Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This may take longer to set up than I thought, but there's already one opportunity for total comedy GOLD in the first screen of the next update. Muahahahahhahahahahahha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Speedball posted:

This may take longer to set up than I thought, but there's already one opportunity for total comedy GOLD in the first screen of the next update. Muahahahahhahahahahahha.

Looking forward to it! Your writing and humor in this LP is great, take all the time you need to pull off the update, we'll wait patiently for the promised hilarity.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Got SOME of it done, bunch of screenshots taken and text written down, but not enough for a full update. I think I'm suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder, my energy levels are dropping significantly.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I think that the X-COM facility would have some sunlamps down there to avoid that, wouldn't they? Anyways, hope you feel better soon, and do get some sun - even if it's cold outside.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Got some sunlight and got more screens taken. I'm going in a funkier direction than before. VERY funky.

...balancing between hope eternal and crushing depression regarding my talents. It's been one of THOSE days.

One of the upcoming jokes is kind of an easy target, based on a truly ridiculous animation that occurs in X-Com. But I like it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

Got some sunlight and got more screens taken. I'm going in a funkier direction than before. VERY funky.

So there's a 70's mod for soldier appearances?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Maybe not THAT funky. There are tragically no giant afro hairstyles available.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

Maybe not THAT funky. There are tragically no giant afro hairstyles available.

My tired brain read this as "Tragically giant afro".

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!

Section Z posted:

My tired brain read this as "Tragically giant afro".

Tragic no Giant Afro is probably my favorite anime these days.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Eponymous posted:

Tragic no Giant Afro is probably my favorite anime these days.

Nabeshin?

There was no update this weekend but I still got some more work done on it. It's going to be a big one, the alien base is after all a big thing. I might have to chop it up into two parts anyway. Plus it's going to get....intense. What with our first encounter with a telepath.

Also every time I think about New World I just get loving pissed off.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Speedball posted:

Also every time I think about New World I just get loving pissed off.

New world? what do you mean by that?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
IT's the compilation he's trying to get a story into.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bah, it's nothing. I'm fine now. Finishing today's update. Expect it in less than an hour.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Part 24: Alien Base Assault, Part 1

I feel…strong!
Ms. Van Doorn, the procedure seems to have been a success! Your musculature, particularly in your legs, has been enhanced. You should be able to lift many times your original body weight, which means—

Jumpy legs!
No, no, wait, not here!

OWWW! MY HEAD!
…*sigh*

You’ll really like her, mom, she’s… Hilda?!
Mffft!
You’re dating a pair of legs sticking out of the ceiling?
Nrah! Don’t look!
A pair of invisible legs. Neat.

While Dr. Vahlen was ooing and aahing over alien mutagen, those of us with applied science degrees have been working on the mystery of this Outsider crystal.

It’s an antennae, a means of communication with the hidden alien base on Earth. Studying the signals it picked up and triangulation has lead us to a single area in Africa.

An underground base, hidden in Africa. How are we going to get in there?

I have an idea about that, too. With enough of our salvaged alien tech, I can turn our crystal into a “skeleton key,” with a fake signal that will make them think one of their ships is coming back home to roost, just like our VTOLS. The ground-level hatch opens up, and we send a team in through the roof by fast-rope descent.
Oooh, just like the ninjas attacking the hidden base in You Only Live Twice! Get to it, Dr. Shen!

Oh, you only get one chance at a good first impression and that was not a good first impression. I’m a hardened soldier, really, I am! I kill people all the time!
Hah, that’s fine. You seem alright. I’ll make you a deal: you don’t make my life hell, and I don’t make your life hell.
Heh, I’ll take it.

Sorry to cut the bonding short, everyone, but we’re assaulting the alien base NOW. We can’t afford any more alien shennanigans on earth and most of the Council has been breathing down our necks for results. The aliens get stronger every day as more of their UFOs infiltrate the earth, so we’re going to deny them a landing pad.

Sorry, Rhino, but you’re not going out on this mission. I know you’ve got your own… “experiences…” but you still need to go through integration before you’re ready. You can torment Cam in-mission another day.
drat… Yes, sir.
And I’d love to have you along, Hugo, but instead I’m sending the SHIV because there’s an outside possibility of us running into either Chrysalids or that telepathic Sectoid that tried to brainwash Allen. You can control it, though!
Sweet!
SHIV awaiting input.
Whoah, it talks?
It’s got a primitive learning algorithm scavenged from the alien disc robot thing. The more it interacts with us the better it’ll perform. Eventually it may go completely unmanned. Anyway, ladies: You’re off to save the world. Have fun and good luck!

