunt.

Pilotwings would probably ok.

Aren't halberd and delfino counterpick too?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Pilotwings would probably ok.

Aren't halberd and delfino counterpick too?

I expect they'd ban Pilotwings for the same reason they generally ban Lylat, and that's because the tilting just fucks up a lot of characters.

And I guess I don't remember if Delfino and Halberd were viable counter picks. I never saw it, but I'm not the expert.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I don't think Lylat has ever been banned. It's definitely been a counter-pick, though.

I recall Halberd and Delfino Plaza being counter-picks, with Delfino only getting banned later on simply because Meta Knight was just so good on it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
What the heck? I'm almost positive Lylat was banned at some point.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What the gently caress is a counter pick?

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

RyokoTK posted:

What the heck? I'm almost positive Lylat was banned at some point.

It might have been in Project M, simply because there were enough viable stages as is and they didn't see a need for it, but PM players are weird.

greatn posted:

In tournament play, after a player loses a match, they choose the next stage that gets played. Counterpick stages are stages that aren't allowed for the first match of a set (barring some sort of gentlemen's agreement) but can be chosen for any other game.

Yaya fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 25, 2014

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
No, Lylat was never banned. There was nothing to justify banning it, and anyone who tried to say "but the stage tilts and fucks up my character's recovery!" was considered a whiner even by tournament-player standards. Not even Meta Knight had an overpowering presence on Lylat compared to, say, Delfino or Halberd.

greatn posted:

A tournament has two stage lists: neutrals and counter pics. You play the first game on a neutral stage (FD or Battlefield or Smashville, whatever). If you lose your first match, you can take your opponent to a stage that benefits you or hinders them in some way (for example, taking Ganondorf to Wooly World to take advantage of his poor recovery). The second one is a counter pick.

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 25, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

greatn posted:

It's a stage that's not allowed for the first match (in say, a best of three) but is legal afterward. Generally I think they favor certain characters or playstyles a little more so you can choose it as a counter to your opponent's advantages.

Maple Leaf posted:

No, Lylat was never banned. There was nothing to justify banning it, and anyone who tried to say "but the stage tilts and fucks up my character's recovery!" was considered a whiner even by tournament-player standards. Not even Meta Knight had an overpowering presence on Lylat compared to, say, Delfino or Halberd.

Consider me educated, then.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

gently caress anyone who wants to ban a stage

e: ban every stage except pacman world

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Cool concept, but is any stage, even Battlefield, truly neutral?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

e: ban every stage except pacman world

Counterpickpoint: gently caress you

E: how likely is the Kalos stage to get banned? I really like that one a lot. I assume the stage hazards are too much for it to be legal?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Very likely, I'd expect. A whole bunch of hazards and the metal armor stuff in the steel transformations would probably rule it right out.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

greatn posted:

Cool concept, but is any stage, even Battlefield, truly neutral?

No, but what can you do? Smashville was considered the neutral stage for Brawl because it was mostly FD but then it was Battlefield when you wanted/needed it to be.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Counterpickpoint: gently caress you

E: how likely is the Kalos stage to get banned? I really like that one a lot. I assume the stage hazards are too much for it to be legal?

Not a snowball's chance in hell.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

RyokoTK posted:

It's going to be a little funny but mostly really depressing when the pros start getting into Smash 4 and ban all the stages.

You can play on Battlefield, Final Destination, Kongo 64, Smashville, Town and City, and Duck Hunt.
I'm surprised they didn't include a stage hazards/transitions toggle. I know a lot of people would rather play on a Wily Castle with no Yellow Devil, and it'd be nice to just be able to play Castle Siege without the floor breaking or to pick one version of a Pokemon level and stick with it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kalos would probably get banned for the two sword walls being constant walls of pain.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Crotch posted:

I'm surprised they didn't include a stage hazards/transitions toggle.

This is honestly what I thought Omega Mode was going to be. Then it just turned out to Final Destinationalize everything. :effort:

If I wanted to play on FD, I'd do that. If I could play on Mushroom Kingdom U without Nabbit spawning, I'd be happy as a clam.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

Kalos would probably get banned for the two sword walls being constant walls of pain.

Sword walls, flame pillars, dragon lasers, water slides/pits, the speed at which the platforms/swords fly off the screen... As much as I like the Kalos stage it has virtually no chance of being tournament-legal.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

The Crotch posted:

I'm surprised they didn't include a stage hazards/transitions toggle. I know a lot of people would rather play on a Wily Castle with no Yellow Devil, and it'd be nice to just be able to play Castle Siege without the floor breaking or to pick one version of a Pokemon level and stick with it.

If anything I wish Dr. Wily's castle had more stuff. As-is, a flat stage with the Devil is kinda lame

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Calico Heart posted:

If anything I wish Dr. Wily's castle had more stuff. As-is, a flat stage with the Devil is kinda lame

Yea the Mecha Dragon should show up too.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Calico Heart posted:

Various platforms for the stages would be good I think. Like the ugly face boxes from the Air Man stage or the blocks that disappear then reappear from... Fire Man's? stage. The Yellow Devil is just too in the way. Nabbit doesn't bother me too much, except that CPU players, no matter the level, can't seem to escape his bag if they're caught

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I spent today doing all the event stages I could (up to the point where I couldn't progress because I'm still missing a few characters) and I think for the most part the event stages themselves are pretty good. Most of them are quite fun with enjoyable gimmicks. I like the ones like Jigglypuff putting the naughty kids to sleep.

I guess what's really obnoxious about them is that some of the reward requirements are ridiculous. I've given up on anything that requires me to completely avoid damage and a lot of the ones with short time requirements are almost as infuriating. That's the element I wish they'd been a bit more creative with.

