Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

Yeah still don't believe it. Sure there are plenty of ways to rig a cheap semi auto, and I've occasionally seen guns start cycling for no apparent reason, but actual manufactured fully automatic weapons are exceedingly uncommon in crime. Legal ones are crazy loving expensive, and illegal ones (smuggled in or stolen or whatever) may as well not even exist.

Yeah I have no doubt that the citizens of Ferguson have very little to no access to fully automatic weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is bassem okay

e: Semi auto guns can be shot pretty fast maybe the police just misidentified it.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

unlimited shrimp posted:

How many people do you think would die if protesters tried to storm a police station?

Burning down buildings of any sort is generally a bad idea, but what the people lack most is coordination. Watching the live feeds last night, people generally outnumbered the police but had no coordination. Individuals were peeled off and kidnapped by groups of four riot cops, the mob could have resisted that illegal action had they stuck together. I'm surprised the cleric at Ferguson didn't talk to the police and ask them to, you know, not break the law and release the people they were attempting to kidnap. If people were coordinated they could strip the weapons and armor from the criminals and send them home. It was fun watching the National Guard sending the crooks packing, the TV news crew helped, too.

Look at me imagining a group of outraged citizens as something other than an easy target, both physically and in terms of media coverage. :shrek:

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

zen death robot posted:

Immigration is a federal thing, since that involves US Citizenship and all. I'll let you figure out the rest from there.

The oversight of local justice systems for civil rights violations is also a federal thing, though.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

zen death robot posted:

Immigration is a federal thing, since that involves US Citizenship and all. I'll let you figure out the rest from there.

It's a good thing that the only possible solution Obama could have had is either give a speech or do nothing.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

zen death robot posted:

The DOJ has been involved with the local justice system here for a few months now.

So we agree that Obama has equal power over the two issues, cool.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Thanks, it's not a perspective I typically get to hear.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

bassguitarhero posted:

Agreed. A lot of black people STILL are sitting there saying, "Well the problem is that he just can't do anything because of Congress, it's the system that has him down," because we are so used to being beaten down by said system that even when we put a black person in charge of it we honestly don't believe he could do anything about it.

I mean, just saying "He's president now, why doesn't he do poo poo!" would be woefully misunderstanding the mechanisms of the federal government. BUT AT THE SAME TIME, I just wish Obama would go full 2nd-term-giving-no-fucks mode and just got whatever he needs done done. This would tank his legacy with the white population, though, but what does that even matter when you've got the white opposition literally calling things like the recent immigration decisions a war on white america. (Seriously, I'm just waiting for someone in congress to utter the 14 words).

At the end of the day I just feel really loving bad for the guy because being the first black president must suck. Maybe the 3rd or 4th one will do some stuff to better the life of the average minority in this country. :shrug:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
You know, none of this would have happened if cops just had to keep their guns in the trunk instead of on their hip like cowboys.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

bassguitarhero posted:

It's a good thing that the only possible solution Obama could have had is either give a speech or do nothing.

What explicitly would you want him to do. Like right now. No 'well he could have' nor 'maybe he should' I'm talking concrete action that he himself could actually do that would make you say, "That is a good president."

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You know, none of this would have happened if cops just had to keep their guns in the trunk instead of on their hip like cowboys.

But then he might have been punched to death before he could get his gun.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

nutranurse posted:

I mean, just saying "He's president now, why doesn't he do poo poo!" would be woefully misunderstanding the mechanisms of the federal government. BUT AT THE SAME TIME, I just wish Obama would go full 2nd-term-giving-no-fucks mode and just got whatever he needs done done. This would tank his legacy with the white population, though, but what does that even matter when you've got the white opposition literally calling things like the recent immigration decisions a war on white america. (Seriously, I'm just waiting for someone in congress to utter the 14 words).

At the end of the day I just feel really loving bad for the guy because being the first black president must suck. Maybe the 3rd or 4th one will do some stuff to better the average minority's life in the country. :shrug:

I think people just want to feel that he gives a poo poo about the black community, and because he's been trying so hard to please the white people of America by showing absolutely no racial preference whatsoever, all he's done is alienate folks and make them think he doesn't care. Maybe he doesn't. But George W Bush could make a big deal about being "Texan" and all that entails and Bill Clinton rocked the whole "first 'black' President" thing, but there has been no point at which Obama's truly shown a passion for being a part of a community.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I still can't get over the weird conflicting reports of Brown vs. Wilson.