Finally. Our chance at a little payback for all those terror missions and kidnappings. What are the odds we’ll find and rescue some kidnapped people?
Uh…fifty-fifty. They might be being taken as slaves or genetic samples, or they might be food. Whatever the reason they need a lot of us, though, so odds are good that even if the whole place is a slaughterhouse we can save the people at the front of the production line.
Heh, yeah, think on the bright side.

Well, whatever you do, don’t rush. And don’t shoot or blow up anything if you don’t know what it is, because we’re scavenging the hell out of this place, okay? And be very, very, VERY careful. This is most likely where that telepathic commander we’ve heard about roosts. It might see you before you can see it.

Wheee!
SHHH!
Sorry.

Everybody, check your corners, and…ugh.

People pods. Some of them still look alive…others look kind of…messed-up. Mutated to death.

I’ll notify the recovery vehicle it’ll be on double duty.
drat. If I’m not careful that’ll be ME.

…are those MEAT TUBES in the distance?!
Two paths, lots of open space. I’ll try to position myself to be able to snipe either side.
Right. Time to split up.

Right, let’s go! Leroy, Bar-Lev and me to the left, the rest to the right!

Three floaters to the right!

I’m pinned down!
I’ll get them! One rocket away!

AAUGH! I misfired! Nooo!
Haaah—haaaaah…haaaahhhh…
G-gg…I’m dying…

Unknown incoming! What the hell are these things? Drones?!
Take cover! Try to knock ‘em down!

They’re coming for us! Eva, stay back! AIIIIEEE!

Aggggg…

Hugo…down…and…so…am I…EVA…RUN!

AAAUUUGGGHH! NOOOOO! IT’S ALL MY FAULT!

OW! Those drones BITE!

Jesus, it survived a laser blast! Mimi, get the hell out of there! You’re taking too much fire!
No! It’s my JOB to be the tough one! I have to…save…everyone…!

*blubbering*
EVA! TAKE COVER!
I have to save his dog tags…or his DNA…or his brain! There has to be a way! There has to be a way! I… baaaahhhaaa-haaa-haaa-huuhhhh… all I’m good for is crying like a baaaby…

Gugggghhh…

Gggggg…going down…
NO!

Cammy, they’re all dead! They’re all dead, and it’s your fault! We were following YOUR direction, you idiot!
No, I…
Eva, Hugo, Hilda, Mimi…they’re gone!
Wait a minute. Hugo?

Hugo wasn’t with us.
Yes he was! He was even with us on the skyranger!
…no. He was remotely piloting a SHIV.

Telepathic commander… this is an illusion!
What? That’s stupid!
I’m a loving game developer and sci-fi buff, I know when I’m being played. This is textbook poo poo. Make the commander think they’ve failed their troops and watch them all die? Seen it.
…huh. You’re a tough one, Cam.

: Have it your way. Let’s do things…differently.

To Be Continued!

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Speedball, this is yet another great one- if it makes you feel worse about that compliment, I'm now trying to figure out who I can ship Rhino with that doesn't break established relationships.
Rhino x Zin otp.
Or better yet- I bet her and Van Doorn'd have a wild time.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

When Hugo died first, I did a double-take. So was that a repurposed failure run or did you actively kill half the team to get the footage?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

When Hugo died first, I did a double-take. So was that a repurposed failure run or did you actively kill half the team to get the footage?

The latter. If you see in the first screenshot we've got a SHIV in the starting screen. And also when Watkins is running to the left, the sprint-cam shows Hilda and Bar-Lev, but Hilda went to the right.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Neopie posted:

Speedball, this is yet another great one- if it makes you feel worse about that compliment, I'm now trying to figure out who I can ship Rhino with that doesn't break established relationships.
Rhino x Zin otp.
Or better yet- I bet her and Van Doorn'd have a wild time.

So you don't think Father and Daughter dating Mother and Daughter respectively is slightly off?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

"Pink skin, no overbites, and five fingers on each hand!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsbLffv2y3U

...actually they're already mutants.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Shipping knows no bounds. Alternatively, I thought about that for literally thirty seconds.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Well played, Speedball, well played.

I had an inkling something was wrong when Hugo got hurt, but I didn't catch it till Cam did.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I thought something was squiffly with "misfire". Who the deuce misfires a rocket?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I thought something was squiffly with "misfire". Who the deuce misfires a rocket?