And then of course there's Kirby's Crazy Appetite. gently caress that.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
I've found that equipping custom parts makes a lot of the tougher challenges easier, namely stacking power like crazy to get through strict time limits.

I did Kirby's Crazy Appetite on Hard without customs somehow but I imagine that stacking speed would make it more bearable since you could get to the chests and food faster. Still, that's one of the toughest, so good luck if you want all the challenges.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I somehow got the Kirby challenge (with the reward) on the first try, but man, gently caress the Meta Knight vs Marth challenge. Stop hiding behind the princesses, god dammit!

The Crotch fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 26, 2014

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Truxton posted:

I've found that equipping custom parts makes a lot of the tougher challenges easier, namely stacking power like crazy to get through strict time limits.

I did Kirby's Crazy Appetite on Hard without customs somehow but I imagine that stacking speed would make it more bearable since you could get to the chests and food faster. Still, that's one of the toughest, so good luck if you want all the challenges.

You can't use a custom Kirby for Kirby's Crazy Appetite.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
My order for a second Gamecube controller adapter is in. How much should I toss this motherfucker up on ebay for?

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

The Crotch posted:

I somehow got the Kirby challenge (with the reward) on the first try, but man, gently caress the Meta Knight vs Marth challenge. Stop hiding behind the princesses, god dammit!

It doesn't help that even if you throw nearly 200 power on Meta Knight, Marth acts like he's made of metal. On top of that, he loves to spotdodge, PShield, and Counter any chance he gets. That one was almost as bad the the final event.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I did the final event on hard abusing aether on the ledges. I'll probably never beat loving Meta Knight's event on hard.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Calaveron posted:

If you ever find gear labelled "Speed Crasher" you equip it. You build your character to be a speedster and you equip it the gently caress now. You're welcome.

It's perfect for Special Orders horde battles.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

RyokoTK posted:

Why is it that people complaining about competitive players are 10x whinier than the pro players themselves?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think walk offs will be allowed again because chain grabs are gone. But every game in competitive tournaments bans certain characters and stages. Its purely for balance issues, not because they hate fun or something.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Phone posted:

My order for a second Gamecube controller adapter is in. How much should I toss this motherfucker up on ebay for?

Current prices on eBay are going between $65-$90.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

My Samus Amiibo has learned some weird behavior. It will stay at the edge of a stage spamming projectiles at me and if I get close will dodge roll and race to the other side until a decent item spawns. Then it'll book it to the item trying to get it before me to use

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

My Samus Amiibo has learned some weird behavior. It will stay at the edge of a stage spamming projectiles at me and if I get close will dodge roll and race to the other side until a decent item spawns. Then it'll book it to the item trying to get it before me to use

Sounds like a competitive player to me!!!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Sire Oblivion posted:

Current prices on eBay are going between $65-$90.

:catstare: I guess I'll put it up in SA mart or something. Holy poo poo.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I was gravitating towards Dedede today so I tried some of the tips for him posted in this thread and Dedede loving owns that's all.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Kaubocks posted:

I was gravitating towards Dedede today so I tried some of the tips for him posted in this thread and Dedede loving owns that's all.

Landing a full-charge forward smash or rocket hammer is probably the best feeling in the world, moreso when you cream multiple people with it.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Anyone got any tips for getting good with Dedede. I normally perfer fast characters but the King is too Perfect for me not to learn. Other than smacking Gordos at people and pressing crouch what should I be doing?

I didn't see anyone throw this tip out there, so have one more: if you can reliably grab your opponent, down throw > short hop > forward air. Nails 'em up to about 50%, I wanna say. Never actually watched the numbers, I just kinda switch to side throws once the down throw starts bouncing them too high. If you're good at mid-air adjustments, you might be able to switch to an up air instead when they do start bouncing higher. I'm not so great at the adjusting, myself.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Anyone got any tips for getting good with Dedede. I normally perfer fast characters but the King is too Perfect for me not to learn. Other than smacking Gordos at people and pressing crouch what should I be doing?

I'm not sure how many of these have been said already but I've been gone all day and felt like throwing in my two cents:

Throw Gordos, even at point blank. In fact, point blank lets you hit the person with both the Gordo and your hammer for an easy 24%.

Throw Gordos when recovering. I like to use a couple jumps then clear my landing trajectory with my pal, Big G, to discourage anyone who's trying to give chase or wait for my return.

You can tilt up while throwing Gordos to keep them close to you or down to make them go only midrange. The closer they stay to you the higher they bounce as well.

Inhaling projectiles is risky because Dedede's a slow eater, but inhaling your opponents is a great idea. Everyone has a counter any more but they can't counter being swallowed. You can also spit people off ledges to put them on the defensive which works great against characters too fast for a big, fat penguin.

You can jump while charging Dedede's Down+B. I can't count how many people I've taught that the hard way.

Dedede's forward smash is one of the most powerful things in this entire game. It's slow but it wrecks shop. Pro-tip: Inhaling people and just spitting them out will make them want to naturally gravitate back towards you... and your hammer.

You can cancel your Up+B by pressing up at any point but you'll still have landing lag. Instead, cancel and aim for a ledge for the invincibility. You can also cancel after sitting on an airborne opponent, spiking them into the abyss and still landing on a ledge safely. Just don't ever cancel right above the ground or you'll faceplant for several extremely vulnerable seconds.

As mentioned above, your down throw can be comboed into your forward air very easily.

Dedede's forward tilt has massive reach. I'm not 100%, but I think it can even stop Ike's charge without it hitting you.

Your up air has big reach and shoots people extremely far. It's a really good kill move with a hitbox well above your hurtbox.

Most importantly, always crouch at the end of battle, giving the camera your best bedroom eyes.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
God drat, Ness is strong on VG Boot Camp.

• Locked thread