Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

theflyingorc posted:

hope they get this person

They did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

final2percent posted:

Is it conclusive that the dude in the convenience store video was Michael Brown, and not just someone who kind of resembles him? I can't tell from the footage, and many are assuming this to be a fact.

lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

30.5 Days posted:

Also WORST FORUMS GUY is literally just trolling ya'll are dumb.

Gee what gave it away, the "N*GGER AIDS" in his avatar?

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

30.5 Days posted:

So you're saying that the prosecution's strategy at the grand jury was to exonerate the defendant.

He presented more evidence than you normally would, and let the facts speak for themselves. That is very different than actively advocating for the defendant.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

30.5 Days posted:

So you're saying that the prosecution's strategy at the grand jury was to exonerate the defendant.

I can't read minds but zero cross examination on Wilson's version of events and the press conference where he spiked the ball and went HAM on the town and media didn't exactly strike me as someone who was real sad that they just failed at their job.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Narciss posted:

He presented more evidence than you normally would, and let the facts speak for themselves. That is very different than actively advocating for the defendant.

Actually, since his job was to present as much incriminating evidence as possible, presenting exculpatory evidence for reasons unrelated to his job is pretty much just advocating for the defendant.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I can't read minds but the press conference where he spiked the ball and went HAM on the town and media didn't exactly strike me as someone who was real sad that they just failed at their job.

He didn't fail his job. His job was to present the evidence to the grand jury impartially and move forward with a trial if the jury indicted Wilson. You have no concept of Justice if you think the prosecutor 'failed' because an indictment wasn't reached.

----------------

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Narciss posted:

I wasn't aware that it was the DA's job to advocate for both sides. How much do you want to bet he would give someone who wasn't a cop this kind of consideration at the grand jury level?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

aslan posted:

It's my understanding that for larger police departments, the cost of storing the footage (either digitally or physically) and the logistics of keeping it all organized can be cost- and time-prohibitive. The cameras themselves are cheap, but they go through film so quickly that it's a full time job (or three) to wrangle, and it costs plenty of money to store all the film they go through.

I imagine PDs will start working this into their budget over the next few years, especially as they find the benefits pay off (fewer complaints to investigate, few settlements to pay out), but as of right now it's not feasible for a lot of departments.

I want to believe you but you keep talking about film lmao.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Narciss posted:

He didn't fail his job. His job was to present the evidence to the grand jury impartially

You seem really confused about what a prosecutor's job is.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Panzeh posted:

I wasn't aware that it was the DA's job to advocate for both sides.

Did you even read what you quoted?

----------------

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Narciss posted:

He didn't fail his job. His job was to present the evidence to the grand jury impartially and move forward with a trial if the jury indicted Wilson. You have no concept of Justice if you think the prosecutor 'failed' because an indictment wasn't reached.

Wow

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Narciss posted:

Yes, everyone read the dumb poo poo that you wrote.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Narciss posted:

Do you know what a DA's job is? Let me be more real, if your defense attorney is going on about things that incriminate you, you'd have every right to demand a different lawyer.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Narciss posted:

That is not his job.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
Oh crap. Ok, I need to apologize to everyone here. I've been mixing this case up with the Eric Garner case for the duration of the thread.

Sorry! Moving threads now.

----------------

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

final2percent posted:

Is it conclusive that the dude in the convenience store video was Michael Brown, and not just someone who kind of resembles him? I can't tell from the footage, and many are assuming this to be a fact.

Is this the R Kelly defense? C'mon y'all

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Anyone post the link showing McCulloch was linked directly to the 'Support Wilson' fundraiser?

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

bassguitarhero posted:

Obama's giving another speech on Ferguson. He just needs to shut up. Black people carried his rear end through two elections, and the only black person he ever gave a drat about was his buddy Skip Gates.

Mind posting your take on how common this sentiment is, and the extent to which it's been influenced by these events?

E: honest question. Cornel West's recent comments have me wondering.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 26, 2014

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Anyone post the link showing McCulloch was linked directly to the 'Support Wilson' fundraiser?

Kalman posted this last page

http://m.stlamerican.com/news/local_news/article_05fbf85e-3d02-11e4-bbb3-5b590397aedf.html?mode=jqm

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

nutranurse posted:

Holy poo poo, did a bunch of cops seriously just run up to a guy just ejected from a vehicle and start beating him? AND THEY WERE FOUND INNOCENT?