Did Brown actually charge him crazy like a bull, or was he staggering because he'd been shot and was freaking out about it? Was he on the ground hands up, or was he stumbling with hands out in a charge?

If someone can help me clarify that a lot more easily because apparently the state of Missouri can't.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

zen death robot posted:

He has had the DOJ crawling up the local police departments and poo poo for months now?

Yes we've heard the "Just be patience, justice will come your way," songs for, oh, about 400 years now. The first ones I think were being whispered on the underground railroad. But maybe this time will be different. Thanks for noticing.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FinalGamer posted:

Did Brown actually charge him crazy like a bull, or was he staggering because he'd been shot and was freaking out about it? Was he on the ground hands up, or was he stumbling with hands out in a charge?

If someone can help me clarify that a lot more easily because apparently the state of Missouri can't.

The only "reliable" witness says brown deserved to die. So there's that.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

FinalGamer posted:

That's normally the sort of question a trial would clear up.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

RavenKrows posted:

Have you considered yet that he may just be an ineffective president that most people no longer wish to rally around and it's not actually everyone else's fault he sucks at his job?

You have to remember that the vast majority of posters here are pretty young and were not politically aware for Clinton, which explains why they are so convinced it's all because of racism and not what happens to every democrat in office.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

FinalGamer posted:

That would require something like a trial to examine evidence in depth but, yea, that might be problematic for concerned parties to proceed with.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

Berk Berkly posted:

What explicitly would you want him to do. Like right now. No 'well he could have' nor 'maybe he should' I'm talking concrete action that he himself could actually do that would make you say, "That is a good president."

He could lead a mass migration of blacks back to Africa. Then they couldn't blame whites for all their woes.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Berk Berkly posted:

im p sure that if anyone in this thread had something like that they'd be trying to get elected to local government

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

bassguitarhero posted:

I think people just want to feel that he gives a poo poo about the black community, and because he's been trying so hard to please the white people of America by showing absolutely no racial preference whatsoever, all he's done is alienate folks and make them think he doesn't care. Maybe he doesn't. But George W Bush could make a big deal about being "Texan" and all that entails and Bill Clinton rocked the whole "first 'black' President" thing, but there has been no point at which Obama's truly shown a passion for being a part of a community.

Well, the reason GWB and Clinton could pander to those identities is because, as white men in America, they can do whatever the gently caress they want. Obama's black and being black is enough to disqualify your opinion on black issues, doubly so if you show any passion. I'd love to say "stop pandering to white people," but for better or for worse (mostly worse, have you loving seen middle-america where the populations tend to be whiter than driven snow? each state is a uniquely awful bumfuckistan) white people make up more of the electorate and considerably more of the donor pool and still control the narrative.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Berk Berkly posted:

That would require something like a trial to examine evidence in depth but, yea, that might be problematic for concerned parties to proceed with.
Yeah um, is it just me or wouldn't the very fact that there's a huge amount of conflicting evidence mean you would HAVE to take this to trial in order to, like, figure this all out?

I feel like the State of Missouri just had a pretend trial, got to show all their poo poo to people clearly either not caring OR not really trained at a high-enough level because it's an indictment not a trial, and still get away with it because they didn't get the full force of the law on them.

That's basically it right? They got away by having a pretend trial because the full law wasn't being used to figure out this incident?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ankle-biter posted:

He could lead a mass migration of blacks back to Africa. Then they couldn't blame whites for all their woes.

Africa is also hosed up, because of white people. White people are awful and deserve death.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This also happens to apply to quite a few of these ridiculous shootings that keep popping up.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
poo poo the whole kenya muslim thing is actually pretty drat tame compared to the conspiracies thrown at bill and hillary.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

FinalGamer posted:

The shot with his hands up can be discarded entirely, the only reason anyone still claims that is because it was the first thing to come out of the shooting. Based on the pictures of his death and the statements I think the most realistic scenario is him headed back towards Wilson with one or both of his hands on his waistband keeping his pants up, which combined with the baggy/sagging pants would give him a hunched over "rush" type posture

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

zen death robot posted:

OK so you want vengeance. Cool, thanks for clearing that up.