Heavies do have a pesky 10% chance to miss disastrously with every rocket they fire.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Wait. Really? I thought that was just one of those :xcom: math things.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Man that was a good one! Nice job playing up the commander's influence on the team.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

XCOM agents. Rockets are really reliable until that 10% chance kicks in.

Then they veer off by 2 degrees, hit some scenery and explode in your team's faces. Bonus points if you have someone behind a car that gets promptly exploded.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ViggyNash posted:

Well played, Speedball, well played.

I had an inkling something was wrong when Hugo got hurt, but I didn't catch it till Cam did.

Yeah, I was definitely thinking "Wait, this setup is completely different from how they were specced when they dropped in. Shenanigans!"

Also, I'm sad we didn't get to see Bar-Lev and the SHIV fast-roping in.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, I was definitely thinking "Wait, this setup is completely different from how they were specced when they dropped in. Shenanigans!"

Alien shenanigans or bad editing shenanigans? Heh heh heh. What's a continuity error and what's real?

quote:

Also, I'm sad we didn't get to see Bar-Lev and the SHIV fast-roping in.

I know, right? There's no animation for a MEC or a SHIV descending! (and if you're cheeky and use an all-SHIV team it just skips the cutscene)

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Speedball posted:

I know, right? There's no animation for a MEC or a SHIV descending! (and if you're cheeky and use an all-SHIV team it just skips the cutscene)
Don't MECs just drop in without a rope in that scene? I seem to recall it being really late too--you get the team looking around and the briefing from Central, and then your team readies their weapons and WHAM the MEC drops in out of nowhere.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Don't MECs just drop in without a rope in that scene? I seem to recall it being really late too--you get the team looking around and the briefing from Central, and then your team readies their weapons and WHAM the MEC drops in out of nowhere.

Okay, yeah, I stand corrected. Still, it's just for a second.

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
... goddamnit, you bastard, you actually got me. For a moment there, I thought you'd actually done that. I hate you a little, now.

dear gods please write more

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Nice gimmick. Let's see how this plays out.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I was really, really confused for a moment when you killed Hugo. Then I decided it was a nightmare on the flight to the actual battle so you could show a failed run. So I still got fooled!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

...got my hands on Beyond Earth.

...yeah, NO. No LP. Sorry, fans of Snake In History and previous Civ LPs I did. UGH. Can't do it. Totally inferior to Endless Legend. Needs more expansions and way better mods.

That said, I think I will do an Endless Legend LP next year. Should be awesome.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Speedball posted:

...yeah, NO. No LP. Sorry, fans of Snake In History and previous Civ LPs I did. UGH. Can't do it. Totally inferior to Endless Legend. Needs more expansions and way better mods.

So no Space Snake...

What about Fantasy Snake?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Speedball posted:

I feel like the only one that liked Beyond Earth. :(

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Speedball posted:

...yeah, NO.

Give it a few years and another $75 in expansions and see if you reconsider... Can't not have noticed that nothing is not released incomplete and that this trend will continue to fail to stop disappointing.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Speedball posted:

FANTASY SNAKE

YUS

But I wonder, would it be Big Boss? Or Solid Snake?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well a big issue with narrative LPs is they need something with a little flavor to work with. Beyond Earth has no flavor. Like, at all.

The interface is similarly unintuitive. All the buttons are the same color, it's so boring to look at. Unit icons don't make much sense compared to the immediately easy-to-understand unit icons of Civ V. I think what the guy from Errant Signal said is right, in outer space, Civ loses its moorings.

Contrast with Endless Legend where all sides are visually and mechancally distinct from one another. There's only three unit types a side, but they only NEED three unit types a side; you either customize them or get mercenary units from minor factions. The interface is easy to understand and while there are some systems that need a slightly better tutorial for the most part you can tell what does what in regions of the tech wheel: down is always social/happiness/political upgrades, left is money and food, right is science and industry and up is military. Trade routes are totally automatic.

I mean, it's not flawless, far from it, but Beyond Earth is a product that had all its hard edges sanded off leaving a personality-less blob while EL is _dripping_ with personality and lore. And this is coming off that company's previous effort, Endless Space, which was about as fun for me to play as eating cardboard, so it's kind of amazing to see them now doing donuts around Beyond Earth.

Probably wouldn't go back to the Snake well for a narrative EL experience. I do have notions, though...heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ViggyNash posted:

I feel like the only one that liked Beyond Earth. :(

No, you're not. Then again, I haven't played Endless Legend and never played SMAC when it was relevant so I don't have colored opinions on it. :shrug:

• Locked thread