Good god, man, you must have evil in your heart if you can watch that video and think justice was served that day.

We you not alive during Rodney King? This isn't some new phenomena.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Sir Tonk posted:

We you not alive during Rodney King? This isn't some new phenomena.

Be kind. There are a lot of people, apparently, who never knew America had a race problem.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Real hurthling! posted:

The film quote aside, Seattle recently was planning on dropping body cams for that very reason (burden of public records requests). This is at least partially resolved as of last week, but the requester still intends on using the information to demonstrate why open records laws are overly broad.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/stlcountypd/status/537108260692975618

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

bassguitarhero posted:

Obama's giving another speech on Ferguson. He just needs to shut up. Black people carried his rear end through two elections, and the only black person he ever gave a drat about was his buddy Skip Gates. Don't nobody in the black community need Obama to go up there and mimic a white man telling us that we have to continue to wait for justice. We heard that poo poo yesterday, we heard that poo poo a week ago, we heard that last month, and we heard that poo poo every day for 150 years. You can sit down with that poo poo.

Is this what you were hoping for? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW2HF5JzK-M

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

If it's a problem, then reduce the period of time which the records are saved but allow interested parties to collect the records themselves without a process. I guarantee you that there's plenty of NGOs who'd store the data for free.

RavenKrows
May 29, 2008

Oh come on it's just a bunch of hi-point owners.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

eviltastic posted:

Mind posting your take on how common this sentiment is, and the extent to which it's been influenced by these events?

E: honest question.

I dunno about the black people bassguitarhero knows, but in my circle we'll whinge about how useless of a president he's been for black people, but acknowledge that he's hamstrung by a racist, incredibly hostile congress and that half the nation literally thinks he's a kenyan nazi communist muslim so we can't really criticize him too much because racism. It sucks, because I'd love to talk to my white colleagues irl about the many ways Obama has failed the American center-left/left, but that runs the risk of giving some white person the ammunition to just poo poo all over him because of racism. You have to be really careful with what white person you reveal your politics to.

Again, I emphasize how much it sucks that most political agency is taken away from the black community because we either can support racists (by not supporting the d's, or heck, even supporting them in some instances!), ignore certain problems in our black leaders and just be happy we have skin-deep representation (they may not have the same policies as me or my like-minded peers, but at least they're less likely to dismiss us off-hand due to our skin-color, then again they might overcompensate and avidly avoid race issues to not be seen as a problematic minority :v:), or just become politically disengaged.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'd like a president who takes a stance other than "We've made progress, but we also have progress to make" on every issue ever.

BarristaSelmy
Oct 10, 2012

Radbot posted:

where were all these folks when businesses closed for other reasons?

Maybe they are in the thread related to businesses closing due to the economy or poor management.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

eviltastic posted:

E: honest question. Cornel West's recent comments have me wondering.

I can't speak for the entire community, but I don't know anyone in the community that's still got his back. Most folks long since gave up. There was a lot of slack being given again and again - he showed up for his buddy Skip Gates and of course white America got mad so he kind of got quiet but most black people I knew were, "At least he's got Eric Holder as AG so things are happening." Then Trayvon Martin happened and he said "If I had a son, Trayvon Martin would look like him," and black folks I knew were kind of sympathetic because we could at least understand that the state of Florida was starting a trial, so we could see the wheels of justice going.

This time around, he's just dropped the ball. He's basically making a show of how powrless he is. At the end of the day, people are protesting against The Man. And Obama IS The Man. That's what he's making clear. "Keep waiting for justice, black people," he's saying, "You'll get it eventually." We've heard that a billion times. It's not going to do him any favors to go up there and tell us he's doing nothing and WHY he's doing nothing.

Think of it like this: a week ago he went and announced sweeping changes to the immigration system because he was tired of the government refusing to act. Today he's telling us he's powerless to stop white officers from killing black children and that we just need to sit there and take it if we want things to get better.