Yep, that's definitely what I said. "Vengeance" It's right there in all the poo poo you just made up.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

semper wifi posted:

The shot with his hands up can be discarded entirely, the only reason anyone still claims that is because it was the first thing to come out of the shooting. Based on the pictures of his death and the statements I think the most realistic scenario is him headed back towards Wilson with one or both of his hands on his waistband keeping his pants up, which combined with the baggy/sagging pants would give him a hunched over "rush" type posture

Reminder that this poster is terrified, actually terrified, of black people.

Like you know how kids are scared of ghosts and monsters? That is semper wifi, but with dark skinned people.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Africa is also hosed up, because of white people. White people are awful and deserve death.

Ah, yes. But it is the other posters who are the racists.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

semper wifi posted:

You're a real Sherlock Holmes!

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

semper wifi posted:

lol link to the pictures of his death please.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

zen death robot posted:

OK so you want vengeance. Cool, thanks for clearing that up.

Not really. It's just a bit disheartening and tiresome to see not all that much has changed in 400 years. A lot of minorities have no confidence that the justice system is going to protect if they need it. It's not about vengeance.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'm not even black and I felt absolutely crushed seeing Obama give that same boilerplate speech everyone gave. Oh boy he threw in a timid acknowledgement that Missouri has race problems too, carefully calibrated as to not make anyone who willfully ignores that fact feel too bad about themselves. What a guy.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

tsa posted:

poo poo the whole kenya muslim thing is actually pretty drat tame compared to the conspiracies thrown at bill and hillary.

I dunno, questioning the legitimacy of your citizenship/presidency/'Americanness' solely because of your skin color is pretty loving awful, but not necessarily something I would expect a white person (assuming this is what you are) to understand because they are the 'default American'. It flies in the face of the fact that blacks have been a part of America longer than some white populations, and is just overall really goddamned insulting because it's straight up saying your homeland isn't your homeland because you have dark skin.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

nutranurse posted:

Well, the reason GWB and Clinton could pander to those identities is because, as white men in America, they can do whatever the gently caress they want. Obama's black and being black is enough to disqualify your opinion on black issues, doubly so if you show any passion. I'd love to say "stop pandering to white people," but for better or for worse (mostly worse, have you loving seen middle-america where the populations tend to be whiter than driven snow? each state is a uniquely awful bumfuckistan) white people make up more of the electorate and considerably more of the donor pool and still control the narrative.

Absolutely, but the disheartening thing is that you can't even be passionate about a black issue in a way that's positive without it coming across as negative to the white community. That's what's so hosed up about the whole thing. GWB could be Texan as all get-out and people would still be like, "But he can still support the other 49 states," but if Obama said, "Being black is important to me, because..." that would be it, folks would say, "Yeah that's it he wants to burn us all alive and kill us."

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

Gropiemon posted:

lol link to the pictures of his death please.

http://www.everyjoe.com/wp-content/gallery/michael-brown/michael-brown-dead.jpg

pants half off, hands underneath him at waistband level

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Reminder that this poster is terrified, actually terrified, of black people.

reminder that you've spent like 15 posts claiming that mike brown would never have assaulted a cop and that i'm a massive racist for implying there might be dangerous civil unrest after the verdict

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

zen death robot posted:

What did I make up?

Please point out the part in my quote where I said "Vengeance"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

semper wifi posted:

reminder that you've spent like 15 posts claiming that mike brown would never have assaulted a cop and that i'm a massive racist for implying there might be dangerous civil unrest after the verdict

At least I'm not scared of black people. Like if you went into a dark room and there was a black person in there, you would probably scream in a hilarious high pitched way.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
This is page 666. Make it count.

:unsmigghh:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There also wasn't "dangerous civil unrest" until the police began tear gassing and shooting protesters.

• Locked thread