RavenKrows
May 29, 2008

nutranurse posted:

I dunno about the black people bassguitarhero knows, but in my circle we'll whinge about how useless of a president he's been for black people, but acknowledge that he's hamstrung by a racist, incredibly hostile congress and that half the nation literally thinks he's a kenyan nazi communist muslim so we can't really criticize him too much because racism. It sucks, because I'd love to talk to my white colleagues irl about the many ways Obama has failed the American center-left/left, but that runs the risk of giving some white person the ammunition to just poo poo all over him because of racism. You have to be really careful with what white person you reveal your politics to.

Again, I emphasize how much it sucks that most political agency is taken away from the black community because we either can support racists (by not supporting the d's, or heck, even supporting them in some instances!), ignore certain problems in our black leaders and just be happy we have skin-deep representation (they may not have the same policies as me or my like-minded peers, but at least they're less likely to dismiss us off-hand due to our skin-color, then again they might overcompensate and avidly avoid race issues to not be seen as a problematic minority :v:), or just become politically disengaged.

Have you considered yet that he may just be an ineffective president that most people no longer wish to rally around and it's not actually everyone else's fault he sucks at his job?

aslan
Mar 27, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

It was a colloquialism.

Here's an article from my local paper a while back, talking about a few nearby smaller towns that use body cameras, how much it costs, and why our city hasn't adopted them yet ($$$). It says the footage from a force of 24 officers costs $7500 a year to store, so you can kind of extrapolate that out to how much bigger cities' forces might require.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I stopped watching Z's stream around midnight CST last night when he said "hornet's nest" a lot, what are some of the major things that happened with protests etc since then?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

RavenKrows posted:

Have you considered yet that he may just be an ineffective president that most people no longer wish to rally around and it's not actually everyone else's fault he sucks at his job?

You don't really know how warped black identity can become, especially irt to our political representation. Racism is really, really evil in a whole lot of ways!

TBH, I don't think he's ineffective because he wasn't (and never has been) given near the level of respect or cooperation that your average white president received. To judge him without acknowledging the context which he operates in (i.e. in a still-very-racist country and with a congress whose opposition levels is unprecedented) would be disingenuous as hell.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

nutranurse posted:

You don't really know how warped black identity can become, especially irt to our political representation. Racism is really, really evil in a whole lot of ways!

TBH, I don't think he's ineffective because he wasn't (and never has been) given near the level of respect or cooperation that your average white president got. To judge him without acknowledging the context which he operates in (i.e. in a still-very-racist country and with a congress whose opposition levels is unprecedented) would be disingenuous as hell.

He's a shite president mate. Face it

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Is this the R Kelly defense? C'mon y'all

On what basis, then? There's the crime scene hat and the Johnson grand jury testimony, but since there wasn't any cross-examination it's tough to parse out the credibility of anything, really.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah still don't believe it. Sure there are plenty of ways to rig a cheap semi auto, and I've occasionally seen guns start cycling for no apparent reason, but actual manufactured fully automatic weapons are exceedingly uncommon in crime. Legal ones are crazy loving expensive, and illegal ones (smuggled in or stolen or whatever) may as well not even exist.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

nutranurse posted:

I mean this is why he's had the support he's had for so long, but at the end of the day, the speeches were part of his job interview. He GOT the job. Now folks want him to DO the job. He won't. Giving a speech about how he can't do his job is just pissing on whatever little support he has left.

nutranurse posted:

TBH, I don't think he's ineffective because he wasn't (and never has been) given near the level of respect or cooperation that your average white president received. To judge him without acknowledging the context which he operates in (i.e. in a still-very-racist country and with a congress whose opposition levels is unprecedented) would be disingenuous as hell.

Agreed. A lot of black people STILL are sitting there saying, "Well the problem is that he just can't do anything because of Congress, it's the system that has him down," because we are so used to being beaten down by said system that even when we put a black person in charge of it we honestly don't believe he could do anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

Yeah still don't believe it. Sure there are plenty of ways to rig a cheap semi auto, and I've occasionally seen guns start cycling for no apparent reason, but actual manufactured fully automatic weapons are exceedingly uncommon in crime. Legal ones are crazy loving expensive, and illegal ones (smuggled in or stolen or whatever) may as well not even exist.

Yeah I have no doubt that the citizens of Ferguson have very little to no access to fully automatic weapons.

• Locked thread